Sign in to follow this  
Cathrynn

Scope glare, yes or no?

What should happen with '3D' scope glare?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with '3D' scope glare?

• Keep scope glare, but tone it down a bit and fix the shadow issues
    • Keep scope glare, but fix the shadow issues
    • Leave scope glare as it is now
    • Remove scope glare completely

Well the big problem though is you can't simulate the eye looking through the glare on a 2d computer screen. I mean you could make it transparent but even then its not the same. And all the effort to get it right... is it really worth it. My vote is just to take out 3d optics altogether and use 2d optics like TMR.

Who come a thread like this gets dragged to 8 pages?!

IRL it may happen but as soon it does you adjust your stance or weapon to prevent that because that is annoying.

The "glare" on the scope in Arma is more a bug than a feature and only happens because the game have no head animation for actually aiming down sights and it still uses the stencil shadow for most things.

Who come a thread like this gets dragged to 8 pages?!

IRL it may happen but as soon it does you adjust your stance or weapon to prevent that because that is annoying.

The "glare" on the scope in Arma is more a bug than a feature and only happens because the game have no head animation for actually aiming down sights and it still uses the stencil shadow for most things.

Because one guy on the internet thinks he's right, no matter what. And it's just plain natural reaction for those who are more experienced/educated to come in and try to correct him. With the number of people filtering through the forums these days, a thread like this could go on perpetually.

Well the big problem though is you can't simulate the eye looking through the glare on a 2d computer screen. I mean you could make it transparent but even then its not the same. And all the effort to get it right... is it really worth it. My vote is just to take out 3d optics altogether and use 2d optics like TMR.

I think it's a good idea to give a player, options, where possible. For example, until fairly recently, I used to be able to hold L-Ctrl while tapping the RMB to bring up the black '2D' scope picture for the ACOG instead of the '3D' one but it looks like that's been removed now.

For me the '3D' scope picture does a convincingly good job of simulating subtle background light reflections apart from the obvious problem it has at the moment.

Shouldn't it be like that in game too though, so that in the unlikely event of a player getting a bad reflection from the scope then all they need to do is adjust slightly, putting some shadow over the rear of the scope (when the shadows are fixed)?

Shouldn't it be like that in game too though, so that in the unlikely event of a player getting a bad reflection from the scope then all they need to do is adjust slightly, putting some shadow over the rear of the scope (when the shadows are fixed)?

It should be but its not. I think its been mentioned several times now, when you aim down the sights your characters head doesn't change position to look down the sights. Just the camera view changes. Thus your head does not cast a shadow on the sight like it would in reality.

It should be but its not. I think its been mentioned several times now, when you aim down the sights your characters head doesn't change position to look down the sights. Just the camera view changes. Thus your head does not cast a shadow on the sight like it would in reality.

I guess all we can do is hope that the shadow issue gets fixed at some point, maybe after the campaign.

I've just done some testing with TrackIR and the shadow from my head does seem to move about, including being able to cover the '3D' scope picture when up at the aim, although the sun and shadow issue still remains.

Since Arma doesn't allow for 6 DoF with TrackIR, that's some pseudoscience right there.

With TrackIR in A3 the players head and head shadow can move independently of the ACOG scope picture when up at the aim (L-Ctrl+rmb); something I've not been able to do using just the k/b and mouse on their own.

I know how TrackIR works, I've had it for quite a while. Long story short, Arma only allows 4 DoF. Up/down, right/left. You can't move your head sideways, only turn it, and as such, you can't move your virtual head in Arma to shadow the scope.

The way I'm able to put shadow over the rear scope lens using TIR is by leaning to the right a bit and turning my head slightly at the same time, it's far from ideal I know but it is possible. What I'd really like to know though is how easy, or difficult, is it going to be to fix the shadows so they stop that blob of light in the first place? Is it just a case of using the same type of shadows cast by tree's and other object's or is it a bit more complicated than that?

The problem isn't that your head doesn't cast shadows its that neither your character's head nor gun actually move when you aim down the sights. Only the "camera" moves. A way to fix this is to have an animation for the character actually to raise his weapon to eye level or lower his head to the level of the weapon. This would be really cool and I think it would fix alot more things than just scope glare issues.

The problem isn't that your head doesn't cast shadows its that neither your character's head nor gun actually move when you aim down the sights. Only the "camera" moves. A way to fix this is to have an animation for the character actually to raise his weapon to eye level or lower his head to the level of the weapon. This would be really cool and I think it would fix alot more things than just scope glare issues.

