glocks999

This game is too hard :(

I'm not bad in this game, I've become too used to the AI limitations.. But playing against other people, especially in twitch-tacticals such as Rainbow Six Siege, I get creamed a lot, and my bad ping doesn't help :(

Just practice, over time you will improve and end up being an ArmA 3 master!

As posted here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/150499-ai-discussion-dev-branch/?p=2973483

even with the Ai skill slide slid all the way to the left -essentially "zero" those skills are too high and need to be totally recalibrated., I spend rainMan like time studying these and there is just very little to no tangible difference between 0.2 Accuracy (novice/zero) and 1 (expert). That means a lowly crewman can hang against a Recon Sharpshooter- there is little difference minus the weapon. That is why we hear so much about getting sniped @400 by an AK. The sad part is its entirely fixable but just not addressed.

the other problems are the too fast spotting and recognition by AI (haven't tested the subSKills here enough) and lack of caring or realistic animation when wounded. Hit an enemy in chest he flinches and headshots you.

Personally I love the AI overall, but am puzzled why they dont just sit a few real soldiers down against the AI for an afternoon, get their feedback on what did/didn't feel real and start calibrating.

Because that would actually take effort. It's much easier to just let the community write AI scripts themselves and fix yet another broken aspect of this game, the AI on this game simply does not cut it unless it's very small scale firefights and even then it still feels awkward at best.

Here's a post of mine from almost 1.5 years ago responding to someone else who was having difficulty battling the AI.

I think the people wants a IA related with "times", a horde of idiotic robots easy to kill to feel like a real "macho", but in real warfare if you dont cover properly and assisted by your squad you are a dead man.

This game represent very well this concept and force the player to think, but the people dont think in this days.

Instead read about how to improve your tactics in the game (OODA, Mission command, etc), the people grab a cheat go to the KOTH servers ( an a complete abomination in tactically spoken) to feel very comfortable with his BE ban... :)

Making mission and testing the IA in deep show me how to flexible is the parameter framework to create your perfect soldier to play, but again nobody is ready to spend time balancing mission and thinking about considerations like terrain, ratio of enemies, events, powerfire, ia strength and things like that.

Is more easy make a complaint instead dig deeper in the game engine to find the true gold.

But this is not my problem indeed.

I've been building SP scenarios and missions recently and for at least a few of them, I've never beaten them without dying. I die A LOT. But each time I learn from my mistakes.

I appreciate that a game can be challenging and not just hand everything to you. You (the player) must train hard and get better to survive.

After grinding away a ton while play-testing, I'm noticeably better in combat than I was just a few months ago. It gets better with time, but it's a heck of an investment.

I have stopped using 5.56 entirely. Everything else above is much better wrt. stopping power because of the armor impliied on the AI. Of course that requires that you can choose within the mission

In this way, arma is more of a "life" simulator then people care to admit lol

Because

Actions have consequences in the game which is slowly being leeched out of most games

I was playing a mission yesterday and doing quite well and about 45 mins in. We assaulted a compound and with the bullets flying everywhere, I took up a position next to the guard post at the gate. With all the bullets flying I didn't check the inside of the post and moved past it and one of the opfor was prone there and killed me.

• Like 1

...i hide behind rocks or a tree, they one shot me..

Bullets don't go through hard cover like rocks or treetrunks or buildings or walls or ridges etc, so if you make sure parts of your anatomy are not sticking out they can't touch you.

Bushes and shrubs are only soft cover and won't protect you because bullets go straight through the leaves.

As for joining random servers, most run around like disorganised crackheads, so join a proper well-organised group instead..:)

Try an AI mod. Bcombat or ASR or something.

These mods help the AI take cover and react more lifelike, which means less of the AI laying in the open and sniping at you.

Well, after more than 5000 hours playing America's Army 1, 2 and 3 (since 2003 till 2009) and with more than 2000 with Counter Strike (Source and GO) I can say. There is nothing dificult in ARMA 3, in fact its a child playground.

(btw with ARMA 3 I only have around 1300 hours).

Except That AI ignores being shot, there is nothing difficult with Arma 3. Its quite easy game.

