Threw something together. No functionality yet just a background. Got some extra buttons(dunno what they could do). Was thinking of covering button area with map control showing player location or maybe directional indicator. This would mean moving the power button somewhere else. Any thoughts on some text for next to your icon? Like the detectors model name or maybe just mod name. Pic in spoiler. @zagor64bc - Thanks for the sweet icon!

It looks nice but can you rescale a bit smaller?

The text could be like: JSHK Contamination, LLC or some stupid businessy looking shit, lol. That thing looks awesome Soolie. And for this, let's keep it more to the point of the functionality of a "detector", it shouldn't be a GPS type device or really provide much of anything outside turning *beeping* on/off and possibly a detection strength/direction indicator. Unless that's what you meant Soolie, I just read what you put as a GPS like position of the player on a map :D. (You could leave some extra buttons for future functionality, if there can be any)

If you change gps overlay to a detector it will work amazing with this mod. You already have option to show areas on map

If you change gps overlay to a detector it will work amazing with this mod. You already have option to show areas on map

Well, sure you can say "show the area", but for those that say they don't want to show it, it's pointless to have a map/GPS shown in the first place no?

Well, sure you can say "show the area", but for those that say they don't want to show it, it's pointless to have a map/GPS shown in the first place no?

Yeah, you are right. I hate asking modders for more but just an idea: two different detectors(one in watch other in gps slot) may be the solution for that

And for this, let's keep it more to the point of the functionality of a "detector", it shouldn't be a GPS type device or really provide much of anything outside turning *beeping* on/off and possibly a detection strength/direction indicator. Unless that's what you meant Soolie, I just read what you put as a GPS like position of the player on a map :D. (You could leave some extra buttons for future functionality, if there can be any)

Was thinking either map view or direction, direction would look something like pic below.

Arrow is separate pic ctrl that rotates depending on player dir relative to center of contaminated area.

Also arrow should be much better quality, probably rounded a bit (I am shit at photoshop)- any help with that would be great.

xHOnmOr.png

Yes, this is shown at full size, can be scaled to any size.

I can't wait for this release it is looking simply amazing.

One request though, with the post processed effects for the areas at least make a couple of the options playable. Some of them look like they are really impeding your vision. I would really like to have Zombies and or Enemy troops (wear gas masks of course) in the contaminated zone. So the visuals need to be visible enough players can have a gun battle.

Also maybe the possibility of  gas leask effect would be good, as in a localized fog effect / smoke grenade effect. That could simulate a recent car accident and leaking toxic gas.

The way it looks right now it goes from 0 to 100 visual effects once they go into the contaminated zone. I would be good if there were some visual representation before entering the area - at least for toxic gas, I don't think it would be necessary for radiation.

That way players could know it is time to put their gas masks on.

• Like 1

I can't wait for this release it is looking simply amazing.

One request though, with the post processed effects for the areas at least make a couple of the options playable. Some of them look like they are really impeding your vision. I would really like to have Zombies and or Enemy troops (wear gas masks of course) in the contaminated zone. So the visuals need to be visible enough players can have a gun battle.

Also maybe the possibility of  gas leask effect would be good, as in a localized fog effect / smoke grenade effect. That could simulate a recent car accident and leaking toxic gas.

The way it looks right now it goes from 0 to 100 visual effects once they go into the contaminated zone. I would be good if there were some visual representation before entering the area - at least for toxic gas, I don't think it would be necessary for radiation.

That way players could know it is time to put their gas masks on.

The one that mainly impedes vision is the rain effect, I can't get that one to work very well at the moment anyways, and probably won't be in the initial release. As far as a gas leak effect...ehhh....that's getting pretty specific, as far as localized fog effect, that's already not possible, smoke grenade effect may be possible, but you could also probably find a way to script that in yourself (at least until this mod has some time under its belt). 

As far as effects going from 0-100, yes that will change once I can sort out the system of "outer-perimeters" (which will be done before public release), so that there is a "warm" zone leading up to the likely deadly inner "hot" zones, the perimeters will allow for such a possibility as staggering the effects and giving the player a chance to gear up before entering a hot zone.

