Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

Funny thought: the VBS2 method looks 'suspiciously' like what third-person shooters like Metal Gear Solid 4 or the Gears of War series use. :D

I see a LOT of potential for a Hunting game with this engine

-BIG VARIETY OF WILD ANIMALS TO HUNT . I would play this ALL DAY

arma 3 already has coop, weapon storage, vehicle storage great comm, all the guns you could want.

make it a mod I dont care just someone do it Please. all we need is a good animal AI maybe BI can work on it as a side project..

weapon storage, vehicle storage great comm,
Frankly speaking, Carzilla, what is this part even supposed to mean?

But frankly speaking, it's more likely that you can just make a hunting mission in the Editor. :p I mean, a hunting "game"? What do you even mean by that, and how would it differ from simply tossing animals onto Limnos or Stratis, along with your player character, some firearms and a vehicle? ;)

Frankly speaking, Carzilla, what is this part even supposed to mean?

But frankly speaking, it's more likely that you can just make a hunting mission in the Editor. :p I mean, a hunting "game"? What do you even mean by that, and how would it differ from simply tossing animals onto Limnos or Stratis, along with your player character, some firearms and a vehicle? ;)

NO, a hunting game mod. Im saying that this engine has alot of good features for a hunting game. ex. storage, transportation. communication, Land mass. it just needs a re skin and some big game animals.

Carzilla are you sure that there is "big variety of big wild animals to hunt" on the Greek islands Lemnos and Agios Efstratios? :D

would be a good idea to provide that arma3 can support Team Speak natively instead of having to install mods ... so the server will have less workload

Bye!!

would be a good idea to provide that arma3 can support Team Speak natively instead of having to install mods ... so the server will have less workload

Bye!!

And some people prefer Mumble over TS. TS updates way too frequently.

My wishes for Arma3? Hm

I would wish me that Arma3 returns a little back to the roots.

Meaning:

1.) Smooth controls like in Ofp combined with realistic vehicle physics. In Arma2 the controls are a nightmare in my opinion. Everything is very blurry.

2.) Also related to controls: Proper air vehicle controls. In Ofp it may have been limited in many aspects but at least people were able to fly their craft. In Arma2 it is more like a flight sim. If I want a flight simulator I play a real one not Arma2. Perhaps add 2 control schematics one that's like in arma2 and one for worse pilots that's like in ofp or similar.

3.) AI improvements. The Ai in Arma2 felt somewhat superior uber human like but at the same time also more than once very stupid.

4.) Better physics seeing how tanks drive against a 1m thick wall and suddenly end up on their on their rear is simply a no go. Ofp & Arma1 had better physics than Arma2 in that regard. At least tanks back there could pass obstacles without turning their vehicles on their back.

5.) Improved performance. I never was a big fan of the streaming technology but I can see that it wont work without it these days. Find a way to reduce the hardware requirements.

6.) For a chance a story line that is trilling & epic just like in the good of days of ofp. Never really liked the stories in Arma1 & 2. But then again I disliked the entire eastern Europe, mid east setting and couldn't simply get warm with it.

7.) Return to large military operations instead of small special forces assignments and fighting minor terrorists. Try to bring back a mix of all of it.

8.) Take your time this time do not release a half unfinished and bugged game.

9.) Please get rid of those terrible menus when you open the map. Something like back in ofp would be nice a note block you can drag away if it annoys you. The way it is in Arma2 is rather frustrating when you're in the middle of a firefight and want to give move orders on the map. No first first you have to deselect your soldiers again and press backspace in order to get rid of the command task bar simply annoying.

10.) Why does the player have to switch his weapon or press the fire button after leaving the "Map". Also very annoying I hope that wont return in Arma3. When leaving the "map" the player should be combat ready again.

11.) Make it possible in Arma3 that you can once again scroll the menus upside down. At the moment you have to scroll all from top to bottom and opposite very time consuming. Wasn't like that in my good old favorite Ofp.

12.) For Arma3 I wish me that animation names make sense again just like back then in ofp.

13.) Watched one of those DayZ videos recently were Dean talked about instances for underground levels. I would wish me the exact same feature for Arma3. Combat is just not always taking place on the surface and you're going the right direction that you allow diving in arma3. Could be linked to a new form of trigger. Change_instance and there the player can select of a pre created list of underground maps or self created maps either done in the editor itself and saved as new special mission type like intro,outro etc. or with a terrain editor.

Edited by 23-Down

My wishes for Arma3? Hm

I would wish me that Arma3 returns a little back to the roots.

Meaning:

1.) Smooth controls like in Ofp combined with realistic vehicle physics. In Arma2 the controls are a nightmare in my opinion. Everything is very blurry.

2.) Also related to controls: Proper air vehicle controls. In Ofp it may have been limited in many aspects but at least people were able to fly their craft. In Arma2 it is more like a flight sim. If I want a flight simulator I play a real one not Arma2. Perhaps add 2 control schematics one that's like in arma2 and one for worse pilots that's like in ofp or similar.

