Sign in to follow this  
dharbert

Really, BIS?

Look anywhere on the BIS website and you will see them stating multiple times how ARMA is the "most realistic military simulator ever created". Their words, not mine.

Well, guess what? I just dropped an IFV from 3,000 feet in the air. You know what happened? That's right, absolutely nothing. It hit the ground at 150 km/h, landed upright, and the AI driver kept right on trucking without a bit of damage.

Interestingly enough, a helicopter (which weighs much, much less than a tank) reaches a free fall speed of about 400 km/h before it hits the ground, but the IFV (a tank) only reached 150 km/h before it hit the ground. Very realistic there.

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:41 ----------

Oh, this gets even better. I just dropped a cluster of 6 tanks in close proximity from a height of 1000 meters. They fell to the ground, bounced off of each other, bounced around a few more times, most of them landed upright, none of them got damaged, and they rejoined a proper formation....lol

I guess BIS thinks tanks are supposed to be invincible bouncy rubber balls that just happen to be able to shoot at things too.

Yeah, that's why it's best to look at the game as a huge sandbox military shooter & not as an simulator. If you do, (if you know what simulation means), you will be very disappointed. I really enjoy the game though, I tend to not let these quirks bother me.

All realism in the game is null and void if some aspects of the simulation are less than thoroughly implemented. BI should know that and remove all mentions of realism from all official descriptions of the game.

Sorry but that's beyond a simulation request - I'd rather the friggen thing blew up than bounced, drive away whistling Dixie.

Back to the drawing board, guys.

I've just found the most "realistic" feature yet. I've heard people saying that this game is supposed to simulate realistic ground troop combat, not vehicles or aircraft. Well, I fired up the editor, entered the game as a soldier, dropped a grenade directly at my feet, barely took any damage and was able to walk it off and heal myself. Now THAT is realistic.

You have already created a thread about throwing vehicles from 1000 meters.

Even if I could even understand the point of the complain of the previous one, that has been proven false. Because helicopters fly... But why would you want to throw tanks from that altitude or other vehicles? I mean, whats the point?

I guess that BI has not implemented tank/IFV damage from falling from really high altitudes, because it's not gonna happen in-game.

On the other hand, the title is not descriptive at all.

Haha thats kind of a weird gripe to have about lack of simulation. I was expecting medical system complaints or something not dropping tanks from the sky - I mean the game isn't really designed for that kind of arbitrary stuff.

I do wonder why tanks and ground vehicles in general seem to be so light. I mean its relatively easy to get air in an ifrit by just hitting a bump? I thought Physx would have gotten rid of the whole moon gravity thing?

You have already created a thread about throwing vehicles from 1000 meters.

Even if I could even understand the point of the complain of the previous one, that has been proven false. Because helicopters fly... But why would you want to throw tanks from that altitude or other vehicles? I mean, whats the point?

I guess that BI has not implemented tank/IFV damage from falling from really high altitudes, because it's not gonna happen in-game.

On the other hand, the title is not descriptive at all.

The lack of realism isn't restricted to just dropping vehicles from high altitudes.

I entered the editor as a soldier, looked down at the ground, dropped a grenade directly at my feet and survived and was able to heal myself and walk away. I did this 10 times and survived each and every time. Now, what do you think would really happen to you if you dropped a grenade at your feet and stared at it until it went off in your face?

This is the kind of crap that I'm talking about.

Do you really need to drop tanks from the sky to realize its not realistic. Try doing something realistic and commenting how the game then responds. Comments with "the most" and "ever!", please, who cares.

I mean soldiers don't bleed, and have faks, my spell check had it right, fake. Not that I hate the game, it's needs to grow abit. It still very impressive.

i might get a warning for this, sorry but: AAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahah! This is the most funny "complain" thread i've ever seen! Droping tanks from the sky doesn't damage them, woooow!

In what simulation game, can you trow tanks off the sky, and they are geting destroyed? Is that even rilevant at all?

Really, dharbert?

There are sheer drop areas around the Agia Marina and Im sure others as well -tanks and probably more importantly, crew should take damage.

i might get a warning for this, sorry but: AAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahah! This is the most funny "complain" thread i've ever seen! Droping tanks from the sky doesn't damage them, woooow!

In what simulation game, can you trow tanks off the sky, and they are geting destroyed? Is that even rilevant at all?

Really, dharbert?

It's not just a simulation problem, it's a coding problem. If you drop an armored vehicle from a high altitude, it doesn't get damaged at all. However, if you drop a vehicle, such as a HEMTT, from a high altitude, it will explode quite spectacularly once it hits the ground. It doesn't even have to be a vehicle. You can place yourself in a static mortar, drop yourself from 1000 m, take no damage from the fall, and exit the static mortar and go about your business.

As far as vehicles and tanks getting dropped from the sky, I guess you've never heard of IFV's, hummers or support vehicles getting air dropped into a combat theater huh?

