Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Circle on the sea - I'll see, what can be done. Obtaining vehicle is part of the task, so I wouldn't make it too easy. After all, there is enough vehicles, if player has to find it and it takes long - nothing bad in that, just gameplay is longer. Seeking for the vehicle may be as fun and challenging, as seeking for the body. Aesthetic spawn of civilian car will bring technical complications and will badly expose true, fantasy nature of this feature, if player eg is hitchhiking with a tank or something like that. Result will be comical.

Yes, that may be a nice compromise. Enough to avoid getting stuck, not enough to rely on this instead for using fuel stations or trucks.

Works for me. Makes sense that maybe you scrounged up a few gallons siphoned from someone's truck or whatever, but definitely need to get to a proper fuel station to fill up. Good idea.

- Doc

You could just call it fast travelling though, as hitch-hiking with a tank feels weird anyway.

But is there no way to just make a check to see if the player has a vehicle or not? And why would you hitch-hike when you have a tank? xD

Of course, I can easily disable hitchhiking (not "fast travel", as it was in 1.0 - due to user request it is covered as something more believeable... a bit at least) if player has a vehicle. It is trivial to do. So far I assumed, players want to have hitch-hike option even with own vehicle. I can change this any moment all will agree, it is better.

Of course, I can easily disable hitchhiking (not "fast travel", as it was in 1.0 - due to user request it is covered as something more believeable... a bit at least) if player has a vehicle. It is trivial to do. So far I assumed, players want to have hitch-hike option even with own vehicle. I can change this any moment all will agree, it is better.

In my imagination, I think of it as just getting from point A to point B without having to actually go through the motions of doing it in real time, whether driving, walking, or hitching a ride. An appropriate amount of time being changed on the clock to show that the time was spent. I haven't thought much about what it's actually called.

So I would vote for keeping the feature since hardcore mode allows people to play without it if they wish.

And there's always the factor of "Don't use it if you don't like it." :-)

- Doc

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

BTW, is it just me, or do other people notice that the Vanilla AI Team Leaders and Squad Leaders are VERY often the sole survivors of combat; both with me, and in AC? I can say that the majority of the time that I have "one who gets away" during a firefight with me, or I come across enemy AI AC survivors fleeing the firefight they were in, it's Team Leaders and Squad Leaders. They seem to have specialized "running away" training. Very inspiring leaders!

Really, it happens so often that it's actually funny.

Edited by Doc. Caliban

It may be caused by the way, group's AI works. I didn't look at it closely, but seems, so at enemy contact TL is going prone, shoots if can and issues orderds to flank, engage... So subordinates do whole offensive, while TL keeps position, and by this fact stays behind and is least exposed. Only theory.

It may be caused by the way, group's AI works. I didn't look at it closely, but seems, so at enemy contact TL is going prone, shoots if can and issues orderds to flank, engage... So subordinates do whole offensive, while TL keeps position, and by this fact stays behind and is least exposed. Only theory.

That would make sense. It's just become a personal chuckle for me when I come across a lone guy running through the hills and it's, yet again, a Team Leader. :-)

BTW, how often to TLs have the option to search them for intel? Seems very rare. (Even officers at checkpoints rarely have the option to search them for intel about the brother.)

-Doc

"Check Intel" action is at the end of initial AIs spawn attached to every non-AC TL. It is weird, if eg checkpoint officer not always has such option for you. It may have something to do with the events of not marking with black cross dead AIs and perhaps with TPW's feature of falling, which includes temporary replacing the unit with another to perform falling animation. No better explanation at the moment...

"Check Intel" action is at the end of initial AIs spawn attached to every non-AC TL. It is weird, if eg checkpoint officer not always has such option for you. It may have something to do with the events of not marking with black cross dead AIs and perhaps with TPW's feature of falling, which includes temporary replacing the unit with another to perform falling animation. No better explanation at the moment...

I may be running into AC TL's then ... not realizing they don't have the potential for intel. Could it be added to them as well? As for the officers at checkpoints, I could be mistaken but I think I've run into them not having the option to check for intel. I'll let you know for sure if I have it happen again.

Thanks for the reply.

- Doc

Could it be added to them as well?

Sure.

Sure.

That would be great! A big part of my play style is hunting AI teams to try to get intel. Knowing that there's at least a chance that each TL might have intel would be nice, instead of wondering if a given team is AC or not. If AC never does, it dilutes your odds of even having a chance at finding some.

- Doc

Edited by Doc. Caliban

Hello there

this is my very first post on this forum.

