tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

Is this your actual hpp from your arma3/userconfig/tpw_mods directory? Or the one from the zip?

From the userconfig, I deleted the zip.

Great find mate, but there is nothing wrong in the hpp as shipped in the TPW_MODS.zip.

tpw_hud_extragoggles[] = {}; // Classnames of additional goggles you want HUD to display on
tpw_hud_extraheadgear[] = {}; // Classnames of additional headgear you want HUD to display on 

Don't know why it's like that in your hpp. I'm getting a nasty feeling about file corruption somewhere along the line.

It's because I use the annotated .hpp, which currently is carrying the error (as of 1133 h, today). Your other .hpp is fine. I guess you might have forgotten to carry the change over to the annotated one. :)

...seeing as both .hpps are now annotated anyway, why not just have the one in future releases to avoid confusion?

I am also getting this error but the .hpp looks the same, not sure what else to look at...

You need to take a look at your arma3.rpt at C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Arma 3 and tell us which lines in the .hpp are causing the crash, if it is TPW's work at all.

Heya, tpw- first of all, awesome mod- loved it ever since a friend introduced it to me as a way to spice up my Pilgrimage playthroughs, and I've had it on-and-off in my install ever since.

Unfortunately, having recently downloaded it from both your Dropbox and Armaholic, I'm encountering the same error as mentioned by cameronmcdonald, only my .hpp is displaying something completely different from what has been described. The lines in question look like this

tpw_hud_extragoggles[] = "%1<t size='0.5'><br />VEL KTS</t>";
tpw_hud_extraheadgear[] = "<t color='%5'>%1</t> <t color='%6'>%2</t> <t color='%7'>%3</t> <t color='%8'>%4</t><t size='0.5'><br />PRX</t>";

but it's the same error, and same crashes when I go to start the game up with @TPW_MODS enabled. Ran the installer correctly, everything's in the right place, but something's hiccuping along the line. I can link my full .hpp if need be, but since those seem to be acting like the problem children, here, I figured that's all you needed.

EDIT- I've got the offending lines from my .rpt as well, they're pointing to something completely different- could be the .hpp is corrupted somehow, as you mentioned:

18:42:25 File userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp, line 107: '/TPW_ANIMSPEED_Key_Setting.tpw_hud_asl_txt': Missing ';' prior '}'
18:42:25 File userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp, line 108: '.tpw_hud_azt_txt': Missing ';' prior '}'
ErrorMessage: Config : some input after EndOfFile.

Heya, tpw- first of all, awesome mod- loved it ever since a friend introduced it to me as a way to spice up my Pilgrimage playthroughs, and I've had it on-and-off in my install ever since.

Unfortunately, having recently downloaded it from both your Dropbox and Armaholic, I'm encountering the same error as mentioned by cameronmcdonald, only my .hpp is displaying something completely different from what has been described. The lines in question look like this

tpw_hud_extragoggles[] = "%1<t size='0.5'><br />VEL KTS</t>";
tpw_hud_extraheadgear[] = "<t color='%5'>%1</t> <t color='%6'>%2</t> <t color='%7'>%3</t> <t color='%8'>%4</t><t size='0.5'><br />PRX</t>";

but it's the same error, and same crashes when I go to start the game up with @TPW_MODS enabled. Ran the installer correctly, everything's in the right place, but something's hiccuping along the line. I can link my full .hpp if need be, but since those seem to be acting like the problem children, here, I figured that's all you needed.

EDIT- I've got the offending lines from my .rpt as well, they're pointing to something completely different- could be the .hpp is corrupted somehow, as you mentioned:

18:42:25 File userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp, line 107: '/TPW_ANIMSPEED_Key_Setting.tpw_hud_asl_txt': Missing ';' prior '}'
18:42:25 File userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp, line 108: '.tpw_hud_azt_txt': Missing ';' prior '}'
ErrorMessage: Config : some input after EndOfFile.

Thanks for your kind words, and sorry about the bloody hpp troubles!

Please try grabbing the text from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/docs/TPW_MODS.txt and pasting it into your hpp. This file points to my working copy of the hpp stored on dropbox. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of recent problems have been due to an hpp cockup of some kind. Not sure why they are plaguing my mod at present!

• Like 1

Thanks, man! Will do, that'll likely solve it.
EDIT- It did! Thank you, old-school text file edits!

