Sign in to follow this  
sgtsev3n

indoor improvements

hello,

first of all: this has nothing to do with AI.

in armed assault (since arma 1), if i go into a building it feels unnatural.

i think armed assault needs improvements in terms of indoor/interior.

especially in arma 3. almost all buildings are empty. no objects nothing.

adding objects to the buildings would be the first step, just take a look at takistan/zargabad buildings but still: for some reason i feel that arma engine is not made for indoor/interiors. it just feel unnatural if i enter a building. if i play for example battlefield 3, grand theft auto, counter strike, call of duty, crysis or far cry and i enter a building there, i can feel the indoor environment there. in arma 3 there are no objects inside buildings, no workung lights and it feels that arma is not made for walkable buildings.

cheers

The devs are clearly pretty aware of the issue:

512x288.resizedimage

512x288.resizedimage

Yeah, it's a bit jarring - but I can deal with it.

Yeah the campaign actually has stuff in the buildings, the elite warriors in the village have a lot of supplies and wahtnot lying around. Would be fun to see those assests placed on the regular map.

Solution: Have players place objects themselves

Problem: 2d Editor sucks for this

Solution to solution: Add 3d editor

This. This. This!!!

or remodel the buildings and add funiture by modelling like the A2: OA takistan/zargabad buildings

I've never seen those newspapers before! They're awesome.

I'd love a 3d editor, it was one of the things I was most excited for when A3 was announced, and it's sorely missing. But I nonetheless love the editor improvements from A2.

-Craig

Maybe before we start throwing a bunch of furniture into buildings, we can talk about players falling through floors.

Maybe before we start throwing a bunch of furniture into buildings, we can talk about players falling through floors.

LOL! Really? What buildings do you find this on?

And that god damned 'falling' bug where you get stuck in the silly falling animation if you get too close to a wall.

It's simply a result of how Greece's economy will bite us in the ass in twenty years.

Blame the EU for this, not BIS.

adding funitures is only one step forward.

another thing which should be improved is the lighting inside buildings.

go into a building which has no windows, no holes and if you are inside the building, close the door.

any sign of darkness: fail.

you dont even need to use flashlight or nightvision. its very shiny in these closed buildings. in real life if you go into a room without windows and close the door, you wouldnt see anything and that is NOT the case in arma.

I'm guessing the main reason they haven't done anything about this is the fact that rendering such lighting throughout a whole a town would cause some major performance problems. But maybe that's not the case, maybe it's just something to do with development resources or something. Honestly I'm quite satisfied with the changes from A2 in this department, and maybe some improvements will be made in future patches / dlc.

...They're slow, they'll only get here one year later.

Considering just entering a town halves the FPS, furniture would not exactly help that situation.

And getting stuck on furniture = fun?

And third, for what purpose? Are we having tea and biscuits in the middle of a war? =)

The buildings already do pretty much everything that's relevant to ArmA. Cover.

BIS already did a great job moving from few enterable buildings to most enterable buldings. I would really hate to see development time wasted on fengshui in my military game. But yes to 3D editor for players to do this for themselves if they want to. Other than that, I'm thinking more different kinds of buildings would be way more important. And more detailed terrain instead of interiors.

I would also argue BF3 has just as empty interiors, don't know about the dlc tho because I lost interest to that piece of shit soon enough. Almost every other game is about cinematic experience, and detail such as cozy interiors is pretty much everything they have to work with. Instead ArmA keeps improving on many aspects, which those games never had. Btw, I bet A3 has more enterable buildings than BF, GTA and Skyrim combined.

The buildings have taken a backwards step. Period.

A2/OA should have set the standard from which we stay or we climb.

Not every building needs to be enter lego but the ones that are should be alive.

BIS f*ed up and if not for the modders I suspect a lot of us would have packed our bags and left by now.

BIS already did a great job moving from few enterable buildings to most enterable buldings. I would really hate to see development time wasted on fengshui in my military game. But yes to 3D editor for players to do this for themselves if they want to. Other than that, I'm thinking more different kinds of buildings would be way more important. And more detailed terrain instead of interiors.