3.) AI improvements. The Ai in Arma2 felt somewhat superior uber human like but at the same time also more than once very stupid.

4.) Better physics seeing how tanks drive against a 1m thick wall and suddenly end up on their on their rear is simply a no go. Ofp & Arma1 had better physics than Arma2 in that regard. At least tanks back there could pass obstacles without turning their vehicles on their back.

5.) Improved performance. I never was a big fan of the streaming technology but I can see that it wont work without it these days. Find a way to reduce the hardware requirements.

6.) For a chance a story line that is trilling & epic just like in the good of days of ofp. Never really liked the stories in Arma1 & 2. But then again I disliked the entire eastern Europe, mid east setting and couldn't simply get warm with it.

7.) Return to large military operations instead of small special forces assignments and fighting minor terrorists. Try to bring back a mix of all of it.

8.) Take your time this time do not release a half unfinished and bugged game.

9.) Please get rid of those terrible menus when you open the map. Something like back in ofp would be nice a note block you can drag away if it annoys you. The way it is in Arma2 is rather frustrating when you're in the middle of a firefight and want to give move orders on the map. No first first you have to deselect your soldiers again and press backspace in order to get rid of the command task bar simply annoying.

10.) Why does the player have to switch his weapon or press the fire button after leaving the "Map". Also very annoying I hope that wont return in Arma3. When leaving the "map" the player should be combat ready again.

11.) Make it possible in Arma3 that you can once again scroll the menus upside down. At the moment you have to scroll all from top to bottom and opposite very time consuming. Wasn't like that in my good old favorite Ofp.

12.) For Arma3 I wish me that animation names make sense again just like back then in ofp.

13.) Watched one of those DayZ videos recently were Dean talked about instances for underground levels. I would wish me the exact same feature for Arma3. Combat is just not always taking place on the surface and you're going the right direction that you allow diving in arma3. Could be linked to a new form of trigger. Change_instance and there the player can select of a pre created list of underground maps or self created maps either done in the editor itself and saved as new special mission type like intro,outro etc. or with a terrain editor.

1 and 2 With ofp do you mean the old( cold war crisis) or the newer codemasters game(dragon rising)

1 The controls are being more fluid and responsive, as well as there are more controls for qcb.

2 The flight model is probably the most arcady about Arma 2, its not that hard if you put some time into it.

3 Hopefully that will change for Arma 3.

4 One word :PhysX

5 From what we have seen it has been some improvements on that front.

6 Well IMO it sounds good so far(and Limnos is freaking beautiful)

7 Im pretty sure the Iranians cant be called minor terrorists, thats for sure.

8 They are trying (and that whats the alpha is for)

9 Dont understand, sorry

10 Never actually though of that

11 no comment :)

12 no comment :)

13 Apperantly they experimented with that but the AI never worked properly, maybe until the release.

Carzilla are you sure that there is "big variety of big wild animals to hunt" on the Greek islands Lemnos and Agios Efstratios? :D

Probably not, But I Did mention it should be a mod.

I'll try to be brief and realistic:

For proper sniper concealment, a few criteria would have to be met:

open terrain:

The ghillie suit base is great, but ideally there would be a button which, when activated, caused the soldier to "veg up" incrementally. Holding the button would essentially delete a portion of whatever foliage was around the soldier and add it (in a predetermined, character model already created) to the ghillie suit. Perhaps five increments. Hold down a button for 5 seconds, there are small yellow daffodils deleted from the terrain and the soldier has a few on him. Five seconds more, and now the character model has a few more.

The vegetation must be able to be "burned through" or focused past. When near a pocket of grass for example, the keyhole effect would cause you to still be able to see pretty well through the grass, while making you much more difficult to detect. Clippers to delete small amounts of vegetation to create loopholes would also help.

draw distance: there is no point in hiding in grass if your opponent's computer never renders it. Given that the human eye can only perceive so much detail at a given range, I think it would be fair to have a prone soldier show up as a nearly indistinguishable dot amongst the countryside when viewed through the naked eye at range. When scoped in, let's render all aspects of the terrain simultaneously. I admit I am not familiar with exactly how the game engine does this, so just take it as a basic idea of what needs to be accomplished for proper concealment simulation.

Indoors:

If we could have a netting that could be placed on windows to darken the inside, that would be ideal. Perhaps in conjunction with a dark blanket for the backdrop. This will mostly come down to lighting, and the acknowledgement that this is a simulator, and as scarey and unfair as it is, a properly concealed sniper in the rear of a dark room, is, for all intents and purposes, invisible. If you think he is there, hit it with a tank shell, but you will never see him. Or if you do see something, you will never be sure it's a rifleman.

Sufficiently busy interiors (furniture, etc), maybe curtains or blinds (that can be interacted with to shift in maybe 3 positions?), would also help.

