opteryx

Ethics of Copying Models?

This might seen kinda silly, but I really want some input on this.

Basically I'm always looking for good reference material for my models and usually I base my architecture on real world structures, however sometimes I come across 3d models in games and/or other places such as turbosquid which I really like and I would like to replicate, but the thing is I'm not entirely comfortable with doing this, it sort of feels like stealing.

Is making a model for example such as a building from scratch based on an already existing 3d model considered stealing in any way? Would you personally be pissed if someone copied your work in such a manner?

• Like 1

I doubt it's considered stealing since technically you made the model.

There's quite a bit of difference between using something as reference and literally taking a copy of the mesh and calling it your own.

I suppose it depends on how closely it resembles the reference. If it's a carbon copy, down to the way it's constructed, it might be cutting it a bit close. Especially if it's something unique and identifiable.

I think if we give the same model to two 3D artists, the result will probably be quite near, with different styles, simply because no one has invented the sun, or to be more clear, it there is necessarily a basis on which the imagination draws directly after consultation documentation including a model similar to the one that we want to personally represent, or indirectly, by drawing on his memories.

Whatever the case, it is not created out of nothing and nothing comes out of nothing.

The basis is common, since we all live under the same sun, but there are variations that are determined by different cultures, different climates, etc.

My example is not as accurate as you mention, but the principle is the same.

After all, an AK47 produced ten thousand times ten thousand different adonmakers, not corespond ten thousand people who have copied each other.

So to answer your question, I think no, it is not a copy, let alone if you keep your own style, your own representation of the object.

There's quite a bit of difference between using something as reference and literally taking a copy of the mesh and calling it your own.

I suppose it depends on how closely it resembles the reference. If it's a carbon copy, down to the way it's constructed, it might be cutting it a bit close. Especially if it's something unique and identifiable.

He didn't say take it and use it as it is, he wants to use that model as reference.

I know. :)

My post wasn't an accusation. Just making a point. 

This might seen kinda silly, but I really want some input on this.

Basically I'm always looking for good reference material for my models and usually I base my architecture on real world structures, however sometimes I come across 3d models in games and/or other places such as turbosquid which I really like and I would like to replicate, but the thing is I'm not entirely comfortable with doing this, it sort of feels like stealing.

Is making a model for example such as a building from scratch based on an already existing 3d model considered stealing in any way? Would you personally be pissed if someone copied your work in such a manner?

no issue whatsoever

• Like 1

If the design of whatever you use as reference is unique ("designed" by the modeller") i think there can be issues. But for existing realworld objects there is no issue i would think. However, you should mention another authors work if you use it as reference, for fairness reasons. For realistic models there often went alot of research into size, proportions, etc. So you should credit the author for this work.

If i designed a cool spaceship and someone copied the design to the letter to sell it or whatever, i would have an issue however.

• Like 2

Good artist create, great artist steal :D.

Personally I'm fine with completely copying a model, because in the end it WILL turn at least a tiny bit different. The UV mapping will be different, the textures will be different. I'm sure that mesh topology will be different as well. You are essentially copying a shape and to do that you will use tools and techniques you know while original artist ma have used different ones. The more complicated the model, the more likely it will be different in some way from the reference. Using a reference like that is no crime and you will most likely learn something new trying to make shape similar.

Personally I'm completely fine with someone copying my work. If the leave credits for me it's great, but I will not complain if someone does that, chances are they may do some part better, with in turn may be copied by me :P. You still do all the work so it's fine.

Stealing is when you deprive someone else of their property by taking it yourself. In the intellectual and digital world we have the ability to copy, to create a replica in our minds or in digital form which we can alter to create new things or to observe. As for ethics, I consider it a greater act of unethical behavior to deprive one of ones right to experience, interpret and to recreate ones experiences.

There's a difference between stealing/copying and being inspired by someone elses work, hence the term 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' :)

• Like 1

Stealing is when you deprive someone else of their property by taking it yourself. In the intellectual and digital world we have the ability to copy, to create a replica in our minds or in digital form which we can alter to create new things or to observe. As for ethics, I consider it a greater act of unethical behavior to deprive one of ones right to experience, interpret and and recreate ones experiences.

Bullshit.

• Like 1

The use of Turbosquid if following it's licencing requirements as far as I am aware is completely legit. If you binarize and have paid for an appropriate licence level of model then good to go.

Anyone please correct me if I have got it wrong but I plan to utilise the service as I am time limited and would rather employ an authors time with due acknowledgement to them for the 3d model. There is a lot more to do to get it in game.

I have no problwms with this.

My 2cents worth.

I'm not talking about downloading/purchasing models, I'm talking about remodeling them from pictures.

Oh, in that case ... Isn't that how everything gets made ;) In the end, design away with references and if some original work helps inform you enough for you to think this way, simply acknowlegde that inspiration :) As has been said above, nothing comes from nothing.

You can't do much without reference. That's just the way it is. Observation is the only way to create something accurately. No decent artist can work without it. Unless it's completely abstract. Even then, reference is still employed.

It's not something that would bother me personally. But some artists do have a problem with others using their work even as reference, if they aren't credited. Especially if it matches it quite closely in construction.

It could be likened to people's views on copyright versus plagarism in written works.

Plagarism isn't in of itself illegal. But it's definitely not thought of as something positive by some individuals.

In the end it's more a personal issue than anything else. If you feel uncomfortable that you're following something too closely, then perhaps change your approach slightly. The original artist still had to use reference themselves and may even have taken inspiration from others too. Whether for the overall look or it's basic construction.

Bullshit.

The exact same thing I think to myself when I see Capitalists twisting ethics and philosophy to protect their profits and limit the freedoms of others.

The exact same thing I think to myself when I see Capitalists twisting ethics and philosophy to protect their profits and limit the freedoms of others.

so i assume you have a subscription for the pirateship.co.uk then, don't you?

• Like 1

spoken like a person who has never modelled anything

• Like 3