scottb613

Helicopters departing a hot LZ...

Hi Folks,

While new - I'm starting to get the hang of editing missions... One issue I haven't been able to find a work around for is when my "transport" helicopters insert troops into a hot LZ - they refuse to depart the area and act as gun platforms for a considerable amount of time (many passes) after the drop... I don't want the Chinook pilots to act like Apache pilots even if they do have a mini gun on each side... The next waypoint has them ordered to cease firing - yet it seems once engaged - they stay engaged... I've tried using triggers to force them into a "Hold Fire" mode to go home but it doesn't seem to work... Is there any way I can override their unnatural desire to stay in the fight ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Maybe this helps:

_pilot allowFleeing 0;

So you disallow fleeing for them from the battlefield? Doesn't solve the prob., nor it's logical.

OP, try this: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVehicleAmmo

Removes ammo from all veh's turrets.

If this doesn't advance the take-off, unitCapture is the only way to do this efficiently.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated...

I looked at the link to "Capture Data" but I'm missing the big picture - what is capturing data on my chosen platform going to do for me ? What's the big picture action that is going tell my platform to egress the area of operation ?

Also - if I could throw in one more related question - I have the helos doing a nice low approach to the LZ - all looks great until the very movement they choose to flare for landing - they pop up several hundred feet into the air - greatly slowing the landing sequence and making a perfect target for the enemy... I've tried setting altitudes on the waypoints but they seem to ignore this... Is there any way they can make a hotter approach into the LZ ?

Reminds me - anyone read the account of the U.S. invasion of Granada ? I'm going from recollection - but - the pilots were so keyed up from being on a real combat mission 2 or 3 Blackhawks in a row crashed into their LZ from going way too fast on approach when they impacted the ground... The following ships thought the first one blew up due to enemy action adding even more pressure to go in fast... I'm sure there may have been some procedural changes after that due to the significant loss of life...

Again - thanks - I'll work on this some more when I get some time...

Regards,

Scott

Have you tried disableAI target and autoTarget? May stop them from hunting down enemies, may need to be applied to all the crew, pilots and door gunners.

Maybe even setCaptive them so they wont get shot at, which i believe is what initiates this behaviour of them ignoring their waypoint.

Simply place a trigger making the units safe or careless combat mode. And add never fire. This should force them to ignore the hail of gunfire and exit AO.

Although, having survived countless real world hot LZ's, they should atleast engage and defend their aircraft. But then again, better intel and mission planning should find an LZ free of direct fire ;)

Also - if I could throw in one more related question - I have the helos doing a nice low approach to the LZ - all looks great until the very movement they choose to flare for landing - they pop up several hundred feet into the air - greatly slowing the landing sequence and making a perfect target for the enemy... I've tried setting altitudes on the waypoints but they seem to ignore this... Is there any way they can make a hotter approach into the LZ ?

This can also easily be solved with BIS_fnc_unitCapture which allows you to record you own approach on the LZ.

• Like 1

A solution I use is :

Waypoint parameters : careless, never fire

Init of the helicopter : this disableAI "AUTOTARGET";

It works very well. The only problem is : the crew will not fire at all.

I think BIS_fnc_unitCapture can have some strange effects in multiplayer.

• Like 1

Making the helo civilian could also work. That way, they won't engange anyone and also won't be targeted by the enemy.

• Like 1

A solution I use is :

Waypoint parameters : careless, never fire

Init of the helicopter : this disableAI "AUTOTARGET";

It works very well. The only problem is : the crew will not fire at all.

I think BIS_fnc_unitCapture can have some strange effects in multiplayer.

Yes, careless is the key here. It's rubbish for infantry units, but great for when you want pilots to fly ignoring targets.

• Like 1

The following always works (as of last patch):

{

_x disableAI "AUTOTARGET";

_x disableAI "TARGET";

_x allowFleeing 0;

_x setCaptive false;

} forEach (units heliGroup);

allowFleeing 0 will force the helicopter to land at the LZ, no matter how severe the fire.  setCaptive can be used to turn off the enemy fire (true), or, to allow ground fire, set to false.  Note that it can be applied to the unit - that means each member of the crew will have the characteristics of the unit.

Good Luck,   RAS

​