Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Surround sound problems, DEVs take notice

Dolby Headphone makes the sound sÑene softer. The transitions between the sounds of different coordinates are less contrast. This may create the impression of a contracting scene. I don't like this in shooters because the accuracy of the sound drops.

Well I have to admit that the Microphone on the Roccat Kave sucks. It really really does. :j:

don't see this as AD, if so, pls delete, but today ive bumped into razor surround program, it's free to get, but you can donate. What it does, it enhanced your headphones with quite nice 7.1 surround. I'm using soundblaster tactic3d alpha phones, it has it's own software. But what it does, is simply widen the stereo, like some stereo enhancement plugin, and it doesn't sound 3D at all. But with razor prog, actually now i'm noticing 3D sound.

here is the link http://www.razerzone.com/surround

So it's really worth to try. Tested in Arma 3, combined arms showcase, you can cleary hear, from what direction the sound comes from, as i've always wanted. Especialy it's incredible with JSRS 1.5 on arma 2. Simply run any flashpoint, dynamic war missions!

Hope it helps anybody, who is dissapointed with armas surround.

Edited by NeuroFunker
link

don't see this as AD, if so, pls delete, but today ive bumped into razor surround program, it's free to get, but you can donate. What it does, it enhanced your headphones with quite nice 7.1 surround. I'm using soundblaster tactic3d alpha phones, it has it's own software. But what it does, is simply widen the stereo, like some stereo enhancement plugin, and it doesn't sound 3D at all. But with razor prog, actually now i'm noticing 3D sound.

So it's really worth to try. Tested in Arma 3, combined arms showcase, you can cleary hear, from what direction the sound comes from, as i've always wanted. Especialy it's incredible with JSRS 1.5 on arma 2. Simply run any flashpoint, dynamic war missions!

I have to say, the demo on that page is laughable. The sample track is just a compressed piece of crap. The biggest "enhancement" I notice is that they ran the track through an equalizer. It may sound a tiny bit more sourround-ish, but it's hard to tell how much of that is just the "enhanced" version not sounding like it's being played through Walkman headphones. Did you notice a big improvement once you got your custom settings worked out, or were you happy with the results shown by their sample?

I also wish Razer would stop forcing cloud storage on their users as an excuse to collect data. Synapse was lightyears better before 2.0, and few gamers LAN enough to make this cloud storage excuse passable.

I decided to be a jerk and assume things about others in a negative way and I should be called out on it.

I never made any claims that a pair of Sennheisers don't have an objectively better sound quality - better 3d space? Doubtful. I would personally never buy a pair of gaming headsets just for the sake of them having the "gamer" label tacked on to them. I bought my G35s because I wanted better spacial awareness and I can't use speakers (I have neighbors)

As for your "good soundcard" argument, I'm very sorry to say but we've entered the age of software sound processing. You won't many games that support OpenAL since Windows 7 came out (or rather halfway through Vista's shelf life) or support EAX or any such old school features. Since Microsoft removed the HAL it's all digital anyway. And since you started the entire "Who would pay for such a small difference" tangent, then I'll gladly argue that there is absolutely no reason to buy a dedicated sound card in this day and age.

You obviously didn´t even try it...

Sense - post make your a lot not. (My G35s are running 7.1 all day long - so yeah I have obviously tried "it"... whatever on green earth you are referring to.

I never made any claims that a pair of Sennheisers don't have an objectively better sound quality - better 3d space? Doubtful. I would personally never buy a pair of gaming headsets just for the sake of them having the "gamer" label tacked on to them. I bought my G35s because I wanted better spacial awareness and I can't use speakers (I have neighbors)

As for your "good soundcard" argument, I'm very sorry to say but we've entered the age of software sound processing. You won't many games that support OpenAL since Windows 7 came out (or rather halfway through Vista's shelf life) or support EAX or any such old school features. Since Microsoft removed the HAL it's all digital anyway. And since you started the entire "Who would pay for such a small difference" tangent, then I'll gladly argue that there is absolutely no reason to buy a dedicated sound card in this day and age.

Sense - post make your a lot not. (My G35s are running 7.1 all day long - so yeah I have obviously tried "it"... whatever on green earth you are referring to.

Good soundcard is a must have

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Well I have to admit that the Microphone on the Roccat Kave sucks. It really really does. :j:

Too true. I got mine to replace my old mic/headset which was failing. Sound quality is top-notch, microphone is laughably quiet and begins to crackle after about an hour or so until I unplug/replug it. Ended up using my webcam mic instead as it's better in all ways.

As for the topic, my Roccat Kave headset has started doing the exact same as OP's since beta launched.

Hostility.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. My post was not intended that way. I thought the smiley faces would help convey that.

You never tried a headset with true 5.1.

The G35 is basically an enhanced stereo headset with simulated 7.1 (Wich is basically just marketing BS). Yes it has a quite good sound but you should try a true sourround sound Headset before making any judgements.

