t.a.6

What text editor are you using?

First curious for my self, second want to create the theme for beginners to safe their time in finding the good.., the thing ) .

I have been using Arma Edit with an updated command list ever since I started scripting, but recently I have been considering going to Notepad++, due to it lacking some features of a modern IDE, and I don't use the Arma-specific features of it at all. It's also lacking in project management, as you can only add so many files to an active project, and you can circumvent that restriction but adding too many actually crashes the program. Also, it was created for Arma 2 so all Arma 2 classnames are added, but since I use it for Arma 3...no arma 3 classnames are recognized.

Basically, it's strongest features are automatically filling in Description.ext when I select to make a description.ext, so I just have to click save, and automatically stamping all files I create with author information.

i tryed notepad++, sublime text, began hate them almost at start, now trying atom , looks promising, will try the poseidon after.

Sublime Text 3.

Install Package Manager.

Install SQF Plugin.

ok, tryed them all, so:

Atom:

looks like easiest one,

have perfect SQF syntax package,

automatically setted perfect, very comfortable auto finishing with command's information (can create scripts without b.i. wiki at all)

and easiest way to create snippets,

+ most comfortable of tryed,

and have little useful "welcome" guide and interface with some settings at start,

+ searches for commands, settings and what ever else,

online downloading packages and themes + to self updates search,

best for quick start.

perfect for comfortable, fast, quickest beginning|'1| ) , codes, scrips and even mods writing (yes, so mutch it's comfortable ) )|1|(i tryed c++, sublime, and only in atom `(3-rd) understood how everything is working here (before writed everything in notepqad)).

but:

i still didn't found where (possible found, but no idea how) to create functions, rules,

and possible here is lower abilities (maybe not) than in other 3.

And anyone know how to mark tabs and |new line|s in "js" ? (for snippets creating)

Sublime text and poseidon:

poseidon is technically - modified sublime text,

good sqf syntax,

+ additions exactly for armas,

together they have some function which have one and do not have another,

visual customising is -_.. (or need to much dig in),

all settings and actually almost everything in consoles.

Notepad++:

easiest creation of rules and |syntaxes|1 ("|1|" - yeap, can easy create self),

Is there limitation's to only 8 operators , .. , .. ?

!! alone who have interface for key bindings,

easiest visual customization,

friendly connecting to windows's programs (opening in browsers; google, wikipedia search (in the program)).

(not fact)more options then in atom, bit better access to them then in sublime

Atom SQF package is the same as the Sublime Text one

Don't stop at Poseidon. Use Sublime Text 3 instead. (Poseidon is on v2)

Is there limitation's to only 8 operators , .. , .. ?

What do you mean by this? I'm certain you can use whatever operators you want for whatever code you are programming in...

And to make a small note on the whole thread here, it honestly comes down to personal preference for people, there is no sure answer on these programming environments, new to scripting or not.

0_159ba3_2b2812c9_orig

And i know, just trying to provide some information.

Atom SQF package is the same as the Sublime Text one

Don't stop at Poseidon. Use Sublime Text 3 instead. (Poseidon is on v2)

Don't know, i couldn't install the sublimes's ) , but didn't saw what it showing information about commands, write in atom is like in ingame consoles + information about commands, + can make own presets, with information.

'.source.sqf':
  'if':
    'prefix': 'if'
    'body': 'if($1)then{\n  $2\n};'
  'if else':
    'prefix': 'ifelse'
    'body': 'if($1)then{\n  $2\n}else{\n  $3\n};'

first time meeted j.s., /\ '(snippets) after 15 minutes, |' i , tab -> if( _ )then{ _ }; , 0!=0 , tab , 0=0; , getting:

if(0!=0)then{
  0=0;
};

Visual studio code showing colors examples: |box with color| hsl(250, 80%, 45%); its pretty cool.

By some steps i'm moving to notepad ++ side, because of it's easiest customization.

(atom are good preconfigured and work ready, but (in my case: don't like the color themes (too soft), ~ hour tryed to configure it, but didn't)).

Notepad ++

Is it possible to add files, folders tree to left side ?

I use Notepad++ but also scite/scintilla. I normally have both open, because I like the difference in display styles.

I also use beyond compare quite a lot. And qdir browser. And I also use dngrep a lot, like, all the time with arma missions.

Those are about it.

is it possible to set the notepad up for he deleting connected bracket when deleting another?

And get files , folders tree in left part of workspace?

Is it possible to add files, folders tree to left side ?

Plugins Menu, Explorer, Explorer

If the explorer plugin is not installed, use the Plugin Manager

• Like 1

Yeah, thanks, name of plugin i would be perfect some time ago (already found) but thanks.

Awesome, didn't know about that ;)

It pains me greatly to say this, but Poseidon is apparently abandonware. The previously talkative @Tom_48_97 hasn't replied to the Poseidon thread since August year before last. Even if he's tagged, it gets ignored. I propose that doing this is henceforth known as doing a @klamacz. See here.

If I'm honest, I had a sinking feeling that this would happen when he because officially BI team. Ho hum.

So I'm moving to Visual Studio as that appears to have the next best level IDE for SQF.