That's not crunched, that's in Xcam.  When I loaded libraries most of the buildings were under Structures (Town) and Structures (Village).  It won't be crunched until either BI unlock the terrain objects, structures, and vegetation, or another viable process comes about.  I know you probably saw talk in Skype, but so others know that there was talk about creating dummy objects so that we can get something into Terrain Builder.  Since BI didn't do this themselves, it's left to the community to do it.  Being that I'm still very new to all this and have never done any modelling, I don't know what all is involved.  But if there's something I can do to help, let me know.

[10/9/2016 7:43:24 PM | Edited 7:44:08 PM] cringo: I was hoping they would move to change object EBOs to PBOs and just keep Tanoa locked and weapons and vehicles as they are, but I haven't seen anything at all on their plans, so I doubt it's going to change.. even though a lot of people keep saying they'll unlock them at some point aka SoonTM
[10/9/2016 7:52:10 PM] Mikero: we keep saying it only from past history, where dlc content such as karts and marksman were finally issued in-the-clear. worth pointing out, they were (obviously) released this way when people lost interest in them!  so while Tanoa remains a must have topic, expect nothing.
[10/9/2016 7:55:20 PM] Mikero: I don't have much sympathy for people wanting to get at weapons and vehicles, but structures and vegetation are a different fish.
[10/9/2016 8:25:26 PM] Mikero: in fact. if bis were able to implement some form of skeleton assets for structures, it would improve sales as more and more map makers started using them. we don't need the real-deal to place objects. Just their correct outlines and a proper config where applicable.
[10/9/2016 8:26:46 PM] Mikero: but i'm also surprsied that the community has not, as yet, done this simple thing already.
[10/9/2016 8:29:06 PM] Mikero: it's simple to do, just tedious. but only ever needs to be done once.
[10/10/2016 1:42:47 AM] Ben Rampling: We can automate making skeletons...
[10/10/2016 1:58:06 AM] Ben Rampling: We could pull out a single visual LOD and run something like this on it to destroy it enough that it works for accurate placement but wasn't useful for anything else:

[10/10/2016 2:47:19 AM] Mikero: I'd be comfortable with simple cubes (buildings) and spheres (vegetation) to get going with. Anyone making a tanoa based map has the dlc and can 'see' the results in-game. in buldozer, well, tough titties.
[10/10/2016 3:15:02 AM] Ben Rampling: Yeah, that'd be a good start. I think Icebreakr for his tropical maps would need more detail than that though since 90% of the assets in some areas would be Tanoan.
[10/10/2016 3:42:49 AM] Mikero: surprised that neo with his mapbuilder hasn't done something.
[10/10/2016 4:50:51 AM] kju: maybe T_D is open to create dummy models for tano terrain objects
[10/10/2016 4:51:27 AM] Opteryx: !
[10/10/2016 4:51:31 AM] kju: technically all parts should be ready. i guess its more about if and how much BI would be pissed about that, and how much he/you guys care
[10/10/2016 4:52:15 AM] kju: (obviously it would be just to the benefit of BI and their sales, but that hasnt been BI's strongpoint since dawn of arma)
[10/10/2016 4:57:28 AM] Ben Rampling: t_d's thing will still ruffle feathers, some people don't like sharing knowledge about the engine they've figured out.
[10/10/2016 5:05:21 AM | Edited 5:06:09 AM] Mikero: there isn't one inch of the biki file formats that were not written by synide, t_d or myself. t_d put more work and investigation into paa's and p3d's than anyone.

To our regret, and hindshight being that marvellous thing. the thieves took the knowledge he wrote re p3d's to make reverse engineering tools. As a consequence we no longer update the biki.

if there's any lack of sharing going on, ask a theif whether they've contributed one single word on any page of the biki
[10/10/2016 5:05:59 AM] Ben Rampling: You don't need to debin to make the dummy models, either. You can SQF the objects in-game and run a few hundred/thousand ray casts per object to get the volume.
[10/10/2016 5:10:06 AM] Ben Rampling: Hmm, that gives me an idea...
  • Like 1

KbLPXXA.jpg

Most of the buildings in the main town are finished.  Something like 4600+ objects so far.

• Like 2

Was totally unaware of this map's development until today. it's coming along really nicely. Good job :)

Are some of those trees custom models? They look nicer than usual in game :D

• Like 1

Was totally unaware of this map's development until today. it's coming along really nicely. Good job :)

Are some of those trees custom models? They look nicer than usual in game :D

Core A3 + Apex + "Arma 3 Buildings" by MattAust, also using some of PoolPunk's barriers etc.