I have to say, the demo on that page is laughable. The sample track is just a compressed piece of crap. The biggest "enhancement" I notice is that they ran the track through an equalizer. It may sound a tiny bit more sourround-ish, but it's hard to tell how much of that is just the "enhanced" version not sounding like it's being played through Walkman headphones. Did you notice a big improvement once you got your custom settings worked out, or were you happy with the results shown by their sample?

I also wish Razer would stop forcing cloud storage on their users as an excuse to collect data. Synapse was lightyears better before 2.0, and few gamers LAN enough to make this cloud storage excuse passable.

never tried that demos, but like i said, i like what i hear in games now.

You obviously never used a soundcard before. First off, Windows 8 has brought back hardware audio with Hardware-Offloaded Audio.

Second the difference between onboard and a dedicated sound card is absolutely huge. You can't even compare the difference. I don't buy a soundcard these days for EAX or Hardware sound, I buy it for massive boost in sound quality.

So if any person here that truly enjoys playing games then a soundcard is essential, sound is one of the best tools for immersion.

Edited by Devast8nDiscoDave

You obviously never used a soundcard before.

Well neither have you - obviously.

You obviously never used a soundcard before. First off, Windows 8 has brought back hardware audio with Hardware-Offloaded Audio.

Second the difference between onboard and a dedicated sound card is absolutely huge. You can't even compare the difference. I don't buy a soundcard these days for EAX or Hardware sound, I buy it for massive boost in sound quality.

So if any person here that truly enjoys playing games then a soundcard is essential, sound is one of the best tools for immersion.

Someone I know bought a Xonar DX (by no means a cheap card) and had worse mic sound than with his onboard, which he's now using for the mic again. It sounded like it was picking up electrical hum from the PC.

Neither the onboard nor Xonar DX are shielded so they should both be susceptible to picking up interference equally, but there you are.

Enough of the bickering, please. If you don't have the inclination to put a proper argument together to express what you mean, perhaps it would be better if you found a different discussion to participate in.

Someone I know bought a Xonar DX (by no means a cheap card) and had worse mic sound than with his onboard, which he's now using for the mic again. It sounded like it was picking up electrical hum from the PC.

Neither the onboard nor Xonar DX are shielded so they should both be susceptible to picking up interference equally, but there you are.

Yes this can happen, you can still use the soundcard for output and the onboard for mic input. It's just a matter of changing to the correct input in teamspeak etc.

The DX is a cheap card, great little card for the the price but still cheap. They are only like $25/£20. The best card for the price at the minute would be the Soundblaster Z oem version. They cost like £50 and are basically the same as the more expensive versions without the emi shielding. I myself upgraded to a Soundblaster Zx from an Auzen Prelude (a very high quality X-Fi) and there is a massive difference in sound. The Z series has redeemed Creative in my eyes, fantastic hardware, software without the bloatedness and there has been several driver updates since launch!

Yes this can happen, you can still use the soundcard for output and the onboard for mic input. It's just a matter of changing to the correct input in teamspeak etc.

The DX is a cheap card, great little card for the the price but still cheap. They are only like $25/£20. The best card for the price at the minute would be the Soundblaster Z oem version. They cost like £50 and are basically the same as the more expensive versions without the emi shielding. I myself upgraded to a Soundblaster Zx from an Auzen Prelude (a very high quality X-Fi) and there is a massive difference in sound. The Z series has redeemed Creative in my eyes, fantastic hardware, software without the bloatedness and there has been several driver updates since launch!

You're thinking of the DG. The DX is about $60 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asustek-Xonar-PCI-E-Profile-Sound/dp/B00198DM2K

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Tried this to compare with my onboard THX TruStudio Pro Surround. It probably sounds about the same, no real sense of the sound coming from a wider soundstage than within the headphones (I've got open-backed Samson SR850) but better than nothing I guess.

However, with the THX enabled and the Realtek control panel set to 7.1, when I test the speakers in the control panel it plays them in the virtual space. With Razer, I get nothing other than out of the 2 front speakers, so I'm not sure this is going to work in game either. In Razer I've got Enable Virtual Audio Device set to Speakers (2-Realtek) and Optimized for Stereo Headphones, ON.

Guys could we please get this back on topic? They still didn´t fix the problem and no Dev has acknowledged that it exists...

I hope they do, would make the game definitely better

Verstuurd van mijn HTC One X+

Creative Labs has quite good emulation of any positional stuff into headphones (thanks to all the EMU, Aureal 3D and Sensaura patents) ...

Dwarden, could you please check if the sound guys are aware of this issue? I have the feeling that they are not visiting the forum that often...

Guys could we please get this back on topic? They still didn´t fix the problem and no Dev has acknowledged that it exists...
Dwarden, could you please check if the sound guys are aware of this issue? I have the feeling that they are not visiting the forum that often...

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10145

"Status: Assigned"

:cool: {evil smile in background with great echo}

:cool: {evil smile in background with great echo}

I see what you've done here! But the real question is that great echo is PP dynamic sound reflection or just a sample? :cool: