solzenicyn

Apex Gear Feedback

@2nd ranger: that is a good idea. so basically splitting helmet and NV-frontplate/mask in two seperate items: so the helmet could be combined with the super-scifi nv-frontplate, or for a more realistic look it could be combined with (compact) nv and perhaps a stealth balaclava.

• Like 1

@2nd ranger: that is a good idea. so basically splitting helmet and NV-frontplate/mask in two seperate items: so the helmet could be combined with the super-scifi nv-frontplate, or for a more realistic look it could be combined with (compact) nv and perhaps a stealth balaclava.

That actually looks pretty good. Also, it seems that it'd be much easier to use sights with this modified version of the helmet. With a CSAT-style stealth balaclava and googles, it could look much better. It'd also give the Vipers some diversity, which would humanize them a bit. The full helmet could be the province of squad leaders and machinegunners, like with CTRG.

Would be nice to get the vest and backpacks in a wider camo and color range. Because why is their not a CTRG camo backpack or vest and sames goes with csat they use some equipment but it's not camoed to them. Which doesn't make much sense and less so on tanoa, when a single uncamoed area on you can give you away at the close ranges fighting takes place.

Really not digging the Tropical Multicam, I would've much rather preferred BIS just given us the M81 style camo that was found in the hidden files, so long ago. 

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I suppose it's because it's such an old model. I'm guessing about 5 years old, maybe more. The NATO and CSAT uniform and gear textures looked dated even in the alpha.

For Apex, the textures of the 'new' tropical gear should have been up to 2016 standards. Frankly it's the least that should have been done, considering the amount of reskins that we're getting in this expansion. Someone said it earlier; there's really only one brand new character set - that is, with a completely original uniform, helmet and vest/backpack - and that's Viper. Everything else is reskinned or chopped & changed.

I didn't expect there would be many new CSAT gear assets, but I had hoped for at least a new regular CSAT helmet or vest. I had however fully expected a new NATO faction, even if it was only just one new uniform, vest and helmet model. This is an expansion after all, and I was looking forward to a fresh gameplay experience. At the moment, we've got the same NATO and CSAT units we've been playing with for three years. A hasty coat of paint (and I mean that quite literally in terms of how the NATO camo looks) doesn't make the units feel new.

I feel the same way. This expansion has been a long time in the making and has been very hyped up and hidden from the public, but there's damn near nothing in terms of new uniforms? I was so happy when the grenadier vest got updated, but with this update we got... nothing updated? It's rather lackluster for an update that took so long, but it's going along well with ArmA III's "pay 20 dollars, get 20 dollars worth of content" model.

They're different, it's the first thing I checked after seeing them :lol:

I don't have anything bad to say about Viper, I think they're the best thing about Apex so far, and their quality puts everything else to shame (especially CTRG, who are presumably the main characters, but only get old hand-me-down uniforms). And I very much appreciate that BIS included arid hex versions of their stuff.

Also, since there have been some inevitable complaints about Viper's helmet, I think it would be great if they had a non-stealth helmet based on that model. Basically the same helmet but without the face part. That would have the dual benefit of pleasing people who like Viper but don't like the full helmet, and also provide a viable alternative to those who don't like the normal CSAT helmet very much. For example:

viperhelm_zpsiarsgmlw.jpg

Only thing I dislike about the helmet in that photo (and my problem overall) is how it dips down in the middle. That's completely inexplicable and it should be properly rounded.

Really not digging the Tropical Multicam, I would've much rather preferred BIS just given us the M81 style camo that was found in the hidden files, so long ago. 

Just my opinion.

I prefer the Tropical Multicam, though I wouldn't mind seeing M81 as well. 

I fail to understand how this wasn't noticed while the texture was being worked on:

if3iNB8.png

Cause no dude stairs at male butts

Missing Thermal Raster on Left Leg Bag.....

i must say that the Ctrg Gear is a shame....old crap recycled

ctrg.jpg

I stare at male butts, but I don't stair at them.

ctrg.jpg

Oh Christ, that closeup makes me want to puke. Also, if you didn't look at the properly rastered pocket, look below it and you can see the bent knee uniform texture clipping through the raster. 

BIS, seriously, this is embarassing. 

• Like 1

ctrg.jpg

Same old crap recycled indeed! The more logical choice for Apex would have been to just make new models

What I had hoped for was G3 Field Shirt and/or WindLiner on top and G3 Field Pant the bottom (since NATO uniform already mimic the Crye Precision line)

These, or something like them, ideally would've made the most sense given the climate on Tanoa as well as BIS intent to make the new CTRG uniforms have stealth counter-thermal signature properties. This is because, the hard plastic knee pads cannot hold the counter thermal triangle-y weave look, not to mention they would interfere and create signature gaps in the material. Also, since Tanoa is located in the Pacific, and it is a archipelago surrounded by a main volcanic island, I imagine the climate would often times be rainy, hence the need for a jacket too. 

