KC Grimes

Grimes Simple Revive Script

Hello

I downloaded this from armaholic and tried your sample mission with the 3 respawn zones, a west squad and a MHQ car but the revive part was totally absent in both dedicated and listen server configurations, only the respawn worked.. At that point I tried downloading the 5 coop mission you linked claiming to incorporate your revive but when I depboed it I can see that it does in fact not use your revive but norrins so Im not sure what to think.

Is the current version linked on armaholic bugged or am I missing something here?

As mentioned before, I am currently in the process of fixing the Dedicated side of things today. Should be released tonight. About the mission downloaded from Armaholic, you are correct, it is not the right file. I'm sure there was just a miscommunication. I will talk to Armaholic about it. In the meantime, I've updated the OP of the COOP 5 First Light thread with a link to the MediaFire Download Mirror for COOP 5 First Light. Apologies for the inconvenience. Still note though that this isn't Dedicated compatible just yet.

Edit:

At this point I have the script working completely on and off a Dedicated environment, save for the Unit Tag system, which is going to need a little redesign. That said, however, I am working on it. Expect v0.6 tonight to be truly MP Dedicated compatible, among other new things.

Edited by Grimes [3rd ID]

Grimes,

Thanks for your hard work and this great script. It combines so many good features my group is used to using in ArmA 2 - a little bit of Colum's Advanced Revive Module, some HOG MHQ and even a bit of a great TAG script I first encountered in Sick1's SEAL Team 6 DEVGRU missions.

I also appreciate that you are working on correcting the DS issues as that is what my group games on exclusively.

I was wondering if you are able to add something to the script or clarify something if i missed it in the readme?

I was wondering if you could put in a parameter that would allow the mission maker to set how many seconds need to pass until the unconscious player, who is waiting for revive, is presented with the respawn dialogue - ie. presented with the option to respawn instead of waiting for revive?

Right now I can't find that setting and assume it's not modifiable - if it is in there somewhere and I missed it, I apologize for asking.

Anyway, keep of the great work and looking forward to seeing at DS version soon.

Theopolus.

Grimes,

Thanks for your hard work and this great script. It combines so many good features my group is used to using in ArmA 2 - a little bit of Colum's Advanced Revive Module, some HOG MHQ and even a bit of a great TAG script I first encountered in Sick1's SEAL Team 6 DEVGRU missions.

I also appreciate that you are working on correcting the DS issues as that is what my group games on exclusively.

I was wondering if you are able to add something to the script or clarify something if i missed it in the readme?

I was wondering if you could put in a parameter that would allow the mission maker to set how many seconds need to pass until the unconscious player, who is waiting for revive, is presented with the respawn dialogue - ie. presented with the option to respawn instead of waiting for revive?

Right now I can't find that setting and assume it's not modifiable - if it is in there somewhere and I missed it, I apologize for asking.

Anyway, keep of the great work and looking forward to seeing at DS version soon.

Theopolus.

Thank you for the feedback and compliments! I have what you're asking for already implemented, but it is not that direct (or perhaps its more direct?). Anyway, the way it works is you set the variable G_Revive_Time_Limit to the number of seconds that you will allow a unit to be Unconscious. If that unit remains unconscious for that amount of time, they will be setDamage 1'd (killed). In they event that you want to respawn instead of waiting to "bleed out", per say, simply hit escape and hit the Respawn button, assuming that isn't disabled via description.ext or G_Respawn_Button being false.

Some tricks: You can set G_Revive_Time_Limit to -1 to not have a "bleed out timer", and instead have unlimited amount of time to be revived, or choose to Respawn via the stock button. Also, you can set it to 0 to bypass the revive system completely.

Just to update: Fixing of DS issues is complete, I am just about to do some testing then add in some simple features. Still planning on uploading tonight. Stay tuned!

You seems to have found a way to delay death even in a pure single player game, how have you done this? Is this complex code?

The reason I ask this is because I want to overwrite the default death handling in my single player mission, Respawing ends my mission. Instead would I simply move the player to his start position, give his health back, paralyze him for a few seconds, register who would has last damaged him("the killer") and handle scoring accordingly.

Kolpo: Grimes' Simple Revive Script does exactly that. With the right settings, you could basically have only what you're asking for. In your case, you'd run the script except have G_Revive_time_Limit set to 0, bypassing the revive system. You'd then rely on the spawn time (also a variable) for the delay.

Alright folks! I apologize for the delay, and I don't bring amazing news. Unfortunately during my testing I ran into little issues hear and there, but I almost think they are due to lag. Anyway, the script is completely functional in a Dedicated Server environment now (or at least that's the idea, keep reading), however I do not want to "release" at this point. Instead, since a few of you provided excellent feedback and even offered to help test, I'm going to post a link below to sort of a "beta" version of v0.6 of Grimes' Simple Revive Script. This version is not for distribution, and is strictly for testing purposes.