I'm from France and I'd like to apologize in advance for some english mistakes I would have done in my posts.

first of all, as already said by numbers of others here: a GREAT thank you to Rydygier for this wonderfull mission, all the time spent to increase it and all the time spent to reply to all of us here on this forum.

I plaid it since the first release and had no matter until the 1.74 version.

I've read a large parts of all the pages of this thread (maybe not all and I might have passed throught some important info that might helped me here with my troubles.)

my Arma is "heavily " moded as follow: (rpt part following)

== C:\Program Files (x86)\Arma 3\arma3.exe

== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -nosplash "-mod=@A3_FreeAim_Fix_0.3;@AAF_Desert;@AFRICA;@AK;@AllInArma;@ARES;@ARP2;@ASDG_JR;@CAF_AG;@CBA_A3;@DM;@EMU;@fhq_accessories;@fhq_m4_a3;@Ghillie;@GU;@IanSky_Scope_Mod;@Igit_FT;@JS_JC_FA18;@KACPDW;@Kio_L85A2;@KIOBA;@mas;@mikes;@MK18_Mod1_V02;@lsd_nvg;@outlw_magRepack_v3.1.0;@Pack_nato;@POMI_PMC;@REV1_FLASHBANG;@RH_M4;@RHPistols;@RQ-11_RAVEN_AB_A3;@RUSSIANS;@SGW_CSAR;@SHM_m16a4;@SLTS;@TMR;@UUA3a_Scopes;@v22;@zoolo75;@AllInArma\ProductDummies;\DBE1;;@AllInArma\A1Dummies;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2\Expansion;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2\Expansion\Expansion;C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Take On Helicopters;@A1A2ObjectMerge;C:\Program Files (x86)\Arma 3;@AllInArma\Core;@AllInArma\PostA3"

Exe timestamp: 2014/04/10 14:38:26

Current time: 2014/05/05 20:17:58

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.16.123633

since version 1.76 to the latest 1.79c , I experienced a lot of game crashes/troubles.

-most of time the mission is VERY long to load on the first start, lagging ... and recently crashes during the loading.

-crashes when I'm playing: game is freezing and Arma crashed with a Windows crash message attempting to "find a solution" (it never found anyway :D )

-game running fine but all loot, civilians and opposite forces "disappeared" from Altis and even the "abandoned vehicles" I already found disappeared (but the vehicule I was driven bumped in the invisible vehicle where it sould be visible

-AAF camps disappeared on identified locations I already found

-captured vehicles disappeared from location where I stored them here and there unless I kept one of my team mates close to the vehicles

-hitch hiking with my team (4 of us: Alex, my companion and 2 of mercenaries found after I broke some strongholds positions) result of N°2 (companion) being left behind at the original hich hiking departure point

-unable to use "inspect your vehicle for 1000 ff" when I broke something. need to live the vehicle a few minutes and go away before coming back and be able to repair it.

the worst appears two days ago with V1.77 et V1.78 when game crashed systematically after 2 mn max I restarted the mission on the save I was and finally finished with game crashing systematically each time when I attempted to start Arma.

I had to remove some mods (the ones who gave error messages first and then the main one "All In Arma") as it seems there were the reason of my crashes.

when I start Arma w/o any mod, all is fine (but I miss a lot of interesting items in the loot from those mods)

I recently made a launch.bat with a minimal of mods and it goes on crashing sometimes on start, so I need to remove my User.Vars.Arma3profile file in "C:\Users\Username*\Documents\Arma 3" to restart the game without any crash.

my last rtp file ended this way on the last crash:

====================================================================

== C:\Program Files (x86)\Arma 3\arma3.exe

== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arma 3\arma3.exe" -nosplash "-mod=@A3_FreeAim_Fix_0.3;@AAF_Desert;@ARES;@ARP2;@ASDG_JR;@CBA_A3;@fhq_accessories;@fhq_m4_a3;@KACPDW;@mas;@mikes;@MK18_Mod1_V02;@lsd_nvg;@POMI_PMC;@RH_M4;@RHPistols;@RUSSIANS;@SHM_m16a4;@TMR;@UUA3a_Scopes;@v22;@zoolo75;@AllInArma\ProductDummies;\DBE1;;@AllInArma\A1Dummies;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2\Expansion;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2\Expansion\Expansion;;@A1A2ObjectMerge;C:\Program Files (x86)\Arma 3;@AllInArma\Core;@AllInArma\PostA3"

Exe timestamp: 2014/04/10 14:38:26

Current time: 2014/05/06 10:52:12

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.16.123633

(.....)

