Sign in to follow this  
zooloo75

ArmA is the game that changed my life

I thought I should post this. Not a long message, but I'd like to just put this out there.

Ever since I played ArmA2 (I believe during my junior year in highschool) during its release, I've always been fascinated by the scripting language and how it was possible to make anything and share it with players all around the world. Before I ever played this game, I had no interest in computer science (which I am currently majoring in). This game got me hooked into programming and now I am one of the best Computer Science majors at my university.

As I said, I'm keeping this short and would like to thank BIS for their games that shaped the course of my future.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Wow that's quite the compliment! I am not sure there's a direct competition out there still.

I guess that I'm slightly older :j: but in my case it was OFP ( the Arma family predecessor ) that had some good influence in my life ( my professional career and so on ).

I'm 26 in a few weeks. Been waiting for walking/shooting from vehicles and the 3D editor for 13 years and counting. ;)

It's going to be weird when those two get implemented within Arma 3 lifetime. :p

I guess that I'm slightly older :j: but in my case it was OFP ( the Arma family predecessor ) that had some good influence in my life ( my professional career and so on ).

Everything started with that damn OFP game,now I'm going weekly at OFP/Arma Anonymous meetings.:sad_o:

Sometimes I see the BI man around the corner of my building and I can't help it,he always says "hey man I got the latest dlcs".

Everything started with that damn OFP game,now I'm going weekly at OFP/Arma Anonymous meetings.:sad_o:

Sometimes I see the BI man around the corner of my building and I can't help it,he always says "hey man I got the latest dlcs".

Armaholics Anonymous.

Same for me.

Armaholics Anonymous.

ehehehehehehehe, since 12 years in my case, almost 10 years on this forum , yes OFP/Arma changed my life, it is addiction, yes, it is, still after dozen years i play OFP missions (in CWR2)

Funny, I think you're about 2 years older than me then zooloo and I'm also majoring in Computer Science. Started playing Arma 2 around sophomore or junior year though I started probably a few months after arrowhead was out was it a year, I don't quite recall. SQF was my first encounter at dabbling with some codes. Well, I knew I wanted to be something computer science related, but Arma gave me my first experience.

Funny, I think you're about 2 years older than me then zooloo and I'm also majoring in Computer Science. Started playing Arma 2 around sophomore or junior year though I started probably a few months after arrowhead was out was it a year, I don't quite recall. SQF was my first encounter at dabbling with some codes. Well, I knew I wanted to be something computer science related, but Arma gave me my first experience.

19 at the moment.

Also correction, I remember now, I started playing ArmA2 my Freshman year of HS. I recall building my first PC just to run it xD

OFP and Arma changed my life too...before I saw the world as it is, now I see the world in a grid-like pattern of wireframes and find myself in debates of how such an object would be best be unwrapped...gotta model something gotta...oh hello 3d modelling app...time to sit down and not notice the hours passing by.

I've been seeing Arma videos on youtube and the like for over a year. I came close to buying it a couple times, but I struggle to understand how the game works, and if its an MMO or something were you play with real players against "bot" enemies. Ive asked that question on youtube, and the answer I got seemed even more confusing as if there is no set server and games being played by the company - but rather its a free for all and you just have to find people to start a game with on their servers.

I must seem like the ultimate noob, but if anyone could explain what this game is, how you go about playing it, and if you can simply buy it and log into a MMO server to start.........id greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks - Gin

I've been seeing Arma videos on youtube and the like for over a year. I came close to buying it a couple times, but I struggle to understand how the game works, and if its an MMO or something were you play with real players against "bot" enemies. Ive asked that question on youtube, and the answer I got seemed even more confusing as if there is no set server and games being played by the company - but rather its a free for all and you just have to find people to start a game with on their servers.

I must seem like the ultimate noob, but if anyone could explain what this game is, how you go about playing it, and if you can simply buy it and log into a MMO server to start.........id greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks - Gin

I started off on the ArmA2 demo, logging approx 1000hrs on it. I was skeptical at first, but one day decided to pick up the Combined Operations pack from Gamestop. I asked for ArmA 2 and the clerk looked at me funny. He asked, "Army of Two?" lol. I was not disappointed at all with the purchase, the games have outlived every other game in my library.

