Sign in to follow this  
terox

Battleye is here (Quick tutorial)

BATTLEYE IS HERE

Clients will most likely need to run their game as ADMIN

Battleye is an anti cheat application that has been implemented in previous B.I engine releases for several years now.

It will automatically install when you update to

• Type: Public Beta
  • Branch: Development
  • Version: 0.73.107769

To configure it you need to do 2 things.

1. Add a BE.cfg file to your AtmA3\battleye folder
  2. Add your desired **filter**.txt file and edit them as you see fit

SERVER.cfg entry

Battleye is on by default

To disable it, you would enter the following line into your server.config or whatever you have named the .cfg where you define the admin and server login passwords

Battleye = 0;

It is defintely not recommended to disable it

BEServer.cfg

This file should be created (using a text editor) and saved to your ArmA3\Battleye folder

Example

Rconpassword  123mypassword456

MaxPing 250 // maximal delay to server before BattlEye autokicks
MaxCreateVehiclePerInterval 72 1
MaxSetPosPerInterval 2 1
MaxSetDamagePerInterval 36 1
MaxAddBackpackCargoPerInterval 12 1
MaxAddMagazineCargoPerInterval 96 1
MaxAddWeaponCargoPerInterval 24 1
MaxDeleteVehiclePerInterval 48 1
MaxAttachToPerInterval 4 1

// above is in format of amount of entries (number) per timeinterval (seconds)
// in dependency on maxplayers and gametype you might need increase/decrease the values

Battleye Filters

In your ArmA3\Battleye folder create a series of .txt files (All are optional)

The most up to date list of .txt files can be found here https://github.com/DayZMod/Battleye-Filters

• addbackpackcargo.txt
  • addmagazinecargo.txt
  • addweaponcargo.txt
  • attachto.txt
  • createvehicle.txt
  • deleteVehicle.txt
  • mpeventhandler.txt
  • publicvariable.txt
  • publicvariableval.txt
  • publicvariablevar.txt
  • remotecontrol.txt
  • remoteexec.txt
  • selectplayer.txt
  • setdamage.txt
  • setpos.txt
  • setvariable.txt
  • setvariableval.txt
  • teamswitch.txt
  • waypointcondition.txt
  • waypointstatement.txt

As you will notice, each file (In most cases) refers to a scripting command

AFAIK, what happens is, BE scans incoming packets to the server. If a command is found it searches through the relevant "**scripting command**.txt" to see if the string in the packet matches any strings listed in that filename.

If a hit is found it then carries out the rule (1-7) defined for it.

The contents of the files listed in the link above are for A2 and dayZ, so some of the strings contained within the file are irrelevant to A3.

It does however give you a good example of content you can define.

It is the file names that are important

You will have to manually edit the content as you see fit

In addition there is another .txt file called scripts.txt

This is for clientside checking and can contain any strings you want.

Any skilled parasite (I wont call them a h*c*er) can intercept the contents of this particular file, so it isn't very secure. It works well against the kids

Battleye Detection rules

1 - Log detections to "scripts.log"

2 - Log detections to server console

3 - Log detection to scripts.log & server console

4 - Kick for detections ("Script Restriction #X")

5 - Kick & log to scripts.log

6 - kick & log to scripts.log & server console

7 - Kick and log to everything

Useful links

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BattlEye

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131759-New-BattlEye-features-for-server-admins

Edited by Terox

thanks.. you may want to add how to set up ping limits and use a unique folder for banning/ping limits.

eg. 1. Make folder on the server hard drive drive and place BESever.cfg and bans.txt in this folder. They can be empty for now.

2. Add "-BEpath-c\folder" to Firedaemon in paramaters or start script. eg "-BEpath=c:\unique name\"

3. In the BESever.cfg add the line:- Maxping 300

4. If you want to use battle warden tool also add this line into the BEServer.cfg :- RConPassword Secret_Code

I have tested battle warden quickly and it looks to be working well enough to use in arma3 even though it is for arma2... very handy tool.

Edited by gonk
typo

Battleye seems to start on the Dev even without Battleye = 1 in the cfg.

It looks like the protocols are the same as for Arma2, and at a quick look tonight the Arma2 parser for Big Brother Bot (B3) seems to be working OK for Arma 3

Yes I can confirm.... battleye is on without having to set Battleye = 1 in the cfg. Maybe they will not give the option to disable in ARMA3

This is great news! Can't wait for it to roll out on stable branch.

