Sign in to follow this  
copper2010

Why to people play so much Life and Wasteland?

why does he/she stay in such a squad that he doesn't like? There's huge number of other squads and clans with different kind of stuff available and freedom to select whichever the player wants, so there's no point staying in clan or squad that doesn't offer the right things for him/her.

We're talking about members of a clan requiring public (non-clan) players to address them by rank. Never seen it happen, but I'd love to know who is doing it.

And of course there's nothing inherently wrong with it - for ex-mil guys, it's a way of staying connected with "the life", for non-mil folks it's simply role-play. Do some people take it a little too seriously? Sure. Does it effect you or anyone else in any appreciable way? No. Those who complain about or ridicule mil-simmers need to remember that they look silly to us as well, what with the running around in underwear with an anti-materiel rifle and AT rocket on their back.

Ah, I didn't recognize the term "pubber". I'm sorry! Well, I have to agree it sounds kind of funny that you'd have to address the clan members on a public server by their ranks. But on the other hand – you have the "disconnect" button in your UI also there...! :p

So far I have only seen Hi,A3 servers run something that looks like a decent pub FPS mode but even that has some huge issues. There currently aren't any servers running a mission 24/7 that is complete, has a clear and obvious game mode and a hard to exploit meta that scales well for a small population up to a very large population.

So I was replying to a comment early, when I realized my response was so big, it probably belonged in its own thread.

The thread was concerning that 50% of servers these days are Life servers and Wasteland. And I can't say I disagree. I see one or two domination servers now that are populated enough for me to join.

Why is this?

Most don't have the cojones to play a real game mode like CTI.

You changed my quote.

So you are one of those joke-figures who wants to get called "General" and "SIR!" on Teamspeak? LOL. Yeah you are exactly the reason why I stay away from most of the Coop servers.

Oh, shut the hell up.

No one has demanded to be addressed by imaginary rank on a public co-op like... fucking... ever. And if they did, it was either a joke or an individual with some sort of social disability.

Even private units with rank protocol are a mythical phenomenon of the ArmA community. I've never seen any evidence of one in all my years here.

What I have seen is hundreds of kids thinking they should be able to grab an anti-materiel rifle and set off on a quadbike to alert the whole AO of enemies, or grab the Apache solo and try to destroy the whole map, while other people are trying to coordinate.

What we really need is a comprehensive PvP game mode involving land, sea, and air assets all involved in a massive operation on these massive islands. I still don't see anything like that yet. The closest is Invade and Annex but that is P v AI which takes most of the fun out of it IMO.

There's been a few groups like that, Theater of War comes to mind. Weekly battles with persistent area control and limited resources available. Coordinated air/armored/infantry groups all under one command. Clear objectives and fair gameplay (no camping spawn point sillyness). It was a lot of fun and a good challenge.

Problem is not everyone is patient enough to play as a group like that. Not everyone wants to only drive a tank around for 3 hours. A "sniper" doesn't want to sit on a hill calling in enemy contacts instead of trying to head shot everyone. Some pilots don't want to stay behind the lines unless called to apply CAS for a specific unit in contact instead of flying around killing everything. Takes a special kind of person to want to work as a team for goals beyond immediate satisfaction.

I'd say its a question of accessibility and ability. I'm an Arma noob (one with grey hair, perhaps I'm a groob?!) so I'm not very good unless its being shot in the face in which case I'm an expert.

I haven't even scratched the surface of the game and to me it is stunning and incredible but the appeal really lies in multiplayer. But accessing it to achieve what I want has issues; I don't want to burden a group with my ineptitude and I just don't have the time to join a clan/squad and do lots of training. Wasteland provides a multiplayer experience, albeit a shallow one, and is easily accessible to the noob player who is trying to come to grips with the game. I imagine that over time new people will gain confidence to explore other game modes and accordingly move away from wasteland/life into more team co-ordinated play.

I don't really understand the Life servers. I walked around as a cop harassing citizens with direct communication near the starting area but it seems like a whole lot of nothing going on.

I guess what I am looking for is something similar to battlefield 2 with the ARMA 3 engine :D

I think it has something to do with, well in regards to wasteland that it requires zero mods to play, many players dont understand how to use mods, and most come from Day Z where they download a launcher and everything is already installed. where many Domination/insurgency use ACE, ACRE etc.

I played/checked Altis life yesterday for the first time and all I heard was 12 year olds on the mic cursing and swearing. PEGI 16? yeah in theory. I honestly do not enjoy public servers anymore since the Dayz horror began. Unless you are on a private server multi player in ArmA sucks ass.

There are currently 4-5 popular missions that I can think of, wasteland, life, invade and annex, teetimes warfare and TF-2.

