Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Showcase Review

Ambient life (bunnies + insects) in the showcases suck and kill immersion.

Just played Armed Assault. Saw multiple bunnies running around in peace nearby the factory, on the battlefield. Nice AI there, by the way.

Dude for once metalcraze has a valid point (Yeah I can´t believe it either :p )

Why make missions that cater to the Generic FPS/quick Action crowd? The Tank showcase is designed in a way that you can´t play it realistic even if you want to. I tried staying behind providing overwatch for the other tanks but the mission doesn´t seem to proceed if you are not rushing too.

Probably because thats one part of the market they hope to entice? And looks like they are addressing the complaints of steep learning curve for new players, hence showcases and not "sp missions" They are obviously not made for seasoned vets who demand absolute realism, and most importantly they haven't removed the functionality to make realistic scenarios have they?

Guys, lets keep this OT, he will get banned anyway for playing with a cracked copy. Oh and Kordax, ever heard of "Degrade", or FADE? Might explain your recoil issues (or you were shooting SMGs). And yes I think there is too much recoil on some weapons.

BIS-invented piracy control systems never had anything to do with weapon recoil. It's always been about degrading accuracy or blurry vision.

Only ignorant fan boys can ignore the fact, that weapon recoil is nearly zero on rifles (I'm not even speaking about 45 acp smgs lol).

I remember a recoil back to Alpha (they were feeding veterans) and present recoil.

It's clearly, katipo666 was right... "Probably because thats one part of the market they hope to entice?"

They want a market of cod kids spraying auto fire, end of story.

It's like your favourite metal band started to sing about ponies with Justin Bieber.

Probably because thats one part of the market they hope to entice? And looks like they are addressing the complaints of steep learning curve for new players, hence showcases and not "sp missions" They are obviously not made for seasoned vets who demand absolute realism, and most importantly they haven't removed the functionality to make realistic scenarios have they?

So you are basically saying that the FULL RELEASE of Arma 3 doesn´t have a single SP Mission but only Showcases to "show" new players some stuff that is totally not representative of what Arma used to be about?

Are you serious?

So you are basically saying that the FULL RELEASE of Arma 3 doesn´t have a single SP Mission but only Showcases to "show" new players some stuff that is totally not representative of what Arma used to be about?

Are you serious?

I'm pointing out what the showcase might be about, quickly showing new players different aspects of gameplay in Arma 3 nothing more nothing less, Not all new players are gonna join this forum and get schooled by the "ive been playing this since the dawn of time" crowd, Most are just going to play the game so why not ease them in at base level, maybe let them grow into the game instead of frustrating them at the start? Even these showcases will be daunting for the new players?

And I'm not completely ignorant to "all the concerns" and have some of my own, I just see the cup half full :)

Edited by Katipo66

The tank showcase was awesome! The helicopter landed and I was unable to get out (or automatically thrown out). ;) Not a good start. I retried it and now it worked. It was exactly what I expected (and not in a good way). All the showcases I have played look just like a big budget hollywood action film: you are the center of everything and get UAV intel & direct comms from the Big Bosses, even if you're just a regular squaddie. I know some parts were taken from Rambo 5 manuscript... Every moment tries to be high adrenaline full packed action, but falls short (yes, even the "steal a car" showcase).

Luckily a friend of mine contacted me and made a server so we could play properly... At least I had some fun on release day...

Having a blast with Armed Assault!

One request for Campaign -use some of the indoors for enemies! I can't recall any official SP/Campaign mission that isn't a cutscene in which I actively have to watch windows and interiors. C'mon BI, show us your scripting prowess!

Having a blast with Armed Assault!

One request for Campaign -use some of the indoors for enemies! I can't recall any official SP/Campaign mission that isn't a cutscene in which I actively have to watch windows and interiors. C'mon BI, show us your scripting prowess!

Yeah good point, would be nice to see bohemias take on a realistic scenario that's a bit deeper and not so run and gun eg showcase the sim aspect of Arma.

"Showcases" in Arma3 is just an arbitrary title. All single missions in previous ArmA games down to OFP were showcases of stuff ranging from vehicles to engine effects. Somehow they didn't have handholding and a horrible CoD-like combat design.

But unlike single missions in previous games which were fun and plausible, these are not.

Yep so let's cater the game to people who never liked how ArmA plays. Great solution.

What about players who like to play ArmA? Because there is not a single showcase for these.

I don't feel like the OFP or ArmA missions ever showcased the features. At least not the best ones. Ambush never really showcased anything other than the whole game concept. Warcry was the same way. The A1 missions only showcased how you can rip a mission out of a campaign and call it SP. Other than Blood Sweat and Tears and Devil's Cross. Those two were good. Eye for an Eye in A2 was great! That didn't really demonstrate anything. The BAF missions were Gods amongst men and that cool PMC one where you drop the cargo and then retrieve it was also really good and I don't feel like anything there really demonstrated anything either. Some of them certainly did though. That ACR dog one for example and that ACR flood one. Maybe we shouldn't be talking about ACR though. Maybe we should just focus on how AWESOME BAF was (even though I don't tend to like anti-insurgency).

Well, those "elite Arma fans" always proud themselves that they don't care about SP and didn't finish a BIS campaign since OFP. Why complain now?

Because some ArmA fans pride themselves on having played ALL the campaigns. And yes I will get my chance but the game feels very empty. The campaigns were always one of the first things I did.

Only ignorant fan boys can ignore the fact, that weapon recoil is nearly zero on rifles (I'm not even speaking about 45 acp smgs lol).