Given I have absolutely zero experience with config files or coding, my best guess is "I dunno a ghost did it or something(?)" and that's what I'm going with. :ph34r:

TPW MODS 20160515: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160515.zip

Changes:

• [CORE 1.14] Additional mosque classes added for TPW RADIO.
  • [FALL 1.43] Falls no longer impact on unit skill.
  • [RADIO 1.21] Reduced incidence of simultaneous Azan calls. 
  • [sOAP 1.00] Sonic ambience program. Adds middle eastern environmental ambience (voices, traffic, radio and loudspeakers), based on number of nearby habitable houses, for a significant boost in immersion. Will optionally also play the  user's music/sounds, if they are converted to ogg format and placed in @TPW_MODS\music (this feature is switched off by default). Works most convincingly on middle eastern and central asian themed maps, but also works surprisingly well on other maps (though may not if you are an Arabic speaker!). ENORMOUS DEBT OF THANKS TO AUTIGERGRAD FOR KIND PERMISSION TO USE HIS ASTONISHING QUALITY SOUNDS FROM HIS REGIONAL AMBIENCE PACK.

OK so this is a big one! For the first time in several years I've actually released a new mod for TPW MODS. Continuing my work to increase the sonic ambience of A3, I thought I'd have a go at using the radio music in house routines from TPW RADIO, to play actual environmental sounds such as voices and traffic. All good in principle except that I couldn't find any sounds on the internet that were a - not shit and b - free. Eventually I stumbled upon the incredibly immersive sounds of autigergrad's regional ambience pack right here on the BI forum. He kindly gave me permission to use them in a release, and the result is significant enough for me to release it as a new mod called TPW SOAP (SOnic Ambience Project). For me personally the difference it makes to walk around a map and hear the murmur of foreign voices, occasional kids, background traffic, radios and loudspeakers is really profound, 99% due to the quality of autigergrad's wonderful samples. I hope you'll feel the same too, but if not, you can easily disable it either for specific maps, or altogether!

As part of the development of this mod I've enabled preliminary support for user supplied music and sounds. If you're sick of hearing the same greek and arabic songs, you can drop up to 10 ogg formatted songs of your choosing into @TPW_MODS\music, and occasionally have them played from houses within the game. I'll be expanding on this principle shortly to allow playing of those user songs through the HUD control.

As a first release of this mod, TPW SOAP has plenty of scope for expansion and improvement, so I'm very open to suggestions. Also, if you've some good environmental samples you'd like to contribute, then please do so.

Read the documentation for TPW SOAP here.

Important note: I've only just implemented this and Gliptal thus hasn't had the notice or the time to update TPW SETTINGS or the installer. For the time being, I suggest you download from Dropbox, manually install, and manually edit the hpp. Speaking of hpp, a lot of problems users are reporting lately seem to boil down to a corrupted hpp. If in doubt, please copy the text from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/docs/TPW_MODS.txt and paste it into your hpp. To further avoid confusion, I have removed the annotated hpp from the download. 

• Like 5

froggyluv says it all really....... :D

The addition of the sonic ambience program is most welcome. I've been working on my own custom soundscape for a while now and was looking for a way to add some ambience to houses (creaking floorboards, thuds, banging, etc). Up until now I've been using a modified tpw_radio script, replacing the radio sounds with my own, now that your mod has the scope for adding user created sounds, this is just awesome news.

If your interested in an pack of sounds that adds creaking floorboards, thuds, bangs, etc,  I'd be more than happy to share, let me know what you think......

• Like 1

I've been working on my own custom soundscape for a while now and was looking for a way to add some ambience to houses (creaking floorboards, thuds, banging, etc)

...What???? That is a briliant idea. I would only add or suggest that it not be to repetitious. The banging effect would be quite nerve racking especially if it was limited to occur when the wind speed reached a particlar point, say for example, +25mph. How that might be calculated in Arma is only for the mod magicians minds to comprehend. Maybe LJ could help here.

Speaking of wind, how about little random dust squals bouncing along now and then with the same wind factor?

tpw,...your in it up to your neck now. No rest for the wicked, LOL

Here's hoping!

• Like 1

Glorious... another round of testing soon... :D

You keep surprising us with the improvements of TPW, Thanks to you we can take Arma 3 to a higher level!

Sorry to report another bug but TPW Settings.jar doesn't appear to be opening properly (unable to configure the options).

Can someone else confirm this?

Sorry to report another bug but TPW Settings.jar doesn't appear to be opening properly (unable to configure the options).

Yeah i had the same issue, i just used the annotated hpp

Hey tpw, could you explain the reason for the limit of 10 ogg vorbis files for user created sounds/music.....I am sitting on an ever increasing sound library to call on for ambience and could really use the benefit of more .ogg slots in the music folder.

Would you be open to an adding an optional audio heartbeat to tpw_bleedout as an alternative to the visible screen shake.

