Sign in to follow this  
BurntByHellfire

really... no omnidirectional movement?

well, i supported this game since the alpha, and ive been hoping theyd offer some common sense aspects to the control interface to the game, such as the ability to have omnidirectional movement.. for a military simulation, its pretty unrealistic when you can only move in one of 8 directions.. now i can understand this not being an issue for people who use WASD movement, but i do not, for the most part i play the game to the full effect without the use of a keyboard

i know, im going to hear people complain about how i need something like 40 keys to play this game, 7 just for movement, 3 for crouching and standing, a button to lower a weapon, one to look around seperately from the gun, lowering the weapon but most of these functions just arent even remotely useful for actual gameplay.. i play the game just fine using a controller for my left hand for movement, and 6 button mouse in my right hand for aiming, shooting, etc.. however, i also dont mind playing full controller.. i didnt ask for much, i didnt ask for a scheme specifically for controller, i didnt ask for support of a specific controller... all i asked for is omnidirectional movement when mapped to an axis, the ability to adjust sensitivity when aiming down a sight seperately from general sensitivity, and the ability to map ALL controls for vehicles seperate from infantry controls..

for example, i see no controls for firing the weapon of a vehicle.. it just re-uses the button used to fire the weapon as infantry.. as infantry, i like the gun to fire when the trigger is pulled a longer distance than a quick tap.. if we're talking simulation here, doing this allows it to feel like pulling a real trigger.. however, not so useful in aircraft, as these axis' are better used for throttle control

so through the alpha and beta i asked for:

omnidirectional control support

the ability to adjust aimed in sensitivity

being able to map all functions to the vehicle seperately from infantry

what i basically received was a "who gives a damn what you think" from the arma community

Maybe it was because your post is a rambling diatribe that barely makes any sense that you got a "who gives a damn what you think".

I honestly have no idea what you think, it makes no sense.

"All I ask for is"...

This is a clear case of thinking what your £19 outlay entitles you to not really adding up. You can point out bugs and issues, but you can't really make feature requests that frankly only benefit yourself or maybe a handful of guys. You have to ask yourself honestly "is this worth the effort for BIS to implement. It's pretty obviously way down any priority list.

"All I ask for is"...

This is a clear case of thinking what your £19 outlay entitles you to not really adding up. You can point out bugs and issues, but you can't really make feature requests that frankly only benefit yourself or maybe a handful of guys. You have to ask yourself honestly "is this worth the effort for BIS to implement. It's pretty obviously way down any priority list.

are you afraid of controllers or something?.. i mean, if your mouse and keyboard really is supreme, why worry about support for omnidirectional movement unless you feel like youd be left out.. if the keyboard was as perfect as you claim, then youd have nothing to worry about

are you afraid of controllers or something?.. i mean, if your mouse and keyboard really is supreme, why worry about support for omnidirectional movement unless you feel like youd be left out.. if the keyboard was as perfect as you claim, then youd have nothing to worry about

Why should BIS be expected to fully support analogue gamepads? It shouldn't come off as a surprise that a game like this really has been built with keyboard & mouse in mind when there are barely any keys left unbinded.

It's interesting that you lay this out as if we were hostile towards your gaming habits, while it's the other way around starting right in your OP.

It's a PC-only game. Expecting it to be developed in that kind of way for controller use is pretty nonsensical.

You can make feature request in feedback tracker, but I'm not sure if it would be implemented because most people play with WSAD, it's probably not worth programming it. If you're requesting for some feature you should think about whole community, not only about small part of it unless it is issue which doesn't allow play the game.

I have a tip for you too, write short sentences about what exactly is your problem and don't name threads like this one, because the way you presented your issue is at least annoying.

I like this thread. I'm convinced they will make all your wishes come true, OP. Please also ask for a Linux- and Mac port, even if it would take them 2 extra days of work.

I'm siding with the OP on this one, clunky movement is disappointing to say the least. It is also an aberration in the FPS and TPS worlds. No other game that I've seen has this type of movement. I would play with an xbox controller if I could, and A3 does have Xbox 360 code in it (or maybe legacy code from A2) so at one point it was going to be played with an analog controller. We can agree, though, that BIS has no plans on changing anything like this.