• Like 2

Same old crap recycled indeed! The more logical choice for Apex would have been to just make new models

What for was G3 Field Shirt and/or WindLiner on top and G3 Field Pant the bottom (since NATO uniform already mimic the Crye Precision line)

These, or something like them, ideally would've made the most sense given the climate on Tanoa as well as BIS intent to make the new CTRG uniforms have stealth counter-thermal signature properties. This is because, the hard plastic knee pads cannot hold the counter thermal triangle-y weave look, not to mention they would interfere and create signature gaps in the material. Also, since Tanoa is located in the Pacific, and it is a archipelago surrounded by a main volcanic island, I imagine the climate would often times be rainy, hence the need for a jacket too. 

+1

Also they need to add different uniforms because CTRG is a cooperation between more then 3 countries i think. I would appreciate if they add like 2 or 3 uniforms that are all CTRG style but with some small differences like the color or camo.

• Like 1

Seeing a lot of this with the new uniforms:

Zhg89k8.png

Who wouldn't stare at a male's butt? :3

• Like 1

Still missing Survival Fatigues (Tropic), and Survival Fatigues (CTRG).

Also, i'm still appalled by the fact the CSAT uniform didn't really receive any kind of touch up, just rather just got a straight up re texture. As well as the issue with the Knee pads on the NATO uniforms still being a texture as apposed to being modeled like it is on the CSAT uniform. Pants of the CSAT clothing still appears warped, and deformed. Please look into that aswell for quality control purposes before release of Apex.

Agree with the survival fatigues, as it makes more sense to have Them on Tanoa with all the rivers and swamps, than rather on a island with no rivers/lakes

I personally don't have a problem with the reused uniforms, because to me it makes sense. Why the hell would a military change a uniform design that works, when you really just need to give it a new camo. But the CTRG one i will admit is a bit off because aside from the rubber like texture, it seems to be the same as the normal CTRG uniform even though it has the ability to reduce the thermal signature of it's wearer.

Though i'm not that familiar with thermal equipment to know the methods that can be used to alter the thermal signature of a uniform. So maybe a small insulating layer with a specialized rubber coating is all that need to be applied to a uniform. Which if thats the case again why make an entirely new uniform when you can just edit an existing uniform and get the wanted result without spending a lot more money.

Plus remember standardization of equipment is a really big deal with national militarys, and makes sense that NATO would down the road standardize all their stuff. Afterall why have every nations troops use different stuff, which messes up your logistics and can cause confusion in the field.

I'm sorry, but you have severely missed the point. The issue is not that the NATO and CSAT pacific factions use the same uniforms, weapons and gear as their Mediterranean counterparts. Of course they would. It's that they're the same units we've been playing with for the last three years. Apex is an expansion, and should have contained brand new uniforms, vests, helmets and weapons for at least two brand new factions.

I also can't believe you wasted so many words rationalizing the re-use of years-old assets in terms of real-world considerations, as if realism was BIS's reason for doing it.

• Like 5

I like the new Tropic camo gear for NATO, the fully tropical painted helmets, plate carriers etc give me the impression that NATO is taking the Pacific a lot more seriously than Altis. 

I'd like to see a tropical combat helmet with camo netting. 

I'd like to see an Altis variant of the stealth combat helmet, as well as an Altis variant of the stealth uniform and balaclava. I'd also like to see a face mask variant of the enhanced combat helmet.

The goggles on the stealth balaclava goggles variant are slightly offset from the standard goggles, I'm not sure if this is intended or not, but it matches the stealth combat helmet poorly. Also, I would prefer if the combat goggles on the balaclavas were green and not sand colored. 

The new Viper gear is fitting of CSAT, and I like the new night vision/thermal goggles of both factions as they fit into the existing uniforms nicely. 

I like the new CTRG urban uniform, but I cannot find any vests or helmets that match the colors nicely. 

I really like the new police uniforms.

What for was G3 Field Shirt and/or WindLiner on top and G3 Field Pant the bottom (since NATO uniform already mimic the Crye Precision line)

Other than just adding new ones, it would've been nice to see them touch up the old ones. Combat shirts still make more sense than field shirts, as do combat pants, but Crye's field line makes more sense for the stealth uniform basis for the reasons you noted about the thermal pattern. It's really just that the old gear is so old and it really is so obvious when compared to the new CSAT equipment. A goretex rain jacket of some kind would definitely make sense, though. i can see adding a windbreaker or something. 

