wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

I know Lingor is in Beta, but will be awesome once fully released and indexed as well  :)   It seems to have a varitity of camps and cities like Altis

sry if this is a repeat question. But can the enemy AI commander handle more than 1 forced faction? like both RHS russian forces?

If so do I just pick which faction the commander can use for each objective setUp?

thanks

Another question for our folks at alivemod. Im trying to build a mission where blufor has a foothold and takes over the entire map. Its a small map. Both opfor and blufor have all objectives sync'd and I have blufor set to occupy(tested with invasion but to easy for enemy to recap), opf set to asymm. I start with a custom obj with a few groups and the log mod (testing with dynamic group amount and infinite as well as packets vs constant). So about 2-3 hours into my mission blufor will have taken and held all local obj. and they stay there.

As im going around to different cities and capturing them I expect 3 things which I'm not seeing. Perhaps it hasnt been featured yet, or we are supposed to do this on our own?

1) I expect alive to spawn in more groups as more objectives are taken

2) I expect alive to reinforce the objectives I've captured.

3) I expect alive to attempt to occupy the objectives I've given it.

At this point the opcom fortifies the first few objectives. Once it runs out of groups it sits idle. I dont know how to get it to spawn more groups to continue advance. Am I simply using alive incorrectly?

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Question: Is there a way to specify a type of transport and location for the "Player Comat Logistics" - as we can with the "Transport" and "CAS" modules ??? Also - is there a way to get the helicopter to leave after it does a supply drop as they seem to just stay where ever they land...

Question: When you do a helo insertion - how do you get at the supplies ? The "inventory" screen doesn't show my requested supplies on the helo...

Question: Can the "Transport" module use ground vehicles ?

Question: Can you group multiple aircraft in the "CAS" or "Transport" module ?

Great MOD - thanks for all you guys do...

Regards,

Scott

@jandrews1 - yes. Take a look at the Military AI Commander module in the editor. Simply add the classname of everyone custom faction you want that Commander to control ["faction1,"faction2","faction3"] in the override box.

jeff_bis - ALiVE AI Commanders will never spawn 'new' groups, they will only request replacements for existing groups that have been destroyed (i.e. Logistics will deliver Battle Casualty Replacement and not Reinforcements). You can override this as a player by using the Player Combat Logistics interface, which gives you access to the same Logistics supply chain as the AI Commander (and the same Force Pool). With this you can manually request reinforcements (actual new groups) and hand them off to the AI Commander.

Another question for our folks at alivemod. Im trying to build a mission where blufor has a foothold and takes over the entire map. Its a small map. Both opfor and blufor have all objectives sync'd and I have blufor set to occupy(tested with invasion but to easy for enemy to recap), opf set to asymm. I start with a custom obj with a few groups and the log mod (testing with dynamic group amount and infinite as well as packets vs constant). So about 2-3 hours into my mission blufor will have taken and held all local obj. and they stay there.

As im going around to different cities and capturing them I expect 3 things which I'm not seeing. Perhaps it hasnt been featured yet, or we are supposed to do this on our own?

At this point the opcom fortifies the first few objectives. Once it runs out of groups it sits idle. I dont know how to get it to spawn more groups to continue advance. Am I simply using alive incorrectly?

OPCOM will attempt to reinforce captured objectives. Depending on the module's control type, it will send usually 1-2 groups (if available) to the location. If you setup military logistics and select the "dynamic" forcepool mode, it will gain more forcepool each time you successfully capture an objective.

Hi Folks,

Question: Is there a way to specify a type of transport and location for the "Player Comat Logistics" - as we can with the "Transport" and "CAS" modules ??? Also - is there a way to get the helicopter to leave after it does a supply drop as they seem to just stay where ever they land...

Also - when you do a helo insertion - how do you get at the supplies ? The "inventory" screen doesn't show my requested supplies on the helo...

Great MOD - thanks for all you guys do...

