takus

Legal violations by A3L: Arma 3 life

Tonic,

Thanks and do understand your point. I am working to get off of being on Altis Life onto our own framework that isn't based on any framework of your own coding whatsoever. As to the others requesting their mod items removed - will deal with them individually.

That is very good news to hear at long last

I would appreciate if you guys don't use extDB in your rewrite.

It is currently GPLv3 so you are free to use the extension or fork it all you want.

But i am already considering rewriting parts of it + possible license change in the future.

Something i really would like to avoid, but at the same time the actions of A3L is something i can't stand for.

Good luck with the rewrite

Hi Deltagamer,

I will ask our modelling team where they came from this evening when I get home but from my understanding they have been using vehicles and editing/importing their own versions of original items.

The Bus is the model from Crysis 2. The model was likely semi fiction. Also the texture is a dead giveaway. Only with a lot of hard work could someone replicate that texture to wrap exactly the same way round their model. It's a rip %100.

There are community's with libarys of illegal RIPs, like the forza one, likely where they got them.

So this: http://i.imgur.com/Jsy2gyg.png is how BI decided to handle the situation? Wow. So basically, if your work is stolen (even if by immature little children) then it is your duty to resolve this between yourselves? And if the accused party decides not to comply with your wishes, then tough luck. In the end, this only opens content theft to anyone that has no concern over the thoughts of others, morality, or how their reputation may be affected. So what exactly is the point in releasing addons/mods with attached licenses...if none of those licenses really has any meaning (or consequences if broken)? Obviously, there might be a ban on these forums, and maybe some people disliking you...but what does that really amount to? A slap on the wrist (if that)? It's okay, Bohemia, leave your community to deal with the problem as you always have.

And as far as Mike Baxter coming to defend the A3L team in a 'respectable' way. Nothing more than a misinformed PR that has no clue (or so he says) over what is really going on in the team that he is a part of. I find it pretty unlikely that a member such as him (which in the beginning of this whole ordeal, served as A3L's defense) is totally unaware of the corrupt nature of his fellow members. I feel his only goal for resurfacing in this thread (now that they have received assurance from BI) is to slow down the communities efforts in stopping them, and to try and make content developers feel a bit hopeful that their content may actually be removed...one day. This is total nonsense. He has no power in A3L, as he has clearly mentioned, so none of these requests will be met...as the one truly in charge, is Caiden...and we all know how that goes. I find it funny how he mentions the part about adding new staff, and how this probably won't happen because of trolls and people stealing 'THEIR' content. Once again, you are misinformed, MBaxter...the content within A3L is not yours or theirs, it belongs to the actual creators of that content. So, I think what you meant to say is 'people stealing someone elses work that we stole for ourselves'. And finally, you had said something about using content and how it didn't break any licenses...please look up those licenses and clearly read everything stated within, as I think the way you all are using this content falls under the No-Derivs part...you are re-releasing content after modifying/editing it.

Don't come here to try and BS us, everyone is fully aware of what the A3L team is involved in...as do you. On that note, who really thinks this guy is relaying any of this information to his team apart from, 'they want us to remove their content, and I told them we would....*cue endless laughter*'?

so i have looked up some things arma3life is registerd at http://www.networksolutions.com and they have an policy http://www.networksolutions.com/legal/aup.jsp that says:

"Users may not:"

"b. Utilize the Services in connection with any illegal activity or any activity that would otherwise violate any applicable regulations, rules or laws. Without limiting the general application of this rule, Users may not:

utilize the Services to copy material from third parties (including text, graphics, music, videos or other copyrightable material) without proper authorization;

utilize the Services to misappropriate or infringe the patents, copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any third party;

utilize the Services in any manner that violates any applicable regulation, rule or law."

and if we can prove somethig above realy clear we may be able to take down the website. I totaly hope that this wouldn't be necessary but if they want to destroy this comunity i see no other way than go on in this direction. So if in 3 days there are still things been found on that webside that are against the policy i see my self enforced to take atcion.

So this: http://i.imgur.com/Jsy2gyg.png is how BI decided to handle the situation? Wow. So basically, if your work is stolen (even if by immature little children) then it is your duty to resolve this between yourselves? And if the accused party decides not to comply with your wishes, then tough luck.

If I stole a pen from you, would you complain at the store you bought it from? Would you tell the store to do something about it? How about the factory it was made in? I didn't think so.

I'm sorry but, no developer with half a brain would dare get legally involved in these kinds of disputes. If you have a problem with your work being stolen, you are responsible for taking action. Why would you need BIS on your side when you have the law on your side? You can take action. How would it help if BIS was involved? They didn't create the content or steal it. There are 2 parties involved here, and they are not one of them. BIS would simply be risking legal trouble by attempting to get involved in what is absolutely a legal issue. Like I said, no developer with basic legal sense would attempt to get involved in a legal situation between players.

