Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Guess the airplane!

Come on guys, found for me something really hard (im sick so im not at work => lot of time to read books about airplanes etc etc :-)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Erex @ Nov. 07 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Nov. 07 2002,20:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nolips71 @ Nov. 07 2002,17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Nov. 07 2002,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh hell yes  wow.gif !! I didnt see those civillians. No then it realy cant be a ME-109. Or maybe those are british midgets standing next to it  tounge.gif

Still, the HE had 2 motors. But I dont see them. Where are they gone?  Look here for comparisonHE-111.jpg

But maybe the full cockpit burned away together with the two motors!<span id='postcolor'>

thats a spannish heinkel 110 (dunno if its spelt right) with rolls royce engines<span id='postcolor'>

why spannish? And why Rolls Royce? Dont get it?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

different motors (same with Bf-109)

spanish do use Germany planes but with RR enignes and with Hispano Suiza cannons etc :-)<span id='postcolor'>

the words from erex are true

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After WWII? Realy? That ugly thing survived? WHy didnt they use "flying fortress"?<span id='postcolor'>

As far as i know the last Bf-109's in the spanish airforce were retired in 1969 (spanish bf-109's and he-111's were used in the film "The Battle of Britain").

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 07 2002,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After WWII? Realy? That ugly thing survived? WHy didnt they use "flying fortress"?<span id='postcolor'>

As far as i know the last Bf-109's in the spanish airforce were retired in 1969 (spanish bf-109's and he-111's were used in the film "The Battle of Britain").<span id='postcolor'>

i did notice

oh and erex

jdw010626_2_p1.jpg

no cheating smile.gif

jdw010626_2_p1.jpg

Oh this is actually 2 planes that fly into the opposite directions but the camera caught them when they met in the air. Flying from the right to the left is a Mirage and flying from the right to the left is a Tornado!  tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 08 2002,00:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Couldn't be easier, Sukhoi S-37 Berkut biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually now it's been re-designated. It is the Su-47 smile.gif

Su-47? Why did they change the designation? The Russian Air Force pretends to buy some? wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 08 2002,00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Su-47? Why did they change the designation? The Russian Air Force pretends to buy some?  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe...but AFAIK they still haven't purchased the Su-37...they went with the 35's instead. It probably signifies that it's "finished" and ready to graduate from prototype to operational aircraft. Whether or not the Russian air force will buy some remains to be seen, but they need a low-observable aircraft and this is supposed to use some stealth technology.

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span>Nope...dosen't seem like it will be bought....I've done some searching on the new designation and everywhere it is still listed as a technology testbed for the next generation of fighters. Found this bit though:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In early 2002 Sukhoi was chosen as prime contractor for the planned Russian fifth-generation fighter is called the PAK FA [ Perspektivnyi Aviatsionnyi Kompleks Frontovoi Aviatsyi - Future Air Complex for Tactical Air Forces]. This intermediate class twin-engined fighter will be larger than a MiG-29 and smaller than a Su-27. The new fighter is intended to be about the same size as the US F-35 JSF, with a primary air superiority mission and ground attack and reconnaissance being secondary missions.

<span id='postcolor'>http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/pak-fa.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Nov. 05 2002,01:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I used to live and breath this stuff  smile.gif  before I found out about girls, of course  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thats not what ur sister told me on ICQ the other night tex  wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Nov. 08 2002,10:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yakovlev Yak-23<span id='postcolor'>

No, but it is a Soviet plane.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 08 2002,10:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This one should be fun smile.gif

110720028543684.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

The closest match I have found so far is the Bell X-5.

Am I at least close?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 08 2002,03:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The closest match I have found so far is the Bell X-5.

Am I at least close?<span id='postcolor'>

LOL The Irony is hilarious smile.gif. In one way you are very close, but not really smile.gif

Is it even an X plane? I have gone to a website that is totally dedicated to the American X planes, yet the X-5 was the closest match.

well.....it's hard to say without giving it away....it was and it wasn't smile.gif

Let me know when you give up smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 08 2002,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let me know when you give up smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You wont hear me giving up!

And If I do, you can all call me Ronald Reagan.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 08 2002,05:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 08 2002,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let me know when you give up smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You wont hear me giving up!

And If I do, you can all call me Ronald Reagan.<span id='postcolor'>

Your perserverence shall earn you a visual hint in the form of another plane smile.gif.

Take a close look at this one:

1107200211071172.jpg

Yep smile.gif.....now go back to the "X-5", look at the plane, look at it's markings..... biggrin.gif

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span> BTW that F-14 was one of two given to the USSR courtesy of Iran.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Nov. 08 2002,05:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you saying that its a Russian prototype painted in US markings?<span id='postcolor'>

Did I say it was a prototype? biggrin.gif