Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

will try

I played, and did "save and exit" with 3.3.0.
just updated to 3.3.1.

Iwill see what it does .

anyway my saves are on the play to test newest Pilgrimage Tanoa Edition V1.23 before release, so it doesn't matter if I have to start a new play

On 3/27/2017 at 1:09 PM, Rydygier said:

Seems, for me issue with doubled stuff is solved for this version:

Pilgrimage1.95coop_wip8d

I think, last one today. Doubled gear have to wait. :) It's a weird though, in my onPlayerRespawn I put gear removal code. Something to test more. 

Good thing, now I know, how to somewhat affect something, that was complete mystery previously. 

Ryd, this link should be posted in the 1st post. It's newer than the one linked there. Thanks.

• Like 1

How could I forgot to update that link? Done, thanks. 

I don't know what the problem is, but I seem to be having an issue where right after setting the options the game loads to about just over half way through. Then freezes to the point where I gotta end it. Been researching as far as I can, to no avail. I cant find a single solution. So I come to you my good sir, and anyone else who can help this poor soul...

Worse part is, I played it once on an older version. 1.62. Mostly because I wanted to test to see if it was the current version I was on. so far, that seems to be the only plausible answer for me.

Hi. Sounds like Pilgrimage 1.94 versus 1.68+ A3 out of memory issue (boats placement code). In most cases it is fixed by 1.94 hotfix version. For some - 1.95 beta1, both to find in the first post. Hopefully this helps, since I have no other advice (except for experimenting with 64-bit Arma exe, if 64-bit OS present and startup maxmem parameter perhaps). 

lmao it did work... I was hesitant to try 1.95 fearing the same issue. But boy, I've never been more wrong. See, it was the hotfix I was getting that issue in. However, 1.95 is running well so far.
Also, may have helped I set the maxmem parameters. But that didn't fix 1.94 hotfix. Anyway, I'll be having fun. Thanks bro.

• Like 1

Great. :)

The best part is - I know, 1.95 works for some, that have this problem with 1.94 hotfix, but I've no idea, why - what makes that difference. Anyway - have fun. 

Rydygier

We have a game breaker in COOP since 1.68/1.70. Was hoping if you have the time and energy maybe look into it. When both players are dead usually before one has time to respawn on the other, we have no spawn options (spawn disabled in red in the spawn menu).... respawnTemplates[] = {"MenuPosition"}; gets broken. No safe place, last church or last hideout...nothing. It happens also "sometimes" when only one dies (for example me the server/group leader) and ends up with spawn disabled even though the other player is alive. So frustrating. :down:

Anywho, if you can fine if not so be it. We're about to give up.

Thanks

I'm affraid, my Arma scripting activities was again put on hold for longer period of time due to RL work. Doubtful, I'f I'll be willing and able to touch Pilgrimage scripts soon, sorry, but if so, I'll check that, thanks for reporting. BTW, from what you're describing, it's pretty possible, respawn problems source lies on the BI end, and if so, may be not possible to fix them from my end. I didn't write respawn feature, I only applied, what BI provided. Problem may be with application or with feature itself. 

Yea, we suspect, once again, that BI has broken it's own game. I've drilled through countless Google hits trying to figure something out but sadly my scripting skills are too weak.

Thanks anyway.

What should I do if the mission freezes in the final loading screen?

I watch the cutscene, pass the Map screen, select the mission parameters in-game, and then Arma locks up in the last loading screen. (Usually midway through the loading bar in the little inset window.)

This has happened with the updated mission versions for RHS in both Altis and Chernarus.

Could it be related to the 'out of memory' issue I've seen people reference online?

Could it be related to the 'out of memory' issue I've seen people reference online?

Sounds like it. You could try other version. Read more in this post

- redone respawn in coop wip - removed boat, last chapel and hideout respawn positions. Present are: teammate position and safe position. 

RYD

Do you recall if these changes are in a specific sqf or in multiple sqf's or ?

I could look back at older versions, I have back to Pilgrimage_COOP_1_94wip5b.Altis

Thanks

You're mostly looking for BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition:

Search "BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition" (5 hits in 3 files)
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_94wip5b.Altis\RYD_JR\JR_fnc.sqf (1 hit)
	Line 5274: 	RYD_JR_HideoutRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,_pos,"Last visited hideout"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_94wip5b.Altis\RYD_JR\JRInit.sqf (2 hits)
	Line 4135: RYD_JR_BuddyRespawn = [RYD_JR_Player,_buddy,"Teammate position"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;
	Line 4141: 	RYD_JR_BoatRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,RYD_JR_Boat,"Boat"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_94wip5b.Altis\RYD_JR\MainLoop.sqf (2 hits)
	Line 2389: 					RYD_JR_ChapelRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,(position RYD_JR_Player),"Last checked holy place"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;					
	Line 2447: 							RYD_JR_ChapelRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,(_x select 0),"Last checked holy place"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;

