Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Quick Terrain Builder Tutorial

If you are talking about the Map when you look at it and the grey outlines , then i believe you need to add them onto your Sat mask just like your roads / Air strips etc..

I got the map in game working fine, objects on it too. One thing though, in the in game editor the buildings and plants etc do not show up. They are there on the map in game but are not displayed in the editor as squares or circles.

Is this a known error or is it my problem, config or TB mistake on my part? (I'm using the tut's config.)

It is a known error. Apparently A2 items show up, but not A3 items.

It's discussed here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?176020-Missing-objects-on-map-by-using-different-Binarizers

And the ticket for it is here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18401

Voted¡¡¡¡ :) we need this!!!!!!!!!! ¡¡¡¡¡¡please vote

yeah - that option seems to be non-functional currently - works fine with polygons, but not polylines...

I reported it on the bugtracker - here a while back, but it doesn't seem to have been picked up on yet... Feel free to vote it up!

B

It means your heightmap has Geo data indicating where on the planet it's located and that location falls outside the Mapframe boundaries. If you remove that data it should import fine.

How do you go about removing the data, as I have the same problem?

How do you go about removing the data, as I have the same problem?

If you're using L3DT, click on the Options button when you export the heightmap (in XYZ format) and set the GeoRef setting to false. That's off the top of my head so it might be called something different but it definitely has Geo in it. I don't know how to do it in any other programs but I'm sure they'll have a helpfile that explains how to do such things.

Edited by BadLuckBurt
added XYZ format, don't think it shows for some others

If you're using L3DT, click on the Options button when you export the heightmap (in XYZ format) and set the GeoRef setting to false. That's off the top of my head so it might be called something different but it definitely has Geo in it. I don't know how to do it in any other programs but I'm sure they'll have a helpfile that explains how to do such things.

Thanks a million, BadLuckBurt, worked like a charm!

would love to see in depth tutorial as im new to terrain editing in arma series :)

I followed this guide: http://wiki.armamapmaking.info/arma3:terrainbuilder:basic_road_tutorial#instructions

But i still can't manage to have the roads show with the new shape system.

I have set up everything by the letter, even added the voice newRoadsShape in the config, which is missing from the guide, and it still won't show the roads, not in Buldozer nor in game.

I got the roads to work with the A2 files but SURPRISE Addon builder can't get them to work properly when binarized.

This is getting really frustrating.

Did any of you follow this tutorial and got roads shapes to work correctly?

Yes. I haven't done much with them, just drawing a few test shapes but the tutorial does work.

What do i have to do with the editor.sqs file? Do i need to launch it from somewhere? Do i need to address the config or the program to launch that file?

I really don't get what it is that i'm doing wrong.

What do i have to do with the editor.sqs file? Do i need to launch it from somewhere? Do i need to address the config or the program to launch that file?

I really don't get what it is that i'm doing wrong.

editor.sqs goes in P:\scripts, Buldozer executes it automatically when you view the terrain in it from Terrain Builder.

If that doesn't fix your issue, it might help if you give some more info on how you've set things up.

I did that, but never worked.

I first created my map, set up all the satmap, layermask, etc etc, redirected TB to my project directory (P:\Cha\Cha_BelkinRing), terrain grid size 512x512, terrain size in meters is 2048 (it's very small), terrain elevation 1.

Then i followed the tutorial word by word, made a shape with "add polyline", double click to end it, select it, right click, add the voices:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9za4kev38e8rf5/Screenshot%202014-06-05%2015.29.53.png

Export it to shp file.

Then when i open buldozer i still see nothing.

If the editor.sqs file is supposed to give me any indication it's working or a popup window, it does not, or it's too fast for me to notice, as it takes just a couple of seconds to start.

I did that, but never worked.

I first created my map, set up all the satmap, layermask, etc etc, redirected TB to my project directory (P:\Cha\Cha_BelkinRing), terrain grid size 512x512, terrain size in meters is 2048 (it's very small), terrain elevation 1.

Then i followed the tutorial word by word, made a shape with "add polyline", double click to end it, select it, right click, add the voices:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9za4kev38e8rf5/Screenshot%202014-06-05%2015.29.53.png

Export it to shp file.

Then when i open buldozer i still see nothing.

If the editor.sqs file is supposed to give me any indication it's working or a popup window, it does not, or it's too fast for me to notice, as it takes just a couple of seconds to start.