I would also argue BF3 has just as empty interiors, don't know about the dlc tho because I lost interest to that piece of shit soon enough. Almost every other game is about cinematic experience, and detail such as cozy interiors is pretty much everything they have to work with. Instead ArmA keeps improving on many aspects, which those games never had. Btw, I bet A3 has more enterable buildings than BF, GTA and Skyrim combined.

and do you know why in arma 3 most buildings are enterable ? because 90% of the buildings are the same. there are still buildings which are not enterable for example the factory building and i remember in a early video where one of the devs flew a commanche over altis, that it was told that ALL buildings are enterable. now only 90% of the buildings are enterable but only for one reason: most of the buildings are the same model all over altis with the same empty interior. in arma 2 not all buildings where enterable but more different buildings was placed in chernarus. now most buildings are enterable but less different buildings.

look at arma 2 oa takistan/zargabad buildings. they had funiture modeled into the building models. that is better than placing funitures by 3d editor and buildings without funiture feels so unnatural and makes the detail of the buildings bad. ofcourse when bis would model funitures inside the building models, then almost every building in altis would have the same funitures placed on the same place in every room but even that is better than empty buildings.

Well said sir, my thoughts exactly.

and do you know why in arma 3 most buildings are enterable ? because 90% of the buildings are the same. there are still buildings which are not enterable for example the factory building and i remember in a early video where one of the devs flew a commanche over altis, that it was told that ALL buildings are enterable. now only 90% of the buildings are enterable but only for one reason: most of the buildings are the same model all over altis with the same empty interior. in arma 2 not all buildings where enterable but more different buildings was placed in chernarus. now most buildings are enterable but less different buildings.

look at arma 2 oa takistan/zargabad buildings. they had funiture modeled into the building models. that is better than placing funitures by 3d editor and buildings without funiture feels so unnatural and makes the detail of the buildings bad. ofcourse when bis would model funitures inside the building models, then almost every building in altis would have the same funitures placed on the same place in every room but even that is better than empty buildings.

If you had read my post I did say I would like to see more variety. It's not necessary, but it's definitely more important than furniture. Yes, Zarkabad is pretty good, but it isn't good because of furniture, it's good because it's the first map that actually looks a little bit like an actual settlement imo. It's also a relatively small map. Dunno how close to reality the "local architecture" is, but it doesn't seem nearly as close to authentic human settlement as A3 cities and towns do. A2 you have different color but solid houses and Takistan towns/cities are really nothing in comparison to what was made after it. You can't even crawl through some rooms because of the carpets. Glitch-y furniture so worth the time and effort, right?

Show me this video and where they say "all the buildings on Altis are going to be enterable", please. I remember watching it among other presentations of the game, and never came to expect more than "most buildings", because that's exactly what they ever said, iirc.

Again: This game isn't about aesthetics. It's about functionality and authenticity, which it has improved vastly over time, in my opinion.

But really, it's a matter of taste if you like the old ones better. A2 isn't going anywhere, so have fun with it until you can play Sims on Altis with a 3D editor. Just know that not everyone has the same problems you have.

Why does every building need to be enterable? I'd b happy with 60% enterable with the open ones filled as in A2/OA

Why does every building need to be enterable? I'd b happy with 60% enterable with the open ones filled as in A2/OA

Because in a settlement, every door and window should be a possible peephole. An aspect you could possibly appreciate if you ever were in a MOUT, real or exercise, or a game of airsoft or something similar. If the building is not enterable, it serves only as a prop, and in terms of functionality it could just as well not be there. Are you really playing this game for the aesthetics? There are plenty of games that are made to please your senses with wonderful props. ArmA's doing something else, and that's why I'm buying, playing and loving it. But I've repeated myself enough times to give this a rest.

Ok well give it a rest then.

And I'll keep fighting the good fight - give us furniture in buildings!

Reskin the OA buildings if necessary, but enough of the empty boxes

Ok well give it a rest then.

And I'll keep fighting the good fight - give us furniture in buildings!

Reskin the OA buildings if necessary, but enough of the empty boxes

this. or modeling funitures into the buildings and since altis use 3-4 different types of buildings, BI just need to take these 3-4 buildingmodels and edit them by adding funitures with a modeler tool, put it back into arma 3 and voila! all buildings which are enterable has now funitures.

Pretty much the upstairs of every building in Arma 3.