Above search result is accurate for 1.94wip5b. While new way for latest 1.95 wip8d (including inactive old ones) is:

Search "BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition" (6 hits in 3 files)
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_95wip8d.Altis\RYD_JR\JR_fnc.sqf (2 hits)
	Line 5274: 	RYD_JR_HideoutRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,_pos,"Last visited hideout"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;*/
	Line 8219: 			RYD_JR_SafeRespawn = [_unit,_rPos,"Safe position"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;	
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_95wip8d.Altis\RYD_JR\JRInit.sqf (2 hits)
	Line 4161: RYD_JR_BuddyRespawn = [RYD_JR_Player,_buddy,"Teammate position"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;
	Line 4172: 	//RYD_JR_BoatRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,RYD_JR_Boat,"Boat"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_95wip8d.Altis\RYD_JR\MainLoop.sqf (2 hits)
	Line 2443: 					RYD_JR_ChapelRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,(position RYD_JR_Player),"Last checked holy place"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;*/					
	Line 2501: 							RYD_JR_ChapelRespawn = [RYD_JR_Group,(_x select 0),"Last checked holy place"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;*/
Search "BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition" (5 hits in 3 files)

and also old and new stuff for removal:

Search "BIS_fnc_removeRespawnPosition" (4 hits in 2 files)
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_95wip8d.Altis\RYD_JR\JR_fnc.sqf (2 hits)
	Line 5271: 		RYD_JR_HideoutRespawn call BIS_fnc_removeRespawnPosition;
	Line 8138: 			RYD_JR_SafeRespawn call BIS_fnc_removeRespawnPosition;
  C:\Users\Rydygier\Documents\Arma 3\missions\Pilgrimage_COOP_1_95wip8d.Altis\RYD_JR\MainLoop.sqf (2 hits)
	Line 2440: 						RYD_JR_ChapelRespawn call BIS_fnc_removeRespawnPosition;
	Line 2498: 								RYD_JR_ChapelRespawn call BIS_fnc_removeRespawnPosition;

I wonder, if reverting to these will help. 

Excellent. Thanks.

I'm going out of town for a few days and when I come back I'm going to experiment with different scripts to see if I can make an improvement or at least fix the spawning game breaker.

if not;

One thought we had was to have player be able to pack a tent (like what is at Hideout's) and unpack it where ever players wants. If player dies he can spawn at his tent. Repacks tent, moves on with mission. I recall seeing this done before I think. We know packing a hide out in a vehicle is possible so why not a tent on the player?  :icon14:

I'll explore this more next week but in the meantime, any comments on that idea?

Thanks

One thought we had was to have player be able to pack a tent (like what is at Hideout's) and unpack it where ever players wants. If player dies he can spawn at his tent. Repacks tent, moves on with mission. I recall seeing this done before I think. We know packing a hide out in a vehicle is possible so why not a tent on the player? 

They're called rally points. We used them in the Patrol Ops missions all the time. maybe we can do that here too?

Reference 1.95 coop wip8d and respawning failures.

First I changed some of the multiplayer attributes within the editor not touching any of the Pilgrimage scripts. Keep in mind a trying to make a 3 player COOP which I'm sure is shooting myself in the foot even more.

Multiplayer_attributes.jpg

Results of respawning.

Prior_to_editing_scripts.jpg

I also added to each players init

Added_to_init.jpg

END of fix attempt 1.

I hashed out entire lines you reference above pertaining to

call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;
call BIS_fnc_removeRespawnPosition;

within 1.95 coop wip8d. Started a LAN game within the editor with no errors. Kept the same editor multiplayer attributes and info in players init.

Result of respawning.

After_removing_script_info.jpg

END of fix attempt 2.

Again, all this trial and error stuff I'm doing is in an attempt to fix the game breaker of "player gets spawn disabled or player has no spawn location".

These attempted fixes "seem" to work in multiplayer LAN with AI but need tested with server and clients. Hopefully I we can find a fix and at the same time help others. If other folks porting Pilgrimage have ideas please chime in.

I also found THIS where the guy mentions

The editor MP respawn module can be synced to each player. It adds the respawn point to each soldier easily.

but haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

Looked into rally tents as spawn positions but haven't spent a lot of time.