As far as vehicles and tanks getting dropped from the sky, I guess you've never heard of IFV's, hummers or support vehicles getting air dropped into a combat theater huh?

Armies tend to attach parachutes to the dropped vehicles, and they only drop light vehicles :rolleyes:

Oh well, all of these things and annoyances can be solved the same way we've been solving them for 10+ years. The game studio cranks out a half-finished product and it's up to the players and modders to make it into what it was supposed to be in the first place. BIS has never been able to provide anywhere near as good of content as our playerbase has. Operation Flashpoint, Arma, Arma 2 and Arma 3 are all exactly the same game. The only thing that sets them apart are the efforts of the modding community.

How dare they call this game a simulation! We should definitely start a class action lawsuit, man.

I don't even know what that means, to be honest, but we should do it, you know? Whatever it is.

Because this piece of shit game isn't a simulation at all. I mean, I dunno if anyone at BIS has ever been in the military, but when I was there, all we did was drop tanks out of the sky. Like, we'd wake up and I'd be all, "Hey, sarge, what are we doin' today?" And he'd be like, "DROPPIN' TANKS OUTTA THE SKIES AGAIN, PRIVATE!" And then I'd be all like, "Why are you always yelling? All you ever do is yell. Are you aware of this?" And he'd start weeping and tell me about how his wife just left him or something. I dunno, I was always too busy thinking about how awesome it is when tanks explode after falling out of the sky.

Anyway, all we're asking is that BIS waste their time coding for every single situation that would never arise in a gaming session where the intent was to simulate a real war experience.

Like, seriously. What does BIS even do ever? Add beautiful fucking light shafts and new scripting commands that are insanely useful? That's just dumb. Give us our realistic physics for unrealistic situations, god damn it! I'm sick of driving my tanks on the ground! What is this, Ground-Tank-Simulator 2012?

How dare they call this game a simulation! We should definitely start a class action lawsuit, man.

I don't even know what that means, to be honest, but we should do it, you know? Whatever it is.

Because this piece of shit game isn't a simulation at all. I mean, I dunno if anyone at BIS has ever been in the military, but when I was there, all we did was drop tanks out of the sky. Like, we'd wake up and I'd be all, "Hey, sarge, what are we doin' today?" And he'd be like, "DROPPIN' TANKS OUTTA THE SKIES AGAIN, PRIVATE!" And then I'd be all like, "Why are you always yelling? All you ever do is yell. Are you aware of this?" And he'd start weeping and tell me about how his wife just left him or something. I dunno, I was always too busy thinking about how awesome it is when tanks explode after falling out of the sky.

Anyway, all we're asking is that BIS waste their time coding for every single situation that would never arise in a gaming session where the intent was to simulate a real war experience.

Like, seriously. What does BIS even do ever? Add beautiful fucking light shafts and new scripting commands that are insanely useful? That's just dumb. Give us our realistic physics for unrealistic situations, god damn it! I'm sick of driving my tanks on the ground! What is this, Ground-Tank-Simulator 2012?

aww, i was afraid of army, but if i knew, i would drop the tanks of the sky, i would be first to join! gawdamn! :(

More of this, please. MOAR!

Although i also believe your topic title makes your point to seem "lesser"..i should say

if some vehicles DO take damage from free-fall-and some other don't this IS serious-and can (and will) be exploited in MP.

Another important reason (lesser than previous one) is when other vehicles take damage and others don't IT"S a bug and

eventually somewhat immersion breaker .

I really encourage you to make a new ticket (with proper describing title this time) on Feedback Tracker.

This must be fixed.

Edited by GiorgyGR

I'm more upset about lack of assets, HE and 5.6mm bullets almost completely ineffective except in MASS volume, I understand body armour improving in the years from 2013 to 2035 but unless genetic augmentation is happening they should be dead. I'm also completely disappointed with the whole 'futuristic' aspect of Arma 3 what happened to the laser tank? I just wanted freaking sharks with lazor beams on their heads.

I'm more upset about lack of assets, HE and 5.6mm bullets almost completely ineffective except in MASS volume, I understand body armour improving in the years from 2013 to 2035 but unless genetic augmentation is happening they should be dead. I'm also completely disappointed with the whole 'futuristic' aspect of Arma 3 what happened to the laser tank? I just wanted freaking sharks with lazor beams on their heads.

Turn off extended armor.

:icon_dj:

My side hurts.

- Hey, sarge, what are we doin' today?

- DROPPIN' TANKS OUTTA THE SKIES AGAIN, PRIVATE!

Yes, sir!

img_0171_sm.jpg

I bet the OP plays with 3rd on and shift click on map etc etc then complains about the lack of realism when the extended armored IFV doesnt explode when dropped from the clouds

Admittedly under the current systems for things, it would be nice if vehicles fell at reasonable/similar speeds (have chutes actually effect that..) and the effects be similar in nature when such events take place. Whether that be steep terrain incidents, failed cargo drops or whatever else one might devise. I'm fairly confident you could script making your tanks blow up after hitting the ground without much effort.