duda123

Advanced Tow Ropes

That looks pretty impressive! How did you go about the problem with the friction of the towed vehicle?

When towing on the ground, the ropes don't actually move the vehicle. There's a separate algorithm that calculates the position + direction of the vehicle and moves it as if the ropes were towing it. Once the towing vehicle lifts of the ground though, the ropes are used. 

• Like 3

Nice. That's a suitable workaround, I hope it doesn't make problems with large amounts of players in MP.

Nice. That's a suitable workaround, I hope it doesn't make problems with large amounts of players in MP.

Yeah... yet to see how smooth it looks to other players in MP.

First slings, now tow ropes?  It's like RAV_Raven's back from the dead!

• Like 1

Very impressive-I almost didn't believe before I saw you lift two vehicles with one chopper :D Good going mate! I take it works for tracked vehicles as well? Are there weight limits ie: can a quad bike pull an Mrap?

I'll have to build some logic into it so that a quad bike can't pull an mrap :) Probably will use the vehicle's mass to determine what can and can't be towed.

six_ten, ideally, yes. However, I just tried and it needs some more work.

• Like 1

I'll have to build some logic into it so that a quad bike can't pull an mrap :) Probably will use the vehicle's mass to determine what can and can't be towed.

six_ten, ideally, yes. However, I just tried and it needs some more work.

Cool.  Are there any special memory points I need to add to my (custom) models so they'll be compatible?

I should be able to get this to work without custom memory points.

Thinking of having an action available on all vehicles (Ropes > Take Tow Ropes)

The player would then be able to drag around both ends of the tow rope. Next the player would need to walk up the front/rear of a vehicle and attach the ropes to a tow hitch, and then drag the other end of the rope over to the vehicle to be towed. The player would then attach the ropes to the front/rear of the other vehicle.

• Like 1

Will you add these functions to ACE 3? would be very nice

• Like 1

At the risk of being "that guy," if you do fast ropes next I'll love you forever.

Great work! Looking forward to this!

Edit No clue why there is a black line through my post..odd.

Diesel

At the risk of being "that guy," if you do fast ropes next I'll love you forever.

I was about to say the same thing. If you do fast roping I'm going to love you for all eternity!

Can't wait to add this to our server.  It looks amazing,  very smooth and flows great.  I've never seen realistic towing as good as it shows in your video. Great work. 

Will this work in water -- can a boat tow another boat?

This will work?

Yes, in a few tests I've done, towing works in the water as well.

• Like 1

Yes, in a few tests I've done, towing works in the water as well.

Is there any way to strengthen the ropes?  I've been trying to make an anchor for a boat but the boat is too heavy and stretches then snaps the rope.

Is there any way to strengthen the ropes?  I've been trying to make an anchor for a boat but the boat is too heavy and stretches then snaps the rope.

What are you trying to anchor a boat to?