[DOWNLOAD LINK REDACTED - SEE POST #33]

Key things I'm asking any testers to look for, but please don't limit it to this:

-Animation funkiness. Not so much blocky/ArmA-normal, but for instance reviving someone and them sliding around on the ground, or you being revived and your rescuer continuing the revive animation for 30 seconds.

-Missing things that were present before/I've said should be there (actions, markers, spawn positions, etc)

Also, I suggest keeping the unit tags display setting set to 0, as I believe 1 and 2 are not quite 100% for a DS yet. I just need to go to bed!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to do some testing. As always, PLEASE feel free to provide any sort of feedback. I'll have a few hours to work on it tomorrow.

Hey Grimes,

Thanks for the Beta - I've downloaded it and will doe some testing with it on our DS tonight. I will keep an log of any issues I observe.

In addition to testing, I was previously tinkering with the scripts with the intention of making the MHQ deployable - ie. have it deploy a bunch of gear and supplies so as to operate as a FARP. Joris-Jan van 't Land wrote a script in ArmA 2 that did this, but before I go and start tinkering, is this already on your Radar and or do you have any objection or see any immediate problems with doing this?

Thanks and I will do some testing tonight.

Theopolus.

Didn't get much of a test as I was busy with other things but threw it on the server and tested myself for 10 mins,

All the errors had gone away,

I had no one to revive but I did fall into unconsciousness where I would immediately die before,

The addaction on MHQ disappeared on JIP.

After first death I came back setCaptive true, and it took leaving the server and returning to be fixed, but first death and it returned.

Hey Grimes,

Thanks for the Beta - I've downloaded it and will doe some testing with it on our DS tonight. I will keep an log of any issues I observe.

In addition to testing, I was previously tinkering with the scripts with the intention of making the MHQ deployable - ie. have it deploy a bunch of gear and supplies so as to operate as a FARP. Joris-Jan van 't Land wrote a script in ArmA 2 that did this, but before I go and start tinkering, is this already on your Radar and or do you have any objection or see any immediate problems with doing this?

Thanks and I will do some testing tonight.

Theopolus.

I appreciate your willingness to help with making the deployed MRVs look "deployed". This is something I definitely want to do at some point. For now, it is low on my list (its a feature, and critical stuff isn't 100% yet), so I haven't even started on it yet. As well, it conflicts with the fact that currently the script allows any vehicle to be an MRV. Helicopter to tank to truck to quad. As long you there is an empty space, you can spawn in it. If we were to setup a script that added objects around it to make it look deployed, we would have to do it for each vehicles, or, more realistically, do it for 2 specific vehicles (one WEST, one EAST). Of course, all of these would be options. Now, about fully functioning FARPs, I am not too interested in doing it at this point since it is a bit of a stretch from the primary intent of the script. I'll keep that in mind though for when I get the main stuff fixed up. Thanks!

Didn't get much of a test as I was busy with other things but threw it on the server and tested myself for 10 mins,

All the errors had gone away,

I had no one to revive but I did fall into unconsciousness where I would immediately die before,

The addaction on MHQ disappeared on JIP.

After first death I came back setCaptive true, and it took leaving the server and returning to be fixed, but first death and it returned.

Glad to hear its working. About the issues you're having... Not saying this is the issue, but if a unit is captive they technically wouldn't be able to see the addAction, so that may be the cause. However, I'm unable to reproduce it. I can't test JIP right now, but I along with AI died multiple times in hosted MP and Dedicated environments and correctly respawned with captive being false, as expected. Thinking out loud at this point, taking notes. Just tested it by killing myself then hitting to Respawn before the timer ran out, and there was an improper lull in the scripts that caused me to be captive true at respawn. Fixed this by changing where the necessary lines were executed. Can you, or someone else, attempt to reproduce the lack of MHQ actions for JIP by using the below new download link (I've removed the old one from my previous post)?

[REDACTED - SEE POST #47]. Once again, this is not an official release or distribution. I am simply looking for any feedback/bug reports, in this case specifically with JIP testing.

OK, have done a quick test and JIP is nearly fixed, on JIP, addaction is showing the mhq is undeployed but in fact it is deployed and operational.

The captive issue is fixed and you were correct I would have been spawning before timer ran out, I tried all ways now and addaction is showing fine.

I will do more testing tonight with multiple players to give the revive a workout and also test the respawn on group leader which was a problem as well.

Also I want to test out using the respawn tents with this as well, which should work as well.

I'm having issues in the editor restricting it so that just the medics can heal....