2 things i would change:

1. AI should react to being hit. Now it only flinches. I would like it to react somehow more realisticaly, like fall on the ground, get to cover, stop shooting for a while and get to cover, or something like that

2. AI should use cover, try to get the hell out of open spaces when fired upon, use supressive fire use tactics like flanking etc.

Also AI should learn to shoot better. When i play aginst players on longer ranges, its usualy if they shoot first they kill me with first or second shot. When i play against AI they take about 6-10 shots before they are able to hit.  

Also AI should learn to shoot better. When i play aginst players on longer ranges, its usualy if they shoot first they kill me with first or second shot. When i play against AI they take about 6-10 shots before they are able to hit.  

I'm my personal experience when this happens is more related with a cheat framework than pure skill, the IA shoot very accurately right now. Try increase the IA strenght to maximum levels and see the diference.

3500 hours clocked on my ArmA 3 and the AI are all super-soldiers. Do not fret too much, each game is an experience and a learning curve :)

AI has already quite large amount of aiming difficulties, there is aiming error, suppression, both health and fatigue (sorry, stamina) are influencing ability to shoot at target. Skill has greatest influence, but also has weapon. AI with better optics will spot you faster and shoot at you more precisely.

From my personal perspective, as I'm also playing Arma, both aiming error and suppression added greatly to my survivability. I usually test AI on default skill, default infantry, on normal difficulty, but not only. If you guys have some repro mission for god-like-brutal-robotic-killing-machines, I will be happy to add it to my collection of test missions ;)

• Like 1

AI has already quite large amount of aiming difficulties, there is aiming error, suppression, both health and fatigue (sorry, stamina) are influencing ability to shoot at target. Skill has greatest influence, but also has weapon. AI with better optics will spot you faster and shoot at you more precisely.

From my personal perspective, as I'm also playing Arma, both aiming error and suppression added greatly to my survivability. I usually test AI on default skill, default infantry, on normal difficulty, but not only. If you guys have some repro mission for god-like-brutal-robotic-killing-machines, I will be happy to add it to my collection of test missions ;)

you're the one the contact if a AI issue is spotted ?

you're the one the contact if a AI issue is spotted ?

There is this other guy, Feedback Tracker. I'm one of many, AI issues are better to report through FT. 

• Like 1

... fatigue (sorry, stamina)

Oh you better be sorry about that... ;)

• Like 2

Arma 3 AI is literally hackers, seeing through walls, seeing over fences and flanking you even when you were never exposed to them in a first place. How they know which direction to flank you if they did not even see you? Yeah, wall hacks. That's why I prefer playing against people. There has to be line of sight for them to see you and they actually have to be LOOKING in your direction to gain any information on where you are. AI does not need that, it just flanks you anyway because walls and structures do not exist to AI.

And hiding behind structures and shooting makes no difference to AI. They try to kill you even when you fully covered protected inside building so imagine if you expose 1 inch of your body (aka some edgy stance) and they see half of your body and will still one shot you in the head. It makes for you harder to hit them actually, not for AI.

Just bought the game, was hyped for over a month, i regret it.Tried singleplayer, enemies spot me everytime i sneak up from a distance, they one shot me, i hide behind rocks or a tree, they one shot me. When they are out in the open, not even hiding i and steadily shooting at them, but either none of the bullets hit or they have too much health. Tried multiplayer, joining random servers not knowing what to do in any server, i just get kicked. 

What do i do?

Practice helps a lot

play more of the campaign and if possible

get friends to help you 

:D

That's funny because I was just going to say I don't believe the AI based on its behavior seem remotely as affected by the mitigating factors that players have to contend with when it comes to aiming after sighting a target.

In general optimally speaking I would slow the AI down somewhat at each interval from spotting to stance to shouldering to firing, not by much mind you, but at least somewhat.

Their ability to get on-target after moving quickly is rather uncanny, but then again my machine is not a top performer.

And IMO they don't seem nearly as affected by sway especially after running and moving around like crazy, remember that when players aim down sights one's mouse movement is restricted, is this also simulated for the AI?

I also think that it may well also be relative based on performance, player movement and agility especially with the mouse seems to go downhill sharply (and I may say not proportionately) when one's PC is under load, so could I ask if the AI behavior is constrained to performance? If it isn't that may greatly magnify the difficulty of AI if they're operating as if there are far fewer impediments.

