cifordayzserver

SMD Sahrani A3 - Bohemia's Sahrani Terrain as ported by SMD

Many thanks. I think (and I have seen it too often in ArmA 3), the sun shines too bright on buildings. They almost go white.

BTW, I just observed a weird behaviour: with weapon down it's not that bright (on dev branch). ?!?

2014-11-25_000014nkaa.jpg 2014-11-25_00002f1jm8.jpg

I also think the military area buildings could partially replaced with ArmA 3 military buildings but probably that´s just my opinion. I would understand it when you would say that you don´t want to switch to the A3 structures. Just thought that there are many structures looking nearly the same in Arma 3 just with more detail and better textures.

I'm going to look into it for sure, although the hope is that sharing/working with CUP might result in retextured versions of the A1 buildings.

Many thanks. I think (and I have seen it too often in ArmA 3), the sun shines too bright on buildings. They almost go white.

BTW, I just observed a weird behaviour: with weapon down it's not that bright (on dev branch). ?!?

http://abload.de/thumb/2014-11-25_000014nkaa.jpg http://abload.de/thumb/2014-11-25_00002f1jm8.jpg

Yeah, that's bright alright, the ground is also pretty bright, I'm going to try to do a lot of work on lighting settings, hopefully fabiano sanchez can give me some pointers.

I got the new ground textures for the oceans working!!

mHU0X1jl.jpg

Very excited for that. Although I was hoping for all the big coral structures, but I guess those are objects that need to be placed in TB. This is a VERY initial attempt... it's going to need a lot of blending/improvement, but I want to adjust the heightmap as well so that the oceans are a bit more interesting to explore. Then redo the ground texture blends in the ocean, then add the coral structures.

Played on this map this evening. It's absolutely brilliant. Loved the variations in the urban areas, lots of enter-able different buildings I'd never seen before.... one of the best maps I've encountered.

Thanks

Hi, great job , the map is just beautiful ! We notice that the vehicles driving in the grass have a big slow down, would it be possible to fix this in the next update ? Thx

Yeah, I plan on tweaking the surface settings a lot, they're not where I want them to be now.

I've been away so I haven't done anything since my initial addition of the seabed texture. I am going to work on adjusting the height map so the ocean is a LOT more interesting, and then do a better job of blending the seabed textures, then add some coral reefs.

I'm debating on whether or not to "dredge" the two inlets to Corazol or not.

I'm debating on whether or not to "dredge" the two inlets to Corazol or not.

Do it!!

Thrilled your gonna be giving the seafloor a makeover :)

Please don't do it until the AI can use the bridges.

Well well well.... I thought I better check it to be sure and I just had an AI vehicle to drive over the bridges in Corazol :) Dig away!!

I suggest to only change the eastern part where the ruins are. The bridge to the west looks much more like a rural decision and the street with all the houses is very nice. The bridge to the east is an obvious choke point into the eastern part. With water under it will be reinforced as the border.

This is what I propose:

http://i.imgur.com/sRVENhi.jpg (189 kB)

Bridges working with AI:

Corazol east - grid 133088

Corazol west - grid 130088

Pesadas - grid 117154

Isla de Victoria - grid 114166

Dolores south - grid 114059

Bridges NOT working with AI:

Obregan - grid 142105

Corazol north west - grid 126089

Tiberia - grid 101052

Iguana - grid 107047

Dolores west - grid 113061

Dolores east - grid 116062

Edited by andersson

Please don't do it until the AI can use the bridges.

Well well well.... I thought I better check it to be sure and I just had an AI vehicle to drive over the bridges in Corazol :) Dig away!!

I suggest to only change the eastern part where the ruins are. The bridge to the west looks much more like a rural decision and the street with all the houses is very nice. The bridge to the east is an obvious choke point into the eastern part. With water under it will be reinforced as the border.

This is what I propose:

http://i.imgur.com/sRVENhi.jpg (189 kB)

Bridges working with AI:

Corazol east - grid 133088

Corazol west - grid 130088

Pesadas - grid 117154

Isla de Victoria - grid 114166

Dolores south - grid 114059

Bridges NOT working with AI:

Obregan - grid 142105

Corazol north west - grid 126089

Tiberia - grid 101052

Iguana - grid 107047

Dolores west - grid 113061

Dolores east - grid 116062

Wow! Thanks for the list!, I'll see what I can do with the bridges.

