Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

7 hours ago, oldbear said:

@ Gunter Severloh : whaou! It's looking like a good war machine.

I'm happy to have helped, that's how things must work :icon_cool:

Thank you, ya its great, I've yet to really play anything with it, even arma3 just a mere 2 hr test with win7 which still blew me away before i upgraded to Win10.

Still need to sort out some settings and look into overclocking, i just transferred all my steam games to my 2nd SSD this morning which i want my windows SSD to be mainly my OS,

so having an SSD dedicated to games/mods really helps keeps things clean.

I bought an aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan, the CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler For AMD/Intel CPU

i never worked with anything like that, used to the standard size, but this thing is a beast!

• Like 1

Helicopters showcase

97 FPS - i5-8600K 5.3 GHz (4.9 GHz AVX)

97 FPS - i7-8700K 4.9 GHz (4.7 GHz AVX)

83 FPS - i7-7700K 5.0 GHz

83 FPS - i7-7740X 5.1 GHz

oc_nv_arma3.png

Will wait for Z390 mainboards or even better - for next gen 6 cores Intel cpus.

Speaking about waiting ... I will wait for Zen2  :icon_cool:

Speaking of Ryzen: I optimized my RAM timings a bit more and see what I get in the YAAB with a Ryzen @ 3.8GHz:

3eEszP3EPCdZ.jpg

I do think thats quite competitive (and also fast enough for me by far)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mahatma Gandhi said:

I do think thats quite competitive (and also fast enough for me by far)

Its competitive? Not on price terms, it isn't. It's WAY too expensive

You're just being obtuse. You know exactly what I mean.

• Like 1

Please cool down a bit and don't make it personal ...

It's true that the Ryzen release had bring back AMD in the competition.

But for a gamer playing Arma3, a Ryzen 1700 is not the best choice.

Both in terms of performances and budget.

LuCy27g.jpg

Source : http://www.comptoir-hardware.com/articles/cpu-mobo-ram/34020-test-amd-ryzen.html?start=15

The good new is that now you can build an AMD based platform allowing to play ... and enjoy playing Arma3.

9 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

You're just being obtuse. You know exactly what I mean.

Sorry, I do not. I think the 1700 is a very good offer. Whats your build, what did you pay, whats your yaab score and do you only play ARMA3 or also others.

It's rather simple ...

On the AMD side, the R5 1600 is a better bang for the bucks CPU.

From Arma3 gaming point of view, an Intel i5-7600K is a better offer at a lower cost [without the RAM gambling part].

I guess that might be true if you're doing nothing but ArmA3 with that System.

Yet, I think that >60 FPS in YAAB is very good or can someone here deliver more with an 8 Core 16 Threads system? And yes, I am not only playing ArmA3 with that System. 

Playing Arma3 ... of course, what else ? 

"Will-my-pc-run-Arma3?" is a thread for all Arma 3 hardware/specifications discussion, no less, no more.

Getting >60 FPS in YAAB with "Low" presets is not a clue.

As I have posted elsewhere it's telling nothing about Arma3 CPU hierarchy and this CPU ranking

In order to get a good comparison base, it's important to run YAAB with "Standard" YAAB settings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

Playing Arma3 ... of course, what else ? 

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I did not intend to suggest that a 1700 Ryzen is the best option for the single purpose of playing ArmA3.  I am apparently the only person here that does use the System for other things as well. Accept my appologies!

As I have posted elsewhere it's telling nothing about Arma3 CPU hierarchy and this CPU ranking

In order to get a good comparison base, it's important to run YAAB with "Standard" YAAB settings.

And we'll continue that part there....

On 10/20/2017 at 3:23 PM, Mahatma Gandhi said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I did not intend to suggest that a 1700 Ryzen is the best option for the single purpose of playing ArmA3.  I am apparently the only person here that does use the System for other things as well. Accept my appologies!

You can use the Intel system for "other stuff" as well and the i5 8600K is killing every AMD CPU in single threaded performance while offering 6 cores - which are plenty for gaming and other light stuff. Is not like Intel just shines in ArmA and is terrible in all other variables, quite the contrary. 

Basics
Unlike most of FPS style games, Arma3 is giving an absolute priority to CPU simulation jobs.This is related to the basic building principles of the Real Virtuality engine. With Arma3, in game performances depend directly on CPU efficiency and operating frequency*.
The role of the graphics card** has never been completely secondary,it has gained weight since the Visual Upgrade but, but the role of the processor remains totally dominant.

Consequences
Some of the so called "Video" parameters are NOT GPU related.
The General>Visibility>Overall parameter, is 100% CPU .
This parameter is setting up the CPU load.

