First of all congratz with this awesome mod Haleks... This is by far the most emersive "end of the world" mod that i have played. 

But.... i think i`m missing something with the mission setup for dedicated. everytime i log back in i have to respawn and start from scratch. i have set up random respawns on the ocean sides of altis so it is dificult for me to see if the rest is persistend. Do i need a database on the server for this to work or should it work without? i have persistence on in the server.cfg.

I also wanted to ask if it is possible to have walkers at daylight and runners at night?

Thanks again for this absolute masterpiece!! keep up the great work and stay awesome!!!  :D  :D  :D

If someone knowledgable could add a rough guide for how to set up a MP Ravage mission properly, that would be really helpful.

If someone knowledgable could add a rough guide for how to set up a MP Ravage mission properly, that would be really helpful.

From a basic mission making standpoint, most of the changes were internal getting the modules to work in mp.

The default mission used to set it all up in the init and not via modules and I haven't looked to see if that's changed either so it's likely that won't work properly... Haleks is building a Coop template for next release.

For a basic mission you just need to use the existing modules as you previously did, add in a save module and select mp persistence on and sp save off...

Add some playable units and one unit as player and you should be off and ravaging... it will get more complicated as you add in more features like LIT but from that point on it generally just follows arma MP mission making in general...

• Like 1

From a basic mission making standpoint, most of the changes were internal getting the modules to work in mp.

The default mission used to set it all up in the init and not via modules and I haven't looked to see if that's changed either so it's likely that won't work properly... Haleks is building a Coop template for next release.

For a basic mission you just need to use the existing modules as you previously did, add in a save module and select mp persistence on and sp save off...

Add some playable units and one unit as player and you should be off and ravaging... it will get more complicated as you add in more features like LIT but from that point on it generally just follows arma MP mission making in general...

Yeah I got nervous when Mr. House (that jerk that wanted my chip from FONV I'd presume ;) ) mentioned having to adjust server.cfg and all that crap.

So if I'm understanding you correctly this is all handled by the modules and is standard fare for regular old offline mission making. Which is good to know! I make ALiVE missions all the time in the SP editor and never needed to do anything fancy playing them in MP. I'm happy to see that stays true here! :) Modules are my friend!!!

• Like 1

My bad... i reuploaded the old mission file to the server... i just uploaded the new file and do a little test. Another quick question does it stay persistend when the server restarts or when i even use the server to play a diffrent mission?

Cheers for the quick reaction btw..  :)

As far as the server.cfg goes HeroesandvillainsOS, it says in the instalation;

haleks, on 22 Jul 2015 - 18:22, said:

If you play a Multiplayer mission wich has character persistency enabled, your equipment, survival status and position will be saved and restored next time you join the same server.
All your saved characters can be previewed and/or deleted from the MP save manager (scenarios>Ravage).

adding "persistent=1;" to that should just do that. 

I just noticed the Fall out NV reference LOL... you are not the first haha but no it my name is not related to Robert House.

My bad... i reuploaded the old mission file to the server... i just uploaded the new file and do a little test. Another quick question does it stay persistend when the server restarts or when i even use the server to play a diffrent mission?

Cheers for the quick reaction btw.. :)

As far as the server.cfg goes HeroesandvillainsOS, it says in the instalation;

haleks, on 22 Jul 2015 - 18:22, said:

adding "persistent=1;" to that should just do that.

Oh...

So Persistence isn't an option in the modules? If it isn't, Haleks, could you add that if it's possible? I don't really feel like messing with my server.cfg because Ravage isn't the only MP mission I plan on playing.

I just noticed the Fall out NV reference LOL... you are not the first haha but no it my name is not related to Robert House.

I see....

So you're Dr. Gregory House then. Got it. :)

There may be a little confusion around persistence.

And Haleks will throw a can at me if I'm wrong ;)

But Ravage persistence is separate from server persistence at this time and does not require a database.

RAVAGE persistence is handled by the Save module. When mp persistence is set to on in the ravage save module it will save the current players position, load out, stance in one of the name spaces when you disconnect.

When u reconnect it will check if there is a file (profile) for that server and mission and reload those things so you should respawn in the location you left with the same gear.

Each profile can be viewed in the ravage save manager mission. You can delete profiles there. Each mission on each server will have its own profile. So you could have 3 different mission profiles on the same server because each profile is saved for server name and mission name allowing potentially many different characters.

Hope this helps clear that up

There may be a little confusion around persistence.

And Haleks will throw a can at me if I'm wrong ;)

But Ravage persistence is separate from server persistence at this time and does not require a database.

RAVAGE persistence is handled by the Save module. When mp persistence is set to on in the ravage save module it will save the current players position, load out, stance in one of the name spaces when you disconnect.

