Sign in to follow this  
pawelkpl

I miss tyre skidding sound, Can we expect have it back ?

Hi, first builds of arma 3 alpha has nice skidding sound, later it was removed, I really miss it. Can we expect have it back ? regards, pawelkpl :j:

Wheeled vehicles don't actually "skid" in Arma 3 though, they just dig in as if they were attached to a rail or something, lol.

I'm hoping we can get some decent traction simulation going on for various different surface types eventually, then a skidding sound effect would actually make sense.

Is there a way that the breaks can be continuous instead of binary (on/off). Currently it's not realistic to be breaking every time as if you're jamming your feet on the breaks. Am I missing something in the control settings?

Is there a way that the breaks can be continuous instead of binary (on/off). Currently it's not realistic to be breaking every time as if you're jamming your feet on the breaks. Am I missing something in the control settings?

I agree, it is a big problem even with my G25 driving wheel. What I have found that Hunter car drives properly with gas/brakes pedals, other cars brakes are on/off.

Anyway i don't like breaking sounds. My brakes don't make any sound (nor my tires any skidding sounds, apart in public indoor parking) i don't see why ingame they should, this isn't GTA.

Edited by ProfTournesol

yep, a analogue input

Forget the breaks, although its important, the physics of the vehicle needs fixing... If i ramp of the ground it just glide in the air till i hit the ground... Where is the weight to the front ? back ? left and right of the vehicle :P

BI Devs your doing a great job, But if your unsure on how vehicle physics should be play GTA IV :P

I think the break sounds were taken out due to them sounding the same on all surface types (unsure though)

Are you talking about that annoying skidding sounds that started when you drove the hunter and stopped when you got out.... (ie the most annoying sound in the game. )

Wheeled vehicles don't actually "skid" in Arma 3 though, they just dig in as if they were attached to a rail or something

Then it seems like something is wrong with you. I can slide/skid the Hunter around like a mental.

As for the tyre-squeal, its first implementation was excessive. But the configuration should allow for it to be present when the tyres lose grip (e.g. wheels are locked up during braking, or wheels are sliding sideways during a skid), as always: its an Alpha, I'm sure they guys are tuning it all the time (we know they are, because features come and go)

nor my tires any skidding sounds, apart in public indoor parking)

mmm painted concrete :yay:

I'd love to see a more refined vehicle physics system. I mean, full analog throttle control not just 3 buttons that use pre-determined power settings. And when you really stomp the pedal in a quad or off-road, the tires rip into the dirt and kick up debris and spin out. Suspension improvements would also be nice. Right now vehicles feel similar to shoe-box cars just gliding across the ground. Sounds also need some serious work as the engines and tire effects sound really flat. There's no depth to them at all.

Arma 3 seems to be the version that BI wants to make perfect, brought into the next gen animations physics etc. It would be a shame if vehicles stayed rather dull and fake with this iteration. Maybe in beta we will see more focus on vehicles and get some major improvements/overhauls :) I look forward to the future either way!

I'd love to see a more refined vehicle physics system. I mean, full analog throttle control not just 3 buttons that use pre-determined power settings. And when you really stomp the pedal in a quad or off-road, the tires rip into the dirt and kick up debris and spin out. Suspension improvements would also be nice. Right now vehicles feel similar to shoe-box cars just gliding across the ground. Sounds also need some serious work as the engines and tire effects sound really flat. There's no depth to them at all.

Arma 3 seems to be the version that BI wants to make perfect, brought into the next gen animations physics etc. It would be a shame if vehicles stayed rather dull and fake with this iteration. Maybe in beta we will see more focus on vehicles and get some major improvements/overhauls :) I look forward to the future either way!

q

how do you intergrate analogue controls when 90% of the user base dosn't have a analogue input?

how do you intergrate analogue controls when 90% of the user base dosn't have a analogue input?

The same way you integrate helicopter/plane analogue controls when 90% of users do not have a joystick? :)

I like it better now. in earlier builds it would constantly make that sound when you drove around. it was kinda silly

Skidding sounds, could be debated for days. (Don't get me wrong, if they fix the skidding happening too often it'd be fine). However, some sounds that'd be cool is the sound of tires bouncing on rough terrain, the silent running sound of tires on the road, the crunch of tires driving over rocks/dirt, etc. For a reference play any of the Dirt games, and listen to how the vehicle reacts to terrain.

Also even more off topic, it'd be cool if the engine could sound more strained depending on how hard you're pushing the vehicle. As of now you have the same engine tones for the same tasks of the vehicle, however in real life, if you took a heavy war machine up a hill, you'd hear it working harder then if it was on a flat surface or road.

The same way you integrate helicopter/plane analogue controls when 90% of users do not have a joystick? :)

so max collective, max reverse collective.

hate to tell you thats what we already, helis just default to hover (so neither accelerate or reverse) when you arn't pressing anything

so max collective, max reverse collective.

hate to tell you thats what we already, helis just default to hover (so neither accelerate or reverse) when you arn't pressing anything

No.. there are separate analog collective key bindings for helicopters, check the control options. The issue is that there are no analog key bindings for vehicle brakes or the "throttle".

Edited by simast

No.. there are separate analog collective key bindings for helicopters, check the control options. The issue is that there are no analog key bindings for vehicle brakes or the "throttle".

thats for the joystick axis

thats for the joystick axis

Yes, for the joystick "throttle" axis, which is analog input, which is what we are discussing here :)

And the issue is that no similar "analog" input key bindings for land vehicles are available in Arma 3.

Yes, for the joystick "throttle" axis, which is analog input, which is what we are discussing here :)

And the issue is that no similar "analog" input key bindings for land vehicles are available in Arma 3.

oh i thought you meant converting a key press into analogue.

i thought if you had peadals you could use them properly. If you can't put it on as a issue on the feedback tracker (See sig)