TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

Whatever they did with it, it's broken. The GBU12's (called LGB12s) have this 5 degree cone you have to be in for a 'lock'.

This also exsist with the JDAM but they made it a 1 degree cone or less. Which makes is only realistically possible on real close proximity. Furtherst standoff I was ever able to get a lock (for a split second) was 1200m

But wait for the update! GPS guidance is comming!

Oh ok. I achieve to lock at 2.5 km / 1000m of height but to drop bomb at 6/7 km/ 3000m of height , i have to come at 1000m of heigh, very fast to get the lock of GPS at 2.5 km and to avoid AA. Then i can climb to 3000m at 7km of the target to drop the bomb in a safe area xD.

I will wait the next update >< .

Oh ok. I achieve to lock at 2.5 km / 1000m of height but to drop bomb at 6/7 km/ 3000m of height , i have to come at 1000m of heigh, very fast to get the lock of GPS at 2.5 km and to avoid AA. Then i can climb to 3000m at 7km of the target to drop the bomb in a safe area xD.

I will wait the next update >< .

...what? :Oo:

Haha I lost you.

Don't you feel that the GPS square appears very late ? I mean it is gps ... So we should be able to active the square very early , in order to (lock and) drop bombs at high altitude and long range.

Agreed :)

...what? :Oo:

Haha I lost you.

Sorry.

If my target is between AA. There is fog so i need to use GPS bombing.

I open the GPS system to select my target. Then i need to find the square of the target ( mean i've identified my target in order to lock it after ).

But to have the square, i need to be around 2.5 km or less from the target. The problem is, at 2.5 km of the target i'm in danger due to AA. That's why i need to fly as fast as i can, to avoid missile departure (i don't want to spent lot of time in AA area ).

Then after getting this square ( by pressing TAB or T ) i go at long distance from the target. Then i can back at medium altitude ( around 2/3000m ) and medium range for arma ( around 7km) to get the diamond and drop my bomb in safety.

Both things that could be improve :

1) Get the square at longer distance ( it is gps so it would be realistic to catch it at long distance ).

2) I feel that the diamond is scripted for one kind of speed ( around 500 / 550 km/h ). If i'm not at this speed i won't have the diamond to drop my bombs. The thing i want to say is, if i'm at bigger distance from the target, but at higher altitude and higher speed the energy should allow the bomb to reach the target so the diamond should appears earlier than it is at the moment.

I didnt even relise the JDAM with GPS system works. Thought it was work in progress...

When I put in a location in the gps system, it gives me the error "remove previous"

Well did you hit the clear all button?

I didnt even relise the JDAM with GPS system works. Thought it was work in progress...

When I put in a location in the gps system, it gives me the error "remove previous"

Read the documentation, it is well written -> easy to understand.

Ill retry

I did press "clear"

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

*diregard this*

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

OK I had a succesfull drop on the GPS:

I can confirm izaiak's find that the lockon can only be achieved at 2.5km Even flying at 2000m of altitude I had to pitch my nose down to gain the lock. It is a work arround...but not ideal.

After a good lockup I had succesfull BOC drops (Bombs on Coordinates) from even 3500 meters of altitude with over 700km/h

@izaiak reference my guide to get an idea on how to get inside release parameters.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24729

I will expand and modify my guide with this JDAM system

@creators: Very neat work!

Suggestion to overcome the 2.5km problem:

if the actual locking up is hardcoded in ArmA maybe instead make the GPS coordinate not disappear but make it possible to shift it's position. That way you can lock it up before it is actually place on top of the intended target.

It would be even more realistic if you disregard the whole locking system and have the physics engine do all the work for you. i.e. you give the bomb a coordinate and you code it so that the bomb simply puts its nose at that coordinate. The physics will do the rest.

i've read your manual since the 1st day it released.

I don't how to help them to increase radar range of the F-18.

@saul / Spartan : How have you create the F-18 radar's ?

Edited by izaiak

@All who are interested in GPS targeting system development

First of all GPS targeting [or targeting in general] concept in ARMAverse is completely different than in real life. Again ARMA is not a flight sim but combined arms game. So for those who expect a simulation for "real life" fighter pilot training we will have to say - sorry it wont be possible due to lack of time and resources on our end [bI theoretically can deliver such things].

