Sign in to follow this  
pete10

Better and more varied animations is the fastest path to greater realism

Hi. I'm a long time lurker but I rarely post here. So hear me out before punting me to the requests section.

I'm loving the new Arma and can see it for what it is. A platform on which better stuff will be built.

But in my book the one thing still holding this game back is the animations. Nothing kills immersion like having a platoon of soldiers all moving the same way. They look like they are a bunch of line dancing robots.

While I can see the arma 3 animations are streets ahead of arma 2, I reckon they still need a way to go.

The human body is our most immediate reference point for realism. If the Arma crew is truly striving for realism I reckon improving the animations and introducing varied animations for different figures must be the first point of attack.

I'd love one day to be able to play this game and to see a platoon of soldiers all moving differently as they patrol through a town. Some might be holding a rifle high on their chest.

Others might hold it off the shoulder. One might hunch under a heavy load. Some might amble while others stop and crouch every now and again.

Cheers.

The great thing about ARMA is that it's so broad in scope, but the consequence is that it can never achieve a perfect copy of reality. Everyone will have their few specific things they were wish were better. For you, it might be more varied running and walking animations. For another person, it might be a more accurate flight model or vehicle armor.

I guess the job of BI is to determine what is the highest priority and act on it.

Whilst I agree with this post, I think it would have to wait for a different game engine, with more dynamic GTA style animations...

Something to think about for the future.

The great thing about ARMA is that it's so broad in scope, but the consequence is that it can never achieve a perfect copy of reality. Everyone will have their few specific things they were wish were better. For you, it might be more varied running and walking animations. For another person, it might be a more accurate flight model or vehicle armor.

I guess the job of BI is to determine what is the highest priority and act on it.

yeah, But arma focus on infatary...

but make more animations looks like a lot of trouble..

everything they give, (more planes,a new marksman rifle) etc i will be happy

Good post, I agree, more animations if done smoothly = more immersion

Animations the fastest way? I take it you haven't developed games much, have you? :P

Agree strongly with OP. Would be fantastic to see an AI squad ambushed and some guys pointing, screaming yelling, a machinegunner running with his gear down *gasp* to get to a good position to set up. Panicked, stoic, confused, actively barking orders while orchestrating would go a long way. Civilians could use a lot more idle stuff as well -leaning off walls, sitting, posturing, screaming for their lives or just more curious pointing (hint -theres a lot of pointing when shits goin down!). Pretty sure Arma2 had panicked animations for women civilians ie hands over face.

Also please port the old dancing animations -been dyin to mix that with Kiory hats like forever :p

Agree strongly with OP. Would be fantastic to see an AI squad ambushed and some guys pointing, screaming yelling, a machinegunner running with his gear down *gasp* to get to a good position to set up. Panicked, stoic, confused, actively barking orders while orchestrating would go a long way. Civilians could use a lot more idle stuff as well -leaning off walls, sitting, posturing, screaming for their lives or just more curious pointing (hint -theres a lot of pointing when shits goin down!). Pretty sure Arma2 had panicked animations for women civilians ie hands over face.

Also please port the old dancing animations -been dyin to mix that with Kiory hats like forever :p

agreed 110%. altough i think the "fastest path" in the thread title might be argueable. :p lots and lots of work.

The human body is our most immediate reference point for realism.

wise words by the OP.

another thing that would be great is some getting up animations so AI could drop into ragdoll really short when getting hit surpringly and then immediately transition into one of those urgent and quick getting up anims. the twitching we have now really contributes to the AI seeming robotic still.

OP, lurk and post here more often, that's a great post/topic, agree wholeheartedly, would be great to see.

:)

Yeah, pointing in combat mode would be great!

But, a lot of AI immersion comes from good ai control. Not saying OP is new or whatever (probably better than me), but I often notice new to arma players complain about the stupid ai looking stupid. Best way to change this is get better at controlling them. Most people overuse aware and regroup. Not may people use safe, they do look much better in safe. Also splitting the squad into teams and moving them with out constantly following the leader looks better. Leaders that sprint too much should use the command advance more, which basically keeps them with the leader more. There's many more too.

But, you are completely right this would be great to improve, particularly in the aware state.

what they need are intermediate walking speeds (used by ai frequently and changing here and there so all looks humanized) -> solves all problems