Thanks - Gin

Arma is anything you want - cause it has MISSION EDITOR and of course mulitplayer , addons/mods

so you can play Arma any way you want (opposite to other games)

you can play in:

- military, army, police,

- real life mmorg buying, selling, city life,

- bus driver driving passengers

- world war one

- world war two

- aliens vs predator

- car race multiplayer,

- commander of large battle field

- lone sniper or lone blackops

- civilian tractor driver

- Stalker

- jet pilot or heli pilot

anything - depends of your imagination, your friends will , your teammates, your skills in editor and making singleplayer missions, addons you use

you can even put world war two soldier against alien colonial marines if you want

in Operation Flashpoint (aaaah almighty god OFP) you could even play:

- dinosaurs

- LEGO clocks creatures and vehicles

- banana launcher

- pink pony

- Ancient Rome

- US civil war

- sci-fi like Star Wars or Stormtroopers or Stargate

- winter areas

- desert areas

- woodland areas

- moon or mars :D

simply there was all :)

depends of you what you want Arma to be , it can be MMORG if you want , it can be shooter , it can be headquaters commander ordering 200 soldiers etc.

Arma family is the best in gaming world , it is OPEN book that you write or read - depends of you

you know what was first thing that my neigbor made in OFP in 2001 ?

he was making missions as bus-driver

he made himself bus drive simulator, build city and drove passengers from place to place,

i know people who made from OFP farm simulator or farm tycoon, i know people playing in emergency services and life rescue

in general - Arma is kind of engine that is very easy mod-able and one can create own stuff with own idea, and thanx to feature called MISSION EDITOR (not present in any other games) you can create new MISSIONS and export it to file that others can download and play

in other games you PAY for mission created by game developer company

but our beloved BIS gave MISSION EDITOR in which you can create such missions, campaign etc.

export it to PBO file and simply put on any website so others download and play the way YOU DESIRE

Edited by vilas

Ever since my brother downloaded our first mod for OFP (A higgins boat) on dial up broadband. I wanted to know how to do it. I started my first mods in Arma 1 for a RPG group, I was 16 at the time. I really got started with ARMA 2. I learned a lot but never had the will to finish anything. That was just me back then, young and reckless :p

Now even in Arma 3 I'm still learning new things. I've just gotten my results from college saying I past my Computer Game Design course. If it wasn't for that higgins boat, downloading excruciatingly slow, who knows what I would have done. Probably just joined the army, my second love :p

And yes Nodunit, I' like that too. I lay down on my bed looking around my room seeing how a 3D wireframe would line up.

i loved OFP cause it was first game with such huge maps and it had content that other games do not have - tractor, Trabant , bus etc. than i saw mods, o my god, i remember till today Rambo mod, LEGO, dinosaurs , than ancient stuff by ProfTournesol , FDF islands, Mechanic cars, all those editor-constructions from concret walls like Aztec temple, i fell in love in OFP and i love it still (Arma2 now)

for me Arma (answering to Gintonic) is something that allow me to put my childhood cars inlife, i can put prototypes of car that were never produced and drive it, i can have fun seeing alive cars from 60s, 70s etc.

i have fun seeing how people make WW1, WW2 and other historical mods, i have fun seeing weird addons such as in OFP we had pink pony, crazy frog bike, RPG launching banana and ... "milk-that" cow-gun , i remember cow gun :D i remember fire sound "milk that moth***" words instead of shoot sound

i remember mission that my personal friend (neigbor) wrote, it was mission "find vodka bottle", searching forest for one vodka bottle :D

i remeber LAN play and Trabant race, tractor races with my friend

omg :) Arma is only game i have on my PC since decade, i do not even look at other games, they do not exist for me at all, i do not know what happens in gaming world, i have CWR2 :D other games are when my girlfriend gets new adventure game (like BIS Memento Mori genre)

i do not care what happens in Battlefield X, i do not care what happens in COD x, i am happy when i see another screen of upcoming mod from other persons :)

Arma community gave me opportunity to chat with people across the whole globe and it is another stuff i love in this game,

we have people from India, south America, Russia, Japan, China etc. all world although it is basically Central/Eastern European stuff (BIS is from Czech , majority of OFP stuff is Czech made etc. like RPG75NH , SA58)

I've been seeing Arma videos on youtube and the like for over a year. I came close to buying it a couple times, but I struggle to understand how the game works, and if its an MMO or something were you play with real players against "bot" enemies.

