laxemann

Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape" (L_ES) - Gun reverb and echo based on terrain

... and the reason why ES is taking so long. :D

I forgot to say - great work here, very impressed with your progress!

Just chucking an idea out here. I wonder in future would it be possible for the Arma weapon system designers (we are blessed with them in Arma) to include a dry weapon discharging sound effect, by this I mean removed reverb :D? Therefore creating a more balanced audio picture in LE S enviroment and not having two reverbs... ?

I kinda missed that one, haha!

I thought about that myself and actually tested it with a modified version of my FN Fal sound used on the Mx, haha, also I removed the the "fade in" part of the reverb sound.

The result was this:

It sounds "okey", I guess, but I honestly didn't like it at all, mainly for these reasons:

• If too many shots are fired, ArmA's engine can't calculate them all at the same time, resulting in weird function behaviour and lagging reverb-playback. This is why you can define the maximum amount of simulationously calculated shots in the userconfig.

This would mean: If too many shots were fired, your own shots might end up having no reverb.

• This would pretty much require a complete new soundmod, haha

I see, well it will still add a more believable audio environment to Arma. Maybe it's a good thing because when your facing towards the hill it sounds a bit to isolated.

cp93kinf5qb7ekscm.png

So, there we go. ANNOUNCEMENT

Internal tests within my community will begin next week and I'l like to give others the same opportunity (meaning helping me to improve the mod).

So, if you're interested in participating in the closed Alpha, send me a message.

There are a few things that you should know:

• I'm having the closed Alpha in order to improve the mod, not to make it public/share it with a large amount of people yet

• I'll only hand the current version to people that are either competent in scripting or audio editing, so please show me your references

• People that get the Alpha from me are allowed to test the mod within their community/clan, and even though I won't be able to control it anyway, I'd like you to keep the access as restricted as possible

• The Alpha is _very_ unfinished, especially sound-wise

I'll take the second point very seriously, so please don't feel offended in case I say no. Again, the Alpha is there to find bugs etc., not to officially release a first version of ES. :)

These sounds reminded me of the sounds in bfbc2. Keep up the good work.

So you make those awesome sounds for my mate Kaelies and now this! :D

You sir, are a legend!

/watch?v=17ZII99PY9g

This and other videos from this guy might be interesting. Altough those are not guns, they still contains high quality reverb sounds.

Would be happy to see more videos :D

Your job is incredible, congratulations.

/watch?v=17ZII99PY9g

This and other videos from this guy might be interesting. Altough those are not guns, they still contains high quality reverb sounds.

Yeah they'd be pretty good. Even some of the smaller fireworks in his other videos would be good for pistol reverb.

How have I missed this. Sounds dam nice without any other soundmods which is big thing.

Hey guys,

a small update: There pretty much is no update since I've been working on Mount and Climb for the last weeks.

Since they've become fairly stable and functional now I'll continue working on ES now. :)

I also started another project which is a soundmod framework (Meaning out-of-the-box distance scripts and all that stuff) that is planned to be avaiable to everyone.

(I already have done a few weapons myself but that was more for testing purposes, I don't plan to make full soundmod since... you know, time.)

The idea behind that is that people who are well capable of making sounds but have no experience in sqf will be able to make their own small or big soundmods.

Enough from that, back to ES: I'm still struggling with finding good reverb sounds and, most important, keeping the performance up.

I had the reverb sounds for the M2, MX and FN2000 finished but after listening to them again after the break... nah, they need to be reworked or at least tweaked.

Oh, I also got some very nice and helpful feedback from the alpha-testers. Thanks for that!

LAxe

I also started another project which is a soundmod framework (Meaning out-of-the-box distance scripts and all that stuff) that is planned to be avaiable to everyone.

(I already have done a few weapons myself but that was more for testing purposes, I don't plan to make full soundmod since... you know, time.)

The idea behind that is that people who are well capable of making sounds but have no experience in sqf will be able to make their own small or big soundmods.

What a brilliant idea! :)

Aaaallright guys!

Some news and a call for help at the same time:

I spent the whole night (8 hours) with being a f*cking nerd and cellar kid and rewrote the mod completely.

The results are fine, it's generally way faster, easier to implement and will allow people that want to create their own soundsets

to do so in no time.

But I'm struggling with one issue, and this is the point at which I need you guys!

By rewriting the complete code, I've been able to find the performance bottleneck:

I'm currently using an adapted version of twirly's function in order to move the reverbs away from the

player. This function works fine and is no big deal used on single objects, but it simply lags out when using it on two objects for each shot, meaning the engine can't process everything at the

same time and other scripts/shots begin to delay.

