laxemann

DynaSound - A sound mod by LAxemann (Release)

Bla Bla Bla bla bla bla  :D

I Love you man (No Homo)

Keep up the great work.

Awww, the hotfix didnt fix the audio problem ;(

To easy a pain a bit, have a listen to the new RHS M4 sounds. Before I had different sound design approaches to RHS and DynaSound, now they will be pretty much the same on a design perspective:

• Like 11

A question a never thought I would ask: Does L_ES works with EDEN? Or EDEN implements the features in vanilla already? My guesses are "yes", and "no".

A question a never thought I would ask: Does L_ES works with EDEN? Or EDEN implements the features in vanilla already? My guesses are "yes", and "no".

No, Eden does not implement ES features and it should still work, however I wouldn't recommend using the current version. Horrible performance from back when I started scripting :D

Why didn't you ask this in the ES thread?

• Like 1

What is your design perspective? Realism? 

• A larger differentiation between calibres (By differences in volumes (duh), the amount of low end and general equalizing)
  • Weapons with the same calibre will almost be impossible to differentiate at larger distances
  • The actual "character" of a weapon is defined by it's mechanics, the further you go the more will each weapon just sound like an ordinary bang
  • Quicker, more precise transients
  • A bit more low-end in rifle distant samples
  • "Authenticity" - no hollywood-like noises
  • "Clear" soundscape - No additional echos or effects, especially for explosions

Some "general" stuff might be a bit hard to follow for people who are not really into audio editing. If you want to understand the following lines, please watch

first.

I'll try to put it simple:

The thing is that there is a clearly defined "maximum" in loudness which a digital sample can reach, everything above that will get distorted (at the parts it crosses this border). This mark is usually referred to as 0db. So you measure the loudness of a digital sound basically

from minus infinite up to 0db.

So far so good.

Now, there is a huge issue with weapon sound mods: Guns are loud. Like, really loud - let's say around 160db. A regular conversation is between 50 and 60db. Noone would play ArmA if the gunshots were as loud as real gunshots, obviously. You'd literally go deaf.

There are some technical restrictions as well, but I'll put them aside for now. The core aspect is that I have to balance the whole mod so that a footstep isn't as loud as a gun, however the gun shouldn't make you go deaf either. In digital sound, even -20db is already real quiet.

So, while in reality we have a difference of almost 100db between a conversation and a gun shot, you can say that I have an average range from let's say -15 up to 0db to work with, so 15db in total. In this area there should be a clear difference between footsteps, reloading sounds, pistol shots, rifle shots, sniper shots, grenades, shells, bombs... and with difference, I'm not just talking about volumes.

A sound consists of frequencies. How dominant we perceive a sound is up to many factors, mostly to the other sounds that are going on and what frequency range the sound emphasizes on. Example: We humans tend to react stronger to higher frequencies. So, even though an ArmA tank shot is a bit "louder" in volume, we might perceive a pistol shot as louder because it mainly consists of high frequencies. So, when working on DynaSound, I have to take this into account as well. If a distant gun shot has a tad too much low frequencies, it might drown out the bass area of a nearby gun.

Cheers

LAxe

• Like 6

This fucking hotfix ruined the punch of weapon shots completely. Now weapon shots have a vacuum effect (limiter or whatever) like before 1.56. It sounds like one channel inverted speakers (one channel +/-, the other -/+)

My soundrig: headphones, x-fi in cmss-3d mode

New m4 sounds are pretty good, seem to lack a bit of punch though :unsure:

Will it be required to use RHS and Dynasound together?

Will it be required to use RHS and Dynasound together?

Nope

What has this got to do with a soundmod changing the spotting rifle 9mm round to an explosive sound on impact? It sounds fine with no soundmod. And why are we talking about ace? Who mentioned ace? Did you read my question?

@LaxeMann,

Is this something you could alter on your MOD or is it something you would have to look at next time you are working on RHS again?

The RHS Smaw spotting round has no impact noise in vanilla sounds which is as intended. As soon as I use DynaSound it changes the impact of round to some explosive sound.

Thanks for your time.

What has this got to do with a soundmod changing the spotting rifle 9mm round to an explosive sound on impact? It sounds fine with no soundmod. And why are we talking about ace? Who mentioned ace? Did you read my question?

@LaxeMann,

Is this something you could alter on your MOD or is it something you would have to look at next time you are working on RHS again?

The RHS Smaw spotting round has no impact noise in vanilla sounds which is as intended. As soon as I use DynaSound it changes the impact of round to some explosive sound.

Thanks for your time.

Yes yes, it's because the old DynaSound used scripted distant explosion sounds. The spotting round most likely inherits from a grenade or so and therefore a sound is played. I should be able to fix this for the next RHS update. :)

• Like 1

Yes yes, it's because the old DynaSound used scripted distant explosion sounds. The spotting round most likely inherits from a grenade or so and therefore a sound is played. I should be able to fix this for the next RHS update. :)

Thanks, you are the man :)

Lax,

I understand that Youtube doesn't always encode sounds "correctly" from reality, so it's possible that's what I'm hearing, but figured I'd ask you...  Your first person sound on the RHS M4 video (both suppressed and non-suppressed) seems more mechanical and almost "clicky" (I know it's not clicky, but I'm having a hard time finding the right word) and seem to have lost a bit of the low-end boom/punch.  Please understand, I'm NOT complaining about volume, as it sounds good, but instead the frequency.

For comparison, the current (released) RHS suppressed M4 sound still has some "boom" to it, which makes sense because a suppressed 5.56 round is still really loud (since it's super-sonic).  But here's where I wasn't sure if YT was playing tricks on the video...  Your second, 3rd person video of the AI shooting the M4 sounded like it had a little more punch to it and sounded closer to that combination of mechanical movement of the action and the "boom" (within the confines of the game engine) of the round going off.

Just some feedback, so ignore as you see fit.  But since I've enjoyed the current suppressed M4 sounds on RHS that you did, figured I'd offer the comparison.

+1 to what gatordev said. I've got the same feeling...

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm currently still in the "design phase" (read here).

This means I'm still tweaking the amount of low end and treble in relation to explosions etc - the frequency balance might/will change a bit most likely :D

• Like 1

Great to hear.  Will be looking forward to your work.

Awww, the hotfix didnt fix the audio problem ;(

Hi lax, what mod are you using in your video? I like that effect when shooting, the edges of the screen goes blur...

Yo!

Today I've been able to fix an issue with my framework which prevented me from doing pretty much anything.

The new sound configuration enables quite some cool stuff, here is a random "feature" DynaSound 2.0 will have:

Gunshots fired from inside a building are heard not even half as far as if the gun was fired in the open. Now combine this with a silencer and snipers or people who prep. an ambush have an actual reason to fire out of a building. :)

This will be an RHS feature, too.

Edit:

• Like 13