Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

The sound thread

Wonder if it is soundfile or real-time filter? Can't check atm.

It's a real-time filter.

It's a real-time filter.

Wow thanks for letting me out :) That is definitelly step up, I wonder how was that implemented. If it is dynamic and dependant to the shape of the indoors then triple-WOW :D

I don't know if its my new headphone or the recent patch, but my own footsteps I think is too loud... louder than the weapons, has anyone made a ticket about it that I can vote it up?

Anyone here think that the reloading sound is very strange and too loud? when someone reloads somewhat near me, it sounds like it's coming from me.

t

I liked the new rocket pods sounds.

Anything changed on small arms sounds, namely the Katiba? It sounds like there is some "noise" after firing it but I don't know if it is by design or even if it is something new.

As far as I checked, there are still bugs in sound processing, like "distance" parameter not working right sometimes. If you adjust the sounds then fix the processing issues, you may need to adjust them again later as the volume may sound different.

well, you did noticed the echo as did or?

Ah sorry, crossed wires I thought the quote was talking about the sample limiter, which was supposed to control clipping and distortion etc as it was explained.

Its worth bringing this into the conversation too as I'm 99% certain it is not currently working.

It's a real-time filter.

Good news. But it need to be location-based and adjusted delay and fading.

Im sorry if I am a bit vague but location seems to be off.

I can be crouching in the middle next to a building and hear footsteps louder than I would hear my own. Not only that but they appear to come from the player and not whoever is making the noise.

Note* I assume its footsteps because well shit I dont know what else it can be. Ill try to repro.

There should be a "bushes sound", as soon as you touch or get in a bush, it can do so much for immersion. Right now there is none for most bushes.

It's great we're getting new filters and all :D, but I can't help but focus on the basic things that are still missing/lacking. Like distant sounds. Before "the audio overhaul" I'm certain sounds could be heard further out, not nearly far enough, but still. Then, when fixing the attenuation of vehicle sounds, the range dropped alot. Is there some problem with the audio engine not being able to handle distant sounds? Most weapon sounds and explosions just need an increased audible range, isn't there a global variable that can change this? I'll be really disappointed when we get Altis, which is huge, and will barely be able to hear a fire fight further than 500m out. If this issue persists that is.

The vehicle sounds are mostly great imo. and now even greater with filters, but then there's the constant clipping while driving, and it's driving me nuts! Am I the only one still getting those?

And then there's the position of the sounds played, specifically ricochets and rockets. They don't produce a sound! The sound they should be carrying with them is played from the spot from where the rocket/ricochet originated! For me these things combined really kill the immersion. Couldn't a ricochet simply be a round playing a static buzzing sound, with doppler added on top? And the same principle with rockets and missiles, and ideally all projectiles, but I guess that could be quite resource intensive.

It's not my intention come across as negative here, I just think these are issues that are important and are holding back otherwise great sounds! :)

Edited by Heruon
spelling

To me, the big problem with the audio is the lack of tools available to make a decent mod. With the right tools it would be possible to create an amazing audio immersion, but for now all you can do is replace the samples. Some considerations:

- You cannot change basic properties such as volume or pitch dynamically ingame, individually for each voice/sample. The system is class based, monolithic, with predefined values.

- The only function that can play polyphonic sound in a arbitrary way, playSound, has a delay of almost a second, so it cannot be used to synchronize some fast effects. Nor you can change the volume or pitch dynamically.

- Instead of to assign sound classes to other classes, it should be allowed the use of scripts. In that way, adding very very nice effects to weapons or other things would be easy.

- There is no way to add initial delays. This would be useful to make custom distance functions and it can be done with scripts yes, but only for one voice at a time. It would be possible to create a kind of timed playlist, but again, unwanted delays could turn it into a mess.

And more things. That is the real problem and not the LP filters, eax effects, metallic reverbs or techno-tape echoes. With a flexible system and the proper tools, only with samples, you can send Frostbite 2 to hell.

Edited by VanZant

Please, let's have two more volume sliders in sound options, one for ambient environment, and one for gun sounds. As it is I can't hear any ambient sounds because I have to turn down volume so I don't go deaf from gun sounds. (using headphones)

I would love If they changed sound of M134 Minigun to something like this:

Yesterday change log: "Sounds of movement has been tuned for all soldiers"

Really. Guys, you're do it wrong. You're doing it for the tenth time and its still bad. With sound engineers and gear like yours this game shouldn't need and sound mod. I don't know what happen there but tens of people around the forum already told you that. Can't you just learn something from all ArmA 2 sound mods? All footsteps sounds have higher volume!