• Like 1

RYD

Within onPlayerRespawn.sqf

{
    _player removeWeaponGlobal _x;
    }
foreach (weapons _player);

removeAllAssignedItems _player;
removeAllContainers _player;

removeAllAssignedItems

Unassigns and deletes all linked items from inventory. The commands operates on assignedItems array, which doesnt include goggles or headgear. Use removeGoggles and removeHeadgear for those.

removeAllContainers

Unassigns and deletes all linked items from inventory. The commands operates on assignedItems array, which doesnt include goggles or headgear. Use removeGoggles and removeHeadgear for those.

Might this be the cause of clients losing everything (all items) on resume of game?

Possible, if onPlayerRespawn is run at resume on the client (but not on the server if server side player keeps his stuff?). In such case one have to somehow distinguish in the code, if it is run due to actual respawn, or not and execute that part only, if it is the first case. 

According to this it may be perhaps:

if not (isNull (_this select 1)) then
	{
		{
		_player removeWeaponGlobal _x;
		}
	foreach (weapons _player);

removeAllAssignedItems _player;
	removeAllContainers _player;
	};

So anything inside this condition will be run only, if "old unit" (_this select 1) is not null, which happens only at actual respawn hopefully. But need to be tested. 

I just tested server/client with the above info in my post hashed out. The client does spawn with clothes saved on resume of game ! :grinning:

So you should be right by distinguishing the condition. Will test.

Thanks!

.... And so enters the latest graduate from the College of modding School

• Like 1

Unhashed lines regarding

RYD_JR_SafeRespawn

But hashed out all else. Added this to onplayerkilled.sqf

[west, RYD_JR_Alex] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition; [west, AIBuddy] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition; [west, AIBuddy1] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;

"Appears to be working" with one work around which I won't explain here unless someone is interested. At least it appears the work around regarding respawning on death is not a game breaker. Need to test more and maybe then can update your latest COOP.

Thanks again Ryd

• Like 1

Well I know Ryd looking at THIS makes sense to him, it's actually still cryptic to me. All Wiki, Biki, Liki, Stiki or what ever icki does a poor job in explaining scripting IMO. I've looked at it all, info spread out over the net with arguments linked over and over until I become dizzy.

I will say this, Pilgrimage was done very smart in that it was written generically (if that's the right word?) allowing changes to be made fairly easily so it can be ported to other maps and most mods will work with it. I can't imagine him spending months learning the scripting and not going insane. It tells me he has an above average IQ to be able to sort it out. Imagine how many times he had to launch Arma to test! OMG!

I would have not figured out the syntax he posted above in a million years. Well done.

It may appear so, it was for me too at first. But a dose of motivation (having a desired goal to achieve, not too big, say, repairing respawn in a scenario, I want to play :) ), some mind inclination (a bit weird way of thinking about reality helps), a bit of persistence and failure resistance and lots of free time and step by step after several years here we are, even with no any real programming studies before.

To grasp whole thing at once requires some uber-genius indeed, but it becomes much less scary and easier to swallow if you learn one bit at a time, with no rush, gradually expanding skills though months and years with new tools as actual need dictates. Most difficult in whole process is to make first steps in most basic undersanding, what is what and why in scripting. Rest is about making consecutive steps. 

Personally started with old SQS (but it is very obsolete now, I do not recommend going into it), which was easier to grasp for me, with studying and experimenting with scripts created by the others and slow exploring of BIKI's scripting commands list. One may achieve more advanced level than the other, depending on talent and effort input but no genius is needed to start this journey even if first step is most... decisive. You've made first steps already. :)

Similar with any intimidating big projects. These wasn't constructed nor designed at once, rather one piece at a time, brick after brick. I would never hold whole Pilgrimage code logic in my mind/memory, also I didn't imagine status quo, when I was starting. Not even close. 

Just one thing - no one and nothing can substitute own experience gained through own thinking and work done, because no one can train your brain's neural network for you same, as no one could train my muscles for me. Advices are valuable and stuff, often helps to break through some mind blocks, open new horizons etc, but no any tutorial, no any tutor nor book could push you through the learning process without a fundation - famous "learning by doing". Few times people asked "hey, tell me, how to script". Well, sorry, I can tell, what I know, but this doesn't make you a scripter just like that.

Funny thing, still remember, how I was starting from 0, having only questions and no answers, and now sometimes people make me feel like some damn Yoda. :) 

hwnka.jpg

Imagine how many times he had to launch Arma to test! OMG!

Indeed, there's a nasty trap, be awared. You may start modding because you want to create cool stuff for own pleasure to play a game with. But soon you may find yourself where modding becomes more rewarding than playing, while during your tests you have to run your work as many times, you have no desire to run it once more, this time for fun. And even, if you do, you anyway end rather "testing" than "playing". Bah. Even playing other people's work, you more analyze, how they did this or that (or how you would), than enjoy. Like a writer reading a novel. There's no return. Own experience speaking. :)

• Like 6