pettka

Tools Development Branch Discussion

Anyone else having problems with the game updater ? I tried to download the dev branch seperately, but it says that my Steam password is wrong. ( Guess what? The password works okay with Steam)

It's working fine for me at the moment.

The only time I ever got an error about my Password being wrong was when one of the Tools updates switched the username and password around in Account Settings form. Do they display correctly when you click the "Steam Account" button in Game Updater?

I just came here to say that wow I didn't know about the Game Updater yet. Need to install different branches now on my hard drives so the SSD isn't used all the time because of updates and I can even make some comparsion tests. Maybe people need to be informed this about better or it's just me :D

And the RC branch addition is a very good move!

Please add the new grenade animations, grenade model, and grenade zeroing into the Weapon Sample! It'd definitely be much appreciated by many! :)

Tom (Julien), if you have time, could the LODs in the A3_character_template sample model be updated to the current standard used by A3_character_example? i.e. with the new hitpoints LOD with different selection names

I just figure it would avoid any confusion/disparity that might arise from addon-makers copying those LODs from the two different source files and finding that they're different. I know people already tend to source the flesh parts like hands, legs and the proxies from the template model rather than detaching the topology from the full character model.

• Like 1

Also, could you provide an example on how to setup launchers for hiddenselections like the Titans in the model.cfg? I got the rifles and pistols and stuff sorted, but any way to show for a Rocket launcher (and magazine) would be cool.

Should works exactly the same way, you just have to make sure you're not using modelspecial for the launcher since that makes it behave like a proxy object (which don't support any model.cfg animations or hiddenselections)

Use things like the isSelected and hasMagazine animation sources to do things like telescoping launch tubes and show/hide the missile in the tube, instead of configging the ammunition swap to an alternate modelspecial geometry.

• Like 1

Ahh okay I'll see on that one then, thanks.

Okay is it just me or is Publisher not publishing all the files to Steam correctly? As I upload my files, it shows that it's the full amount but when I Subscribe to check it, it's ~200MB less than what I uploaded and get a Green It's good message.

http://562.50megs.com/Arma3/Steam1.jpg

http://562.50megs.com/Arma3/Steam2.jpg

And it's not my connection as I tried it elsewhere and still the same result. Will send .rpt if needed.

By the way tried your method out da12thmonkey and so far no joy. It's a "nice to have" feature and not something that will be a real priority.

Also getting a weird error with Publisher, I checked one file and is around 150MB or so, but when I select it with the bisign Publisher shows only 15.4MB which is obviously not the right size. So either Publisher is borked or Steam is as this is starting to crop up with my weapons mod, and probably with my other mod too.

I also reinstalled the Tools (first standard and then Dev) and still the same issue. I also rolled back to standard and still the same issue.

Hmmmm...

I checked my file sizes they're right but I think maybe it glitched somewhere.

But just in case:

u100.pbo: 602 MB

u100.bisign: 1 KB

u100_gear.pbo: 15.3 MB

u100_gear.bisign: 1 KB

According to File Explorer. One user mentioned it unsubscribed, and then when he resubscribed it worked fine so it may have been a slight glitch on some program or whatnot. So far there hasn't been any other complaints other than that, which may have glitched on it's own and resolved itself So maybe it was that, just a glitch....

Ho, posted my question in totally wrong place before. :D Thought that I was posting here back then so here goes!

Any news o Terrain Builder updates? Could really use clearer snap took with snap point indicators and such and maybe some values on how far it looks for a snap and maybe even snap by selected object type option.

At some point something has changed as the snap points dont get written into the template file anymore. But the snap is still quite hard to use with multiple snapable objects in close proximity. Maybe if we could have few constrictive options for the snap like, by object name/type, by layer, by snap point name and the current snap all? This would make constructing multi-piece structures much much easier.

Also there seems to be some sort of autocentering going on with the snap points that makes them offset form the mesh in TB. If the object has autocentering set to 0 in the geometry named property, the snap points are still read as centered, which totally messes the snapping.

I just lost my entire project when I used the A3 addon builder, after I tried to binarise through BinPBO, which wouldn't let me save to my normal desktop when I don't binarise, to say I'm fucking gutted is an understatement, months of work, and textures still in raw format gone.. 

