Sign in to follow this  
richchad

Where are the 6 saved Game slots?

I downloaded Arma 3 Beta yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that there is only 1 save game slot, where have the 6 save game slots gone?

Had an update today but still the same, I am deleting or moving the one saved game into folders to enable another save game as a work around, but am I missing something here as no one seems to have mentioned it?

Guess it finally happened then.

BIS announced that all difficulties but recruit will have 1 savegame per mission not too long ago.

You can switch to recruit if you wish for multiple savegames to work.

(I only welcome such change since it will make mission makers balance missions well instead of pitting 10 of you vs. 100 of them which became all too popular in A2...)

You can also turn on unlimited saves if you are playing using regular difficulty.

Edited by stun

No you can't. If you read some of the stuff on armaholic, bi said about 2 weeks ago they were removing unlimited saves, with no work around, even on regular. Only one save. They wanted people to play with a little more caution like real life. Project Reality in BF2 did something for that same reason. You couldn't respawn for a few minutes. To me it makes it unplayable. Who are bi to tell us how carefully we want to play though? If I wanted to limit to one save I could have changed it myself. I think bi should have left this alone. Some people will give up the game because of it. If the campaign is too tough for someone they will give up and stop playing.If they had more saves they could get past that difficult spot and move on.

We are all gonna be stuck playing on "Easy".

Well I can tell you that in SP you definately can have unlimited saves in regular difficulty level because I've just tested and it works. I'm running the latest beta dev branch.

If the campaign is too tough for someone they will give up and stop playing.

The whole point is that the campaign will be just perfect for one save per mission.

If they had more saves they could get past that difficult spot and move on.

Yeah and unlimited saves with multiple slots are actually the reason why missions are unbalanced and either too hard or too easy since there's no standard around which you can create challenge.

Just like respawn - which is the reason why you die all the time in MP instead of surviving till the end.

Saving-every-5-meters exploits should've never came to ArmA in the first place. If there's unlimited respawn or savegames - it's ok to kill the player all the time and the player will never learn to play.

"We"? Ugh I've completed OFP on a difficulty with 1 savegame (meaning any of them) and it was also bought by 2 mln of other people (something no ArmA game has ever repeated since on its own) so count me out from that "we".

Edited by metalcraze

One save spot = Unforgettable moments.

Multiple save points = Limited challenge, forgotten experience.

FTFY - Let people have their saves. If a portion of the players want to artificially limit themselves, by all means add an Ironman option that limits them to a single (or no) saves.

Edited by Foxhound
quote changed back to original as requested by original poster.

FTFY - Let people have their saves. If a portion of the players want to artificially limit themselves, by all means add an Ironman option that limits them to a single (or no) saves.

Mansen are you quoting me wrong on purpose, or is that a mistake? Please edit your post and correct my quote.

Agreed. Best decision ever, i hope they won't change it back.

Mansen, if you had actually played the Beta instead of just spamming the forum, you would have probably noticed that the Autosave is separate from the User save.

Bad decision. It should be up to the player whether they want to have multiple saves or not. Mission makers don't have to design their missions to take into account saves, just make them balanced and achievable.

This will just make people play on the lower difficulties and thus make them unprepared for Multiplayer. Or make them not bother playing missions when they find half-way through the mission that they've forgotten something or done something wrong and because the last save is quite recent and the mistake was a while back, the only thing they can do is start the mission from scratch.

The idea is supposed to be that mission makers would now balance the missions "appropriately" with players having only one save slot... in reality, expect the worst. :rolleyes:

The idea is supposed to be that mission makers would now balance the missions "appropriately" with players having only one save slot... in reality, expect the worst. :rolleyes:

Why ? That's how it was done before (OFP time)

And what about me wanting to try different approaches in a mission? I'm not a very good player and want to improve my strategies and try out the different ways of engaging bases etc. Very often a lot of AIs die because of false commands I gave, .. etc.

I would like to have some saves (at least being able to override this single save) so I can try this. I agree that it is quite atmosphere killing if you reload your mission every 2 minutes instead of playing careful. Being able to change the amount of saves to unlimited is the best solution imo.

Woohoo, looks like I opened a can of worms here, you are right stun you can change to unlimited saves through the difficulty option.

Surely it is up to the person paying and playing the game how they want the save option to work, one or whatever....

Multiple saves kills SP experience. It should be possible for the mission maker to disable the multiple save ability of the player.

Mansen, if you had actually played the Beta instead of just spamming the forum, you would have probably noticed that the Autosave is separate from the User save.

Did I claim otherwise? A lot of the autosaves in the showcase are poorly timed. Having one manual save doesn't change that fact - So instead of being a jerk, maybe you should use that noggin of yours before opening your piehole? Thank you.

Mansen are you quoting me wrong on purpose, or is that a mistake? Please edit your post and correct my quote.

Google "FTFY" and you'll realize.

No you can't. If you read some of the stuff on armaholic, bi said about 2 weeks ago they were removing unlimited saves, with no work around, even on regular. Only one save. They wanted people to play with a little more caution like real life. Project Reality in BF2 did something for that same reason. You couldn't respawn for a few minutes. To me it makes it unplayable. Who are bi to tell us how carefully we want to play though? If I wanted to limit to one save I could have changed it myself. I think bi should have left this alone. Some people will give up the game because of it. If the campaign is too tough for someone they will give up and stop playing.If they had more saves they could get past that difficult spot and move on.

Where is your source on this? I know Veteran now has only single saves (ArmA II and ToH allow unlimited saves on their Veteran/Expert settings).

I only like many saves because, to no offense to BI, the games get pretty buggy at times in some missions. I like having many saves because it helps circumvent this. This expands much more with mods.

Couldn't this also be circumvented by moving the current save file and simply making another one? Or have they hidden the save files now?

Edited by Foffy

Couldn't this also be circumvented by moving the current save file and simply making another one? Or have they hidden the save files now?

Save files aren't hidden... yet...

It's funny.

If Bis plan to give the same weapon to both sides it's for balance design

If they remove the the ability to save more than once it's for realism design...

If they remove the the ability to save more than once it's for realism design...

But it isn't removed.

I don't like this decision. I'm playing on a good computer, but it's simply not good enough for ArmA III. In ArmA II, multiple saves were the only way to do anything at all on my previous rig, because of crashes that often led to savegame corruption. That was a pretty crappy rig, and I upgraded since, but I'm afraid that once ArmA III starts doing really grand scale missions, I might lose an hour or so of gameplay due crashes and savegame corruption. Hasn't happened to me yet, and I didn't really need more than 1 save so far, but nobody says it won't happen at some point during campaign, especially if AIII will get Manhattan-style sandbox-y epics at some point.

I don't like this decision. I'm playing on a good computer, but it's simply not good enough for ArmA III. In ArmA II, multiple saves were the only way to do anything at all on my previous rig, because of crashes that often led to savegame corruption. That was a pretty crappy rig, and I upgraded since, but I'm afraid that once ArmA III starts doing really grand scale missions, I might lose an hour or so of gameplay due crashes and savegame corruption. Hasn't happened to me yet, and I didn't really need more than 1 save so far, but nobody says it won't happen at some point during campaign, especially if AIII will get Manhattan-style sandbox-y epics at some point.

That's what I fear about. If the missions are all cut into being 10-20 minute chunks, it's fine. ArmA II had missions that were designed to take hours to complete.

But it isn't removed.

Well on regular you can only save once in the showcases. Tested with dev branch (not todays update).