fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Give the man a chance chaps - he's got a job, family a real life etc... :-)

Give the man a chance chaps - he's got a job, family a real life etc... :-)

No problem with that, most of us have ;)

Download Bcombat and put the folder inside your Arma 3 directory.

This is actually an issue. The bcombat folder MUST be in the Arma 3 directory, and it MUST be named @bcombat, or it will simply not work since the mod reads an absolute path \@bcombat\config.sqf which will always require it to be on a flat hierarchy inside the Arma 3 directory. People like me that use "My Files" and/or use different folders to separate their mods are out of luck.

IIRC, the BWMod or another Bundeswehr mod did the same. It's IMO bad practice, but then, so is userconfig because it is everything but (a user's config).

BIS, the userconfig should be under the user's profile folder, not the main game folder.

Modders, please don't force people into a certain layout of installation. I recently re-installed my system and hence Arma 3, and since I had the mods externally, migration was easy.

BIS, the userconfig should be under the user's profile folder, not the main game folder.

Having it working from inside the @mod folder would be usefull too.

This is actually an issue. The bcombat folder MUST be in the Arma 3 directory, and it MUST be named @bcombat, or it will simply not work since the mod reads an absolute path \@bcombat\config.sqf which will always require it to be on a flat hierarchy inside the Arma 3 directory. People like me that use "My Files" and/or use different folders to separate their mods are out of luck.

IIRC, the BWMod or another Bundeswehr mod did the same. It's IMO bad practice, but then, so is userconfig because it is everything but (a user's config).

Modders, please don't force people into a certain layout of installation. I recently re-installed my system and hence Arma 3, and since I had the mods externally, migration was easy.

Even though I see the message 'bcombat is running' at the start of my mission it isn't actually doing anything since I sue a remote mod folder?

Even though I see the message 'bcombat is running' at the start of my mission it isn't actually doing anything since I sue a remote mod folder?

Yes, it is working normally. The point is, there is a config.sqf IN the mod itself, which is used if there isn't a single file config.sqf in the mod folder itself, but the config.sqf is only read if the mod folder is called "@bcombat" and is inside your Arma 3 main directory. Otherwise, if you are using e.g. "My Documents\Arma 3" for your addons (like is the default for Play WithSix), then the config.sqf will not be seen, and any change you make there will be ignored.

he's got a job, family a real life etc... :-)

Yes, sometimes ;)

Edited by fabrizio_T
And if you wonder what the hell the above sentence means, take a peek on GitHub page ;)

a couple of questions. Does the skill_min_player_group effect groups that the player is in, but not the leader of? Also does this variable only effect skill or accuracy as well?

I'm trying to balance out the skill for myself while playing SP missions, especially the campaign. I'm trying to balance the skill of the OPFOR so I'm not aimbotted right away, but also that my guys on my team is not firing away from 50 feet and missing everything. It seems that once I get the OPFOR skill balance out so that I die when I'm stupid, but have a chance to survive 2-4 vs a lot more like most SP missions that my teammates aren't killing anything and I end up killing most of the enemies.

Basically I don't want a COD style SP romp, but at the same time have smart teammates.

a couple of questions. Does the skill_min_player_group effect groups that the player is in, but not the leader of? Also does this variable only effect skill or accuracy as well?

It affects any units in the group of the player, whatever his role.

It affects all the skills, accuracy included.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

NOTICE

Please consider that only GitHub version of bCombat was updated to v0.18 BETA.

Armaholic updated release will be notified soon.

Steam / WithSIX versions need different packaging and will follow later.

Thanks for informing us about the updated version mate :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Just tried the latest version Fab and it is FAB ! Well done mate. bCombat back to the old deadliness ! Just set up two quick firefights with 3x Rifle Squads BLUFOR and OPFOR. Really nice to watch.

Fabrizio nice to see you back and have some free time as well. Managed to play for 30 mins last night, feels good as the AI is more responsive, maybe due to the morale tweak. Thanks for the good work and make the game much more enjoyable!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

after testing i can say this is awesome so much responsive !!

Just tried the latest version Fab and it is FAB ! Well done mate. bCombat back to the old deadliness ! Just set up two quick firefights with 3x Rifle Squads BLUFOR and OPFOR. Really nice to watch.

I tested it today too and it was good to see the grenades & smoke flying, use of cover, response to fire. Blufor won first time round with only 1 casualty.

The vanilla AI test didn't finish. There was one survivor each and they passed each other. The rest died in the middle of the road where they stood up to return fire.

There's no comparison really. Bcombat is tons better than vanilla which leaves a lot to be desired.

@fabrizio_T

Can you (or anyone) tell me if there is a BCombat-compatible way to prevent an AI unit from going prone? (So I can put them in towers and windows as sentries without them hiding/blocking their line of fire)

The setunitpos command seems to be over-ridden by BCombat.

If there is no current way to do it- is this something you will work on soon? (pleeease)

@fabrizio_T

Can you (or anyone) tell me if there is a BCombat-compatible way to prevent an AI unit from going prone? (So I can put them in towers and windows as sentries without them hiding/blocking their line of fire)

If there is no current way to do it- is this something you will work on soon? (pleeease)

I definitely second that. The stance, if not completely suppressed, should weigh up between effect and cover.

@fabrizio_T

In my experience using the overridable alternative command setUnitPosWeak gave mixed results.

However it was quite some time ago. I'll give it a try again.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

I definitely second that. The stance, if not completely suppressed, should weigh up between effect and cover.

Please consider that units choose their stance already (standing, crouching or prone) depending on situation.

I agree that in very specific cases it may be useful to be able to force units' stance though.

@fabrizio_T : is there any chance you make AI calls for support if they have near friendlies on the map if they are taking heavy beat or the opposite forces bigger? like calling for CAS or arty&mortars or any available units? because your mod seems complete on how the AI deals with almost all situations but it only lacks for this feature , wish you all the best :)

@fabrizio_T : is there any chance you make AI calls for support if they have near friendlies on the map if they are taking heavy beat or the opposite forces bigger? like calling for CAS or arty&mortars or any available units? because your mod seems complete on how the AI deals with almost all situations but it only lacks for this feature , wish you all the best :)

About reinforcements, radios will fill the gap.

It's quite some time i'm developing the feature since it is tricky to have done it right, however development goes on.

Mortars can be an interesting feature even for group level tactics.

Some time ago i made a script allowing single foot units to transport, assemble, disassemble and fire mortars on their own.

It also allowed also player to direct their fire (point and click target), when playing as leader.

All in all it was a raw piece of code, but it may be worth refining.

I did a test last night with MCC's GAIA and bCombat .... the combination of these two are AMAZING. Groups properly flanking (although there was an interesting issue with a MG following a Hunter!) and just the most amazing firefights !

1. Will this work with ZEUS placed units?

2. How does the AI handle buildings? I use the ARES mod as ZEUS to garrison units in buildings an I do not want them to go prone or start wandering off.

3. Added to point 2, Can this ai feature be toggled per unit? So I can still keep AI stiff and motionless if I want it to and enable it for when I want specific units to be more autonomous?

EDIT: Overlooked that this is for SP only.

Edited by alleycat