Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Guess the airplane!

Here are some tips for posting pictures of airplanes.

1) Change the filename if it has anything to do with the type of plane. Simply download it (right click, save as), change the filename, then upload it to a hosting server (I'll be happy to host if you like).

2) Try not to link direcly from the website, it's easy to go backwards through the URL and find the information.

3) If possible, don't pick pictures that have the airplanes N number, or identification number in it. It's easy to look up the N number online and get lots of information.

Wardog, your last British Bomber was the Wellington. I know the design of that one off by heart wink.gif

Made by Wallace Barnes, was remarkable becuase of its criss-crossed air-frame that made it a very ruggard and tough plane:)

Whats next? An Avro Manchester? Fairy Battle?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 05 2002,04:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wardog, your last British Bomber was the Wellington. I know the design of that one off by heart wink.gif

Made by Wallace Barnes, was remarkable becuase of its criss-crossed air-frame that made it a very ruggard and tough plane:)

Whats next? An Avro Manchester? Fairy Battle?<span id='postcolor'>

Good guess, matey.

WRonng!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 06 2002,01:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's a good one:

11052002728573.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Nose, intake, and tail section look like an F4, but the wings are deceiving me...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nose, intake, and tail section look like an F4, but the wings are deceiving me... <span id='postcolor'>

Man, that's a real tough one!

Reminds me of an F-4, and an A-4, but I know it's neither.

hmm...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NavyEEL @ Nov. 06 2002,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nose, intake, and tail section look like an F4, but the wings are deceiving me...<span id='postcolor'>

It's one of the reasons I picked it. normally I'd never say this plane looks like an F-4, but the photo's from an interesting angle....

Wings on that thing are mid-fuselage. It isn't Western. I think it may be the Chinese rebuild of the Mig19, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Scratch the above, wings are totally wrong shape.

Also reminds me of a Sukhoi design.

Got it! SU15 Flagon-F

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Nov. 06 2002,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wings on that thing are mid-fuselage. It isn't Western. I think it may be the Chinese rebuild of the Mig19, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Also reminds me of a Sukhoi design.<span id='postcolor'>

You're close

Nope, it's not a MiG-23.

23s are sweep-wing.

Dang man you picked a real tough one.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 05 2002,04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Nov. 06 2002,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wings on that thing are mid-fuselage. It isn't Western. I think it may be the Chinese rebuild of the Mig19, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Also reminds me of a Sukhoi design.<span id='postcolor'>

You're close<span id='postcolor'>

SU15.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Nov. 06 2002,01:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SU15.<span id='postcolor'>

bingo

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Nov. 06 2002,06:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SU15.<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif

Man, that picture is really tough. The Su-15 has "mid-mounted delta with square tips" (http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/airdef/su-15.htm).

Wow, I would never of guessed it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Nov. 06 2002,02:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Nov. 06 2002,06:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SU15.<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif

Man, that picture is really tough.  The Su-15 has "mid-mounted delta with square tips" (http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/airdef/su-15.htm).

Wow, I would never of guessed it.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, they could be called square tipped I guess.

su-15.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Nov. 06 2002,09:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 05 2002,04:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wardog, your last British Bomber was the Wellington. I know the design of that one off by heart wink.gif

Whats next? An Avro Manchester? Fairy Battle?<span id='postcolor'>

Good guess, matey.

WRonng!<span id='postcolor'>

Are you saying that the plane pic you posted is not identical to this

08wellington.jpg

If its not a Wellington you posted, its some kind of variation of it.

The picture you have posted is indeed a Wellington. Now compare it with the aircraft I posted. They were both built by Vickers, Both designed by Barnes Wallis, but they are different aircraft.

There's more difference between these two than there is between a typhoon and a tempest! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Nov. 05 2002,15:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 06 2002,05:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol that and the other prop plane tounge.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

TURBOprop. biggrin.gif

LOL *nitpicks*

Sorry, I'm a bit of an airhead.

hahahadonttrytocheat.jpg

This is the type of plane that I fly.  I think I fly an older model though.<span id='postcolor'>

I'd guess it's a Piper Warrior. It was the first model in the PA series with a third side window (above the luggage area).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Nov. 06 2002,07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd guess it's a Piper Warrior. It was the first model in the PA series with a third side window (above the luggage area).<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. biggrin.gif

It's a Cherokee 180.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, they could be called square tipped I guess.

su-15.gif<span id='postcolor'>

When you compare it with this picture the tips are more pronounced.

It almost looks like they bend in flight.

flagn_d1.gif