My apologies, you make a valid point. My comment toward BI was poorly worded, and should have been directed more towards the breach in their EULA and how it was handled.

I'm fucking done. I want to smash the fuck out of A3L's brains every time I see a streamer streaming A3L. Not out of jealousy but anger.

@ArmaPilot By the way things are looking there will be no future changes in what A3L are doing. They clearly don't care about respecting the wishes of modders in this community.

Edited by deltagamer

Maybe using HiddenSelections and making it invisible. Other wise no, you would have to crack it open.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but did they now just steal Tactical Battlefield's UI thingy;

A3L Video:

TacBF:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but did they now just steal Tactical Battlefield's UI thingy;

A3L Video:

TacBF:

Might wanna look at the date that video was posted lol.

Why, the TacBF was published on 4th January 2014 and the A3L video was published on 1st July 2014, so the TacBF came out before...

44 pages of arguing and still there is no kind of resolution to this happening any time soon it seems. This is really, really upsetting that a community I once worked has been doing this even when I worked with them. I had no idea about anything of these legal violations during all of that time. Lies after lies. This is really just sad.

I dunno but that crane at the last second looks very familiar....

Nice job on the video. Thank you for your efforts. It's very welcoming to see so many people that do care about author right.

Something I've been wanting to talk about for a while is Caiden and how he apparently doxed someone who was quite young. Now there was a post about this earlier on this thread that had information including pictures which I believe got deleted in all the arguing and off-topic posts that were made. Doxing itself is not illegal however due to Caidens doxing this has led to personal attacks and out right harassment against the person who was doxed. Now there is no way (or easy way) in getting so much information about an individual through their IP address, so you might ask how he got it? Well apparently the doxed user was a member of his website and even had a user account. Now if that is true then that could mean that Caiden could have used his administrator rights to access personal information and share it without the persons knowledge or permission. Therefore breaking the Data Protection Act of 1998 that was passed by the UK Parliament to match the standards of the EU data protection directive of 1995. Now the EU and UK laws can be a little different but do have a similar structure. From that deleted post it was mentioned that the person receiving the dox attack was in the EU and I believe it was mentioned Caiden was from the US, I'm a little unfamiliar how their Data Protection Directive works in the US however I know it was derived from the EU one making it a little similar to the UK one. If it is found that Caiden broke the Data Protection Act then he is liable (in the UK at least) to face penalties from the Information Commissioner's Office and face fines up to £100,000 or more.

If anyone one wants to add to this or correct it in anyway then feel free to do so.

Edited by deltagamer

Hilarious. Are you gonna be like Caiden and be all like "Oh we released A3L Before Arma 3 even came out" or some shit.

Fact: TacBF came out before A3L.

Edited by GSP167

Something I've been wanting to talk about for a while is Caiden and how he apparently doxed someone who was quite young. Now there was a post about this earlier on this thread that had information including pictures which I believe got deleted in all the arguing and off-topic posts that were made. Doxing itself is not illegal however due to Caidens doxing this has led to personal attacks and out right harassment against the person who was doxed. Now there is no way (or easy way) in getting so much information about an individual through their IP address, so you might ask how he got it? Well apparently the doxed user was a member of his website and even had a user account. Now if that is true then that could mean that Caiden could have used his administrator rights to access personal information and share it without the persons knowledge or permission. Therefore breaking the Data Protection Act of 1998 that was passed by the UK Parliament to match the standards of the EU data protection directive of 1995. Now the EU and UK laws can be a little different but do have a similar structure. From that deleted post it was mentioned that the person receiving the dox attack was in the EU and I believe it was mentioned Caiden was from the US, I'm a little unfamiliar how their Data Protection Directive works in the US however I know it was derived from the EU one making it a little similar to the UK one. If it is found that Caiden broke the Data Protection Act then he is liable (in the UK at least) to face penalties from the Information Commissioner's Office and face fines up to £100,000 or more.

If anyone one wants to add to this or correct it in anyway then feel free to do so.

Agreed. Caiden lives in the Netherlands so I assume the EU has jurisdiction.

A3L user commented on that Youtube video:

Bohemia only enforces their own EULA. And we are breaking none of those terms. Some mods were taken from public websites (such as armaholic) and we are not in breach of anyone's license. Putting a disclaimer into your mod which says: 'You cannot redistribute' is not something we have to legally follow. Also modders good luck trying to take our server down since none of the content belongs to you. Trust me, take our servers down and we will have new ones by the time you can count to three. And if it does get taken down (which is impossible anyway) I'll release the server files and our modpack to the public for everyone to host their own server. Here is the EULA which states that modders do not own anything they make for ArmA 3: All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including but not limited to any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, narrative, locations, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audiovisual effects, methods of operation, any related documentation, and addons incorporated into the Program) are owned by Bohemia Interactive a.s. (the Licensor) or its licensors. The Program is protected by the Czech copyright laws, international copyright treaties and conventions and any other applicable laws. All rights are reserved.