When u reconnect it will check if there is a file (profile) for that server and mission and reload those things so you should respawn in the location you left with the same gear.

Each profile can be viewed in the ravage save manager mission. You can delete profiles there. Each mission on each server will have its own profile. So you could have 3 different mission profiles on the same server because each profile is saved for server name and mission name allowing potentially many different characters.

Hope this helps clear that up

*throws a can*

Cosmic is right, except for the missions : the module will save one character per server, and that's it.

If the server you are connecting to runs a different mission (wich has the Save module enabled), your character will be reset. Same goes if a different map is detected.

Saves are tied to the player's profile, so they don't require any data base : you can achieve persistence (at least as far as the player is concerned) with only Ravage + CBA.

• Like 4

Just putting some gauze on my can wound...

Good to know. :)

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been asked already but are you thinking out implementing a building system? Not like Epoch or Exile but something as, you could block up already made house such as board the windows, doors etc and more features like that would be cool! Say you would have to cut down trees to get wood, and scavenge for metal, and materials? would add to the post apocalyptic theme! sorry if this has already been asked! 

I have a suggestion.

In one of my missions, I'm inserting with a team into a zombie hotzone via helicopter--smoke, crashed cars, civilians running scared, police getting overwhelmed by hordes. It's all very thrilling, except my helicopter crashes into the sea because it spawns severely damaged.

Can you add a vehicle damage-exemption module, so I can sync it with my helo and let it fly me to my destination? I think this could be a nifty feature for mission makers using ravage as a template. Another example is building a little base in the editor. Perhaps if there's already a survivor's fort, they have a repaired truck too.

Just a thought.

You can set "Vehicle damage" to OFF in the module : it will leave the editor placed vehicles intact.

Or you can add this in the init field of the chopper :

this setVariable ["rvg_owned", true];
  • Like 1

I think it has literally been asked every page since pg1 ;)

- base building

-trading system

-persistence

You would have to venture deep into the Haleks cave...

I'm sure they are on a drawing board somewhere lol

I think it has literally been asked every page since pg1 ;)

- base building

-trading system

-persistence

You would have to venture deep into the Haleks cave...

I'm sure they are on a drawing board somewhere lol

Yeah I think once building is released in this I would probably never leave my computer, even though most building stuff in this game arent exactly advanced its still really fun to build as big a base as you can while still getting random AI to spawn in and kill you while your building. LAWL!! Actually a question for Haleks is, is it possible right now or in the future to kind of make it like Epoch or something where if you die you respawn, so that way incase I am base building and I die instead of just reloading I can have a choice to respawn and run back to my body?  Either way it doesnt really matter but it would cool lol. Then it would feel like a much better mod than Epoch every did lol. I used to play that mod so much when I first started playing Arma 3 haha.

On a serious note, is it possible to use the ALIVE mod with Ravage to create my own randomly generated missions within Ravage? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23684#comments

I am asking cause that is something I would rreally love to have in this mod to add something extra to do while I am running around and killing random bandits. Then I can kind of customize the rewards to be slightly random, but like in Epoch they had different missions that would have different types of rewards in them. If this at all possible please let me know how I would go about doing that...

Im not sure Alive would play well with Ravage... it may... but i havent tested it.

-BBs site manager will assist in mission ambiance.

-somewhere in the bowels of this thread is a notation that Mind, the author of Eden composition plugin, provided Haleks with a random mission system.

I believe based on the last post I remember that this may make an appearance at some point.

-I know a few of the guys have tried edn fortifications with mixed results... mainly due to the menu not spawning after restart. 

I think the important thing to appreciate/consider is that this was an opportune time to build MP as it would be more difficult later with more complicated systems.

In time ...once Haleks gets some sleep... He and BB are madmen lol....  :cheers:

We will likely see more impressive features... try to be patient... i know it's hard tho...lol... I'm still really excited for feral dogs...

Oh I know its coming, and I believe in BB and Haleks very much so. This is by far one of the best mods I have ever played for Arma 3. I do not have the best rig, mainly because of my CPU, and i have played other mods or scenarios with less going on and  a hell of a lot less that was coded in or just added in general, and I have played some that use nothing but base Arma stuff, and yet this mod actually still runs better than any of them. I absolutely love this mod and everything about it. I love where it is headed and I love that it is still being worked on when you looked at all the other ones. So many are being dropped or just not really cared for. Even with that you can look at just the basic missions people make and realize how little ones are being made. In all honesty if I was rich I would give like a million dollars to this, sadly I dont even have a job anymore so I cant donate like I really really want too. I will probably do it when it stop freaking snowing outside lol, its freaking April and its been slowing all day, when it does stop I be helping my Uncle with some work around his house and he pays me and I know exactly where I am putting some of it. I think BI should be hiring people from here, thats all I can say.