I have a question, will global bans return with ArmA3? And how will they be triggered? I don't want to end up getting falsely GB'd for doing stuff on my server.

I have a question, will global bans return with ArmA3? And how will they be triggered? I don't want to end up getting falsely GB'd for doing stuff on my server.

I don't see why global bans would be removed now. And unless you hack on your own server while BE is on, you won't get global banned

They are triggered by cheat detection on a BE enabled server.

This is how it has always worked.

Yes, there will still be global bans, the only difference is that this time they will actually be effective (no more cd-key theft). Anyway, simply don't cheat, then there is nothing to be afraid of, unless you allow someone else to use your Steam account.

Ignore this

Edited by Terox

Updated....

scripts.txt is a clientside filename.

rename this on the server to (anything you like ).txt

You misunderstood, the file is loaded on the server (it's for client-side script checks though) and has to be called "scripts.txt".

This is how it has always worked.

Yes, there will still be global bans, the only difference is that this time they will actually be effective (no more cd-key theft). Anyway, simply don't cheat, then there is nothing to be afraid of, unless you allow someone else to use your Steam account.

Let's say I BattleEye ban someone from my server, they can't access my server anymore but can obviously still access other servers. How exactly will global bans be handed out? You say cheat, I say I use my own debugger in my mission which happens to have blacklisted commands I added in scripts.txt - it ends up banning me. Would that trigger the global ban?

I guess to sum up my question - who determines the global ban and how is the info sent to them?

Let's say I BattleEye ban someone from my server, they can't access my server anymore but can obviously still access other servers. How exactly will global bans be handed out? You say cheat, I say I use my own debugger in my mission which happens to have blacklisted commands I added in scripts.txt - it ends up banning me. Would that trigger the global ban?

I guess to sum up my question - who determines the global ban and how is the info sent to them?

You can't determine the rules to global ban yourself, of course. Otherwise, eg. I could blacklist all the scripting commands in the game, put some mission with those rolling on a server, so everyone joining the server would be banned from the MP then :p

The BattlEye Client checks the memory of the client for hacks/ cheats etc. If it finds one (= violation), it will either kick or ban the violating client. The decision of what violation is kicked and what banned for is made by the BE Staff (aka $able). Let's say, cheat engine gets you kicked, private hacks get you globally banned.

The Scripts.txt is server specific and will therefore only kick you from the server, it will not trigger or affect a global ban. Also, I wouldn't recommend using a Debugger on a BE enabled server. ;)

You misunderstood, the file is loaded on the server (it's for client-side script checks though) and has to be called "scripts.txt".

thanks $able

I have updated the first post. I believe it is fairly accurate, can you proof read it please.

in addition you may want to add filters for the commands

• Allowdamage
  • setUnitRecoilCoefficient

please realize that you CAN'T use the DayZ mod content of BE filters for your missions or mods ... each mission and each modification needs own set of rules for detection etc.

please realize that you CAN'T use the DayZ mod content of BE filters for your missions or mods ... each mission and each modification needs own set of rules for detection etc.

Is there a github repo with BE filters that we can use for A3 in general? Or any other place where there is information on these fitlers?

Is there a github repo with BE filters that we can use for A3 in general? Or any other place where there is information on these fitlers?

As Dwarden said, there are no general filters as they always depend on the mission/mod being played.

For information on BE filters you can check the following threads for now:

- http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131759-New-BattlEye-features-for-server-admins

- http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138736-Introducing-Server-side-Event-Logging-Blocking

Is there an ETA for Battleye being available on the non-dev branch?

Is there an ETA for Battleye being available on the non-dev branch?

yes, with next stable update ... ;)

So then which of the several .txt files in that link can be used as of now on arma 3. If Dayz specific ones cant be used which are the general arma ones that can?

So then which of the several .txt files in that link can be used as of now on arma 3. If Dayz specific ones cant be used which are the general arma ones that can?

The filenames are important, these cant be renamed

It is the content of the files Dwarden is referring too.

Its not that you cant use them as is, its the fact that a lot of strings they contain are specific to DayZ etc, so some of the content is redundant

BE will end up seaching through a lot of strings unnecessarily if you leave them in

Open up the files and have a read though, its fairly easy to filter out unwanted content

You dont have to add any of the filters, these are all optional and add an additional layer on top of default Battleye

There are certain sites you can visit to download the scripts the parasites use. Linking to them or mentioning their name on BI forums is a big No! No!

Ask your peers in a private chat where these sites are and have a look through them and decide what strings you want to use.