Interesting plan for Corazol, I'll take a look around a bit and see what I think.

My career is in Dry Cargo Shipping, so I'll be looking at it from a logistics angle, right now I'm struggling to see the sense it... although it would be cool for sure.

I'm not 100% sure about it either. Can break missions. People can be upset changing a well established map like that.

But at the same time it kind of looks like it could be that way, I have always thought about it when walking past there. One RL reason could be for smaller boats so they don't have to go all the way around. For bigger ships it makes no sense. And as the border is very obvious there I wouldn't be surprised if east should have dug it out as defense.

Anyways it's probably too deep to dig so it will end up strange looking..

Edited by andersson

Hey guys, I hope it's ok to post this question here because while I am l going to try setting up a server to run this, my question is also more of a general A3 server question.

Anyway, I've run servers for Dayz (I am running 2 right now) so I am familiar with the A2 server way of doing things. I am currently uploading the @SMD_A3 folder to my A3 server. When I am done, from what I understand I just add it to my server's command line, but I also have to add @AllInArma to it as well, yes?

Most of my experience with A3 has been on Wasteland servers. If anyone has tips or links that would help me create a Wasteland mission for this map, please let me know.

I believe you may want to use All In Arma Terrain pack with the SMD sahrani, but I guess all in arma would work as well.

Anyways, loading mods stuff should be the same as a2... and yeah you want to either add that Allinarma or all in arma terrain pack, I do believe with a3 you dont have to use @ for the modfolders now, but people still do it and you may want to.

You never had to use @, it came to life in OFP just to keep the modfolders at the top of the installation.

I believe you may want to use All In Arma Terrain pack with the SMD sahrani, but I guess all in arma would work as well.

Anyways, loading mods stuff should be the same as a2... and yeah you want to either add that Allinarma or all in arma terrain pack, I do believe with a3 you dont have to use @ for the modfolders now, but people still do it and you may want to.

Ah ok. I didn't realize there was a difference between AllInArma and AllInArma Terrain pack.

I believe you can use AllInArma for the same "effective" purpose since it has the maps too, but all in arma terrain pack are the maps in a standalone dedicated fashion, im not sure if SMD sahrani may use some files or data specifically from all in arma TP tho... because all in arma tp had some extra implementations of smd stuff (or at least was planned to) ... so it may make a difference.

Cifordayzserver can tell you the right answer to this though, I am not sure.

Also, @andersson

Thanks, since OFP i always thought it was a requirement...(I thought they made it different in arma 3 for some reason) hmm, armaholic how to install mods sticky accidental brainwashing I guess :D

(be patient with my sucky english:D)

Hello all folks,

first of all congratulations for this awesome mod, really really cool:o

Now have a issue: like BetterDeadthanZed im trying to setting up a server to do some missions with my friends with SMD+AiATp, its all ok but when im going to spawn appears this error: SMD worldw cfg and server kick me out:butbut: anyone know why?

Big thanks to anyone who wants to help me

I really like how you have improved the map. I just hope you'll be able to remove the AiA requirement in the future to make it standalone :)

Why ?

It would be enormous if he did and would mean people having to have multiple copies of the same resources. i.e. trees, houses, scenary etc.

That's the beauty of the AiA_tp pack as a fully supported resource... No need to have every object stored within each map... ?

Agreed with serjames : why would we want to fill our HD with duplicated resources?

That's the beauty of the AiA_tp pack as a fully supported resource... No need to have every object stored within each map... ?
Agreed with serjames : why would we want to fill our HD with duplicated resources?

To prevent numerous bugs that the AiA pack have like the impossibility of add certain A3 objects ( for instance flags ). Also to not make people download a giant pack and keep track of all the updates.

Besides that this map uses a lot of none-A2 buildings, Milkman's ones instead of AiA A2 ones.

To prevent numerous bugs that the AiA pack have like the impossibility of add certain A3 objects ( for instance flags ). Also to not make people download a giant pack and keep track of all the updates.

Besides that this map uses a lot of none-A2 buildings, Milkman's ones instead of AiA A2 ones.