• Like 1

I think I might have all buildings in main town finished and most of the fences, walls, sidewalks, and got about half of the electrical poles/lines down.  And a church and cemetery.  I think I'm going to start fixing my sat and mask now.

I5TCG6C.jpg

• Like 8

I've been going back and forth with the idea of renaming my terrain since it's pretty different from the IRL island.  Besides the buildings and vegetation, I've chopped the top of the mountain off, altered a lot of roads, etc.  However, it does still resemble the real place in some ways.

On the first post, I've added a pole.  If you guys have an opinion, please share.

How about Iwagi 2035?

So I have a build version you can load up if you want to check it out so far.  This mostly just has the main town filled out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwrK9GSBuJ2JaHBhS3NIVUZHeDQ/view?usp=sharing

I've been working on the hilltop military and residential areas for the last week or so.  Tonight I placed a f@#kton of fences in Xcam.  You can see some screenshots of my progress in my imgur album.

http://imgur.com/a/hqQSr

Note: Some things look screwy because I have to take it back into TB and readjust them, like roads, moving trees, etc.  I'm going to turn some of the roads on the hilltop to dirt.

• Like 3

Plopped hilltop objects into TB and the fences are all screwed up, go figure.  So I took a break from that and added some smaller islands. =3

In the south west I added a rock stack with a lighthouse.

South east I took the Japanese island named Kosagi and added a runway I got from Maui, Hawaii.  Adjusted a road leading to the airport.  Planning on running a bridge to this island from Iwagi.

North east I added Kokatsu island, containing a ton of industrial thingies.  Merged it with the east coast of Iwagi and shooped it up a bit, adding a football field and stream.

http://imgur.com/TGz8w2T

• Like 6

Got the additional islands all shaped out, threw down the road shapes, and placed a bridge from Kosagi+Airstrip to Iwagi.  Maybe I'll do some polygon fills tomorrow/today... later.

• Like 1

Nice job! The way the towns blend into the water and the wind turbines off shore are awesome.

• Like 1

Looking good! You said you added a stream? Any pics of it?

HilECB4.jpg

Got a lot of the hilltop done, fixed sat and mask in a lot of places. However, I'm still trying to get clutter to work properly.

• Like 8

On 1/8/2017 at 10:47 PM, ineptaphid said:

Looking good! You said you added a stream? Any pics of it?

Wow didnt even see this for some reason. I have places all over where water would run if, you know, water could run in Arma. But the one I was talking about is more like a manmade stream and i havent finished it yet. It just runs around the ball fields in the north east.

• Like 1

Don't want to be rude but using greek style houses for a japanese map is a no-go for me.. Good luck with your project!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nikiforos said:

Don't want to be rude but using greek style houses for a japanese map is a no-go for me.. Good luck with your project!

Well originally I wanted to make it more Japanese, but there arent any models out there that fulfilled my needs. Also, I wanted to keep it to BI's stuff as much as possible(Im probably going to remove mattausts buildings and plp's fences and barriers). Also Iwagi has become a fictional island, Ive changed too much for it to resemble much of the real island. Not using Altis/Stratis objects would have limited my palette a lot.

Not rude, I encourage any suggestions or criticism. ;)

• Like 1

I think in a way the Mediterranean houses work, maybe not for japan, but certainly for the pacific. Perhaps the island was colonized by europeans and the architecture style carried over. 

• Like 2

Yeah thats kinda the direction I was leaning toward. =P

• Like 2

On 2/11/2017 at 7:16 AM, cring0 said:

Well originally I wanted to make it more Japanese, but there arent any models out there that fulfilled my needs. Also, I wanted to keep it to BI's stuff as much as possible(Im probably going to remove mattausts buildings and plp's fences and barriers). Also Iwagi has become a fictional island, Ive changed too much for it to resemble much of the real island. Not using Altis/Stratis objects would have limited my palette a lot.

Not rude, I encourage any suggestions or criticism. ;)

Couple of things, I like the layout of the cities and buildings, are you planning on updating the sat? as it looks like the objects have kinda been plonked down. When I lay buildings or if I'm making a construction area I try to make sure the sat and mask reflect whats sitting on it, eg quarry. Also the Mattaust buildings are very poorly optimized so be very careful about using them unless you plan on getting the unbinarized models and fixing them up. I've spent the last few weeks optimizing them and re-creating res-lods.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm American and lived in Japan for 17 years.

I think keeping it as IWAGI is the best choice.

Japan being primarily a Shinto and Buddhist country, Perhaps no more than 2 or 3 churches should be enough.

Not that there aren't any churches in Japan, because there are, but for such a small island, I think a traveler would be lucky to come across one.

Just my two cents

• Like 3