Sign in to follow this  
ColeMinor

realistic soft earth environmental damage and mud - see video

i just saw this game on youtube, its working on getting funding looks like its on kickstarter.

Anyways look at this video its extremely realistic when driving in the soft earth etc. BIS please look into doing this type of thing! :)

yes i know that. If anything, then arma 4 first... To much engine updating/rewriting needed, to be able to achieve something like that.

That's something I would like to see - but if it happen then probably just in A4. Actual terrain and weather as a factor affecting infantry and vehicles movement, not just some stupid eye candy most are begging for. Actually it could resolve the issue with ugly textured craters.

everyone would need supercomputers to run physics like that on a large battlefield like Altis or even Stratis.

Not really. Just need to implement a system that completely disregards everything outside a certain radius. Just keep the position of it and not calculate the physics of a truck you can´t see.

that way the size of a map should not have any impact on your system.

Not really. Just need to implement a system that completely disregards everything outside a certain radius. Just keep the position of it and not calculate the physics of a truck you can´t see.

Exactly my thoughs when it comes to physics. Client-based, also when it comes to the vegetation the same technique could be applied and from certain radius rest would be an animations.

yes i know that. If anything, then arma 4 first... To much engine updating/rewriting needed, to be able to achieve something like that.

I bet if they make Arma 4 they will still be using the same engine they've used for the past what, 12 years?

Oh yeah and it will probably be set in the moon.

Edited by clydefrog

I bet if they make Arma 4 they will still be using the same engine they've used for the past what, 12 years?

Oh yeah and it will probably be set in the moon.

I wouldn't mind lunar combat.

Yeah, I wouldn't bet on it, not for Arma 3 anyway.

arma 16 Maybe....

one of the things I like to see are more realistic dirt roads. in arma1/2/3 dirt roads are as flat and perfect as asphalt. totally unnatural.

Edited by Minimalaco

WOW! That is SUPER AWESOME! BIS & Ooveeâ„¢ should join forces. Can you imagine mud & snow?

That would blow the Armaverse sky high. A whole other level dealing with logistics, terrain, and weather.

Moving troops and heavy equipment would require a lot more planing and strategic maneuvering. :icon_w00t:

This is a possibility. TrueSky was a simulation software integrated into the game for realistic weather, why not use other simulation software.

Tried the tech demo - quite impressive. Although there are so many gotchas for Arma. Like for example, how would you go about synchronizing mud changes in multiplayer? Not saying it can't be done - but lots of issue in the way.

Server would keep the basic info "mud xyz" or map could get auto generated places where mud/sand occurs. Physics client side while server info addresing to it where event is happening just as one and short note. Vehicles/infantry would just visually sink into the ground. For obvious reasons physics visuals could be played only at certain radius from the player. Just throwing some theory.

Tried the tech demo - quite impressive. Although there are so many gotchas for Arma. Like for example, how would you go about synchronizing mud changes in multiplayer? Not saying it can't be done - but lots of issue in the way.

I don't think it would be necessary (or feasible). Just make sure the vehicles themselves are moving the same way on each machine would be enough. Synchronising individual mud areas would be akin to synchronising individual smoke particles - i.e. not really necessary.

IMO natch. Got to be pragmatic about some things. getting bogged down in simulation details can drag an idea into uselessness. (Pun intended ;))

The effects are truely mind-blowing. However it is doubtful if such level of complexity could be introduced into any existing game like ARMA3--you probably need a new physic engine to deal with that. That being said, the current ARMA physic mech is pathetic at best and needs lots of tweaking.

Unfortunately when you have a bunch of players spread out across one map it's not that simple, especially when changes made to the terrain via this system have to be synced for all players.

Its this style of discussion again.

Reminds me of that tech demo about the game with the whole world modeled.

That was supposed to be in Arma3 I think according to discussions :p

I wonder how hard it would be to take all these various simulation tools (like the weather one, this dirt one, some flight models etc ) and incorporate all of that into one game.

I think it will be much easier if you have that as a goal before you start building the game engine.