Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

A solid motherboard is the base for future upgrades, like 32 or 64 GB of RAM or 3866 MHz+ RAM or CPU OC to squeeze everything out of it instead of changing to a newer platform, which implies new board, new CPU and maybe new RAM.

I have an ASUS VII Hero (Z97) with i7-4790K from spring 2014 running @ 5.0 GHz consuming ~190 Watt @ full load in stress test.

And power phases are just @ 60-65*C and no problems with 190 Watt.

i7-8700K has 2 cores more than i7-7700K and is capable of higher frequencies. It can consume well beyond 200 Watt @ 5.1-5.3 GHz, so a cheap motherboard isn't a solution.

I am in partial agreement with you, @Groove_C. Asus would currently be my recommendation. My Gigabyte Z97 has been an absolute trooper and the BIOS is lovely. Overclocking headroom is limited because the 4790K it houses is already in a pretty high state of tune. When I buy a 370 board this year, there's a better than evens chance it'll be an Asus.

As for power phases, we both know there is WAY more to the list of criteria we should be looking at when choosing a motherboard. Users don't seem to be reporting failures on the Gigabyte boards that might be related to board substrate or component heating, nor do they report CPU throttling. Admittedly, I've only had a quick look around - it's possible a deeper look might turn up some cases of these issues.

In other words, don't pin your motherboard choice on a rather esoteric property of motherboards which realistically, only effects the most ardent overclocker.

(edit for crosspost. It seems we have broadly similar systems. :) )

I will skip for sure Z370 boards as these come with rebranded/refurbished Z270 chips with no new features and boards with same ammount and some with even less power phases than Z270 boards for 4 cores.

Just some more CPU socket pins were connected as "power delivery pins" to deliver enough power for 2 more cores and USB 3.1 and other stuff is present only via additional chips allover the board.

Z390 boards will be the "true" boards with USB 3.1 with no additional chips and adequate power delivery for 8th and 9th generation CPUs.

Gunter Severloh told me to ask you guys for help. I know my specs should easily be able to run this game but I get 3-5 FPS in the main menu and in the game itself ofcourse.

I have 

CPU: Intel i5-7500
GPU:  EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB
RAM: Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 Mhz 2x8GB so 16GB of ram in total.
HDD: Toshiba 2TB
SSD:Crucial 300MX 275 GB

Hope you guys can help me, but I don't think so...

51 minutes ago, KingAlectheFirst said:

Gunter Severloh told me to ask you guys for help. I know my specs should easily be able to run this game but I get 3-5 FPS in the main menu and in the game itself ofcourse.

I have 

CPU: Intel i5-7500
GPU:  EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB
RAM: Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 Mhz 2x8GB so 16GB of ram in total.
HDD: Toshiba 2TB
SSD:Crucial 300MX 275 GB

Hope you guys can help me, but I don't think so...

ok that is wayyy wayy off. are you for certain that your gpu is running and not the onboard graphics . a driver issue.

8 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

ok that is wayyy wayy off. are you for certain that your gpu is running and not the onboard graphics . a driver issue.

Uhm, I don't think so. All my other games work perfectly fine. And if I did have this driver issue how do I fix it?

8 minutes ago, KingAlectheFirst said:

Uhm, I don't think so. All my other games work perfectly fine. And if I did have this driver issue how do I fix it?

ok all games except arma running fine. probably cancels driver issue. go to steam and check the game integrity.

are you starting arma using the launcher? if so try not . also put launcher parameters to default. i am going to assume this is vanilla arma and not some wanky collection of mods.

12 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

ok all games except arma running fine. probably cancels driver issue. 

if only this was true...

drivers can sometimes be stupid

21 minutes ago, KingAlectheFirst said:

And if I did have this driver issue how do I fix it?

i think, if it's actually a driver issues it should be similar to this one (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T121965) (DayZ SA)

so the things to test would be:

1. in Nvidia control panel, set the global setting to use high performance GPU.

if you get better fps now, revert it to what you had before

and

2. manually add the Arma3_x64.exe and set the GPU to the dedicated GPU

if 1. doesn't work you might still try 2.

in the case no one here can help you you should file a ticket in the feedback tracker. 

feedback.bistudio.com

No mods indeed, Vanilla Arma. Checked integrity didn't work. I  start arma 3 using the  launcher yes. I set parameters to default and it still doesn't work... I already have re installed the game countless of times but still nothing works. 

36 minutes ago, HaseDesTodes said:

if only this was true...

drivers can sometimes be stupid

i think, if it's actually a driver issues it should be similar to this one (https://feedback.bistudio.com/T121965) (DayZ SA)

so the things to test would be:

1. in Nvidia control panel, set the global setting to use high performance GPU.

if you get better fps now, revert it to what you had before

and

2. manually add the Arma3_x64.exe and set the GPU to the dedicated GPU

if 1. doesn't work you might still try 2.

in the case no one here can help you you should file a ticket in the feedback tracker. 

feedback.bistudio.com

Didn't work. I will make a support ticket then I guess. Thanks for the help both of you. Even though it didn't work you invested time to help me. Also updated my drivers, but it didn't help unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

@KingAlectheFirst Wait for @oldbear and or @Tankbuster to respond, theres a few guys here that should be able to tell you what your issue is, and what to do about it.

