fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Damn it, When I open the config file to config how I want it, it opens i notepad in a garbled mess everything is horizontal and not vertical and I can't figure out why

Notepad can't handle the line breaks properly. Use notepad++. There's a reason why so many people use it (hint - it's @#$%ing excellent).

Thakns, another problem I can't get the damnn mod to run anymore. I use PWS I know I have the mod installed prperly but it does not show up when I start arma all other mods do not sure what the problem is here.

Thakns, another problem I can't get the damnn mod to run anymore. I use PWS I know I have the mod installed prperly but it does not show up when I start arma all other mods do not sure what the problem is here.

The problem is probably PWS. It's an excellent system, but it has a habit of installing configs in the wrong spot. You are really better off manually installing bCombat.

Hi fabrizio_T!

I don't know if you have ever used tpw's mods collection, but I have created and since then been mantaining a GUI that allows easier and safer tweaking of those mods' config file. Some screens can be found on the GUI's github page.

If you are interested, I can do the same thing for your mod (or, more correctly speaking, your config file): it would require close to no investment on your part (you can ask tpw about this). Let me know!

Yay!

ooo Gliptal.. Great idea and amazing offer it gets taken up... Would be superb to be able to quickly tweak through all the adjustable options with a nice Gui interface...

GOOD idea.

SJ

Yep, a nice GUI would be awesome for this great piece of work.

Hi fabrizio_T!

I don't know if you have ever used tpw's mods collection, but I have created and since then been mantaining a GUI that allows easier and safer tweaking of those mods' config file. Some screens can be found on the GUI's github page.

If you are interested, I can do the same thing for your mod (or, more correctly speaking, your config file): it would require close to no investment on your part (you can ask tpw about this). Let me know!

Yay!

I'd say why not, as long it's requiring no-effort for me, i'm short on time :) ?

I think it would be useful, hence a welcome addition.

Great, I'll start working on it.

Yay!

Great, I'll start working on it.

Yay!

Yes, thanks Gliptal.

Allright I'm nearly done. In the meantime, I have to ask to fabrizio_T for the only involvement he is going to have with this: I need you to modify your config.sqf so that these charachters

//><

are inserted between each section, at the very start, and at the end of the file.

It should end up like this:

[b]//><[/b]
// -----------------------
// CORE bCombat FEATURES

// Description: toggle bCombat on (true) or off (false)

[...]

bcombat_degradation_distance = 1500;                // (Meters) some bCombat features are cut when some unit is farther than this from player
bcombat_skill_multiplier = 1;                        //
[b]//><[/b]
// CORE bDetect FEATURES

bdetect_bullet_max_distance = 750;                  // (Meters) Maximum travelled distance for a bullet (to cause suppression)
bdetect_bullet_max_lifespan = 2;                     // (Seconds) Maximum lifespan for bullet
bdetect_bullet_max_proximity = 6.5;                 // (Meters) Maximum distance from unit for bullet (to cause suppression)
bdetect_bullet_max_height =  6.5;                      // (Meters) Maximum height on ground for bullet (to cause suppression)
[b]//><[/b]
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// bCombat SUPPRESSION CONFIGURATION
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// Description: Bullet penalty

[...]

bcombat_penalty_recovery = 2;                         // (Percent) %
[b]//><[/b]
// bCombat OPTIONAL FEATURES CONFIGURATION

// Description:
// Triggered:

[...]

// Triggered: on unit creation / spawn
// Effect: any night vision device is removed from unit

bcombat_remove_nvgoggles = false;
[b]//><[/b]
// bCombat MISC CALLS

if ( bcombat_dev_mode ) then
{
   [] spawn bcombat_fnc_debug_text; // Uncomment this line to activare bCombat debug text overlays (as alternative to bcombat_fnc_debug_balloons or bcombat_fnc_fps)

[...]

// bdetect_startup_hint = false;
// bcombat_startup_hint = false;
[b]//><[/b]

You can add any blank or commented lines you want before or after the //><, provided you don't move around or change the order of the parameters everything will work. Thank you!