Is it just me... Could someone please clarify the value the line needs so that only medics can heal with the MedKit ?

Problem solved!

Nice script!

Just playing with this now.

Edited by 3lockad3

Was just testing this with someone while hosting locally.

1: When a player who is incapacitated is shot again funky things happen with ragdoll.

2: Does reviving someone with the medikit consume the medikit?

3: Tried loading a player into the vehicle, the player did not load however the option to unload him from the vehicle appeared in it's add-action menu.

Hi Grimes,

Thanks for the script. Quick question: will you respawn/revive with the gear you are wearing at that moment? Because when I respawn i get the default gear i got at the start of the mission. Or did i overlook an option?

On JIP people were spawning in the MHQ rather than Base even when G_isJIP_Start = 0 was set,

Spawn on group leader was not available.

Sorry for my lack of attention over the last 2 days, I just recently started at a new job and things have been a bit crazy!

OK, have done a quick test and JIP is nearly fixed, on JIP, addaction is showing the mhq is undeployed but in fact it is deployed and operational.

The captive issue is fixed and you were correct I would have been spawning before timer ran out, I tried all ways now and addaction is showing fine.

I will do more testing tonight with multiple players to give the revive a workout and also test the respawn on group leader which was a problem as well.

Also I want to test out using the respawn tents with this as well, which should work as well.

Thank you for confirming the captive fix. Now that the JIP/MRV issue is a bit more isolated, I believe I know what the issue is for why JIP isn't receiving the right info (rather, not receiving any info). I'll look at this.

I'm having issues in the editor restricting it so that just the medics can heal....

Is it just me... Could someone please clarify the value the line needs so that only medics can heal with the MedKit ?

Problem solved!

Nice script!

Just playing with this now.

Thanks for the compliment, and glad you got it fixed. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Was just testing this with someone while hosting locally.

1: When a player who is incapacitated is shot again funky things happen with ragdoll.

2: Does reviving someone with the medikit consume the medikit?

3: Tried loading a player into the vehicle, the player did not load however the option to unload him from the vehicle appeared in it's add-action menu.

1. Noted, interesting. Will play with this. Thanks!

2. Its a parameter. See G_Revive_Requirement, 4th down under Revive in G_Revive_init.sqf.

3. Roger that, I had seen this but thought it was fixed. Will look again. Just issues with broadcasting local commands. Thanks for the report!

Hi Grimes,

Thanks for the script. Quick question: will you respawn/revive with the gear you are wearing at that moment? Because when I respawn i get the default gear i got at the start of the mission. Or did i overlook an option?

You did not overlook anything. On respawn, you will always spawn with that unit's default gear (set by the ArmA config). I will add what you're asking to the feature list though, as I have seen this being popular in the past.

On JIP people were spawning in the MHQ rather than Base even when G_isJIP_Start = 0 was set,

Spawn on group leader was not available.

Roger that. Those Start params have been finicky. Will look at it again.

As y'all have noticed, we are fixing one thing and revealing another broken thing. The good news with this is as y'all report, we are fixing "umbrella bugs" that are shielding other bugs from our observation. Clearly though we are getting close! Once again, I apologize for not being 100% on top of these fixes. This weekend I will hit all of this hard and hope to have a completely functional DS version ready to go. Then we can start having some real fun with features. That said, please continue to ask questions about the current params and make suggestions. I may not get to the features now, but I am more than happy to add it to my features list on the DevHeaven page.

I have no questions yet, just scared to run it on a dedi environment till this gets sorted.

Once this is sorted it will be my go to revive,,, I've been waiting for something like this!

Not like this matters from a mission standpoint, but from a testing standpoint this doesn't work.

this allowdamage false;

Nice script, compact too.

Can I ask why are you using init.sqf instead of initServer.sqf / initPlayerLocal.sqf?

Thanks for what is shaping up to be a great script.

I'm not sure I will be able to explain this correctly but here it goes:

My mission starts with the squad riding in a flying helicopter (this moveincargo) and with custom gear all in the initialization field of each member placed in the editor. As soon as the mission starts I get thrown off of the helicopter. So basically I spawn at the helicopters position but I'm not riding in it. I can respawn and the script works completely otherwise. Is there any issue with this scenario?

Note: I don't "script" or know anything fancy, everything I do is in the editor by hand.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Not like this matters from a mission standpoint, but from a testing standpoint this doesn't work.

this allowdamage false;

Not to point fingers, but just given how generic that line is I am sure that the issue is in just how you are executing. I use allowDamage multiple times. As long as it is used on the client where the unit is local, all is good. I'll double check though, if that is what you're mentioning.

Nice script, compact too.

Can I ask why are you using init.sqf instead of initServer.sqf / initPlayerLocal.sqf?