I had no problems making unbinarised pbo's with the A2 BinPBO, I won't be using the A3 addon again, that's for sure.

I just lost my entire project when I used the A3 addon builder, after I tried to binarise through BinPBO, which wouldn't let me save to my normal desktop when I don't binarise, to say I'm fucking gutted is an understatement, months of work, and textures still in raw format gone.. 

I had no problems making unbinarised pbo's with the A2 BinPBO, I won't be using the A3 addon again, that's for sure.

They could still exist in P:\Temp? 

In .Source folder in P: drive if the binarize process was interrupted the work folder might still be there.

If not, theres still possibility of file recovery programs might help.

• Like 1

I run all my addons through Addon Builder and still all the files are there, no issues.

I run all my addons through Addon Builder and still all the files are there, no issues.

This happened for me once around the time when A3 tools came out. Lost the whole map project folder for unknown reason, but luckily had source files elsewhere so only the time used on the map was lost and switched over to Mikeros tools when they updated to A3.

Ahh okay, I think it was around Decemberish 2013  started to do modding and never had any issues other than clearing my head of stuff long not used.

One request Tool Branch Devs, would you mind until the game is patched before sending updates? I had inadvertently packed one of my PBOs with the new Tools version and had to roll back to the Normal version in order to still play the game. I know you're not on the same schedule as the Main Branch of the game (Tools or game itself) but next patch settings don't happen as fast as obviously when you're a Dev...

One request Tool Branch Devs, would you mind until the game is patched before sending updates? I had inadvertently packed one of my PBOs with the new Tools version and had to roll back to the Normal version in order to still play the game. I know you're not on the same schedule as the Main Branch of the game (Tools or game itself) but next patch settings don't happen as fast as obviously when you're a Dev...

Dev branch of the game and RC for next update should support the new format already, the only problematic part may be the main branch of the game, which should be updated with the RC soon (expected half of this month).

Other way how to change the behaviour is to use main branch of Arma 3 Tools instead as it doesn't contain the updated binarization yet :icon_twisted:

Unfortunately, it's not possible. The development branch is meant for experimentation and in this case, the introduction of the 32bit vertex indices is quite a change.

In short, when a new technology which implies a change at the tools level is introduced into the dev branch of the game (Recent cases: FontToGTA and Binarize), the tools are updated accordingly. This, in order to allow content creators to test their work ingame, with the upcoming features.

Understandable and so far I'm not having issues with rolling back to he Main Branch of the tools, so it was a slight inconvenience but for now I'm surviving too :)

So when 1.55 hits I'll return to Dev Tools, thanks!

Object Builder

•     Fixed: locked normals are no more recalculated when 'F5' or file saved

Fantastic news.

Is there any opportunity to fix the bug where verts forming faces with very small area have their normals locked to hard (i.e. short edge lengths are stuck with hard shading and can't be smoothed/averaged)?

A few of us discussed it in this thread: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/188101-smooth-problem/

The result is also observable on the red bead of BIS' Kahlia scope backup sights.

• Like 1

Object Builder may receive some additional update soon, I can't tell yet what will be changed however, this is on my list.

• Like 2

Is it just me or is the model.cfg borked? I still use the old format (which works, but not perfect), and so any "new" weapons (such as the Bulldog and M468) when done properly, the flip sights "float" below my weapon when an optic is mounted. Yes, I do have the memory points there but it's so far been repetable on the Bulldog, and the muzzleflash randomly "stays on", and then "tuns off' (as it should), so I rechecked the model.cfg, as the previous weapons work as they should, but anything "new" and I'm  having anim issues.

Is it just me or is the model.cfg borked? I still use the old format (which works, but not perfect), and so any "new" weapons (such as the Bulldog and M468) when done properly, the flip sights "float" below my weapon when an optic is mounted. Yes, I do have the memory points there but it's so far been repetable on the Bulldog, and the muzzleflash randomly "stays on", and then "tuns off' (as it should), so I rechecked the model.cfg, as the previous weapons work as they should, but anything "new" and I'm  having anim issues.

i've had bug like that happen, but it was fixed by redoing the model.cfg. Must have been that there just some little error somewhere in there. Whats this new\old format you've mentioned though?