I'm using an analog controller for movement and it works great, almost intuitive; I've got 8 directional axis for movement and the further over I move the controller stick in any given direction the faster I go in that direction.

As previously said, A3 is a PC game. PC's use keyboards and mice by design. Please ask for controller support to be more "supported" by all means.

I'm siding with the OP on this one, clunky movement is disappointing to say the least. It is also an aberration in the FPS and TPS worlds. No other game that I've seen has this type of movement. I would play with an xbox controller if I could, and A3 does have Xbox 360 code in it (or maybe legacy code from A2) so at one point it was going to be played with an analog controller. We can agree, though, that BIS has no plans on changing anything like this.

I concur. While BIS likely has no plans to change this, I think it's definately something that should be featured. The 360 controller can get you around all of the menus just fine (and like sakura_chan says, there's already mild support for it in the form of 360 buttons showing up in the UI), so there's really no reason not to make it completely accessible IG as well. Maybe I just want to sit back on my couch and do some sightseeing from my HTPC/Steambox? *shrug*

But I don't care nearly enough to make my own ticket for it on the tracker. (I'm lazy) But I'll certainly vote for it, if someone posts a link.

As previously said, A3 is a PC game. PC's use keyboards and mice by design.

Keep in mind, I've been using a gamepad controller on PC long long before console controllers were interchangeable between console and PC. PCs certainly also use controllers by design.

Edited by TheCapulet

I think omnidirectional is a big no because the guy would look like he's running straight though he really runs 20 degree angle.

the ability to adjust aimed in sensitivity

being able to map all functions to the vehicle seperately from infantry

These are things what I'd like to see.

OP's aggressive style is pretty annoying though.

its really not that difficult to add omnidirectional support, or for that matter seperate ALL the controls of the vehicles and infantry so you can set up a different control scheme for each and it would make a HUGE difference in mapping controllers or other analog devices to the game.. and not only is it relatively simple to do, but does open the game up to a lot more people meaning more sales to them, because i enjoy sitting back on my bed or in a recliner and play PC games... and for those who still want the mouse, being able to map the game to something like the aimos XB would allow someone the ability to run omni-directionally while still using a mouse to aim.. lastly, being able to adjust the zoomed in sensitivity independantly of the overall sensitivity would aid mouse or controller users.. since have good eyes and a good screen i have less reliance on scopes and tend to take longer shots with the sights or a red dot, and whether i use a mouse or controller i like to have zoomed in sensitivity lower than average

as for the aggressive nature, i tend to be that way when it comes to controller support as all i ever seen to get is an onslaught of mouse elitism, despite just finishing playing the battlefield 4 beta and doing incredibly well against mouse users (game sucks btw in my opinion).. id rather take a small hit on precision speed (i tend to ambush or sneak up to people anyway), and still be able to sit back and be more comfortable when i play the game.. besides, after about 20 minutes of WASD my left hand feels like its on fire due to having larger than average hands and carpal tunnel like symptoms brought on from having them both frozen solid on a ski trip

Edited by BurntByHellfire

I think omnidirectional is a big no because the guy would look like he's running straight though he really runs 20 degree angle.

The game has featured free-look since OFP. With that you could easily turn legs 20 degrees to the other way than his upper body.

im not sure how i feel about seperate free look, if i see something i want to shoot at id like to already be pointed at it.. but i guess it might help if youre trying to not move so to not give yourself away... but free look doesnt necessarily mean it needs its own buttons.. id be more inclined to map a button to activate free look while its held down and just use a pre-existing axis.. more intuitive that way and im used to it

im actually trying out something new for first person shooters.. i bought an inexpensive playstation navigation controller which is the device in the link below.. and with motioninjoy (a PS3 controller driver for PC) i can use this on PC and map a variet of functions to it.. combined with my 5 button mouse gives me a total of 17 mappable functions.. make one button a set activator button and its closer to 30 different functions that can be mapped.. and thats if i stick with a 5 button instead of an 8, 9, or even 12 button mouse.. so ill be having the navigation controller in my left hand giving me full omnidirectional movement in games that support it, and still being able to aim with the mouse with enough buttons to map arma 3 to... now if only arma 3 had support for omnidirectional movement id truly have the best of both worlds

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Move-Navigation-Controller-3/dp/B002I0K6X6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380989265&sr=8-1&keywords=playstation+navigation

...unrealistic when you can only move in one of 8 directions..