Anyways since I got really far off track, I greatly appreciate everything that Haleks and BB has put into this. Its amazing and everyone else that has helped with it. I wish I could help contribute since this is exactly what I going to college for lol but I havent gotten to those classes yet so I have no idea what I am doing lol.

Unless you want base building because you actually want to build a base​ (in which case, why are you playing Ravage, or even Arma? :P), what you want in a base is safety, storage and respawn.

Some alternatives to base building:

Capturing camps. Capturable camps could both be placed manually and spawned procedurally in specific circumstances. A camp is kinda like an objective: If you clear it, the camp no longer spawns AI (and becomes persistent). If you are not in the area for days, chances are that the camp will be overtaken by other survivors. Camps have crates for storage and you can respawn there. Camps also provide safety by lockable doors:

Lockable doors. I'm thinking that there should be a script (not necessarily tied to Ravage) which enables doors to be both locked with keys and picked with the right tools, and also, importantly, semi-randomly locks doors in towns. For Ravage, randomly locked doors adds an additional uncertainty factor when trying to take cover in buildings: They might be locked! As a substitute for base building, with the right tools you can change the lock on any door to one which you have a key for. These tools are of course rare (with the same intention that base building requires a lot of materials). I also think there should be a way to temporarily barricade doors (maybe requiring your character to stand still close to the door?).

Garrison. If lockable doors are implemented well, any building could potentially become a hideout. To substitute for base building, what's missing is just placeable crates.

• Like 3

I would be perfectly fine with that idea, I enjoy base building because I don't build the same base twice. If base building with something that was in Epoch was implemented here I would find it fun because everytime I built my base and I got bored of it, I could just restart from scratch and have that rush of trying to get all the stuff I need and dealing with bandits(possibly missions.) That kind of thing, it adds to the emphasis of having to survive because of what is going on.

Although your idea sounds a lot better in a sense of immersion.  I would definitely enjoy what you suggested. What would make that cooler is that instead of it re spawning, as you suggested it could be taken over by bandits, like maybe the roaming bandits could walk in and just start chilling. Then when I decide to go back after a few days and I am full on loot I could walk in and get killed because I wasn't expecting them to be there. 10/10 would get killed again! =)

On a serious note, is it possible to use the ALIVE mod with Ravage to create my own randomly generated missions within Ravage? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23684#comments

I am asking cause that is something I would rreally love to have in this mod to add something extra to do while I am running around and killing random bandits. Then I can kind of customize the rewards to be slightly random, but like in Epoch they had different missions that would have different types of rewards in them. If this at all possible please let me know how I would go about doing that...

Ravage is not ALiVE-ready : at the moment you can't use their system to spawn & virtualize bandits or zombies.

That being said, Ravage and Alive can work together if you mind what you're doing. In fact I have several missions somewhere on my HDD wich use both mods : I usually use Alive to spawn military camps and/or civilians, and Ravage modules to spawn zombies and derelict vehicles etc... It is perfect for scenarios taking place during the outbreak, MP-compatible and quite solid when it comes to performances (as long as you go easy on the numbers).

The one thing to keep in mind when experimenting with other population methods, is that Arma has limitations regarding side relations : INDEP bandits and AAF will always be "friendly", for instance.

On topic : here's a quick list of things that are being worked on for the next update :

Tweaked :

Players loading a MP save can be identified with the "mp_saveLoaded" variable.*

Zombies can now chase & attack occupied land vehicles & helicopters.

Tweaked weapon spawn for the intro of the SP demo mission.

Fixed :

Fixed calculation of max zombies per player.

Fixed a potential issue with zed spawn distances.

Zombies were not running towards gunshots.

New :

Added tutorial hint to MP Saves Manager scenario.

Added support for CUP units.

I might have a basic COOP mission ready in a few days as well (plus some other things)...

EDIT :

CUP units FTW :

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

...Those CUP guys made actual jackets. :wub:

• Like 6

Hi Haleks! I want to talk about the updates. And perhaps I'll start with the zombies. Firstly what I did not like is the fact that they are now very complex. It is in numbers, strength and speed. 1. Them. A lot of them! Very! 1 shot and a Horde is running at you, and they manage to catch up with you and Charter you don't even have time to escape. 2. Power. Their attacks are instant, they run up against and beat! I barely have time to kill! A lot of them! And each one blows 10 health! 3. Speed. Here you're running through the woods, then BAM, zombies. You have a lot of useful things. And start to run away so to speak. But! Are you tired! And it's not! What to do? We have for example no cartridge (Hands we beat can't, or at least a knife), and a zombie hits us, and not behind! This is very bad... Their number, their speed, strength... can You at least speed them lower? Well, just not possible! Sitting in the bushes they notice and then... Well, I really liked the beginning, the truck, the pile of the dead, and the driver with a gun and a map) It's cool! But the food and were very expensive... And the dust that was in the previous version was more atmospheric... I generally love the project! Very! But sometimes sometimes a lot annoying! As these zombies and... Zombies) Haleks, do not throw the project, do zarabatyval! Is DayZ only for Arma 3 and much better! But I wish the loot change, remove the boxes and instead put them as loot in DayZ original. And I say... good Luck! Do zarabatyval, and someday you will do it all!  :) 