Here is how a game with sounds rated 10/10 looks like. Everything is immersive, like you're there. Yours are low, not immersive, there are lot of bugs when switching from grass to roads like gear volume get lower etc. there are no bush sounds, the ambient is awfull. Instead, the sounds in the next one are amazing:

Yesterday change log: "Sounds of movement has been tuned for all soldiers"

Really. Guys, you're do it wrong. You're doing it for the tenth time and its still bad. With sound engineers and gear like yours this game shouldn't need and sound mod. I don't know what happen there but tens of people around the forum already told you that. Can't you just learn something from all ArmA 2 sound mods? All footsteps sounds have higher volume!

Here is how a game with sounds rated 10/10 looks like. Everything is immersive, like you're there. Yours are low, not immersive, there are lot of bugs when switching from grass to roads like gear volume get lower etc. there are no bush sounds, the ambient is awfull. Instead, the sounds in the next one are amazing:

On the other hand people will call bullshit if the sounds show any sign of holywood-ish immersion as in, overdone or not 98% realistic. I agree though that this series deserve the best sounds and I feel we're not quite there yet. BI tends to go in some ways extremely conservative.

All footsteps sounds have higher volume!

I Agree with this!

Since the sound of a videogame is one of the three crucial elements to create the experience, I took a closer listen to the weapon samples as they are in Arma 3 right now. Much of the critique goes into very fine details which many probably haven't even noticed yet but nonetheless they are present and fixing them greatly increases the quality and experience.

• The XM series sample have a very quiet cut-off at the end where it doesn't fade completely.
  • Multiple samples of the P07 have a quiet deep beep sound in the background with one of them having a strong cut-off.
  • Rook has been nicely improved. Sounds much more powerful now
  • A sample of the ACP has a similar deep, bass sound like the P07 which starts right after the crack.
    The SD version uses the rifle sample. Needs to be changed!
  • One LRR sample has a cut-off artefact
  • The MK200 has a quiet metallic rattling after the crack. Not sure if that’s supposed to be there with so few metal going on due to the caseless ammo
  • The Katiba has a delayed mechanical sound on the left channel
  • The SDAR has a cutoff discrepancy/artefact as well
  • The reverb for the TRG sounds too much artificially echoed. It actually sounds like the two channels are slightly shifted and out of sync
  • The Zafir, well, I really hope it’s a placeholder. From all the weapons, this has the weakest and worst sounding sample while it' actually one of the most badass guns! Unfortunately the sound is ruining the experience and impression. The crack, the reverb, it’s all not right.
  • One of the MK20 samples contains quiet remains of wind during the fade-out.
  • Placing e.g the slammer mine, explosive charge or claymore causes a strange bass-beeping at the beginning.
  • The problem with the satchel sample is that the same sample of falling debris can be heard crystal clear over a large distance.
  • The mixing of the previous 40mm cannon and HMG sample for the crack should be reversed. The autocannon sounded much more authentic previously. Same goes for the BTR 30mm cannon. The high pitched crack shouldn't be there.
  • The new sound concept for the DAGR rockets is very nice however the sound itself sounds like it's coming from a very small engine (rather a firework missile) and not a powerful rocket. The "indoor" filter could be used to create a
    for the cockpit

Was just playing the Commanding showcase and it is frustrating. AI and actual commanding apart (which are shameful) the sound is just boring to say the least.

Barely can hear the HEMTT, even quieter when driving it from 1st person.

Gunshots? Laughtable. The friendly ones (close to me) sounds all the same, occlusion, terrain doesn't seems to matter.

Incoming fire ("far", if 300m is far) can't hear at all, only cue that I am being shot is the sonic crack which is too low too. Can't hear anything from the enemies weapons.

That damn boat (seriously, wtf? That thing alone should be able to take out the whole team as there is no weapon to engage it. Luckily AI is dumb) kill something over the valley and I can hear the explosions as they were next to me. Again, no occlusion, terrain doesn't matter and all that.

I double checked my sound settings because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Everything sounds out of balance or something.

Seriously, what is going on here? Of all things, this is where I see less improvements and every change seems to get things worst!

After all those awesome soundmods since A1 and year dedicated to make a WAR game I would think you guys got things better but nope.

unfortunatelly, this is the zone that hurts the game most. It seems that BIS priorities on sound engine changed. Sound revamp has been advertised long time ago but devs "changed the direction the game was heading". We learned that from now it is sandbox and devs want just to deliver to us core base engine. The ambitious scale of A3 has been cut due to greek accident and various other problems. These circumstances hurt the game, and the sound in-game at large part as (probably?) pettka said that it isnt their aim to deliver something that the community can made.

That is BIS not my opinion.