Got the direction indicator working. Thanks to @Ltf for the arrow icon!

• Like 3

Soolie, I really like the detector!!

If I may, I have some ideas you could trow in, since those features MAY be functional in a near future.

See if you guys like it..

new_detector.pngnew_detector2.png

• Like 1

Got the direction indicator working. Thanks to @Ltf for the arrow icon!

Looking good Soolie.

@Zagor, also looking good, JSHK Industries is a nice touch :thumb:.

• Like 1

@rekkless, I forgot to respond to one of your points, all the effects are optional, you can choose which one you want or you can choose to disable them, the rain being it's own seperate option, the haze and other options are it's own category. I'm sure with EO there will be more effects on the way, therefore more options to choose from :). Let me know if that helped.

And to tac onto the warm/hot zones, once you hit the outermost perimeter, the detecor will start going off to let you know you are nearing a danger zone, and will beep faster the closer you get to the origin of the contaminated zone.

• Like 2

I'm sure with EO there will be more effects on the way, therefore more options to choose from :).

Speaking of which......may not be to everyone's taste....but I like it.  

r8F4w3r.jpg

Dune Red Zone :

PP_chrom = ppEffectCreate ["ChromAberration",200];
PP_chrom ppEffectEnable true;
PP_chrom ppEffectAdjust [0,-0.01,true];
PP_chrom ppEffectCommit 0;
PP_wetD = ppEffectCreate ["WetDistortion",300];
PP_wetD ppEffectEnable true;
PP_wetD ppEffectAdjust [-1.29,0.01,0.01,5,0.98,5,-2.48,-0.08,-0.08,0.02,-0.16,-0.15,0.04,0.2,0.2];
PP_wetD ppEffectCommit 0;
PP_colorC = ppEffectCreate ["ColorCorrections",1500];
PP_colorC ppEffectEnable true;
PP_colorC ppEffectAdjust [0.63,0.81,-0.01,[-2,2,2,-0.06],[1.27,-0.27,-5,0.9],[0.21,0.07,0.68,0.75],[0,1,-0.06,0.02,0,1,5]];
PP_colorC ppEffectCommit 0;
PP_film = ppEffectCreate ["FilmGrain",2000];
PP_film ppEffectEnable true;
PP_film ppEffectAdjust [0.45,2.88,1.58,2,2,true];
PP_film ppEffectCommit 0;

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chlorine Gas

Hijn6jf.jpg

PP_wetD ppEffectAdjust [1,0.1,0.1,1,1,1,1,0,0.01,0.05,0.01,0.2,0.2,0.2,0.2];
PP_colorC ppEffectAdjust [1,1,0,[-2,2,-2,0.05],[-4.99,0.74,0.44,0.38],[0.33,0.33,0.33,-0.64],[0,0,0,0,0,0,4]];
PP_film ppEffectAdjust [0.2,1,1,0.5,0.5,true];

gas_mask_by_utilized.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sulfur Mustard

F4Qb6YU.jpg

PP_wetD ppEffectAdjust [1,0.1,0.1,1,1,1,1,0,0.01,0.05,0.01,0.2,0.2,0.2,0.2];
PP_colorC ppEffectAdjust [1,1,0,[2,-0.39,2,-0.45],[2.45,-0.21,-5,0.65],[0.45,0.5,0.07,1],[0,0,0,0,0,0,4]];
PP_film ppEffectAdjust [0.2,1,1,0.5,0.5,true];

gas_mask.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The filters look awesome. EO that is some outstanding work.

My request is more for visual representation when you are outside the zone. if it is possible. Or at the the very least have the filter come on gradually rather than "All Clear" to "Dark and gassy" in the space of 1 meter.

The meter skin Zagor posted looks sensational.

• Like 1

My request is more for visual representation when you are outside the zone. if it is possible. Or at the the very least have the filter come on gradually rather than "All Clear" to "Dark and gassy" in the space of 1 meter

Then, yes, that is in the lineup before public release, there would be a number of "outer" non-deadly perimeters for detection and reactionary purposes on the player's part, and to add that feel of gradually entering a contaminated zone instead of the current "instantaneous" change from clear to deadly.