You can move in EVERY direction. Right down to the smallest degree.

The Analog Stick you refer is indeed only 8-way, BUT in real life people only

walk in 2 (usually one). That's forward and backwards. You have 6 more here.

You have to use the other stick to turn/look/aim/twist/etc. Works great.

...so you can set up a different control scheme for each...

You can. You have to use the drop-down menu to select OTHER options.

This game/sim is more customizable than ANY game I've ever played. It sounds

like your not giving it a chance and are missing some of the setup options.

I'd rather BIS concentrate on real issues that benefits the majority. Not spend time so little johnny can use his console controller to play Arma3. In any case, controllers have been and still are inferior to using a keyboard and mouse. The only benefit of a controller is that it's a lazy mans device.

i think the issue with running in 8 directions is because it allows you to run in any direction while facing another.. in reality i can run towards something at any angle i choose while still facing it.. while i wouldnt somehow be running diagonal but straight, with my upper body turned to face whatever it is im looking at.. for example, when driving a tank in a game that tank can be driving in any direction of 360 degrees and anywhere in between with the turret facing your target... as you can turn your upper body independantly of your lower, running forward in more than just 3 directions could simulate this and maybe thats what youre character in the game should so, have the upper body twist a bit to face where youre pointing while the lower body runs whichever route you put them on

but anyway.. when i set up vehicle controls i couldnt find an independant setting for firing the weapon.. for vehicle controls i prefer to use triggers for the throttle, and bumpers to fire the weapon.. though since i use a PS3 controller i could probably map the L1 and R1 to an axis of their own as theyre pressure sensitive buttons and use these for the throttle and brake.. or just map an axis to the X button (also pressure sensitive)

anyway... to really aid controller support would require just a couple things.. omnidirectional movement to go with the varying levels of speed available with a thumbstick, but that last part is already in the game, so just omnidirectional support is needed... second thing that would help since we're more limited on the number of buttons we have would be to be able to come up with a completely independant (fire buttons included) scheme for infantry and the different types of vehicles (vehicle, helicopter, plane, submarine, etc).. and lastly something that would help a lot too is hands-free voice chat not requiring a button to speak.. i know you can double tap the talk key for hands free, but this leaves the mic on all the time

and the fourth thing i mentioned benefits mouse people as well, and thats the ability to change the zoomed-in aim sensitivity seperate.. i cant imagine any of these features being all that difficult or requiring more than a small patch to implement

It's a PC-only game. Expecting it to be developed in that kind of way for controller use is pretty nonsensical.

Crysis 1 natively supported the Xbox 360 controller LONG before there were ever plans to port it to the 360. It even had a graphic of the controller.

IMO though all extra options are welcome, it's something I wouldn't expect of a PC Game.

something else not to be ignored is the upcoming steam box.. i used to be quite active in the xbox live community before switching to PC gaming just a few months ago, and many of the people i played with on there were keeping an eye on the steam box and wanting to buy that over a new console.. they specifically wanted the ability to play full PC games relaxed in their living room.. and those going full on PC gaming are simply a lot more comfortable with a controller... so theres going to be a huge influx of people, console oriented people flooding the PC gaming market soon when these new consoles are released

Crysis 1 natively supported the Xbox 360 controller LONG before there were ever plans to port it to the 360. It even had a graphic of the controller.

Wasn't it a GFWL title? That certificate required the game to support xbox 360 controller.

Not that I remember. If it was, I really don't see myself having insalled it in '07. I've never had GFWL on my PC, but I've played through the Crysis 1 SP campaign multiple times.