Yay!

And here it is. It took me some time since I directly ported from TPW SETTINGS, and had to blind code for quite a while because of this. The longest part though was dividing the 'Other Options' section in multiple subsections, reordering the parameters, as well as rewriting the tooltips based on the .sqf comments.

I did my best to test the whole thing but the sheer amount of massed parameters may have led to some bugs slipping in, just tell me if you find any.

Anyone interested in using this please take some time to go through all the README: it will answer most of your question (I hope) and also explain how to correctly use the GUI. I'll copy it here for convenience, but I suggest reading it directly on github since it's more nicely formatted there.

You can use the GUI with an already modified config.sqf, just make sure that before starting the program for the first time you add those

//><

where needed, see the post above this one: no need to do this more that once though, unless you download an .sqf that does NOT have those charachters in. Once done, from then on the GUI will parse and load your values automatically.

Enough talking.

BCOMBAT SETTINGS

[1.0.0]

- first working release

bCombat Settings

======

This small program provides an easy-to-use and efficient graphical interface to configure bCombat. This AI mod is close to required for a thorough enjoyement of [ArmA III](http://www.arma3.com/), thanks to the impressive array of enhancements and bug fixes it brings to the otherwise quirky and unefficient AI.

What the program does is to simply act as a graphical version of `config.sqf` that [fabrizio_T](http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?14585-fabrizio_T) himself has already set up to configure and fine-tune his mod. Being coded in Java the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is required: luckily most PCs and Laptops already have it installed by default.

Changelog

======

[1.0.0]

- first working release

Install

======

[fabrizio_T](http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?14585-fabrizio_T)'s download should already have embedded the latest `BCOMBAT SETTINGS.jar`, placed in the correct folder.

If for any reason you don't find the latest version there:

- Download it manually from [git](https://github.com/Gliptal/bCombat-Settings) using the 'Download ZIP' button in the right pane

- Extract the `.jar` file from the `/executable` folder

- Place it alongside `config.sqg` in the mod's `bCombat-0.16/` folder.

The `.jar` works exactly like an `.exe`, hence you can make shortcuts or similar.

Usage

======

- MAIN WINDOW:

- Shows all available bCombat sections

- Clicking on a section button will open the relevant section window

- SECTION WINDOW

- Changes to every value can be easily made by either editing it directly or by selecting an appropriate one via checkboxes or comboboxes

- Each parameter has tooltips available on mouse hover, with a description on what it does and/or what values are acceptable

- GENERAL

- 'APPLY': saves any changes you made by writing them in the config file

- 'REVERT': cancels any changes you made by reloading the values that were set just before the program was run

- PRESETS

- 'SAVE': pick a name and save the current parameter values as a new preset

- 'DELETE': permanently delete the selected preset

Limitations

======

- JVM is required. Most PCs come with it installed by default, and if you don't have it you should install it (unless you have a valid reason not to).

- `config.sqf` must be in the same folder with `BCOMBAT SETTINGS.jar` in order for the program to work.

- If you wish to simply rename a preset you must select it, delete it, and save it again with the new name.

- Presets are not backwards compatible: you can make them so by adding the right lines at the right places manually (just edit the .PRST files with a text editor).

- The debugging section still has to be edited from `config.sqf` itself: GUI editing will be added later.

- Sometimes the GUI may seem unresponsive, especially after multiple subsequent and quick clicks: wait a few moments before attempting any other action if this happens.

- TECHNICAL: If using cmd to run the program, it must be executed from the folder it resides in.