Well more than anything Arma is a "platform".

The original game in Single Player is some kind of tactical shooter ( a bit like Medal of Honor Warfighter ) with a strong part of simulation ( if you are injured you have to call for a medic, one shoot in the head is dead, you have to take cover and think wisely where are you gonna go next ).

But the game gives you a lot of freedom of how to play the missions ( you can use vehicles from cars to helicopters to submarines ), you can take the weapons or equipment from the enemies or fallen comrades. You can give orders to some of your AI mates, etc.

That with a few MP missions is the "vanilla" game, what you pay for...

BUT

That is just the beginning. As it's a platform open to mod makers. People create for free all kind of mods, from:

- Reproducing faithfully their country's army with all kind of vehicles ( that you can use in any position: driver/pilot, gunner, commander, sit in the back ).

- Some people turn the game into a fishing simulator ( and yeah it exists ).

- Others in a WW2 or other settings ( from Star Trek, to all what you can imagine ).

- Some MP missions turn the game in a MMO.

- Other MP missions in players vs AI bots.

- More other MP missions in Players vs players ( team, alone, capture the flag, etc. ).

- SP or MP or both campaigns ( With story and cutscenes ).

And whatever you can imagine using a shoot em up / sandbox as base.

Thank you all for the great info. I even had people PM info on the game. I plan to buy this game today then, but I do have one more question I am unclear on. How is it that people find games/missions/other people to play with/on/or at?....meaning, is there some client that indexes this information??

Thank you all for the great info. I even had people PM info on the game. I plan to buy this game today then, but I do have one more question I am unclear on. How is it that people find games/missions/other people to play with/on/or at?....meaning, is there some client that indexes this information??

These forums, armaholic, play with six, steam workshop.

Buy the game and play with the editor.

Watch YouTube tutorials.

You won't regret it.

I started off on the ArmA2 demo, logging approx 1000hrs on it. I was skeptical at first, but one day decided to pick up the Combined Operations pack from Gamestop. I asked for ArmA 2 and the clerk looked at me funny. He asked, "Army of Two?" lol. I was not disappointed at all with the purchase, the games have outlived every other game in my library.

I played Arma 2 the longest out of all my games. Heh, my programming partners in college when they ask me what games I play, I told them "Arma". They're like "????". Well, majority of the people at my school play League of Legends (we're known for it and there's a big club for it here so yeah. I haven't met anyone else who played Arma, but I have met probably one person who have heard of Arma through the DayZ hype).

Amaholic website, Armedassault info website, than put addons to game instalation folder into "addons" folder or separate @modname folders and use shortcut

i would suggest buying Arma2 (cause a lots of mods for it, but of course all mods are worth try and give you hours of fun, so we cannot say one mod is better than others, all mods are great and give fun), if you want newest Arma3 than too, also to play Jurrasic Park or other old mods - Operation Flashpoint/Arma Cold War Crisis

to find benefit of all mods, you can buy 3 games of Bohemia

OFP (huge base of mods, different mods, incluing movie-dedicated mods like Rambo, Stargate, Star Wars, Predator, Jurrasic Park), Arma2 (lots of island addons), and newest A3 if you like Mediteranian locations (Greek island)

I haven't met anyone else who played Arma, but I have met probably one person who have heard of Arma through the DayZ hype).

I met someone in my former work who played Arma without me suggesting it to them. We quickly became best friends. Arma is a brotherhood. A way of life.

It's not every day you encounter an Arma player in your life beyond the computer. The only thing that can tear IRL Arma players apart is talking about what should be in Arma 3 or what needs to be tweaked.

Phantom Six, you say your school is known for LoL. Do you perhaps go to RMU? http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/20/league-of-legends-scholarship/

I haven't met anyone else who played Arma, but I have met probably one person who have heard of Arma through the DayZ hype).

I met someone in my former work who played Arma without me suggesting it to them. We quickly became best friends. Arma is a brotherhood. A way of life.

You could say people become...Brothers in Arma............