In any case it's great to see you back supporting and adding to one of THE outstanding mods for A3.  ;)

Hi TPW, after sorting out my Java issue with your settings gui, I downloaded today's update of your addon-and the issue has returned! When i try to open the settings it makes an error file containing this-

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -2
at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
at fileio.FileParser.readSection(FileParser.java:155)
at fileio.FileParser.readFile(FileParser.java:65)
at gui.listeners.presets.LoadPreset.itemStateChanged(LoadPreset.java:28)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireItemStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.selectedItemChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.contentsChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractListModel.fireContentsChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultComboBoxModel.setSelectedItem(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at gui.MainWindow.addPresetsToComboBox(MainWindow.java:99)
at exec.Main.loadPresets(Main.java:148)
at exec.Main.loadValues(Main.java:59)
at exec.Main.<init>(Main.java:25)
at exec.Main.main(Main.java:32)

Also the file called TPW_MODS Annotated is missing from this version. Strangely the userconfig folder from yesterdays version  of the mod is working fine-can i just use that userconfig with today's updated version of the mod?

This new module has temporarily derailed and distracted me from my new n00b script learning project. :D This is brilliant, and once again I'm struck by the generosity and camaraderie between the experienced modders in this community. We all knew the maps feel a bit sterile due to low civ foot and car traffic even with ambient spawn scripts (since 200+ AI dense urban crowds are not really feasible currently, as far as I have been able to tell), but even with current low levels of ambient civs, this sound mod fills a part of that gap I hadn't even realized.

Also, old news, but: Your TPW Fall module works aggravatingly well in conjunction with Bad Benson's Enhanced Movement. :D If you are overloaded with weight and try to vault a wall, you'll waste time falling to the ground upon landing. Coupled with the Extended Fatigue mod which incrementally reduces your speed as you become fatigued, we can now fairly harshly and accurately encourage "guns and ammo" loadouts for times that require maximum fire-and-maneuver.

Obviously, you'll be excited about expanding and supporting this part for the next while, so please table my idea for later consideration:

I found David Markwick's startled birds script WIP from 2008 on YouTube. I also found his Arma 3 flies on bodies script, but no actual, working bird script. So with no prior experience in ambient animal spawning, I'm going to take a stab at this, but I know that dynamic random spawns and triggers/event handlers are my Achilles' heel.

He did it with particles 8 years ago, but now I figure we can at least spawn seagulls, right?

If you eventually see these specific ambient animal effects as falling feasibly within the scope of your mod, I think it'd be awesome (and probably better executed than my eventual effort here).

• Like 2

I found David Markwick's startled birds script WIP from 2008 on YouTube. I also found his Arma 3 flies on bodies script, but no actual, working bird script. So with no prior experience in ambient animal spawning, I'm going to take a stab at this, but I know that dynamic random spawns and triggers/event handlers are my Achilles' heel.

He did it with particles 8 years ago, but now I figure we can at least spawn seagulls, right?

If you eventually see these specific ambient animal effects as falling feasibly within the scope of your mod, I think it'd be awesome (and probably better executed than my eventual effort here).

I think the startled birds could be an awesome addition to Tanoa-a great way to increase atmosphere if you are about to be ambushed :)

Yes some sort of bird activity would be a welcome addition, and while it would be labor-saving for everyone to have tpw add it to the package, it is possible to create startled birds in the editor using the Animals module and activated via a trigger.....

If you look at my prvious post I have a link to a fix for jar files.Are you on windows10? Strangely the fix worked for me yesterday-but when I got today's version of the mod it wont work..So I am using yesterdays userconfig file with the new mod version.

One question about the Skirmish mod, does the "string part" takes every classname? I tried it with Massi's navy seals and I looked up the classname in CFG Faction name But the vanilla NATO forces keeps spawning

I hope you can help me out :-)

The ambience! Good lord; for the sake of keeping uncontrollable variables in a mission to a minimal, I've mostly been playing with most of the civ stuff inactive, but on a whim, I reactivated most of it to try out SOAP* and oh man! Like folks have said already, a little change like that in the soundscape really brings out so much. Been a few times I've ducked into a building and assumed I was breaking up some poor family's dinner when I decide to use their kitchen table as a rifle rest!

I cannot wait to see what you do to build on this idea; I'm already in love.

On a whim, I MAY have also dropped some... less-than-fitting music into my music folder. I don't know if it adds to immersion, or detracts from it when I hear this playing in a nearby house, but my lord, is it entertaining.

(*The name of which, by the way, brings up a philosophical quandary; if I disabled it, would I be dropping the SOAP?)

Hey guys. The GUI .jar isn't working because of the new additions tpw made with the latest version. I'll update it as soon as possible (ideally in a day or so). I'm glad so many of you are still using it!

Yay!

• Like 2