NightIntruder

[WIP] USMC UH-1Y MEDEVAC

BACKGROUND

The project have started when one of my friend from our community had told me about the coop mission he is about to make. It was mission of USMC that's supposed to start from LHD, with large aviation party. Since USMC doesn't have own MEDEVAC capability but in real they were discussing usage of Venoms in form of medical evacuation aircraft, I decided to make a prototype of, perhaps, future USMC MEDEVAC - UH1Y MEDEVAC.

This is my first, small project for A3. For this one I took BIS Venom sample from A2 as a base and started built upon it. It took me some time (almost 2 weeks) to get her into current stage doing it by myself. The addon's gonna be public and in accordance with BIS license. At the moment the goals to achieve are as follows:

- additional medical equipment (100%)

- retexturing and reconfig for MED version (100%)

- different custom engine sound sets for external and internal views (90%)

- aircraft's performance as much playable vs real as it gets (80%)

- 4 different positions + 2 cargo laying pos to choose from while boarding (100%)

- custom effects: fuselage vibration, rain effects, RL time of engines start-up, new lighting etc. (80%)

- crew chief position near rescue hoist (50%)

- rescue hoist working in MP (50%)

- slingLoad and PIP (50%)

- custom damage effects, fast roping (0%) - optional

AURhwyzSvXgdpZnG6

zjuwEPQeUFtup3yF9

ugpRnovYYqd5WbKw8

wBxa3xzstsavkJ8F7

VIDEO PREVIEW, standard FM in use

RAIN EFFECTS PREVIEW, AFM in use

CREDITS & THANKS:

BIS for ARMA-family games and Venom sample model and textures

OFrP DevTeam & IkaR for permission to use their hoist concept and scripts

CSJ&Gnat for engine vibration script

Gerrit Kranenbarg & Joe Binka for animated rain textures

Silderoy for a rain script

RHS Team for pushing me into the virtuous circle ;)

• Like 4

Could you add a Box to store items in caro?  And a Gun for self defence?  Would it be possible to acctually perform medic duties while flying?  Send down a Pararecue man by hoist?

Neat stuff I like to se .Just my 2cent.Thanks.

Could you add a Box to store items in caro?  And a Gun for self defence?  Would it be possible to acctually perform medic duties while flying?  Send down a Pararecue man by hoist?

The heli already has its own cargo compartment where you can store a lot of stuff. I cannot see a reason to have another magic box inside.

Medic duties can be performed inside a heli with ACE mod activated, if I remember correctly. However you wont see animations connected with those medical actions, I guess. 

Yes, the goal is to have working hoist able to lift/lower a player. It wont be AI-friendly tho, I work on it with MP coop missions in mind.

The Venom wouldn't legally be able to mount a gun as it is displaying the red cross.

Very cool NightIntruder.

Love the rain drop effects!

Medevac helos and vehicles have a soft spot with me :p I love the extra equipment and devices you added in the back. Love the little details like that :)

Below is 5min movie clip that shows logging operation.

I'm still not happy with how AFM works and although it bases partially on a real data, some figures were guessed and some hadn't tweaked from sample XML configuration.

Perhaps someone might know or have an access to the real aircraft's data so my questions are:

1) what are the figures of Venom's maxTorque, emergency Torque and maxClutchTorque - they should be in (Newton * meter) units

2) Was the RotorLib TurbineEngines addon implemented into Arma 3  ?

3) I found that addition of engines' maximumContinuousPower , takeOffPower and emergencyPower requires definition of CSComponent_2 along with a new variable for MainRotor/1A. What does it mean?

4) Could someone send me an RotorLib FDM evaluation installer? They haven't replied to my request sent a several days ago.

• Like 5

1) what are the figures of Venom's maxTorque, emergency Torque and maxClutchTorque - they should be in (Newton * meter) units

Please, disregard this one as I already have found the answer.

wow so nice stuff i like that :)

I'm happy you like it :)

Do you have any plans to cooperate with CUP and implement the AFM in their UH1Y? as well as the other features.

Thanks.

Well... this's my first A3 addon and isn't finished yet :) I have to finish it first then could think about any further implementation of its features. I do not limit my possible cooperation with anyone (except two or maybe three entities but CUP DevTeam isn't among them for sure).

I still tinker with AFM. The footage below predicts slingload, ground effect, ETL, VRS and autorotation. At this moment, I cannot do more without proper RTD documentation available. The addon should be considered as an alpha at the release date (soon).