Well, we actually share all our source with CUP and AiA, so, the SMD and Jbad Buildings are being integrated into all terrains. I will most likely make a standalone package, and a light package as was the case with A2 eventually, but for now, I'd prefer to focus on the actual terrain changes. Though the reopening of submissions for MANW gives me a good excuse to focus on the buildings and objects.

Kinda bouncing around as usual, played with the lighting and ground reflectiveness, and the ocean... those seems to be pretty good now, still need some attention.

Working:

Tides

Waves (kinda, I still think I'd still like to play with it more)

Landing Lights

Runway Lights

Street Lights

I changed around some of the dependencies and got A3 runway lights, and I THINK street lights working as a result, although it's very preliminary, the lighthouses for example do not work. I also worked on getting the buildings set to A3 standards, but I still have quite a bit of work to do.

Found some bad spots in my new seabed blend, so that's got to be redone again (it needed it anyway).

I got the units Pliskin did packed and config'd a little better, however they still need normals rvmats etc done for them.

Lastly, I've come up with a few interesting ideas that I have to test out, but should work well, and add some fun/interesting features to the terrain. Teaser... think FarmA.

I'm hoping to find some time/focus to play with editing the heightmap, but want to focus on the objects for the next few weeks.

In other news, I'm finally headed back to work, so I'll likely be slowing down a LOT in my activity... although it will allow me to invest in some better tools for the project... I've wanted to pick up some materials editing/creating tools for a while so I'll prob do that in a couple months.

I'm going to keep tinkering with stuff and see if I can come up with an improved enough package for an update, or, alternatively I might just put one out with the lighting/sea fixes.. we'll see.

Feel free to chime in with any priorities.

Farma... nice :)

You should throw a few patches of a2 weed plants in the map somewhere lol

Good to hear you did something with those lamps, i noticed only some worked.

Also, excuse me for ignorance, but I thought SMD had more types of enterable buildings?( like some of those apartment ones) are they not all worked in or something, or am I totally just wrong and not remembering right?

All the SMD buildings are there as normal, however they only function due to the presence of AiA_TP.

I'm in the process of configuring them properly for standalone use in A3, and then I have to edit all the models to add a physx lod. I have started the work, and even completed whole portions of it a few times already. At one point, I added physx lods to everything for Arma 3, however that was before I optimized the models... So I have to re-do that again. I have (or had, it might have gotten deleted at one point) a working template of the building configs, and I can always look at Jbad stuff as well.

I guess I should lay this out on the first post somewhere, but to put it simply as possible. SMD_Sahrani_A3, is just the SMD_Sahrani_A2_Lite package edited VERY slightly. The main goal was just to get rid of the texture tiling issue that people got when running it in A3, and to remove the gas station error. I ended up with:

v0.1 22 Nov 2014

- Fixed - Sat Image tiling issue

- Fixed - Gas Station refueling removed (A3 Issue Only)

- Added - Map Preview Picture

- Added - Author info

- Added - A3 Ambient Life

- Added - A3 Fog

- Added - A3 Lighting

- Added - A3 Seas

- Added - A3 SCUBA

- Added - A3 Surfaces (vehicles are slowed offroad, footsteps make the correct noises on ground surfaces)

- Added - A3 Weather

- Added - SMD Units - RACS, Black Ops, Tiger Camo, and Atacs Sniper (need materials/rvmat)

- Added - SMD Vehicle - MH9 in "Magnum PI" Retexture (needs materials/rvmat)

KNOWN BUGS:

Buildings

- Dark Interior in one of the smd_dum_istan_olez_open buildings

- Rubble showing in smd_dum_istan_olez2_open_dam

- Script Error when smd_benzina_schnell is destroyed

Units

- Atacs has glitched rainbow effect in portions

Terrain

- Roads make no noise under foot

- Dust does not appear to be working

+++++++++++++++

I've already gotten some minor improvements done, as mentioned above, however I want to get all the buildings fully configured for A3 use and get the physx lods, both so they will function better, and so that I can toss them in with our submission the the MANW contest.

All going well, I should be able to finish the config in a day or two of steady work, then the physx lods could take a few more hours, to a full day. Then I may also do the misc objects, OR I will do the retextured versions of the Jbad buildings that are used in A1/A2. M1lkm8n only did the OA versions, so for the:

firehouse

military house

control tower

market

and a few more, that have at least 1 other variant that I can quickly make by repathing the textures to the A2 versions instead of the OA ones.