Regards,

Scott

You can specify the vehicles used for Player Combat Logistics via a script method

http://pastebin.com/9TAx1y0G

The vehicles can be defined on a per-faction basis. They will fallback to a side-default if there are no faction specific vehicles.

The helicopter should leave after the cargo is unloaded and a short delay, could be bugged.

You can get the supplies by opening the ALiVE app menu, going into Player Logistics and selecting the "Activate Actions" key. After that you should be able to walk up to the vehicle and select a "Unload Cargo" option via the scroll wheel menu.

@jandrews1 - yes. Take a look at the Military AI Commander module in the editor. Simply add the classname of everyone custom faction you want that Commander to control ["faction1,"faction2","faction3"] in the override box.

nv. got it. thanks

Yes, only one faction per placement module. Put down two Placement module, with as separate faction in each, then sync them both the AI Commander. You can get funky with different TAORs for each placement module too if you want - the AI Commander will know about every objective (he's synced to both modules) but you can control where each faction spawns initially.

Thanks guys. I'll tinker with dropping people in and passing them off. Once they are passed opcom is allowed to replace them when they die (reinforce dynamic groups?) 

Spyder, yes right now I notice the only time I get messages when the force pool increases is when I complete one of the opcom tasks. Considering the blufor opcom usually breaks after 1-2 tasks thats not the best method. By breaking I mean it stops sending new tasks and it stops moving blufor groups around and even reinforce. But this may be because asymm is out of control and theres a billion groups. Trying to figure out how to limit that. Its a small map and the opfor only start with 60 placed and civ is med hostility. It seems to explode fast. 

But I did not get a message when I took a town. And recently log gave me, a "no location for insertion" message. Which was weird, desert map, I could see for 1 km in all dir and no enemy near base.  

Totally agree with you. I've been trying to do this but to no avail. But what i eventually did to make a constant flow of ai groups attack sectors, was make sectors then used the standard ai module spawn. Now i have continual ai groups attack my sectors.

Alive can you please make this part of your development as it would really make it the best!

Yes, only one faction per placement module. Put down two Placement module, with as separate faction in each, then sync them both the AI Commander. You can get funky with different TAORs for each placement module too if you want - the AI Commander will know about every objective (he's synced to both modules) but you can control where each faction spawns initially.

Thanks Spyder...

I just figured this out last night - the tooltip in the Placement Modules - shows multiple factions separated by commas - doesn't seem to work and I went the route listed above...

I'm getting pretty familiar with Alive and can pretty quickly setup a major campaign on a new map - using most of the Alive modules...

A couple more questions from my Alive experience so far - if you don't mind...

Has anyone gotten the "Convoy" supply of the Player Combat Logistics to work ? I've gotten the para drop and helo methods to work - however - when attempting the road convoy - nothing ever shows up...

Hah - the Military Logistic module dumped 3/4 of my reinforcements in the ocean via parachute... I only hold a small portion of the island - is there a better way to use this module to save the reinforcements ???

Is there a way to keep the helicopters from spawning in the covered hangars (Altis) - as the player can't get them out and I have yet to see an AI fly them out - also the Chinooks are too big and seem to explode on spawn... I tried using blacklists and placing helo pads on the ramp but it doesn't seem to work... Do the blacklists have to be truly square or do rectangles work ?

I get a lot of explosions on spawn of vehicles - other than the Chinoooks in hangars - is there a way to prevent/minimize this effect ?

If I use a placement module and don't link it to the AI Commander while setting a TAOR - will the troops just stay in the TAOR doing their job and not go out on assigned missions ( like guarding gates and high value targets ) ? Like setting a zone and using the "Fortify" option in MCC...

Is there a way to setup a true amphibious landing with Alive ??? I was thinking I would have to to use alive for the OPFOR - then manually create the assaulting amphibious group using traditional methods - is there a better way ???

Thanks for your patience if these have been asked before - I have done a lot of searching trying to find the answers else ware...

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Spyder...

I just figured this out last night - the tooltip in the Placement Modules - shows multiple factions separated by commas - doesn't seem to work and I went the route listed above...