Mods: @AllInArma\PostA3

Distribution: 0

Version 1.16.123633

Fault time: 2014/05/06 11:17:41

Fault address: 00000000 00:00000000 Unknown module

file: sp_pilgrimage (__cur_sp)

world: altis

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:0106C001

ECX:5AA77BA0 EDX:5AA75830

ESI:062EB080 EDI:5AA77BA0

CS:EIP:0023:00000000

SS:ESP:002B:07E5FF54 EBP:00000000

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010246

=======================================================

note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Users\username*\AppData\Local\Arma 3\arma3_2014-05-06_10-52-12.mdmp

I'm unable to open the mdmp file (I didn't take the time to search how to do it to say the truth)

I'm trying to play the 1.79 with a few mods activated, it is not very stable" but I have fixed the main crash as I remove the generated User.Vars.Arma3profile file kept in documents location before starting Arma.

if anyone can suggest or advice for help, it will be great.

otherwise, I can confirml I already have a few "kill" missions by civilians, have to hide from Helos patrol, have to deal with at least three differents fections killing each others and trying to dig a hole to avoid flying lead from all locations to survive.... I DO LOVE this SP mission !!!!!!

all the upgrades are cool (even it make my poor configuration burning sometimes ;) )

my PC config is based on:

CPU Intel Core Duo E8600 @3.33GHZ/3.34GHZ, 8 GB of RAM, win 7-64, Nvidia GeForce GTX660 DirectCU II OC 2 GBby ASUS with pilote ver: 9.18.13.3750 (337.50 Beta) 2014/03/27

thank for reading.

Rsoftokz

First and foremost I would suggest to use Play WithSix to manage your mods. That way you can not only make sure you've got the latest bugfixes to your mods (which certainly cause your troubles), but also activate and deactivate them much easier and create collections for everything. If you find out which mods can be used in combination with this mission (or others) without causing crashes, you can put them together into a single collection and always start your game with this collection if you want to play those missions without having to edit any batch-files. Additionally you can create as many startup-collections as you'd like. Maybe that way your problems could be avoided alltogether. :)

First and foremost I would suggest to use Play WithSix to manage your mods. That way you can not only make sure you've got the latest bugfixes to your mods (which certainly cause your troubles), but also activate and deactivate them much easier and create collections for everything. If you find out which mods can be used in combination with this mission (or others) without causing crashes, you can put them together into a single collection and always start your game with this collection if you want to play those missions without having to edit any batch-files. Additionally you can create as many startup-collections as you'd like. Maybe that way your problems could be avoided alltogether. :)

I was looking for something like this as well ... thank you. Does it work with the Steam version?

And welcome to the forum, rsoftokz!

- Doc

And shouldn't there be something to determine the amount and rarity of loot? Because when you get a nightstalker spotting enemies becomes really easy, I feel like it should be very rare. And finding something like 9-11 magazines is also kind of overpowered (or am i just lucky?)

I have a box of bandanas to swap for your nightstalker. I have no problem with finding a stack of magazines, especially if I have a gun that they will fit. If not I keep them, as you don't get much ammunition from dead bodies and I may need to change weapons at some stage.

I don't have mods enabled in game. I use a shortcut to enable mods and use different shortcuts for different things. Pilgrimage has it's own shortcut on the desktop. It helps to avoid conflicts and errors when all your mods are enabled at once. I launch All in Arma using their batch file.

BTW, is it just me, or do other people notice that the Vanilla AI Team Leaders and Squad Leaders are VERY often the sole survivors of combat; both with me, and in AC? I can say that the majority of the time that I have "one who gets away" during a firefight with me, or I come across enemy AI AC survivors fleeing the firefight they were in, it's Team Leaders and Squad Leaders. They seem to have specialized "running away" training. Very inspiring leaders!

Really, it happens so often that it's actually funny.

I have found when engaging a squad that I kill seven guys and then the team leader is way behind the rest of them. He is so far away from them that I wouldn't notice him if he didn't try to GP me.

And shouldn't there be something to determine the amount and rarity of loot?

Loot items is taken directly from the config. I fully agree, in the config very helpful would be entries like rarity or price. But there is only an entry "value", that is useless, eg ACO has same value, as Nightstalker and it is low value. So I can't effectively determine/set rarity for the items basing on their config. Manual set one by one is obviously no go.

What decides about probability of finding given kind of item is amount of config entries of that kind (each single entry has equal probability of occurence, so eg if you have in the config six variants of 40mm grenades, then probability of finding 40mm grenade of some sort will be exactly 6x bigger, than finding something represented in only one variant, as single entry in the config). As there is many entries and only one entry for Nightstalker, probability of finding it is tiny. So you should be rather happy, you found it. Yes, you are lucky. Enjoy easy enemy killing without remorse. :) Ammo is more common to find and amount may vary between 1 to 12 with equal probability.

