Sign in to follow this  
egilsandfeld

Bornholm, Denmark [Terrain WIP]

With a more lush environment, you would imagine Bornholm to be harder on your PC. And it is. But not by much. Generally on the country side I run about 35 FPS. In cities and dense forests it's at about 25 FPS.

My comparison to Altis would be about 40 for open terrain and 25 for cities.

The hardest is when flying, having view distance up so that the entire forest in the center of the island is visible. There it drops to about 20. But that's only natural with +400.000 vegetation objects in sight :)

With a more lush environment, you would imagine Bornholm to be harder on your PC. And it is. But not by much. Generally on the country side I run about 35 FPS. In cities and dense forests it's at about 25 FPS.

My comparison to Altis would be about 40 for open terrain and 25 for cities.

thanks for the info. well, that doesnt sound too bad. tweaking VD down for infantry combat should be enough I suppose :)

..but still hope there are further performance fixes coming from BI, better multicore utilisation etc

Sent from mobile

Video update July 15

1200 rocks just placed on Bornholm, variated vegetation density in Almindingen and adjusted Normal Map on satellite layer. It's getting better and better all the time!

Wow, it's improving really much!

In my city there is one district that is an island which is mainly woods where there are music festivals, golf, etc. And I could feel a lot of similitudes with the last video you posted.

This Project looks damn good. It is the first island iam happy about for arma 3 :-)

Will it requiere nasty old ArmA 2 stuff or does it comes standalone?

Update August 3

Almost finished the area of Dueodde, located in the South of Bornholm. This area is stuffed with holiday homes in pine woods on sand and rather dry terrain. In this video I'm taking a tour through the 6 km long stretch of holiday homes, but I'm also shortly viewing new features to my many bushes - AI can no longer see through them!

The island is REALLY coming along very well. I now have 4 5x5km tiles left and then the largest city of Roenne. Its so rewarding to place objects and trying it ingame.

Again thanks a lot for your donations, I really appreciate them :)

Cant wait to see the finished product, i say it'd be great for a Beach assault mission against CAF Aggressors european rebels

Judging for the videos, the island will be really amazing and realistically organic, you can feel that is a "natural" place. It will be a really welcomed addition to A3, specially compared to the semi desert Altis.

The last video tour remembers me to the Mikkeli region in Eastern Finland, close to the Russian border, where there are lots of summer cottages.

The only thing that looks a bit odd are the houses, don't look too much scandinavian ( although I have never been in the island ), maybe after the release you could retexture a few to make them look more Danish.

Maybe you should make a royal danish Army mod for this,I offer to help with some of the textures

Thanks guys :)

Actually there is a mod for A2 that needs to be updated. It's called DDAM I think, but I'm not sure if the author is still active.

Yeah updating houses would be great, but I don't possess that skill yet :)

I am willing to help make units for this map, since my partner is having a modding marathon on his end of our mods. I've done some, albiet small research on the Royal Danish Army. C7/8 Rifles, Helmets very similar to the PASGT or even the LWH.

ddam is still active as far as i know... but keep up the good work on the map... looks good

Looks really nice, good job.

So, those hedges...

The LOD or whatever it is on them, it seems to have a problem, the colour changes when you get close.

Is there a way to modify whatever (addon I assume) those plants are from, so you can make it have a consistent color.

Everything else looks really great, but that color change on the bushes is really weird.

(Maybe it isn't your addon, so you cant modify it, idk, but if it isn't yours you should see if you can ask the makers permission).

Looks really nice, good job.

So, those hedges...

The LOD or whatever it is on them, it seems to have a problem, the colour changes when you get close.

Is there a way to modify whatever (addon I assume) those plants are from, so you can make it have a consistent color.

Everything else looks really great, but that color change on the bushes is really weird.

(Maybe it isn't your addon, so you cant modify it, idk, but if it isn't yours you should see if you can ask the makers permission).

I think it is shadow, he has it probably set at 50 mts. So the only ones affected are the ones 25 mts in front of him. That's why the background ones look bright but the closer ones have a shadow covering part of them.

Yeah I see what you mean, (I assume mts is meters?) but , shouldnt it be a consistent color, from 20 meters away or 75?

It shouldnt change, unless maybe its really far away or something or really close, but no matter what its way too much of a contrasting color change.

Yeah I see what you mean, (I assume mts is meters?) but , shouldnt it be a consistent color, from 20 meters away or 75?

It shouldnt change, unless maybe its really far away or something or really close, but no matter what its way too much of a contrasting color change.

i believe that those are mikebarts bushes, they always had a problem with textures.

Is he still active? Because it sounds like a really good idea to contact him and get permission to edit them or something, (assuming they aren't already open for editing ie: like open source or he released them that way etc.)

I like how there's small bumps and elevation changes everywhere. Feels very natural that way.

About that bush that is apparently from Mikebart, if it is, he released the MLODs of his mikebarts vegetation (I assume it is from that),

I don't know if that means you are allowed to edit the texture or LOD or whatever it is that is causing that weird color change, but seems like a possibility.

No the bushes are not from Mikebart. The colors are from the stand alone Summ_Plants addon to make A2 vege look like spring/summer. I need to adjust some of the LODs in there, but it shouldn't be a big problem to fix.

I've also finished Christiansø, located about 7 clicks off the North Eastern coast of Bornholm:

Nice work!

Having been to Bornholm, Christiansoe, and Frederiksoe several times, this actually comes pretty close to the real thing. Well at least with the objects that are presently available to map makers. So will you be doing Hammershus in detail along with Hammerknuden and Opalsoeen too?