I'm getting pretty familiar with Alive and can pretty quickly setup a major campaign on a new map - using most of the Alive modules...

A couple more questions from my Alive experience so far - if you don't mind...

Has anyone gotten the "Convoy" supply of the Player Combat Logistics to work ? I've gotten the para drop and helo methods to work - however - when attempting the road convoy - nothing ever shows up...

Hah - the Military Logistic module dumped 3/4 of my reinforcements in the ocean via parachute... I only hold a small portion of the island - is there a better way to use this module to save the reinforcements ???

Is there a way to keep the helicopters from spawning in the covered hangars (Altis) - as the player can't get them out and I have yet to see an AI fly them out - also the Chinooks are too big and seem to explode on spawn... I tried using blacklists and placing helo pads on the ramp but it doesn't seem to work... Do the blacklists have to be truly square or do rectangles work ?

I get a lot of explosions on spawn of vehicles - other than the Chinoooks in hangars - is there a way to prevent/minimize this effect ?

If I use a placement module and don't link it to the AI Commander while setting a TAOR - will the troops just stay in the TAOR doing their job and not go out on assigned missions ( like guarding gates and high value targets ) ? Like setting a zone and using the "Fortify" option in MCC...

Is there a way to setup a true amphibious landing with Alive ??? I was thinking I would have to to use alive for the OPFOR - then manually create the assaulting amphibious group using traditional methods - is there a better way ???

Thanks for your patience if these have been asked before - I have done a lot of searching trying to find the answers else ware...

Regards,

Scott

There is an issue that seems to be causing player logistics to sometimes take forever to arrive, of course using convoy also opens yourself up to the AI driving themselves into walls :)

Profiles being dumped into the ocean shouldn't be a problem by next patch since they will instantly teleport to the nearest piece of land once they are spawned in. However, if you are near the base when they are dropped then they'll go into the ocean anyway since they won't be despawned. You can get around this by making using the Custom Military Objective module to create a base away from the sea with a really high priority (999) which then should be the primary insertion point for BCR's.

Depends on a few things. If there is an opcom set to control the faction that those units belong to then they will be sent on missions. If the placement module is not synced to the commander however, they will never return there because the objectives in that area won't be known to the commander. If there is no opcom set to control the units' faction, then they will simply mosey about doing small patrols around their spawn area.

Rectangles work just fine for TAORs and blacklists. You could manually blacklist the classnames of the hangars that the helicopters are spawning in. Here is an example on how to do this, you can either remove or add hangar classnames to each array to allow air units to spawn there. The example shown is for Stratis and Altis so if those are the maps you are using then you can try removing one of the hangar classnames in each array.

As for vehicles other than ambient air vehicles exploding on spawn, you can try reducing or turning off ambient vehicles in some of the modules. Some maps have very poor layouts for ambient vehicles to spawn well and this can lead to explosions when they spawn on top of an object. There is already some work done inside the ambient vehicle code that should prevent some cases of this occuring and even rule out bad spots from spawning a vehicle two times in the same mission but it's not perfect.

Right now there isn't really much possibility to do this. There is an idea/possible future feature for it but right now it's just that, an idea. There is also a severe lack of vanilla assets to pull this off so it would almost certainly require the use of other mods to get anywhere.

Hi Spyder,

Once again I thank you for your time - sir.... Plenty to digest and play with... Alive is truly an amazing mod that just seems to go deeper each time I use it...

Regards,

Scott

Hi guys! Looking to start up another ALiVE campaign around the end of next month and the map isn't indexed, just out of curiosity, the wiki mentions you can still use ALiVE if you manually place military custom objectives. Is this just for military objectives, for example the map is Mogadishu, would the civilian objectives spawner work or would I have to manually place the enemy units and sync them up to the virtual AI system.  :)

Hi guys! Looking to start up another ALiVE campaign around the end of next month and the map isn't indexed, just out of curiosity, the wiki mentions you can still use ALiVE if you manually place military custom objectives. Is this just for military objectives, for example the map is Mogadishu, would the civilian objectives spawner work or would I have to manually place the enemy units and sync them up to the virtual AI system.  :)

Civilian objectives won't work. Only (I think) CQB will function properly since it reads individual buildings instead of indexed clusters. You can still use military objectives for civilian objectives in a pinch though. If you really want them to be civilian objectives, you can use this script snippet (Cjb_addObjectiveToSides) and set the known sides to whichever you want and the objective type to CIV.