Edited by Rydygier

Mission upgraded to 1.8c. Changelog:

- Now also dead team leaders of groups generated as Ambient Combat may be searched for Intel;

- seriously reduced amount of fuel added during Inspecting of the vehicle (gas stations and fuel trucks should be important again);

- additional option for asking civilians - paid information with increased chance of something useful;

- modernized fast travelling functions to handle properly "exotic" situations, like player in one vehicle, companion in another etc;

- added to the "realistic loot distribution" mode ability for player to spawn an empty loot box, that may be used for selling the loot. That box, via another action, may be removed also without selling from any place;

- fixed: AI companion does not fast travel to he hideout with player if baot is assigned vehicle;

- small fixes in hitchhiking code;

- other code fixes.

About paid Intel from civilians - apart for just asking, player now can also give some money to "motivate" given person. This way chance for anything useful increases from 50% to 85% and risk of misleading direction, if such kind of Intel will be provided, is halved.

Edited by Rydygier

Hello, my last play through, perhaps I got lucky and found my "brother" in about two hours of play. He was in a city that I had started out very close to.

Now, with these options coming up in the updates to pay for more information and get more information from placed objects and so forth, could in effect, make things a bit easier (nothing bad with that btw).

That being the case, if you are going to implement such things like getting info from PC's, Phones and Civies, you may want to think about spawning brother a hell of long ways from insertion.

Just a thought, I think. Hmmmm........I think I know what I am saying. I hope somebody gets it as well.

Very good-professional job Ryd!

Played some hours ago the latest version -also with the mods you suggested *and some others-

and it rocks :)

:)

Yes, there is more sources of Intel, than in early versions, but it is balanced by a chance for anything useful from each, and value of such intel is always limited. IMO currently chances to finish scenario noticeable faster aren't much bigger, than earler. The slight difference is due to allowing paid civilian Intel with boosted chance for anything - just another way to make all these ffs useful; and by including also AC officers as potential source of Intel, what is simply logical. If rest of the officers may hold Intel, why not those from AC.

The only one kind of Intel, that really could make gameplay much faster (circle Intel) is because of that customizable.

Edited by Rydygier

So. I'm kinda late to the party, but I played your mission for a whole bunch of hours yesterday in the evening and really enjoyed it! I sometimes missed something like a revive script for my companion (I thought wandering alone over a huge island while talking only to myself would be a bit creepy) - as this guy certainly can't take a hint to keep his head down most of the time. But besides that I definitely liked it, although loading a save game at one point let my game crash. And I wasn't really all that keen on doing the last 20 minutes over again. ;)

I know you said it a couple of times that MP and MP scripting isn't really floating your boat, but oh boy! would I be happy to play this mission with another human being! :D

I'm just letting my ideas roam a bit: What if, one day, in a not too distant future, the brother could have been killed by that fella'? :D I think that would definitely lend itself to this mission. :D

Pilgrimage - Jurrasic edition? Why not. :)

Hello, my last play through, perhaps I got lucky and found my "brother" in about two hours of play. He was in a city that I had started out very close to.

Now, with these options coming up in the updates to pay for more information and get more information from placed objects and so forth, could in effect, make things a bit easier (nothing bad with that btw).

That being the case, if you are going to implement such things like getting info from PC's, Phones and Civies, you may want to think about spawning brother a hell of long ways from insertion.

Just a thought, I think. Hmmmm........I think I know what I am saying. I hope somebody gets it as well.

It's almost entirely random, so it has to be expected that that could happens sometimes. Should be relatively rare.

For instance, I am on a long, ongoing search even with the help of intel and civilians ... it's taking forever, and I'm all the way across the map diagonally, but closing in on the correct church.

- Doc

Oh, and I found a TANK with only a few churches left to check, and a LONG drive back to the boat. That should make it go a little smoother!

Edited by Doc. Caliban

I am on a long, ongoing search even with the help of intel and civilians ... it's taking forever, and I'm all the way across the map diagonally, but closing in on the correct church.

- Doc

I had to start a new mission because my savegames disappeared on the Steam subscribed version. I was given loads of intel, loads of chapels crossed off. I thought I was heading to the right chapel, but no he wasn't there. Now one intel says head south and another says go north east. I've cleared all the chapels to the south and just come from the north east through some very hostile territory. Still, I have an assassination mission to do if I haven't lost my savegames again.

Loosing saved games occured for Steram version today due to 1.8c update. Thus I always strongly recommend non-steam version to keep control over updates. Workshop fails in this aspect.