skruis

Athena - An ARMA 2nd Screen Application

I'd like to run ACS as a Windows service so we can leave it up during the week without having to be logged in to the server. However, the service pauses on start. The log shows:

12/07/2019 10:38:16 AM: Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.

Is it possible for ACS to support this?

Currently having issues trying to import Rosche - it does the full export but after the pipeline finishes sending info it just goes back to proceed and doesn't process the data, any idea what I've done wrong? seems to work with every other map.

@skruis (or another programmer who has worked with Athena), do you know which .dll (Dynamic Link Library) files and/or other Windows components Athena uses?

Explanation: I am going to make an effort to get Athena working properly in Linux using WINE. If I should be successful, I will post my results, ideally in the form of a short tutorial. I suspect that there are at least some other Arma 3 players who only use Windows for recreation (gaming) and who, therefore, only have Linux (or another OS) on their other computers. Thus, by having a way to get Athena working properly in WINE, the possible base of Athena users would expand.

Thank you for your assistance and for all of your great work on this mod.

@Eutyches Any progress? If it helps, I can post a screen of the misc references for each of the projects.

@andyruler10 I'm in the middle of completely overhauling the map export process.

@The Whitestrake I originally envisioned the ACS running as a service eventually. Because it was a very early release, I expected problems and I wanted to set an expectation that none of the data it held should be considered 'permanent'. It's matured a little bit but there's still an odd bug with the maps invalidating after a while...I haven't nailed that down yet. When I circle back to the ACS, I'll re-engineer it as a 2 part component: a service and a user interaction app.

• Like 3

@skruis, I was not able to get Athena working properly in WINE. Although this is not the result for which I had hoped, I am happy to report that it works flawlessly with Windows 10 installed in Virtualbox.

For anyone else who would like to do this project, I do the following:
1) Allow the virtual machine to have full network access with Bridged Networking.
2) Have the laptop running Linux with Windows in a VM attached to the same ethernet switch as the host machine.

It is possible that neither of these things is necessary, but there is already noticeable lag in Athena with my setup, so there did not seem to be any point in introducing any additional points of latency/lag/decreased bandwidth/etc.

I use this mod and it’s awesome, I consider it a must have in the milsim community. I do however have an issue, I use armasync to start my game and have everything setup properly but for some reason the mod don’t always start correctly when the game starts. 

So here’s what happens...I click on the armasync icon and my game loads steam first and then the game boots up, while the game is booting up the Athena mod main window pops up the main screen sometimes has the little window pop up to start the map loading and sometimes it don’t pop up...I was wondering if you could do a video on how to properly start the game with the mod once it starts...I can’t figure out why it’s not starting all the time...thanks and keep up the great work...

There is a problem with my Athena. Its starting up as normal but not getting the map or anything else it just launches

It's embarrassing to reply to these requests so late BUT:

1. Athena Designer mod is horribly out of date. What you can do is unpack the pbo, modify the scripts yourself to grab every unit, repack it and use it locally. You won't be able to join servers but you will get the ability to use it for local debugging.

2. The site basically just pointed back to the Steam page. So ... go to the Steam page.

3. Sometimes, there are some random JSON formatting errors that cause the deserialization to fail. If the relay is starting, there's a debug option that lets you capture the output from the game. You can run that through a JSON validation utility and it'll help you to identify what the problem is. What I've run into before is that some special characters in people's profile names aren't escaped (I know: I'm a newb) and that can be the culprit.

Otherwise, the mods status is: I'm rewriting it. From the ground, up as a native Windows 10 app so everyone that asked for Pinch-to-Zoom is getting it. The relay's functions are being moved into the Extension so the problem some people run into with the relay process not launching is going away. The communications protocol is being overhauled. The data collection scripts are being overhauled. The map export process is changing to a more unit based method that should be more reliable and self documenting in case of failure. I've added support for mission designers, through scripting, to limit the 'scopes' of data that the users can collect (player, player group, player side, player + player side group leaders, all or specific units) and the user can select the scope they want from the app, which should help people that want to use Athena in very large missions with numerous AI by narrowing the data set. I'm making the app look more ... militaristic too. I have no actual knowledge of how military equipment looks and I do not intend to be bound by the reality of similar devices when the idea is more fun. The look of the map is likely going to change as well ... some people might hate it, some people might like it. I think it looks cool and different but we'll see.

Sorry for all the delays. Life.

• Like 10

Best of luck there skruis. Looking forward to the rewrite, I really like your mod! Thanks for still putting time and effort into it! ❤️

• Like 1

Hi skruis,

since you re-write your mod can you prevent it from turning off the display after some time. At the moment I change power saving settings every time I use Athena to prevent that.

Athena is one of my favourite mods for flying helicopters since opening the ingame map and loosing complete situational awareness is often fatal especially at high speed and close to the ground. With Athena I can determine my position on the map with one glance on my Surface tablet.

I have one little issue and have so far been unable to find in any sort of key bindings, but when I right click with cntrl to change scope view Athena is stopped from following me on the map. Is that normal?