• Like 1

Thanks spyder, I'll give it a try out later, hopefully Mogadishu will be at a stable release by then so I won't have to but that's pretty handy to know, thanks!  :D

I don't know if this is a bug report or feature request :)

Player requested reinforcement arriving by paradrop are of course subject to wind.

However this means that if we want to call in for example a squad to static defend a specific location, they are blown off position, and just stay where they land.

It would be nice that paradropped units first go to the marked insertion point, and start their job (reinforce, static defence, whatever) from there.

Right come on you you ALiVE experts....

I'm messing with an Asymmetric Commander OpFor commander.. It's on the Kunduz map. OpFor is Leights Opfor Afgan Rebels.

No BluFor Commander - simply a small Player led FOB.

Starting position is 3 single Placed Ai Oprfor units and then a 2 x 2 Group Alive module spawns.

have left the server running over night, approx 20 hours and as there have been no BluFor patrolling etc the Asymmetric Commander has now recruited >300 Groups, all happily profiled, either around Civilian objectives or manning Ambushes, Roadblocks etc.  

My Question :

When will he stop - how can we control the max Insurgency level ? 329 groups seems a little nuts on this map. I can only imagine what it would be like on Takistan or even Reshmaan etc... 1000's !

Cheers for guidance...

SJ

Insurgents are recruited from the civilian population. It takes around 20 mins to coerce and equip a new insurgent so they can create around 3 an hour until they run out of civs to recruit. A town with 20 civs, left unpatrolled by BLUFOR, will eventually be terrorised enough that all 20 civs have been recruited (though we still leave 20 civs in town for the sake of immersion, Asymmetric won't recruit any more). Keeping civpop friendly by patrolling and killing insurgents will reduce the rate at which recruitment centres appear. Leaving them unprotected will encourage them to join the insurgency.

You can reduce the number of civs available (either directly or by using TAORs to stop them spawning in some areas). Not sure if it's in release yet, but we've also implemented an option to pause Asymmetric (and other modules) when no players are connected or start Asymmetric with a number of insurgency sites already established so you have a bit more control on the rate at which it spreads.

Edit: though checking the code we spotted a not entirely unrelated bug, so thanks for bringing it up!

• Like 2

Hmm something seems wrong then...

YQlHToR.png

There aren't THAT many Civilians....

Latest count is 330 + Groups and growing :-)

Edit: Unless the exxx number is not a group count but a "spawn Count" as it seems to have littered the map with Ieds & fake ieds...

xRy9Btp.png

Not a bad thing in itself - but I'm interested in the long term stability of such a mission - Over 3700 objects at last count according to zeus - That's a LOT of piles or rubbish and Tyres :-)

I don't know if this is a bug report or feature request :)

Player requested reinforcement arriving by paradrop are of course subject to wind.

However this means that if we want to call in for example a squad to static defend a specific location, they are blown off position, and just stay where they land.

It would be nice that paradropped units first go to the marked insertion point, and start their job (reinforce, static defence, whatever) from there.

I have the same problem. They drift miles away and get killed before joining my squad. Alive team any chance ti improve this?

Is there a sneak peak of what to expect in the new update due? Can't wait to see new changes to symmetrical commander.

I have a suggestion though regarding this game mode......

Any way we can get the good affects of wiping out HQ, IED factories and roadblocks etc by just lifting the equipment, ammoboxes and barricades etc with out having to level everything with explosives?

I feel blowing up civs houses just to get rid of some furniture is a bit extreme in my hearts and minds missions :)