Sign in to follow this  
-KH-Matt

ArmA 3 aircraft sound mod

Started my @RS sound mod for the upcoming @WINGS OF PEACE and LEGENDS OF the COLD WAR by ВаÑÑ ÐŸÐ°Ð¼Ð¿ÐºÐ¸Ð½

Amazing game BI cant wait for next update.... heres what ive achieved so far.

Edited by [KH]Matt

Nice work so far. The stock BIS sounds aren't that good YET, so this is very welcome.

Some suggestions if I may:

Tone down the volume of all sounds except the one your using for afterbuner/trust. That way you get the roar after the aircraft has passed.

Example of what I mean below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XawdGQKCB7o

Another suggestion would be for the Vulcan, to use the howl a little more effectively by placing it in its own class and using rpm/speed factor to activate the sound and as the plane accelerates past this it fades away.

An example of this would be:

class WindNoiseOut
{
sound[] = {"vulcan\howl", 5, 1, 3000};
volume = "(speed factor[100, 200])";	  // alter depending on what speeds you want the howl to fade in/out			
frequency = 1;
};

Or

class WindNoiseOut
{
sound[] = {"vulcan\howl", 5, 1, 3000};
volume = "engineOn*camPos*(rpm factor[0.3, 1])";    // alter depending on what rpm you want the howl to fade in/out					
frequency = 1;
};

Bizarrely enough I was thinking about having a stab at making my first model mod and the Vulcan was my choice, since its already been done and your model looks beautiful I thought I'd just pass on my methods.

Hope it helps bud.

Edited by Bigpickle

Thx for the input mate will take it on board you got some great sounding planes their ....still looking for the holy grail of having the sound arrive after the aircraft has gone by. Sound is all messed up on my rig atm. Ive just built a whole new pc just for arma3 ssd haswell chip etc really weird sound coming from the jets as if the rotor sound of the helicopters is superimposed on the plane sound especially the start up sound. Ive been using allinarma so i can get plane controls back for the stick???? Dunno whats going on must be alpha different config cone settings i hope! Rest of the game is absolutely fine with no audio artefacts so think the sound engine has been changed.... thx mate i might send you over the vulcan so you can see what you can do with it .

edit.. found out what the sound distortion was turns out i had the same mod in two different mod folders and looks like the sounds from both were conflicting somehow .Anyhow small update crammed the arma 3 helipilot into the f16 and got configuarble plane controls back in the control options menu.

changed cones

Edited by [KH]Matt

I would love to have a go with the Vulcan for sure, the so called sound cone has always been less than desired with ArmA through all the games imo, add to that we've had no documentation on it what so ever. But from what I can tell its more like a sound orb surrounding the plane and thus meaning you cannot direct sound in any particular direction.

I've always used this cone for effects like after burners, distant engine etc

cone[] = {3.0, 3.92, 1.9, 1.5};

Its probably the stock settings but it seems to work the best for what your looking for in my experience. As soon as we get a jet in A3, we'll all know where we stand concerning the sound cones, here's to hoping for a new sound cone system that gives the ability to direct the sound more effectively.

If youre into modding their are a few links for the arma 2 versions on my youtube site that with a bit of persuasion will kind of work. Need to see what the beta is going to bring us as things are screwed atm.

Concentrating on GLT's awsome F-16 atm still seating position to sort but its getting their.

Awesome sounds, I do love the sound of jet engines ripping the sky apart. :) As someone who like many others have heard fighter jets in real life these just feels right, but at the same time I'd also suggest you to listen to Bigpickle's advice earlier in the thread. You can come a long way with sounds alone, but making use of scripting and some simple coding can make a huge difference in making the sounds more realistic.

Keep up the good work. If you're looking for high quality sounds assets I do know of a YouTube channel that might prove helpful. http://www.youtube.com/user/airboyd?feature=watch

Matt, this is sounding really good so far! Keep up the good work mate.

Matt;2424149']Concentrating on GLT's awsome F-16 atm still seating position to sort but its getting their.

God. Dayum.

The 'howl' is great. Just need a rare whistle in there and it is perfect!

Looking great but are all these unofficial ports?

Im just soundmodding the author has permission for these freeware alpha-sim models that he has converted.

This is purely awesome. Keep up this good work.

Big love!

Nice work ! ;) :cool: