endstar

Action Menu Streamlining

Pressing multiple times the "main weapon" key could indeed cycle firemods.

That said, dev could consider adding a configurations menu where you can enable/disable all actions that are bound (weird to use this word here). Some people may want to keep bound actions in the actions menu, some other could want to delete actions they never uses (maybe reloading a specific colour of smoke 'nad, which can be done from the inventory).

I can just repeat myself. With the new Apex key settings, the "F" key is becoming freed of its purpose since one can set weapons switch/firemod switch to the number keys and the "F" key is the perfect key for a general action key.

There is the problem. When you select number for weapon it changes FireMod and on to GL. While F key now can work only as FireMod changer, which is good. We still need a special button for general operations like: open/close, in/out, take, etc.

Let's say you have rifle with GL, best solution, Number 1 is pistol, Number 2 is rifle and cycle the FireMod, Number 3 GL, Number 4 AT/AA, Number 5 bla bla. Then we can have F as button for general operations: open/close, in/out, take, etc.

There is the problem. When you select number for weapon it changes FireMod and on to GL. While F key now can work only as FireMod changer, which is good. We still need a special button for general operations like: open/close, in/out, take, etc.

Let's say you have rifle with GL, best solution, Number 1 is pistol, Number 2 is rifle and cycle the FireMod, Number 3 GL, Number 4 AT/AA, Number 5 bla bla. Then we can have F as button for general operations: open/close, in/out, take, etc.

Whats wrong with a double tap on the select number?

By the way, i think the devs are way ahead of us on this one.

Take a look at the relatively new bis revive feature. It has the context action (revive) on spacebar, together with a complete new interface for it.

Of course this could have only be an experiment, but since arma 3, the devs have always be very deliberate with new implementations.

Whats wrong with a double tap on the select number?

Because why not having GL on seperated key like in other FPS games. It's easy and effective.You can even say it's realistic. Real life situation, you got M4 with M203:" Ok I see that far away guy, I'll now switch on single and blow his head off, cycle click, boom, you fired M203 instead of rifle and m203 lands way off the target" Is that possible,NO, because Trigger for M203 is not same as cycle rate switch, for a reason. Yeah stupid example, but that happens sometime in ArmA3. Give GL seperated number and problem solved.

By the way, i think the devs are way ahead of us on this one.

If your right than they should defnitely share their progress, otherwise our feedback would be pointless.

Let's say you have rifle with GL, best solution, Number 1 is pistol, Number 2 is rifle and cycle the FireMod, Number 3 GL, Number 4 AT/AA, Number 5 bla bla.

I like that idea so let me continue...

1 - Rifle
2 - Pistol
3 - GL (Pressing key 3 multiple times should cycle through grenade types and pressing the reload key, should chamber them)
4 - AT/AA
5 - Frag G.
6 - Smoke(all sorts of)
7 - Chemlights/IR and other misc stuff.

That's IMHO the best the solution because it also takes care of the endless cycling through grenades, just to cycle one too far and start all over again :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: (Yes, one smiley is not enough)

• Like 1

If your right than they should defnitely share their progress, otherwise our feedback would be pointless.

I like that idea so let me continue...

1 - Rifle
2 - Pistol
3 - GL (Pressing key 3 multiple times should cycle through grenade types and pressing the reload key, should chamber them)
4 - AT/AA
5 - Frag G.
6 - Smoke(all sorts of)
7 - Chemlights/IR and other misc stuff.

That's IMHO the best the solution because it also takes care of the endless cycling through grenades, just to cycle one too far and start all over again :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: (Yes, one smiley is not enough)

I agree, except I think it would be better to have rifle number and GL number next to each other, imagine you want to select GL but you select 2, then you have to wait until changes to pistol and back. 

I agree, except I think it would be better to have rifle number and GL number next to each other, imagine you want to select GL but you select 2, then you have to wait until changes to pistol and back. 

You can do that with any key of your keyboard, and with any game.

You can do that with any key of your keyboard, and with any game.

Yes, with A3 also, since devs are improving it, they might as well improve it correctly :D

+1 for frag/smoke separation - again something done by ACE3 (and was AGM, I believe), incredibly useful thing.

I might even give up on Spacebar being weapon switching for me (has been since OPFL). :D

Unfortunately in Arma3 menu of actions sometimes make life of player difficult.
Some thoughts on improving the menu of actions, namely section 6 (special commands) to his subordinates.

1) If a player wants to change weapon of his subordinate AI, then such a simple task turns into a little problem. 
During the fight, (when there are a lot of dead) in the list of all the available weapons listed all the weapons that are in the map! 
This greatly clutters up the action menu(several pages!)  and it has not the slightest sense, because the player doesn't know exactly where is located a specific weapon from this list.
The player sees the endless list - "take katiba 6.5 mm, "take katiba 6.5 mm, "take katiba 6.5 mm, and etc. 
What does it do? It is just clutter the action menu!
I think need to place in this list only one type of weapon.
If a player will order an AI subordinate to take Katiba 6.5 mm, then the AI should take the closest to him weapon Katiba 6.5 mm. Such a feature would greatly simplify the actions menu (on a few pages less!) It will be a good progress.

2) As it seems to me the priorities in the actions menu are wrong. 
First, the player sees endless lists of weapons (described above) and only after this the important special commands. 
I think in the list of special command(6-button) should be the first important commands ( for example - "Inventory", "Open the  subordinate inventory", "Instal Mine", "Repair", "Heal himself" and etc) and only after this, should be "Take" commands.
Either way, the decision of the first point could greatly facilitate the second paragraph.