Can we get some tall office buildings with a lot of windows? Huge target, I know, but they would be fun to assault, shoot from, and ultimately blow up with airstrikes.

Quickly off topic; I hope I will be able to use track ir5 to change positions similar to lean left and right in arma 2. I would love to be peeking left right, up down and all around while playing.

Thank you

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but what about giving the ACRE guys early access to the game, so they can release the game with ACRE available from day 1? Personally I'm dreading the prospect that the time it'll take before there's ACRE for Arma 3 will constitute, with everyone hearing each other all the time no matter how far away they are. For me, ACRE probably adds more to the game than any other addon, as it's the most realistic and fundamental one.

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but what about giving the ACRE guys early access to the game, so they can release the game with ACRE available from day 1? Personally I'm dreading the prospect that the time it'll take before there's ACRE for Arma 3 will constitute, with everyone hearing each other all the time no matter how far away they are. For me, ACRE probably adds more to the game than any other addon, as it's the most realistic and fundamental one.
Why do you believe that the ACRE devs deserve any favoritism over any other would-be modder?

Not favoritism, it's got more to do with that AFAIK no other modders have made anything in ACRE's "dimension" so to speak. I can't think of anyone else who's made that sort of a mod, and my view on it is that it is probably the most useful, authentic mod there is in the game as it simulates something that is very elementary. Ever since I first used it I have really fallen in love with it. I mean, in a game like Arma, it simply doesn't make any sense that you're either stuck with having +20 guys who can all hear each other no matter how far away, or if you use whisper (TS3) in which case it's almost weirder since you can talk to guys who are on the other end of the map but not someone right next to you.

Mods will be possible in the Alpha already.

According to the currently available footage of Arma 3 Bohemia still didn't include the Reallife-feature of having one bullet in the chamber.

The actual capacity of a gun should vary if it has been reloaded while a round is still chambered. (30+1 as an example, so called tactical reload)

I know this is really a minor thing. But is a key element if handling with weapons and this shouldn't be missing in a military simulation.

That's something that is done even in arcade shooters such as BF3 and COD (since the 2, at least). This could mean something?

We are making weapons and items ‘entitiesâ€, meaning we can support customization and variables assigned against items.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

First off what I say is not any hatred directed to ACRE devs, I do love the mod.

But I don't feel they should be given access to the game just to make their mod work in Arma 3 from day 1. Every mod adds to the game, some more then others yes but why should ACRE get it before any other modder/mod team just to make it work? Why can't I get it early too port my addons? Why can't ACE or CWR2?

Everyone should have to start work on ports at the same time to be fair.

EDIT: There's a reason that no one else has made something like it, once it's done no one else usually bothers doing large complex work like that.

Well, the reason I put forward was that ACRE brings a very fundamental realistic aspect into the game which no other mod brings, but never mind really since I didn't know that there'd be modding for the alpha.

Sorry scrim, "ACRE brings a very fundamental realistic aspect into the game which no other mod brings" is favoritism on your part. :p The ACRE devs can wait for the community alpha like everyone else.

Smurf, to me it sounds like the DayZDev Tumblr remark about "weapons as entities" is their way of saying that they're bringing the modular attachment system in as an innate thing instead of just providing an attachments menu like ASC Weapons... notable since this is happening with RV3 (even if rocket previously described the engine iteration as "Arma 2.5") but of little surface importance to Arma 3, since I imagine that it's due to the client-server architecture switch compared to earlier RV3 and presumably RV4 still favoring the client.

weapons and other items as entities just means they can bring in degredation. this is a very important concept in a game where you loot stuff. without, the world eventually becomes cluttered with too much stuff.

dayz at the moment (mod) suffers from having too much stuff it breaks the difficulty and the interest drops off.

Well, the reason I put forward was that ACRE brings a very fundamental realistic aspect into the game which no other mod brings, but never mind really since I didn't know that there'd be modding for the alpha.

Well if mods are able to be used during the alpha stage, then all devs have the chance to work on their mods for the game's release.

Guess time will tell.

Sorry scrim, "ACRE brings a very fundamental realistic aspect into the game which no other mod brings" is favoritism on your part. :p The ACRE devs can wait for the community alpha like everyone else.

Really? Because as far as I'm aware, there is actually no other mod that enables even somewhat realistic communication with others. And as I wrote just above there, I said it doesn't matter now that I know modding will exist in the alpha, but thank you for informing me of what I mentioned.

Really? Because as far as I'm aware, there is actually no other mod that enables even somewhat realistic communication with others. And as I wrote just above there, I said it doesn't matter now that I know modding will exist in the alpha, but thank you for informing me of what I mentioned.

True that I believe productive members and especially modders of the community should get first dibs - if they're going to work on mods before the game even comes out then jeez that would be good. The question is what will ARMA 3 change that will make it better or worse.