I'm still wondering why this never made it into arma... :j:

Might be related to the fact that it uses same animations for 3rd and 1st person.

The way I'm able to put shadow over the rear scope lens using TIR is by leaning to the right a bit and turning my head slightly at the same time, it's far from ideal I know but it is possible. What I'd really like to know though is how easy, or difficult, is it going to be to fix the shadows so they stop that blob of light in the first place? Is it just a case of using the same type of shadows cast by tree's and other object's or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Yeah, that means your virtual head still hasn't actually moved. This logic of yours has gone so far that I'm only only questioning your supposed fire arms experience, but also if you've even got a TrackIR.

Might be related to the fact that it uses same animations for 3rd and 1st person.

How do you mean? How would limit things?

Yes, the more I think about your suggestion, the more I like it; makes a lot of sense! What else would it fix though, apart from scope glare?

Yeah, that means your virtual head still hasn't actually moved. This logic of yours has gone so far that I'm only only questioning your supposed fire arms experience, but also if you've even got a TrackIR.

His posts are worth no more, or less, than yours. It's the internet.

Yes, the more I think about your suggestion, the more I like it; makes a lot of sense! What else would it fix though, apart from scope glare?

well, i dont know where the bullet is supposed to start, and thuis its trajectory, but i just say i get a lot of suspicious "wall hitting" when i fire with my weapon rested on a wall: i.e. if i glance over a wall and fire, most often than not mu shots hit the wall im behind instead that follow my line of sight.

Now this shouldnt happen if my shot trajectory started a few inches lower than my eyes, but if it were from my chest... hhhm...

Well the effects wouldn't be as noticeable in arma 3 becuase you hold you're gun at pretty much head height in the first place, but certainly in arma 2 there were many sintances where you can see over grass while prone but when sighted in you can see nothing but grass because instead of the weapon raising, the view drop. Same goes for cover - you are sighted in and think you are one height but your head in actualy is higher than your view.

to a certain extent arma 3 would benefit for those reasons but the most important is right now you can see and shoot around a corner without actually exposing your head. Ie. You can go from this, to this and exposure is exactly the same.

Overall it would just lend to more bodily awareness while ADS.

His posts are worth no more, or less, than yours. It's the internet.

"It's the Internet" isn't a valid explanation for why the basics of a debate should cease to exist. If someone (Bear) makes obvious BS post after obvious BS post, they become quite worthless by the time the thread's reached the 10th page.

I wasn't going to bother, but maybe it's an amusing data point for some...

BEHOLD! I saw scope glare on a real rifle the other day!!!

I was out in the desert and was shooting my SR-25 with a Nightforce scope. There was some very(!) minor glare (a small flare at the 5 o'clock position). Something wasn't right...then I realized I had the stock at the wrong position. Once I adjusted that, I have no idea if there was still glare. Why? Probably because if there was, it wasn't a factor...I couldn't see it anymore because I could look through it. I'm still not sure if it was still there. Instead I was worried about more important things like breathing, muscle control, trigger squeeze, mirage, etc. You get the idea.

It's just not something that's needed in game, and the way it's modeled isn't realistic.

How do you mean? How would limit things?

I imagine tilting head towards scope or bringing rifle up closer to the eye/camera opens room for visual errors. You adjust an animation to look good from 1st person but it looks off from 3rd and vice versa. I'm not saying this is the reason, I might be wrong of course but I'm sure they have a good reason why they do it the way they do.

Edited by Minoza

Thanks Gents, appreciated!

I've done some more testing with the sun low in the sky and behind me and found that even without using TIR I can cast a shadow over the rear of my ACOG while up at the aim (L-Ctrl+rmb) by pressing 'E' on the k/b (lean right); this puts a shadow over the white blob of light at most stance positions, except the prone types. So with the light blob on or near the centre of the scope, when the scope rear lens is not in shadow, I can put shadow over the lens (and the light blob) by pressing 'E'. But obviously this doesn't help when your on your belly in the dirt because the player can't use 'E' to lean. Just wish I could press 'E' to lean while sitting prone though. Maybe a new animation would solve some of these issues too.

...It's just not something that's needed in game...

Other people disagree, myself included.

...and the way it's modeled isn't realistic.

The way it's modeled needs to change I'd say.

Other people disagree, myself included.

I think you've been the only one that's disagreed, at least in the thread.