All garbage, wasteland was good in arma 2 but not here and it runs like shit, the others rely on gimicks, shop, accounts and other unneeded BS, GOOD MISSIONS ARE WHAT'S NEEDED !!!

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

You seem to underestimate dayz bootsy.

All garbage, wasteland was good in arma 2 but not here and it runs like shit, the others rely on gimicks, shop, accounts and other unneeded BS, GOOD MISSIONS ARE WHAT'S NEEDED !!!

Define "good mission". And what gimmick does I&A rely on?

I've read through this entire post and it was a good read. One thing for sure is that ARMA has a diverse selection of missions and a diverse selection of players. Me I like PVP but don't mind the occasional COOP. I've played wasteland and dayz and they are both great missions / mods. I've also played a lot of other mission / mods in the past, ACE, PR Arma 2, UO etc. These mods / communities have more structure but I've never seen anyone been asked to refer to anyone by rank but I have played on servers that require you to listen to orders and do what the CO says.

To answer the question in the OP, Wasteland and Life appeal to the mass amounts of people who discovered ARMA when DayZ became popular. The ARMA experience is what you make of it. To each his own.

For the guys interested PVP, teamwork, easy to join game that gives structure but doesn't go over the top then check out Tactical Battlefield A3. We've been doing a lot testing lately and hopefully we'll have something to release to the public in a relatively short amount of time. It plays very good now in Attack and secure and Attack and defend modes but we still have a few things to sort out so no official release date has been set. It's going to be a lot of fun and can't wait for everyone to see it.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163550-Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Gameplay-Modification

http://www.12thmechanised.com/forums/

Edited by Hurtz72

I think we play Life and wasteland alot because you can do alot more in them, plus wasteland is getting a bit too close to the area of DayZ.

I don't really understand the Life servers. I walked around as a cop harassing citizens with direct communication near the starting area but it seems like a whole lot of nothing going on.

I guess what I am looking for is something similar to battlefield 2 with the ARMA 3 engine :D

project reality?

Does anyone here know how to edit PBO files. Me and my friend have a wasteland server up using the GOT wasteland v2.3 and we have tweaked some stuff but really we dont know what we are doing? Do you think anyone here could help?

Does anyone here know how to edit PBO files. Me and my friend have a wasteland server up using the GOT wasteland v2.3 and we have tweaked some stuff but really we dont know what we are doing? Do you think anyone here could help?

I want to extract wasteland too, im making a mission that involves the bottom right icons but i cant open it, Can anyone extract it and provide a link?!?

The game is crying out for some good PvP modes/mods.

I don't like wasteland and haven't tried life. Loved project reality in Arma 2...

I want to extract wasteland too, im making a mission that involves the bottom right icons but i cant open it, Can anyone extract it and provide a link?!?

How about just asking the creator instead of ripping it out of a mission without consent of the mission/mod creator.

The game is crying out for some good PvP modes/mods.

I don't like wasteland and haven't tried life. Loved project reality in Arma 2...

Amen to that! Project reality was great!

I play a lot of wasteland, its good quick PVP. I like to gear up quickly and fight on large maps. Dayz is a little too boring for me, I didnt care for life at all because its a time waster!

Only played Dayz a few times and Wasteland maybe once. I'd love to see the whole genre expand in to something akin to Civ 5 meets Road Warrior meets 28 Days later. That's is, real clans needing to search, extract and build resources with full fledged mini games. Building fortresses plank by plank via something similar to Nerdmod, drilling for oil and needing upgrades to make fuel, fully customizable vehicles aka Road Warrior, severe weather that can knock out fragile electric fences allowing the zombie horde access, a fully fledged fishing and hunting mini-game. No Fak paks but herbs and ointments that need to be studied via valuable tomes of knowledge. And of course some sort of end game with full Jesus Rapture.

Should be easily doable :)

there are really too much wasteland servers, i am lucky that there are a few koop server with this random mission mod, but at this servers are never enough enemies for 30-40 players, and the AI is often horrible. :(

this game could be so great in multiplayer but it seems you really need a clan for it, and i don't want to be forced to be active and smalltalk with eachother, i just want to play this game with some coordination via teamspeak or whatever.

Hi,

i've player DayZ and Wasteland and by time both is getting boring (for me) because there are no targets. You walk around find some stuff (weapons, food) and then?.... you walk around... see a player.... kill him (or he you).... walk around again....but where?.. why?

For me it would be great to have a target like "go to airport.... do something.... do this...".

But, it's only my opinion, and i'm wondering that so much player play DayZ and Wasteland. May be i do not undertsand the sense of this both game modes (*lol*).