My question therefore is:

Do you guys know any other, performance friendly way to move an object from position a to position b?

This really is the last big problem I'm having but I can't find a solution on my own.

Thanks in advance,

LAxe

Edited by LAxemann

Well, there for sure may be done several things to optimize performance, like way of executing, removing redundant markers, moving all, what possible out of the loop or perhaps trying steps rather via model coordinates. Depending on details this may look like here (not tested):

RYD_move2D_obj_fnc = 
{
_obj = _this select 0;
_pos1 = _this select 1;
_pos2 = _this select 2;
_step = _this select 3;
_timg = _this select 4;

_obj setPosATL _pos1;//not needed, if object created at pos1 (recommended)

_dX = (_pos2 select 0) - (_pos1 select 0);
_dY = (_pos2 select 1) - (_pos1 select 1);	

_dir = _dX atan2 _dY;

_amnt = round ((_pos1 distance _pos2)/_step);

_obj setDir _dir;

for "_i" from 1 to _amnt do
	{
	_newPos = _obj modelToWorld [0,_step,0];
	_newPos set [2,0];//only, if should stay on the surface (but not sea surface)
	_obj setPosATL _newPos;
	sleep _timg
	}
};

[obj1,pos1,pos2,0.1,0.2] spawn RYD_move2D_obj_fnc;//pos1 and pos2 - arrays of 2D/3D coords

But gradual moving object step by step by its nature is costly due to inevitable requirement of fast looping. Especially if there is many such loops running in parallel, steps are small, timing fast and distance to move is big. Perhaps is worthy to try commands giving smooth transition on engine level. Such, as used for camera transition (frankly, the only one of that kind, I'm able to recall right now). Camera is an object that perhaps could be used there (not tested):

RYD_move2D_cam_fnc = 
{
_cam = _this select 0;
_pos1 = _this select 1;
_pos2 = _this select 2;
_tme = _this select 3;

_cam setPosATL _pos1;//not needed, if camera created at pos1 (recommended)

_cam camSetPos _pos2;

_cam camCommit _tme
};

[cam1,pos1,pos2,0.2] spawn RYD_move2D_cam_fnc;//pos1 and pos2 - arrays of 2D/3D coords

Not sure, if/how this will work for you though (it may be not quite plain, linear movement), but IMO worthy of testing. Now I wonder, if also non-cam objects could be moved using camera commands...

Edited by Rydygier

Thanks, Rydygier, your comment "or perhaps trying steps rather via model coordinates" actually made me write my own, more compact move function

based on a dummy object and... it's working better now, still a bit laggy though...

But still:

Everybody, if any well-performing method of moving objects comes into your mind, feel free to tell me!

Having this major performance breaker (which prevented me to work further on ES for many months now) almost out of the way, I'm glad to tell you that there's gonna be a public alpha/showcase version _very_ soon! :)

Edited by LAxemann

Fantastic work!

If you need sounds, you can try with company, which recorded weapon sounds for "Red Orchestra 2", for example, - AnZMnBUHGy8 on youtube. Or anybody, who have any weapon and good microphone, can record sounds for you. Or you can unpack any game resources.

Depending on how fast I can implement a specific new feature...

... you guys might/will get an alpha today or tomorrow :rolleyes:

ES.png

LAxemann proudly presents...

LAxemann's Enhanced Soundscape (L_ES)

First public alpha release

There we go guys,

I'm proud and excited to share the first public version of ES with you.

I've updated the first post with

all relevant information.

Keep in mind that this is an alpha release (hate that term).

I'd therefore be very happy about constructive feedback!

Any suggestions, any wishes? Let me know!

And most important: Tell me if you like it and have fun! :)

DOWNLOAD (0.11)

Enjoy!

Edited by LAxemann

congrats on release :)

one small error. "Script L_ES\scripting\addCount.sqf not found".

I opened up the pbo and the script is missing along with removeCount.sqf, but both are compiled in client.sqf

congrats on release :)

one small error. "Script L_ES\scripting\addCount.sqf not found".

I opened up the pbo and the script is missing along with removeCount.sqf, but both are compiled in client.sqf

I get same error after restarting an editor created mission.

Argh, silly me put an old pbo up, sorry for that!

I've updated all links, DOWNLOAD (0.11), here is the new one. :)

wow!!! Thanks Laxemann!! It sounds a little bit like the good old dynamic range sound mod from satchel for OFP. I remember the rolling thunder effect of distant artillery and tank cannon shots.