I remember a recoil back to Alpha (they were feeding veterans) and present recoil.

It's clearly, katipo666 was right... "Probably because thats one part of the market they hope to entice?"

They want a market of cod kids spraying auto fire, end of story.

It's like your favourite metal band started to sing about ponies with Justin Bieber.

the 45 ACP should have shit all recoil, its got a crazy recoil damping system. i also seem to rember a massive hate rush from alot of arma vetrans about how all the guns kicked more then in arma 2.

so clearly they can't please everyone, and i think they should make the game they want, and don't tell the community what they have until its 100% done, so no sneak peeks, no hints, no promises, since the community goes mental when the timeline slips and something has to be cut

...and don't tell the community what they have until its 100% done, so no sneak peeks, no hints, no promises, since the community goes mental when the timeline slips and something has to be cut

The problem is that at least some of us used these promises to make the decision and bought the game.

Would you like to buy a house? Here are some pictures and blueprints. Wouldn't it be wonderful to own a house by the beach?

Those pictures were only placeholders. There is only half finished house, you have to finish it yourself. Oh, the beach you say? I never promised it, and I didn't mention this house is even remotely close to a beach.

The problem is that at least some of us used these promises to make the decision and bought the game.

Would you like to buy a house? Here are some pictures and blueprints. Wouldn't it be wonderful to own a house by the beach?

Those pictures were only placeholders. There is only half finished house, you have to finish it yourself. Oh, the beach you say? I never promised it, and I didn't mention this house is even remotely close to a beach.

exactly why they should never show unfinished assets, better to lose some sales due to people seeing to little, then to build a platform that you can be attacked from.

they should also not listen to the community when it goes ape shit over "to futuristic" assests, as that means all that work is lost. its their game that they funded, and are only now selling

So far I've only played two showcases. I thought the tank showcase was really cool, good clear briefing, fun to play as commander, and swap between being turned in and out with z and x. key depending on if I was taking fire or not, good fps. There was a problem in that the gunner would not always engage infantry, and I didn't seem to be able to lock on them as commander. But for the most the ai gunner and driver was fine, and I could lock vehicle with no problem. I did remap tap to be lock, and not next target. This makes more sense to me.

After reaching the outskirts of the town, and killing some enemies, my tank got damaged, and I returned to the starting location to get repaired by the Bobcat. However before reaching it, the mission ended and was complete.

So I thought it was too short. I was just getting into the fun when it ended. BI, do you think you can extend the mission some, and make a little longer?

exactly why they should never show unfinished assets, better to lose some sales due to people seeing to little, then to build a platform that you can be attacked from.
And now you know why the Arma 3 devs have been so "NO PROMISES!" lately.
they should also not listen to the community when it goes ape shit over "to futuristic" assests, as that means all that work is lost. its their game that they funded, and are only now selling
Somehow I suspect that the "anti-future" sentiment and devs caving in to that earlier was part of the development turmoil that caused the earlier delays in the game...

I'll just leave this here

Looks like the dude broke it just by not following crappy linear handholding that it's ridden with despite you supposedly being in command. Apparently you are invincible until you arrive in the village.

But I gotta say although most missions are quite crappy Armed Assault one is genuinely good. It played more like ArmA if anything. It ends too abruptly though. Needs another battle in the end.

More missions like this one, no missions like infantry, commander and night showcases especially.

Although even that one managed to show how much BIS messed up parts of the gameplay itself. After I cleaned a roadblock I saw two T-100s falling down from the sky upside down over the main base. When they hit the ground they immediately bounced onto their tracks like nothing happened. Hello auto-flip.

Edited by metalcraze

It played more like ArmA if anything. It ends too abruptly though. Needs another battle in the end.

Yes, something like an helicopter extraction under fire would be nice.

I'll just leave this here

Looks like the dude broke it just by not following crappy linear handholding that it's ridden with despite you supposedly being in command. Apparently you are invincible until you arrive in the village.

But I gotta say although most missions are quite crappy Armed Assault one is genuinely good. It played more like ArmA if anything. It ends too abruptly though. Needs another battle in the end.

More missions like this one, no missions like infantry, commander and night showcases especially.

Although even that one managed to show how much BIS messed up parts of the gameplay itself. After I cleaned a roadblock I saw two T-100s falling down from the sky upside down over the main base. When they hit the ground they immediately bounced onto their tracks like nothing happened. Hello auto-flip.

He just got shot in the head 50 times. No big deal though. He can just walk it off. hmmm.... that sounds familiar

Showcases were meant to showcase certain aspects of the game. In general it does a pretty poor job in doing so. The tank mission was horrific, I had to restart it 4 times due to many problems. I find them all too short. The assult one was the only one in the entire list worth playing.

What gets me mad is that arma 3 shipped out with not even one scenario. Not one realistic mission. Not one. Arma 2 had some good ones, like eye for an eye, or at least one like one shot one kill from OA. But we got nothing, and must rely on the community to give us realistic missions.

The campaign better not be like these showcases. I loved harvest red because it focused on you and your team. And the story line was compelling as well. I really hope BIS delivers on the campaign.

Had lots of fun with Tanks showcase.

On every single attempt, shortly after first engaging the enemy, 2 lead tanks run into each other. One flies into the ocean, second one flies in the general direction of the moon, AI/Scripts break and the mission is effectively over.

Tried it 3 times. Same thing happened again and again. Finally just said "Fuck it" and gave up. Good job there BIS.