No need to spread things out when I can just restrict it myself.

Thanks for what is shaping up to be a great script.

I'm not sure I will be able to explain this correctly but here it goes:

My mission starts with the squad riding in a flying helicopter (this moveincargo) and with custom gear all in the initialization field of each member placed in the editor. As soon as the mission starts I get thrown off of the helicopter. So basically I spawn at the helicopters position but I'm not riding in it. I can respawn and the script works completely otherwise. Is there any issue with this scenario?

Note: I don't "script" or know anything fancy, everything I do is in the editor by hand.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

You bring up a very, very good point that I failed to consider. I will address this issue this weekend, and it'll require some reworking. Thank you for mentioning this!

Didn't get to work on the script much today unfortunately once again due to other obligations. However, I did tackle the load/unload bug that was mentioned before and got that fixed. DevHeaven is down at the moment, but I will update that status tomorrow afternoon and get cracking on these other things. We are getting even closer folks!

Hello, and thanks for the script. I run the PHX Tactical Gamers; we ran this as an op tonight (of course before I checked this thread). No revive, no spawn on team lead, and no mobile respawn (dedicated server). It runs great in testing for me...I like using the respawn option menu.

Looking forward to the update. We will be running the op again next Saturday if the fixes are in. We'd be happy to test for you.

Other mods we use that may/may not be an issue:

Task Force Radio

BTC Cargo

USS Nimitz

Edited by maximumvmo

Have a quick question; I seem to be having an issue of a player spawning in the spectator camera position after death with no way to get back into the game, even after leaving/rejoining. This is a dedicated server (I know you are working on it). Is there just a chance I have missed a setting?

I hope y'all have had a good weekend! I was unfortunately a bit more busy than I had originally predicted, but finally (2 AM Monday morning!) got the script where it needs to be. That said, I once again want to supply those who are willing with a test/beta version of the script just to avoid the hassles of "releasing" and such. However, I am feeling good about this one. Below is the download.

MediaFire Mirror for Grimes Simple Revive Script - BETA 603 - NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION

I once again ask for testers to look into JIP stuff, as I unfortunately can't quite test JIP on a DS. Please feel free to supply any feedback and bug reports, or questions. As well, if you're really interested, please see my issue tracker for the script to see what I have fixed or added since the latest "test version". As well, see the readMe in the download. Please note that I have added new variables, so be sure to re-read through the list.

@csk222 - Thank you again for your suggestion. You'll see that what you're trying to accomplish is explained in the readMe and in the G_Revive_init.sqf file now in this latest test version.

@maximumvmo - I apologize for the inconvenience, it is quite embarrassing on my part to hear such news, though I am glad to hear you have high expectations. If you can, please give the above test version a shot, and hopefully you will not have any trouble. For your question it may or may not have been a bug, but using the latest download (again, above), see G_Spectator in the variables list. If true, when the unit runs out of lives they'll be a spectator. If false, they'll be removed from the game. The only way around this is to have them not run out of lives, or have unlimited lives (G_Num_Respawns = -1).

Edit:

Changed above link from 602 to 603, which includes features such as unit tag color changing, fix for Unconscious units being able to move, and support for units being Unconscious in vehicles (able to Unload them, then treat like normal). Once again, thank you to anyone willing to test.

Hey Grimes,

Tested your latest today on a hosted server and ran into a couple of problems.

When someone in the squad dies the respawn counter appears on everyone's screen and it takes 2 -3 times of trying to revive the dead person to actually revive them.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/794069330028507858/9B8E52ECF7A387CD122365F7923D82C67D90BCF4/

The other players also noticed a strange issues where the respawn script affects the AI. They would no longer ragdoll die and instead would get caught in the revive animation while still standing up on their screens. On my end, they would all end up lying prone but still in the revive/blacked out animation and not a true death animation.

Hey Grimes,

Tested your latest today on a hosted server and ran into a couple of problems.

When someone in the squad dies the respawn counter appears on everyone's screen and it takes 2 -3 times of trying to revive the dead person to actually revive them.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/794069330028507858/9B8E52ECF7A387CD122365F7923D82C67D90BCF4/

The other players also noticed a strange issues where the respawn script affects the AI. They would no longer ragdoll die and instead would get caught in the revive animation while still standing up on their screens. On my end, they would all end up lying prone but still in the revive/blacked out animation and not a true death animation.

I appreciate you taking your time to test. I am hoping to get my guys together tonight and do a little test as well, and we'll see if we can reproduce what you've mentioned. Thank you very much for the headsup, and we'll keep a look out for what you're reporting.

Hey Grimes,

I wanted to just post and say that this script is awesome! I will keep an eye on the upcoming versions.

Keep up the good work man.