I'm flattered by your confidence in me :)

Nothing springs to mind to be honest, the system specs of the machine in question are well within what I'd say are top end for this game. One question, this is a desktop and not a laptop?

Welcome KingAlectheFirst !

We will try our best to help you.

Before doing anything on the game, you must go for a check list.

- What is the OS ?

- Are the 16 GB of RAM really available ?

Run HWInfo ->  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php 

Post a screen such as this one :

NyTs2RKh.jpg

From what you are saying I assume that Arma3 is the only game with such issue, right ?

Stop fiddling with your graphics card, with Arma 3 it's the processor that makes the FPS !

Please post also a screen from Arma 3 Video options such as this :

BMINNy9h.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

I'm flattered by your confidence in me :)

Nothing springs to mind to be honest, the system specs of the machine in question are well within what I'd say are top end for this game. One question, this is a desktop and not a laptop?

Desktop

19 hours ago, oldbear said:

Welcome KingAlectheFirst !

We will try our best to help you.

Before doing anything on the game, you must go for a check list.

- What is the OS ?

- Are the 16 GB of RAM really available ?

Run HWInfo ->  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php 

Post a screen such as this one :

NyTs2RKh.jpg

From what you are saying I assume that Arma3 is the only game with such issue, right ?

Stop fiddling with your graphics card, with Arma 3 it's the processor that makes the FPS !

Please post also a screen from Arma 3 Video options such as this :

BMINNy9h.jpg

Windows 10,  yes the 16 gb of RAM are available. Arma is the only game I have this problem with yes. and https://prnt.sc/i79uyg

And inside arma https://prnt.sc/i79wex

Two further questions;

The harddisks/ SSDs. How full are they?

In the game video options, have you tried letting the game autodetect settings?

I have the game installed on my HDD, it has 1,22 TB left so that should be more than enough

I tried autodetect and it puts everything on The highest settings. I just tried putting it on the lowest to see if the FPS would chang

Well, ...Steam Arma3 directory must be set on the SSD and you must NOT use "Low" setting if you have an average discrete GPU... but that not the point!

It seems that your hardware is OK and that something is wrong with the game.

So next steps ...

1° I assume you have a genuine full legit Steam game key bought on Steam or on the BIStore.

2° verify integrity of game files -> https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335&l=english

3° if it doesn't work, you will need to do a clean install [we will see how to, later, if needed]

I'm looking at getting a new laptop.

Will this one be able to run arma 3.

A6-9220...2.5ghz-2.9ghz

Amd radeon r4

4gb ram (upgradable)

1 hour ago, Crazyn1tw1t said:

I'm looking at getting a new laptop.

Will this one be able to run arma 3.

A6-9220...2.5ghz-2.9ghz

Amd radeon r4

4gb ram (upgradable)

No.

Unplayable :down:

The game will run on it but it will be unplayable, because even it can be run on "Standard", you will get 10/15FPS in game.

Inadequate CPU architecture.

Note : many laptops featuring  previous AMD APU such as the A6-9220 are offered at attractive prices.

Upcoming release of APU with the new architecture "Zen" will make these laptops unsaleable.

40 minutes ago, oldbear said:

Unplayable :down:

The game will run on it but it will be unplayable, because even it can be run on "Standard", you will get 10/15FPS in game.

Inadequate CPU architecture.

Note : many laptops featuring  previous AMD APU such as the A6-9220 are offered at attractive prices.

Upcoming release of APU with the new architecture "Zen" will make these laptops unsaleable.

What would you suggest I get then.

The only other one I could reasonably get would be one with a

A9-9410...2.9ghz-3.5ghz

21 minutes ago, Crazyn1tw1t said:

What would you suggest I get then.

The only other one I could reasonably get would be one with a

A9-9410...2.9ghz-3.5ghz

That's not much better. You should be thinking of doubling or tripling your current budget if you insist on playing on a laptop

46 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

That's not much better. You should be thinking of doubling or tripling your current budget if you insist on playing on a laptop

Not an option. As far as I'm aware I need to look at better cpus. I could use a pavilion.

Im just a bit confused as the laptop I mentioned originally had the correct specs and, with the right tweaking could be played at at least 25fps.

That's playable enough.

Feel free to correct me.

A modern i3 would be a much better option for you.

Well ...

In order to get a look at what were really the performances in game with Arma3 on an AMD APU, I have bought an AMD APU A8-9600 desktop CPU in October, last year.

You can get a look by yourself at the short review I have released on French CanardPC forums ...

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/116130-Jouer-à-Arma3-avec-un-AMD-APU-A8-9600-Rogue-Zero

... of course, the text is in French but it shows some pics and figures.

From my point of view, there is some difference between "running" the game and "playing" it.

Of course, with the said CPU, you can be in game, running it in the 15/25 FPS range in Standard settings.

Over 30 FPS, Arma3 is playable, under, the gaming experience is tedious and rather depressing .

Edited by oldbear
English is not my mother tongue