I absolutely believe it should be, it would be one thing if you're playing/testing the game under absolutely optimal conditions, however I suspect a fairly good chunk of arma players may well not be.

Arma 3 AI is literally hackers, seeing through walls, seeing over fences and flanking you even when you were never exposed to them in a first place. How they know which direction to flank you if they did not even see you? Yeah, wall hacks. That's why I prefer playing against people. There has to be line of sight for them to see you and they actually have to be LOOKING in your direction to gain any information on where you are. AI does not need that, it just flanks you anyway because walls and structures do not exist to AI.

And hiding behind structures and shooting makes no difference to AI. They try to kill you even when you fully covered protected inside building so imagine if you expose 1 inch of your body (aka some edgy stance) and they see half of your body and will still one shot you in the head. It makes for you harder to hit them actually, not for AI.

It isn't so much that they "see you", however we had the problem in Arma 2 as well, they "hear" you like a bat does echolocation, I actually solved that problem myself by drastically reducing the base AI's "sensitivityEar" variable and if you go down far enough it is like they can't tell where you are at all if they can't see you. In Arma 2 I also managed to convince a skeptic that the AI could also see perfectly 180 degrees for all intents and purposes, they had perfect peripheral vision and would treat spotting you out of the corner of their field of view as if they were looking directly at you.

I personally don't advocate turning it down really low, but I do believe the AI's ability to discern unique sounds from the player and determine where they are is completely jacked.

..enemies spot me everytime i sneak up from a distance, they one shot me, i hide behind rocks or a tree, they one shot me. When they are out in the open, not even hiding i and steadily shooting at them, but either none of the bullets hit or they have too much health...

Yes, the AA2/3 AI bots have always been too good, so follow these tips to improve your chances of staying alive as an infantryman-

They can't kill you if they can't see you, so stay invisible behind solid cover like treetrunks, boulders, walls, buildings ground contours or in ditches etc, with no part of your head or body exposed or they'll shoot it off. 

If they saw you get into cover the bots might still shoot at you for a while but their bullets will simply splatter harmlessly off the hard cover.

Forget about hiding behind bushes and shrubs because bots have x-ray vision and will soon spot you and will fire through the leaves to nail you. 

In the open, Go prone whenever possible because you'll be ten times harder to hit. 

Let the bots walk into your line of fire, don't you walk into theirs!

As von Richthofen once said- "It is best if the customer comes to the shop". For example if a bot platoon is advancing towards you, stay behind a house and pick them off one by one as they come into view round the corner.

Use "double tap" firing when you get an enemy in your rifle sights, meaning fire twice in quick succession BAM BAM a split second apart to double your chances of scoring a hit.

Use your grenades, you can throw them over walls and buildings etc without exposing yourself.

Use 3rd-person view most of the time which gives you a view from a few feet above and behind you for better situational awareness.

Of course, if you're on the attacking side you can't stay in cover all the time but some of the above principles still apply, like putting hard cover between you and him during your advance. And if the time and situation allows, go prone and advance on your belly as much as possible to make yourself a small target.

Tank combat also uses some of the above principles. On the attack I like to put all my tanks close together rather than disperse them all over the field:- "Punch with your fist, not with spread fingers"- Gen. Heinz Guderian.   

Finally, everybody has their own favourite way of playing so don't take my suggestions as gospel, all I know is that they work for me..:)

AI with better optics will spot you faster and shoot at you more precisely.

hahaha oh wow. Do you even arma??? AI optics makes absolutely no difference in how fast or hard they spot you! Get on with the times, it's Arma 3 AI, they see through everything even developers said that somewhere (won't bother to look specific video or topic).

Facts: AI can shoot with iron sights up to 500m or sometimes more no problem and headshot you. And I am speaking from personal experience too. Did a mission, killed AI, died to them twice while sniping at 1000 m range yet when I looted bodies all I saw was ACO optics. Yeah, optics really make such difference for AI :D It doesn't.

Forget about hiding behind bushes and shrubs because bots have x-ray vision and will soon spot you and will fire through the leaves to nail you. 

The clutter has been fixed since about 1.50 or so release.

The bushes and trees will cover your visibility to some degree now however AI will still follow a known path to what they expect you to do based on speed and direction that you were traveling.

However I havent tested this on Cup terrains yet and I do not know if those will show the same results.