Haleks - Noticed something you might want to take a look at. Concerning multiplayer, your zed and loot spawning functions might not be checking to see if certain buildings (I am assuming those are used as spawn anchors for zed) have already produced spawn of either loot or zed. In playing Cosmic's mission last night with a buddy, I noticed double spawn in most of the buildings we were in. If it's not already written this way, when you could do time-based variable swaps on these buildings, something that will flag it for having either produced loot-pile spawns OR having been checked. Ideally, even though these routines I suspect are running on every client's machine, a building needs to be flagged if it can produce loot and spawn zeds once, within a period of time if desired, and that's it. 

B

Hi Haleks! I want to talk about the updates. And perhaps I'll start with the zombies. Firstly what I did not like is the fact that they are now very complex. It is in numbers, strength and speed. 1. Them. A lot of them! Very! 1 shot and a Horde is running at you, and they manage to catch up with you and Charter you don't even have time to escape. 2. Power. Their attacks are instant, they run up against and beat! I barely have time to kill! A lot of them! And each one blows 10 health! 3. Speed. Here you're running through the woods, then BAM, zombies. You have a lot of useful things. And start to run away so to speak. But! Are you tired! And it's not! What to do? We have for example no cartridge (Hands we beat can't, or at least a knife), and a zombie hits us, and not behind! This is very bad... Their number, their speed, strength... can You at least speed them lower? Well, just not possible! Sitting in the bushes they notice and then... Well, I really liked the beginning, the truck, the pile of the dead, and the driver with a gun and a map) It's cool! But the food and were very expensive... And the dust that was in the previous version was more atmospheric... I generally love the project! Very! But sometimes sometimes a lot annoying! As these zombies and... Zombies) Haleks, do not throw the project, do zarabatyval! Is DayZ only for Arma 3 and much better! But I wish the loot change, remove the boxes and instead put them as loot in DayZ original. And I say... good Luck! Do zarabatyval, and someday you will do it all!  :)[/size] [/size]

Sounds exactly like a zombie apocalypse to me :) It ain't supposed to be easy. I actually want zombies to be able to take more damage like Ryan zombies were u need head shots.

Ravage is not ALiVE-ready : at the moment you can't use their system to spawn & virtualize bandits or zombies.

That being said, Ravage and Alive can work together if you mind what you're doing. In fact I have several missions somewhere on my HDD wich use both mods : I usually use Alive to spawn military camps and/or civilians, and Ravage modules to spawn zombies and derelict vehicles etc... It is perfect for scenarios taking place during the outbreak, MP-compatible and quite solid when it comes to performances (as long as you go easy on the numbers).

The one thing to keep in mind when experimenting with other population methods, is that Arma has limitations regarding side relations : INDEP bandits and AAF will always be "friendly", for instance.

On topic : here's a quick list of things that are being worked on for the next update :

I might have a basic COOP mission ready in a few days as well (plus some other things)...

EDIT :

CUP units FTW :

...Those CUP guys made actual jackets. :wub:

So we can run cup weapons and units instead of RHS :) sweet. Can't wait. Cup vehicles "cough cough"!!

Sounds exactly like a zombie apocalypse to me :) It ain't supposed to be easy. I actually want zombies to be able to take more damage like Ryan zombies were u need head shots.

yes. only the strong or smart or adaptive survive. that's how it's suppoesed to be.

that being said. i think it sounds a little like -Reni- missed the zombie settings in the module. you can easily make them all walkers and control their numbers.

At the moment it appears that recruited survivors will just stay in your squad indefinitely. I'm not sure if this makes it difficult to go on lone-wolf missions or only taking certain survivors with you on patrols/raids etc but I thought it would be useful if you could somehow dismiss certain members so that they stay in an area or are put into high command.

You can already tell individual units to stop - they will remain in that area and not follow you. Select units with the F keys (F2 for the first unit, F3 for the second and so on) and then tell them to 'stop' on the mousewheel/action menu. You can also group them into teams.

yes. only the strong or smart or adaptive survive. that's how it's suppoesed to be.

that being said. i think it sounds a little like -Reni- missed the zombie settings in the module. you can easily make them all walkers and control their numbers.

Its hard to do use the editor when you dont have a template.....