• Like 1

@jshock

What do you think about the showing the contamination strength?

How should it be done? percentage, random numbers between x - y, real measurements ( radiation is becquerel or Bq), some kind of gauge (like zagor has in his pic) etc

Current look - 

P1vxCzg.png

• Like 1

I'm fine with that as that's the basis of the detection concept :), though on the backend it will be a simple distance from zone origin check to determine the strength.

But as far as on the actual GUI, I'll say this again just for good measure, this whole mod's intent is to be generalized (to the best of its abilities) so for the units of measure shown on the detector, that's not important, what's important is there is some number/GUI element displayed that starts at zero (not in a zone) and grows, shrinks as the player moves about the zone origin because a mission maker can choose anything for his/her mission as contamination from radiation to chlorine to methane to hair spray, so having the GUI with a specified measure(s) would inherently limit the "possbilities" for the mission maker simply from an immersion standpoint when using the detector.

So if it will make it easier, and save a few posts over time, the backend functions and such can be tweaked and messed with later, I'd much more prefer at this point just to get the GUI finalized before delving into functions. Cause I have a feeling we'll start some functions up and the whole GUI could change to something completely different or we could drop/add/update other features, therefore causing extra work that really wasn't necessary.

So to define what I think the detecor should be capable of:

1. Can be turned on/off with a button(s)

2. Can show the intensity of a zone at the current position of the player

3. Can show general direction to the origin

That's about all I can think of that is necessary for this detector, I'm open to other, generalized, concepts for it, but I think these three just about cover it.

PS: Sorry if that came off a little stronghanded, it's post 3am here, been a long week...and I leave what is shown for the GUI zone strength thing in the hands of the artist, cause I'm indifferent :).

• Like 1

PS: Sorry if that came off a little stronghanded, it's post 3am here, been a long week...and I leave what is shown for the GUI zone strength thing in the hands of the artist, cause I'm indifferent :).

No worries :) The simpler the better for me!

Just wanted to be sure all the controls you need are in there.

The filters look awesome. EO that is some outstanding work.

My request is more for visual representation when you are outside the zone. if it is possible. 

Been toying with a very small particle effect that will give a visual indication of a gas cloud/smog etc.......will post a video later showing it in action, then it's up to jshock if it's any good AND easy to implement into his mod. :)  

• Like 2

Been toying with a very small particle effect that will give a visual indication of a gas cloud/smog etc.......will post a video later showing it in action, then it's up to jshock if it's any good AND easy to implement into his mod. :)

I'm sure it will be fine, it will just need a lot of testing when it comes to MP and such, see how much (if any) it bogs down everyone. And if that becomes the case, I'll still add it with a disclaimer saying SP only :D.

• Like 1

So to define what I think the detecor should be capable of:

1. Can be turned on/off with a button(s)

2. Can show the intensity of a zone at the current position of the player

3. Can show general direction to the origin

OK...about this?

ps: sorry soolie, I modded your creation :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

detector_Back6.png

• Like 1

OK...about this?

ps: sorry soolie, I modded your creation :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

It looks great but i think soolie's dynamic system isn't working like that

• Like 1

It looks great but i think soolie's dynamic system isn't working like that

I'm pretty sure the arrow will not be a problem...the "intensity bars"..that's another story.

I'm in touch with him to help him out with graphics...although I'm sure he could do easily without me. We're prototyping different versions....He'll see what fit best his coding. Beside, like JSHOCK mentioned/requested...he'll keep it simple.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the arrow will not be a problem...the "intensity bars"..that's another story.

I'm in touch with him to help him out with graphics...although I'm sure he could do easily without me. We're prototyping different versions....He'll see what fit best his coding. Beside, like JSHOCK mentioned/requested...he'll keep it simple.

Awesome news!!

When the mod maker has people helping him in the background and he wonders what they are coming up with:  :868:

• Like 3