I'll send you a PM in a minute with some more questions, once it works you can post the solution back here :)

I got the roads to work with the A2 files but SURPRISE Addon builder can't get them to work properly when binarized.

This is getting really frustrating.

Yep works fine here.

Just DONT use Addon Builder use pboProject.

In Addon Builder make sure you included these endings .dbf;.prj;.shp;.shx

No i use PboProject as well.

After some brainstorming with BadLuckBurt we have come to the conclusion it might have to do with terrain coordinates.

Now i'm rebuilding it all from scratch following the guide and see if i missed something.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

At 17:43 (local hour) our brave heroes got the first road to work!

I think i missed one small bit along the way:

Go to Shapes in Layers Manager and make a new layer called Road

Most likely it was a mix of this and a few small details in the layers properties that caused all the trouble.

Now everything seems to be fine, i'll mess around some more and see if anything else happens.

Hi all,

I made a small island in TB for A3 (128x128-5m/pix) following Jakerod's tutorials, everything was fine, I see it ok on bulldozer but when i pack it with pboproject (and show no errors) I can choose this island in editor, and I see the map and elevations ok, but when I click on preview to take a real view of the world, it took a looooooong load screen that never finishes, i have to ctrl-alt-supr to close a3.

If i try to pack the island with bis addon builder, it show no errors again, but it doesnt appear to choose in the island list.

what would be the problem?

Thanks you in advance, and excuse me about my poor english, isn't my native language.

With BIS addon builder check if the file is actually where it should be, because now instead of just creating the file it creates an "addon" folder and then puts the pbo inside it so you might have folders as addons > addons > pbo.

With BIS addon builder check if the file is actually where it should be, because now instead of just creating the file it creates an "addon" folder and then puts the pbo inside it so you might have folders as addons > addons > pbo.

Yes, when I binarized it, with pboproject or addon builder, I moved only the *.pbo of my island to my own A3 addons folder, so I think isn´t a problem of pbo location, because that is the same operation I do with the pbo produced with pboproject (which I can see on the island list), I think it must be a config or binarization problem, but I don´t know, A3 want not to load of all my little island, it keeps loading all the time..:(.

I was gonna say it sounds like a config issue. Can you use pastebin and post your config file please?

Enableterrainsynth MUST be 0, check if maybe it doesn't become 1 by inheriting from something else.

Until a few months ago it would cause crashes or horrible glitches to the terrain whenever it was active.

It looks ok and I'm assuming (but I'm at work so I can't check, tho if your using pboproject it would return an error if a bracket wasn't there) but I would say remove the /* and */ from around the class outside terrain and see what happens first.

Then we can go from there.

Enableterrainsynth MUST be 0, check if maybe it doesn't become 1 by inheriting from something else.

I,ve checked: enableTerrainSynth = 0; as recommended on previous posts.

It looks ok and I'm assuming (but I'm at work so I can't check, tho if your using pboproject it would return an error if a bracket wasn't there) but I would say remove the /* and */ from around the class outside terrain and see what happens first.

Then we can go from there.

I´ve deleted the /* and */ and returned error on PboProject, here you see the output: http://pastebin.com/BQve4ZjY

Hi Jabeitor,

That output is pretty clear:

Warning: rapWarning: **********missing file(s)***************

Warning: JaBo\Perejil\config.cpp Line 72: JaBo\Perejil\Data\s_satout_co.paa

Warning: JaBo\Perejil\config.cpp Line 78: JaBo\Perejil\data\Perejil_grass_green_nopx.paa

Warning: JaBo\Perejil\config.cpp Line 79: JaBo\Perejil\data\Perejil_grass_green_co.paa

rapWarning: **********missing file(s)***************

It can't find those files. If they're there, try putting the whole path in lowercase: (jabo\perejil\data\s_satout_co.paa). Otherwise, move the files from where they are now to the data folder and it should fix those warnings.

It can't find those files. If they're there, try putting the whole path in lowercase: (jabo\perejil\data\s_satout_co.paa). Otherwise, move the files from where they are now to the data folder and it should fix those warnings.

Hi BadLuckBurt, I saw on previous binarizations these errors, but I decide to solve at easy way invalidating the entire class outside terrain with /* and */. Following your advice, I´ve repaired these paths but still the same issue loading the terrain...a neverending loading.