Seeing a lot of this with the new uniforms:

*snip*

Who wouldn't stare at a male's butt? :3

Don't you know that as soon as the human body dies the skeletal structure changes? Everybody knows that. 

I personally don't have a problem with the reused uniforms, because to me it makes sense. Why the hell would a military change a uniform design that works, when you really just need to give it a new camo. But the CTRG one i will admit is a bit off because aside from the rubber like texture, it seems to be the same as the normal CTRG uniform even though it has the ability to reduce the thermal signature of it's wearer.

Though i'm not that familiar with thermal equipment to know the methods that can be used to alter the thermal signature of a uniform. So maybe a small insulating layer with a specialized rubber coating is all that need to be applied to a uniform. Which if thats the case again why make an entirely new uniform when you can just edit an existing uniform and get the wanted result without spending a lot more money.

Plus remember standardization of equipment is a really big deal with national militarys, and makes sense that NATO would down the road standardize all their stuff. Afterall why have every nations troops use different stuff, which messes up your logistics and can cause confusion in the field.

It makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is just retexturing it and saying "done" when the current models are so atrocious. They're noticeably dated when compared to almost everything else in the game, which is a problem when you're adding a new DLC and you update so many other things that have to do with visual aspects. The current uniform makes sense in this scenario, but in many cases a migration while still using a full combat uniform wouldn't make as much sense simply because combat shirts provide poor insulation and combat pants aren't always the best option. 

I'm sorry, but you have severely missed the point. The issue is not that the NATO and CSAT pacific factions use the same uniforms, weapons and gear as their Mediterranean counterparts. Of course they would. It's that they're the same units we've been playing with for the last three years. Apex is an expansion, and should have contained brand new uniforms, vests, helmets and weapons for at least two brand new factions.

I also can't believe you wasted so many words rationalizing the re-use of years-old assets in terms of real-world considerations, as if realism was BIS's reason for doing it.

Exactly this. We're paying for a brand new addon (which Bohemia has really talked up in terms of hype as well as kept under wraps for what the content is) and what we're getting feels much more equivalent to three DLC bundles wrapped into one. Apex isn't supposed to be a tidbit DLC, it's supposed to be a full on expansion, and while it's expanded the game a bit, it definitely falls below standards that they've set in the previous ArmA games (spoiler: telling me to lower my standards and saying that ArmA II was a fluke is stupid and will make you look stupid). 

Also, I can see it now: "muh Gendarmerie, muh Syndikat" - BIS shills when asked about the two new factions.

Snipped to save precious brain cells

Snipped to save precious brain cells

Oh look, the non-contributing BIS defense force is here! God forbid we give feedback in the feedback thread. 

• Like 2

Guest ti0n3r

What? I just thought I'd share my thoughts on apex? Don't be mean.

What? I just thought I'd share my thoughts on apex? Don't be mean.

So you're telling me your opinion of Apex is a crying baby, and that said crying baby is not meant to say that we people who are complaining about paying for outdated reskins that mods could've accomplished for free are crybabies? I somehow seriously doubt that it's the former. 

• Like 1

Guest ti0n3r

Well I am personaly very displeased by the fact that my apex preorder didn't include a full refund, 10 islands, 50 vehicles 100 weapons, 50 new factions, direct x 13, free ice cream and a tricycle

• Like 1

Well I am personaly very displeased by the fact that my apex preorder didn't include a full refund, 10 islands, 50 vehicles 100 weapons, 50 new factions, direct x 13, free ice cream and a tricycle

See, this post represents nicely what is wrong with people.

Somebody expresses his displeasure at something. But instead of addressing the issue, you post a crybaby image. And when challenged about it, you fall to absolute idiotic exaggeration.

It is always the same. Whatever happens partitions certain groups into two camps. One camp that immediately jumps at BIS anus-first for not including X, and the other camp that immediately labels ANY criticism as whining.

I have news for you: Neither of you are helping.People that voice genuine criticism are immediately yelled down by the likes of you, while people that express genuine satisfaction are immediately yelled down by the likes of the other camp. 2nd Ranger's post certainly has merits. It would have been nice to see something different, not always US, but another local faction. This is a very valid point. Instead, you post a crybaby, and act all butthurt when someone points it out to you. Instead of trying to argue your point, you resort to name calling. Instead of discussion, you resort to exaggerating.

2nd Ranger did not ask for 10 islands and 50 vehicles. He expressed his dissatisfaction with the fact that we get the same faction retextured (not even that, actually, since the NATO vehicles have the same desert texture as before). You try to ridicule that by equating it to a completely unreasonable demand.