Next Steps

======

1. Debugging section

2. Mutual exclusion implementation

3. Inserted value check

Progress

======

04/07/14 | [1.0.0](https://github.com/Gliptal/bCombat-Settings/tree/1.0.0) | first working release

Links

======

- [bCombat @ BI Forums](http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171436-OPEN-BETA-SP-bCombat-infantry-AI-Mod)

- [fabrizio_T profile @ BI Forums](http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?14585-fabrizio_T)

- [ArmA III official site](http://www.arma3.com/)

Credits

======

All credits for bCombat go to its author [fabrizio_T](http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?14585-fabrizio_T). Special thanks go to Bohemia Interactive, that have proven to be one of, if not the best game studios around.

Thank you also to anyone that helped me in the BI Forums, be it a simple thanks or an helpful suggestion.

Yes I know screens are missing. :p

Hope it makes things easier for you guys! :D

Yay!

You really are a legend Gliptal. I'm sure Fabrizio and the addon users appreciate your efforts as much as I do.

^^

I second that emotion! Thanks Gliptal.

If I understand it correctly, Gliptal, this is an external interface not an in-game interface, right?

Exactly. Just place the .jar where it belongs and double click like a normal .exe. You can also make a shortcut if needed.

Yay!

Exactly. Just place the .jar where it belongs and double click like a normal .exe. You can also make a shortcut if needed.

Yay!

Thank you Gliptal!

I'm traveling around and got no chance to fiddle with ArmA3, i'll do as soon as i get back.

Have a nice WE.

Fabrizio, do you plan to improve behaviour of infantry squads with motorized/mechanized units?

Currently they send their vehicles on suicide missions or continuously embark/disembark their vehicle in order to move just few meters.

In short, it is a complete, almost unusable mess.

Thank you in advance for your answer. Love your mod.

I think that bcombat stops the new patch's stamina from doing anything. Odd, wasn't expecting *this* mod to do anything with that.

I think that bcombat stops the new patch's stamina from doing anything. Odd, wasn't expecting *this* mod to do anything with that.

Go into bcombat sqf...

Scroll down towards the end of sqf,find the setting that tells bcombat to ignore vanilla fatigue settings,set it to false.

Im seeing something quite odd happening dont know if this is the new update or not..My team leader will see a enemy and I quote from them this is what happens...There's a enemy 400 meters in calm manner then 5-10 sec later enemy 400 meters in a firm voice then he gives the orders to take them out. Meanwhile the guys on the team dont even react to the first sighting when he first announces they are there. So this is very strange any ideas thanks?

The default settings for bcombat mean that they only react within 250m. Unless you have changed the settings, that will only be the vanilla AI working.

I had an engagement at 300m and when I increased the relevant settings to 300m, there was a noticeable improvement in response to me firing on them.

I changed three settings, detection range, fire back range and a third setting that means that they try to flank you. I used Gliptal's Bcombat settings app which made it all very simple.

After changing the settings, they actually fired back and tried to flank me, which resulted in half the squad managing to approach my position.

The default settings for bcombat mean that they only react within 250m. Unless you have changed the settings, that will only be the vanilla AI working.

I had an engagement at 300m and when I increased the relevant settings to 300m, there was a noticeable improvement in response to me firing on them.

I changed three settings, detection range, fire back range and a third setting that means that they try to flank you. I used Gliptal's Bcombat settings app which made it all very simple.

After changing the settings, they actually fired back and tried to flank me, which resulted in half the squad managing to approach my position.

What was your values you used for detection range and fire back range thanks...ps how do I install this gui thing Gliptal made not understanding what folder to place this in...

What was your values you used for detection range and fire back range thanks...ps how do I install this gui thing Gliptal made not understanding what folder to place this in...
Erm, really?

From https://github.com/Gliptal/bCombat-Settings#install (link in my signature)

fabrizio_T's download should already have embedded the latest BCOMBAT SETTINGS.jar, placed in the correct folder.

If for any reason you don't find the latest version there:

- Download it manually from git using the 'Download ZIP' button in the right pane

- Extract the .jar file from the /executable folder

- Place it alongside config.sqg in the mod's bCombat-0.16/ folder.

- The .jar works exactly like an .exe, hence you can make shortcuts or similar.

Yay!