3) In the actions menu there is a command to "Take" (if on the ground is any object), however, the player does not understand what object owns the command "Take".
If on the ground dropped several items, then the Player sees only "take", "take", "take" and doesn't understand what item belongs this command. 
I would like to see in the action menu mentioned the subject. For example - "Take  Backpack", "Take Gear" and etc and etc..
Any repetition, also could be excluded (as in paragraph 1).The list should not be clogged and  AI should always to take only the closest object to him.

PS: Later, I notice that item â„– 3 in my list has a problem only in Russian localization. (There are no names of the objects)!

In the English version does not have this problem. 

Your three points are related to the communication menu (AI commanding menu) which I hope will get a massive overhaul too

Truth be told, when come to AI, I don't even try with take this, take that, I just tell them to rearm. Everything else is way to complicated, when you are in critical situations. For now just give us better number binding keys for weapons and equipment with connected cycle options. Also give us key "F" for general things

If a player wants to change weapon of his subordinate AI, then such a simple task turns into a little problem. 

During the fight, (when there are a lot of dead) in the list of all the available weapons listed all the weapons that are in the map! 
This greatly clutters up the action menu(several pages!)  and it has not the slightest sense, because the player doesn't know exactly where is located a specific weapon from this list.
The player sees the endless list - "take katiba 6.5 mm, "take katiba 6.5 mm, "take katiba 6.5 mm, and etc. 
What does it do? It is just clutter the action menu!
I think need to place in this list only one type of weapon.
If a player will order an AI subordinate to take Katiba 6.5 mm, then the AI should take the closest to him weapon Katiba 6.5 mm. Such a feature would greatly simplify the actions menu (on a few pages less!) It will be a good progress.

This, similar actions should be grouped in one. Furthermore, I would like to see a distance from the subordinate AI to the object that will be interacted with.

For instance:

Place AT mine
Open inventory
Take Katiba 6.5mm (164m)
Because why not having GL on seperated key like in other FPS games. It's easy and effective.You can even say it's realistic. Real life situation, you got M4 with M203:" Ok I see that far away guy, I'll now switch on single and blow his head off, cycle click, boom, you fired M203 instead of rifle and m203 lands way off the target" Is that possible,NO, because Trigger for M203 is not same as cycle rate switch, for a reason. Yeah stupid example, but that happens sometime in ArmA3. Give GL seperated number and problem solved.

Agreed, but I was referring to double tapping the select number to change fire speed just like you said. Freeing the F key for simple context-based actions such as opening a door or window, taking an item, getting in and out of vehicles.

Agreed, but I was referring to double tapping the select number to change fire speed.

I'm totaly for that, double tap for weapon number to change firing mode. 

Your three points are related to the communication menu (AI commanding menu) which I hope will get a massive overhaul too

Yes I have not found special topics and is therefore placed here. After all, we are talking about the action menu

Truth be told, when come to AI, I don't even try with take this, take that, I just tell them to rearm. Everything else is way to complicated, when you are in critical situations. 

If you order subordinate AI only "Rearm" command, then it will not work. AI only will say "Understood" and would not do anything.

Unfortunately the Rearm command is now (v 1.56) not working in ARMA/

Are you sure, with v1.56 I've completed again 3rd episode and it was working. I'll need to check it again.

might have been mentioned already but i'd really want to see an option to get rid of all reload scroll actions for specific mags and reload in general. i wasn't sure how the inventory handles gl muzzles so i went ingame and teted, turns out it's really great. kudos to whoever designed that inventory system, one of the most advanced and well executed areas compared to arma 2 imho.

not only does it feel more immersive than scrolling through a list but instead you actually have to look into your vest and backpack like you would in rl and literally put the mag/grenade into the weapon. it would also get rid of that annoying reload icon in the middle of the screen, feels really out of place anyways.

so consider this another vote for removing those reload actions.

• Like 3

Get in and out of vehicles. Default to Driver, if occupied go to Gunner etc etc. If you hold the enter button down on the  vehicle you can select the position type you wish to get into, driver / co-pilot , gunner, commander, cargo. same key should also eject or get out depending on what is available at the time. Having 2 options for essentially the same thing is redundant and should be removed.

Hark fellow ARMA players and BI devs!

I come to you with a proposition to help streamline the action menu and help remove it's need. This system would be one method to solve the issue of switching ammo types via scrolling and instead make an intuitive, nice looking method which would not require any additional keybinds (unless wanted by the player for more control). Ignore the fact that I made this diagram in paint.net and just imagine the normal nice ARMA menus and such. As well as a extremely light weight magazine management system. I mean you are adding in proper vehicle Fire Control Systems and CCIP systems so why stop there?

w5qXcO0.png

Also I agree with various other people on this thread, never in my life have I ever used the 'Rearm' function in the action menu. I'm pretty sure any time I have ever accidentally pressed it, it did not actually add anything to my inventory. Not much need for it in my opinion. For infantry anyway, vehicles it's definitely a must.

• Like 3

It's not a big deal to let actions in the Action Menu. The issue is more about letting critical actions in it, such as placing explosives or treat yourself.

It's not a big deal to let actions in the Action Menu. The issue is more about letting critical actions in it, such as placing explosives or treat yourself.

No it's not, but it should be an option to be able to remove the action menu entirely or at least make a new action menu that does not rely solely on the scrolling of a mousewheel as well as having multiple options which can be accidentally used or cause confusion. E.g. trying to open a door you are looking at but actually opening one to the side.

I honestly think ACE has always had the right system. Using a two interaction menus which each contain sub menus, separate from other actions. It's how I'd love to see it done in the base game.

What about allowing custom colour coding to actions? Kinda like how you can customise the hud colours etc currently...

Any update from devs what's currently in the works? Otherwise we keep posting suggetions here which are irrelevant.

Btw: +1 for the mag repack. Why isn't that a thing in A3 yet?

• Like 2

I kinda like the ACE action menu..having all actions inside it would be more than satisfying