For those who understand that ARMA is a game and for fun with a big element of realism in it and wish to help us out with some public testing or advice Saul and me have prepared a new DEVELOPMENT version of FA18 with a slightly updated GPS targeting system [still WIP]. Hopefully together we can shape it in to something interesting, fun and realistic [reasonably].

HERE IS DOWNLOAD LINK TO DEVELOPMENT version 1.61 of FA-18's [please don't mirror it's a WIP, latest stable atm is v1.6]

changes are made directly in cfg_ammo for JDAM's and in cfg_vehicles for invisible GPS target marker. If my tests are correct then this should allow much bigger stand off range with JDAM's than initial GPS targeting system version. Also ammunition is adjusted so you don't need to wait for "tone" or "dimond". So once you have lock "square" acquired [which depends on your view distance for objects] bomb can be released. JDAM's will auto track target and lock automatically during the flight [adjusting the flight path effectively within 5km range of target]

So for those who wish to participate please post feedback and you discoveries on this tread.

Thank you

Saul and John

Edited by John_Spartan

Looks awesome! Thank you for all your hard work guys!

Just one question! :P

Can we be expecting an update for the SU-35 anytime soon?

@Polaris - SU35 right now is our main development priority. Saul is working hard on updating the model to newly released vanilla jet standards, we will introduce a brand new "BIG BROTHER" to TO-199 [trainer] and it will happen reasonably soon. I don't want to specific on date atm.

@Polaris - SU35 right now is our main development priority. Saul is working hard on updating the model to newly released vanilla jet standards, we will introduce a brand new "BIG BROTHER" to TO-199 [trainer] and it will happen reasonably soon. I don't want to specific on date atm.

Sounds good man. I was just wondering because we hadn't heard anything on the plane! I'll be looking forward to it! :D

@John_Spartan : Thank you for the 1.61. It will on test :)

My findings:

JDAM

- The JDAM target still needs to be locked from 2.5km (Settings: 12000m view distance, 12000m object draw distance)

- After the lock it works as advertised: 4500m Altitude, 8.0km Range = DIRECT HIT

This is way better than the previous version though! nice.

Suggestion:

Isn't it possible to simply make the bomb home on the Position of the marker's 3D position, using a dubby object?

This would even allow the player/pilot to type in a Grid, given by ground forces, rather than clicking a location on the map.

HUD

The HUD pitch ladders are still way off.

Look at the 0-pitch ladder as you pitch up and down. You can see it shifting up and down from the horizon. This makes it unrelyable. The reason or this is that the ladders are projected directly on the HUD glass.

Suggestion:

The Circle and Gun-reticle displayed in the HUD when selecting weapons are in fact projected in 'infinity'. Which makes it a relyable reference!

Is there a way to project the pitch ladders in the same way? That will make them perfect instantly! :yay:

Idea to improve the initial lock.

As you know with AGM 65 missile, you can lock at 10km or maybe more, without having 12km of visi and object view distance. Maybe use it as a reference for the gps to allow player to lock GPS designation at higher distance ?

I think the problem is that the GPS target get's only visible at 2.5km while Armor and aircraft will be visible way earlier.

changes are made directly in cfg_ammo for JDAM's and in cfg_vehicles for invisible GPS target marker. If my tests are correct then this should allow much bigger stand off range with JDAM's than initial GPS targeting system version. Also ammunition is adjusted so you don't need to wait for "tone" or "dimond". So once you have lock "square" acquired [which depends on your view distance for objects] bomb can be released. JDAM's will auto track target and lock automatically during the flight

so, say, I want to bomb a house. how do I get a square on it? or is it not possible at the moment, and we can only target vehicles?

1. Open the GPS targeting system through the action menu

2. Click on the Set target button

3. Fly within 2.5km of the intended target and lock it up (Square)

4. Setup for your attack and release the bomb (no need to wait for the diamond)

Step 3 kinda defeats the purpose of the JDAM though

oh, that's pretty cool, didn't notice that menu. cheers

guys you never read, use the doc with mods to know how to use it ;) .

@Neptune : You may be right ! Try this one to be sure ( i can't do the test atm). Ask a friend of you to designate a target with a laser designator and try to lock it with AGM and report us the distance you get.

No need to test. You can lock it from atleast 12km away. Of not more.