All the "video" parameters included in the YAAB standard settings are more or less CPU related.

Using YAAB as a reference
One of our main concern as gamers is to know if Arma3 is going to be playable with the rig we have or the rig we intend to get.
As a community concerned Arma veteran player, I believe it's interesting to enlarge our knowledge about Arma3 real performances in game.
From my point of view, YAAB is a rather good candidate because this benchmark-mission is built as a real playable mission with all the assets (buildings, AIs, FX ...) contributing to load the CPU.
Playing YAAB with the ["S"-key) standard is important for comparison. It's setting a common reference.

Of course, on the higher Arma3 settings some AA & PP assets are fully related to GPU, that why it's important to quote those custom parameters when you post a YAAB result.

Notes :

* To have a better understanding, let's say that in game performances depend also on ...

- memory : CPU caches L1,L2,L3, L4  and RAM as well.

- HD .

** Even if from my point of view, in the past, BI has more or less underestimated the role of the graphics card for Arma3. I want to point out that before APEX, the "Minimum" requirement for GPU was still "NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or ATI Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000".

@Mahatma Gandhi, you are doing the Ryzen CPU a disservice, running YAAB in low preset, spending more time than most fiddling with RAM.

If an Intel fanboy reads this, you are only confirming their prejudices.

Hi all...

I'm trying to get a gaming PC for my lad for Xmas to play arma 3.  I don't know what I'm looking at but have found this PC 

https://www.dinopc.com/gaming-pcs/primal-gs7-gaming-pc

•Intel® Core™ i5 7400 processor
•Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU cooler
•8GB DDR4 2133mhz RAM
•NVIDIA™ GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti 4GB graphics card
•1TB hard drive
•Asus H110 motherboard
•Windows 10
•Corsair Carbide Spec-04 gaming case
•AeroCool 500W 80+ Bronze PSU
•Inbuilt Wi-Fi card
•5 year warranty

Would this work if I upgrade the processor to say and i5 7600k?

I could really do with some help and advice.

Thank you all for you help

M

Edited by M Congerton
add more text

I will  quote from one of my previous post ...

"With Arma3, in game performances depend directly on CPU efficiency and operating frequency*.

The role of the graphics card** has never been completely secondary,it has gained weight since the Visual Upgrade but, but the role of the processor remains totally dominant."

In order to play Arma3, the Intel i5 7400 processor is average but the i5 7600K is good.

An i5 7600K/GTX 1050 Ti is a nice base in order to get a nice Arma3 gaming experience.

The only missing item is a SSD [or as a minimum replacement, a SSHD].

On 10/25/2017 at 7:42 PM, oldbear said:

In order to play Arma3, the Intel i5 7400 processor is average but the i5 7600K is good.

Put K CPU on H110 motherboard????

@ Horus : why not ? If you do not intend to OC your PC, any Mobo featuring compatible 1151 socket can be used.

Sometimes K version having a higher turbo max speed are better for playing Arma3.

It's not always the case but here i5 7600K runs @ 3.80 GHz and Turbo @ 4.2 GHz and i5 7600 @ 3.50 GHz and Turbo @ 4.10 GHz.

So you can get an OCed CPU on an entry level Mobo, if you have budget in mind, it will do the trick.

From my point of view, the only adverse consequences are related to RAM frequency, an H110 Mobo will be limited to 2133 MHz DDR4.

I must agree that a  B250 allowing DDR4 2400MHz is of course a better option.

Of course a Z270 allowing  3000 MHz DDR4 (and up to 3866 MHz) is the best (and up to 3866 MHz) ... but have you get a look at the cost ?

@ Horus : why not ? If you do not intend to OC your PC, any Mobo featuring compatible 1151 socket can be used.

Sometimes K version having a higher turbo max speed are better for playing Arma3.

What you say is technically correct, but nobody would do that. It's madness.

OK, I am mad, but could you tell me why ?

I don' t see any technical constraint forbidding to do it.

My own indication will be to go for a platform with more options such as a B250 MoBo.

With Intel trying to get rid of Skylake CPU before "next gen" release, the i5 7600K is a bit devalued.

I already said, it's technically possible.

If you're spending good cash on a K CPU, buying an H110 motherboard wouldn't seem to be a sensible decision. There are plenty of other motherboards, at only a slightly higher price, that could exploit the features of the CPU better.

We already know that modern Arma benefits greatly from fast memory, which you can't use on an H110.

In my opinion, the H110 is only a sensible purchase when using the less feature rich, but higher clock speed CPUs. And that's exactly what I've done - my clan server uses an i3 at 3.7 on an H110 and it's never run out of puff.