Still not happy with how torque behaves in-game and wondering about maxTorque unit that is supposed to be N*m. As open source says max rated torque available for GE T700-401C is 372 lb/ft at 24000 rpm and max peak torque is 695 lb/ft at 1000 rpm. These translate into 504 Nm and 942 Nm respectively which seems to be not even enough to lift up an empty helicopter in the game. Torque values of similarly weighted helicopter (6000kG empty) are: maxTorque = 2983; emergency (torque limits) = 5370; maxClutchTorque = 5500;

At the moment, I simply interpolated the values for lighter helicopter that's Venom, but that's not how I'd like to things be in this addon.

Could someone shed some light on it, please? 

• Like 1

GREAT idea, great execution. One request I have is actually the same across vanilla based models- Would You please consider swapping Artificial Horizon display on MFD with Navigation Compass on pilot's side? 

maxresdefault.jpg

It is much easier and more intuitive to refer to AH that is situated directly in front of pilot. 

Thanks and congrats on what You've achieved so far!

Sure, swapping the MFDs cannot pose a problem whatsoever. Actually, I think about the new MFDs like the ones on the picture above but it isn't a top priority as opposed to working rescue hoist atm. BTW, below is the list of "to do" that I am going to keep you updated with:

• PRY1 animation state error to fix
  • PRY1 rescue belt not showing in game
  • PRY1 penetration materials to apply
  • PRY2 swapping MFDs
  • PRY2 switchable CrewChief position (RTM animation) at right door
  • PRY3 sound balance / tweaking
  • PRY3 switchable light in cargo compartment
  • OPT   new MFDs + annuciator warning lamps
  • OPT   visual damage system

Does someone know why the rescue belt is behaving like on the movie below ? The rescue belt was attached to the hook's memory point via attachTo command, using this piece of code ("mevuprzaz" is the rescue belt object; "this" is the helicopter, "pkt_hak" is the hook's memory point):

_belt2 = createVehicle [""mevuprzaz"", [0,0,0], [], 0, ""CAN_COLLIDE""]; 
_belt2 attachTo [this,[0,0,0.4],""pkt_hak""];

It seems to be like unwanted offset. Probably, I did something wrong with the code.

Great to see your thread here in "Arma 3: addons&mods". Cooperation would be cool I would prefer even with RHS ;)  !

(except two or maybe three entities but CUP DevTeam isn't among them for sure).

About who are you talking about?

And let me ask one more question, have you ever thought about making mod with polish mi-17 family (variety versions of <Mi-8, Mi-17, Mi-17-1W, Mi-17AE> for example without back doors and ready to deploy fast ropes)? 

About who are you talking about?

I've experienced a great cooperation with mod makers with really few exceptions. Those individuals would certainly know when ask me for something but it's doubtful they will do it anymore/at all.

And let me ask one more question, have you ever thought about making mod with polish mi-17 family (variety versions of <Mi-8, Mi-17, Mi-17-1W, Mi-17AE> for example without back doors and ready to deploy fast ropes)? 

Actually, yes I did but for polish community more important IMHO is to have "W-3 Sokol" and "SW-4 Puszczyk". Also Lennard made great Mi-17 SOF and I really hope he will port it to A3 eventually, as it would be great base of further modifications. And as far as priorities are concerned, one of the armaholics recently bought Seaknight model and requested me for redoing it, so I can step back and finish my old CH46 project as soon as the MEV was finished.

Still waiting for some hint/clues why the rescue belt animation doesn't move as it should. It cannot stop me from doing other addons (thankfully) but will delay release of this one.

Okay thanks for answering, also could you share pictures with us of these 2? I mean W-3 Sokół and SW-4 Puszczyk, even if these are early WIP ;)

Okay thanks for answering, also could you share pictures with us of these 2? I mean W-3 Sokół and SW-4 Puszczyk, even if these are early WIP ;)

i had never seen a W-3 Sokol until I read this-they are very cool! Kind of looks like the British Puma chopper,but more streamlined. Happy Christmas guys :D

I had his 3d models on my mind :D also mi-2 family is awesome and would be great to see these beauties in arma :). Merry xmas !

SW-4 Puszczyk is a liason/training light helicopter, currently under development program which's gonna make her an armed reconnaissance asset with autonomous flight capability (UAV).

ComsuP7jHRJAVSG6GeKPGxcSpVyBWbyMg3jfgMX-

W-3 Sokol - medium transport helicopter that have seen several modifications to include assault helicopter version among others.

0HXHPlsBr6DJdNYNtQYKu5HLT6OKt7jUCASveQ_P

I got both models thanks to courtesy of Project Reality DevTeam.

Personally, I don't like posting early WIP pictures since 12 addons out of 35 that I was working on had been abandoned and never released or handed over to any third party for different reasons.

Ineptahid - thanks man, the same to you and Happy New Year as well!

• Like 1