When are people going to learn that there is a middle ground? When are people going to start listening and empathizing with others and not calling each other haters or fanboys just because your opinion differs? And finally, when are people going to STOP POSTING when they have NOTHING to add to a topic?

Geez, I am probably wasting my time with this, and I wouldn't be surprised if I get moderated for this, but frankly, people and postings like this is what poisons this forum. On both side of the fence.

• Like 20

No you aren't wasting time.Great post Alwarren.

I'd like to see vest and backpack options that match the new CTRG splinter camo on the stealth uniforms, and an Altis CTRG variant of the stealth uniforms. A black variant of CSAT's Special Purpose uniform and helmet would be a plus too, but I'm not so worried about that. Also, I think the stealth balaclava should use the green combat goggles instead of the tan ones, it seems a bit out of place.

• Like 1

See, this post represents nicely what is wrong with people.

Somebody expresses his displeasure at something. But instead of addressing the issue, you post a crybaby image. And when challenged about it, you fall to absolute idiotic exaggeration.

It is always the same. Whatever happens partitions certain groups into two camps. One camp that immediately jumps at BIS anus-first for not including X, and the other camp that immediately labels ANY criticism as whining.

I have news for you: Neither of you are helping.People that voice genuine criticism are immediately yelled down by the likes of you, while people that express genuine satisfaction are immediately yelled down by the likes of the other camp. 2nd Ranger's post certainly has merits. It would have been nice to see something different, not always US, but another local faction. This is a very valid point. Instead, you post a crybaby, and act all butthurt when someone points it out to you. Instead of trying to argue your point, you resort to name calling. Instead of discussion, you resort to exaggerating.

2nd Ranger did not ask for 10 islands and 50 vehicles. He expressed his dissatisfaction with the fact that we get the same faction retextured (not even that, actually, since the NATO vehicles have the same desert texture as before). You try to ridicule that by equating it to a completely unreasonable demand.

When are people going to learn that there is a middle ground? When are people going to start listening and empathizing with others and not calling each other haters or fanboys just because your opinion differs? And finally, when are people going to STOP POSTING when they have NOTHING to add to a topic?

Geez, I am probably wasting my time with this, and I wouldn't be surprised if I get moderated for this, but frankly, people and postings like this is what poisons this forum. On both side of the fence.

Last time someone called people out like that Christianity literally split in two.

That said; I don't mind the fact that the new uniforms and vests are just old retextured ones. For a single military (Let's assume NATO and CSAT are at this point) fielding different uniforms to parts of the world which are more or less the same temperature doesn't make a lot of sense (but I do agree they could use a  touch-up). What I do dislike is that all the NATO Pacific gear looks utterly lifeless. Everything is bland and spotless. The uniforms (and vests/backpacks) don't even look like cloth, they looks like a latex suits with camouflage print (and an almost monochromatic one at that).

I don't mind the rubbery cleanness of the CTRG uniforms though, it suits them, being sooper-dooper high tech IR masking and all. Speaking of CTRG, they could have done with a new plate carrier-esque vest, or even the old CTRG vests. They just look silly in their tactical vests and AAF grenadier vests without the digital camo.

The stealth combat helmet doesn't really do anything the stealth balaclava + regular helmet don't do already. I'd much prefer it's inclusion as a new variant of the NATO helmet, aimed at CQC (or Prowler gunners, that's the sort of job the face thing IRL was developed for). 

That said; I don't mind the fact that the new uniforms and vests are just old retextured ones. For a single military (Let's assume NATO and CSAT are at this point) fielding different uniforms to parts of the world which are more or less the same temperature doesn't make a lot of sense (but I do agree they could use a  touch-up). What I do dislike is that all the NATO Pacific gear looks utterly lifeless. Everything is bland and spotless. The uniforms (and vests/backpacks) don't even look like cloth, they looks like a latex suits with camouflage print (and an almost monochromatic one at that).

I don't mind the rubbery cleanness of the CTRG uniforms though, it suits them, being sooper-dooper high tech IR masking and all. Speaking of CTRG, they could have done with a new plate carrier-esque vest, or even the old CTRG vests. They just look silly in their tactical vests and AAF grenadier vests without the digital camo.

The stealth combat helmet doesn't really do anything the stealth balaclava + regular helmet don't do already. I'd much prefer it's inclusion as a new variant of the NATO helmet, aimed at CQC (or Prowler gunners, that's the sort of job the face thing IRL was developed for). 

+1

Maby we get a big update after apex release (i hope so).

It looks like they developed the fractions like CTRG without thinking about the clothing. Its the point you mentioned. They have a cheap tactical vest and using stuff from the AAF. It feels like an unfinished fraction which is cobbled together.

• Like 1