Sign in to follow this  
Jumbify

Convince me.

Hey guys,

At the moment I am on the fence about getting ARMA 3. I am a battlefield 3 veteran and am interested in trying something new, but I am not sure that that new thing should be ARMA 3. So, convince me as to why ARMA 3 is worth my $30 and why I might have fun. Go go go! :yay:

It costs as much as 3 DLC map packs for Battlefield 3.

Enough?

Get a free Alpha Lite and decide by yourself : here for example.

I would enjoy a code, are there any other places I might find them?

Better off buying A2;oa, A3 is alpha, limited, subject to change. Play AO, with ACE/acre for the full arma effect.

If someone convince you then you need to forget every other shooter when you enter in Arma series. It's that much different in every aspect not just gameplay.

Well it's nothing like BF3...

If you spent so much time on BF3, you may get frustrated pretty fast as Arma3 isn't an arcady run&shoot game designed to provide instant gratification.

I'ld suggest you find a way to test it before throwing money at it. Although the game is pretty cheap and not quite ready yet, it will get gradually more expensive until the release at full price. You never played the original OFP Cold War Crisis or any of the previous Arma games?

If not, I'ld suggest you download Arma2 Free. It's an impoverished version of Arma2, but should give you a taste of what this is all about.

While it's downloading please do check Panimala's and Dslyecxi's Youtube channels. They both showcase what kind of gameplay you can get playing Arma games online.

It costs as much as 3 DLC map packs for Battlefield 3.

Enough?

More like two on discount if EA feels generous... :rolleyes:

ArmA is the most heavily modded shooter around, even in Alpha there is more content than the entire Battlefield series ever had.

Well BF3 has no mods... But BF1942, Vietnam, BF2 and BF2142 had each a vast collection of mods and some of much better quality we ever saw in any Arma game.

Edited by dunedain

At the moment I am on the fence about getting ARMA 3. I am a battlefield 3 veteran and am interested in trying something new.

A veteran you say, of a less than two year old game you say? Ok first let us know your gaming background before Battlefield 3. As most know BF3 is known as a realistic FPS, it's core gameplay IS Run & Gun.

ArmA is more run/drive over 1km, fly over 10km. Recon a target. Call an air strike/artillery strike. Lase a high value target. Sneak up to the target. Infiltrate a village. Clear a compound. Capture a HVT. Rain down fire from a 30mm cannon with depleted uranium rounds. Use a unmanned littlebird to lase a target for a Apache Gunship waiting 3km away ready to fire off a hellfire. Or just plain old get spotted, get killed.

Convinced? Welcome to ArmA.

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

watch a lot of youtube videos and think for yourself.

there are a lot a pros and a few cons but to begin with you need to watch or check by yourself the playability at first hand.

;2380373']A veteran you say' date=' of a less than two year old game you say? Ok first let us know your gaming background before Battlefield 3. As most know BF3 is known as a realistic FPS, it's core gameplay IS Run & Gun.

ArmA is more run/drive over 1km, fly over 10km. Recon a target. Call an air strike/artillery strike. Lase a high value target. Sneak up to the target. Infiltrate a village. Clear a compound. Capture a HVT. Rain down fire from a 30mm cannon with depleted uranium rounds. Use a unmanned littlebird to lase a target for a Apache Gunship waiting 3km away ready to fire off a hellfire. Or just plain old get spotted, get killed.

Convinced? Welcome to ArmA.[/quote']

When I say veteran I mean that I put many hours into the game. My gamin history includes BO, Halo 2, 3, Reach, & 4. Im also enjoy games like DEFCON and Starcraft... So I think I can handle the slower pace. But after looking into this game more (especally Dislexy's and Killroy's videos) I think im going to get it.

Do you guys have any tips as to maximising my enjoyment of the game?

Thanks

Jumbify

Why do you need other people convice you to buy ArmA3? Seems you've got a sense of superiority from as being a BF3 veteran. Though BF3 have a better visual effects, but if considering about mil-sil, it's still a child comparing to ArmA series. Nobody in RL would fire a fight like you did in BF3, but more like they did in ARMA.

if you want maximum enjoyment from the game then get stuck in to every aspect of arma and see what you like, otherwise youll have "retard" in the arma community stating what you should play, and we have a lot of those, arma is about freedom not closed mindedness.

If anyone says you should play this or should play that try and ignore and make your own opinion on the matter.

Too often the "veterans" of this community tell you what to play and how to play it, the best thing you can do to those people is tell them to stick it, and play it how you want to.

Arma3 is amazing man! I used to be a huge BF3 fan but Arma3 experience blows BF3 out of the water, simple as that!

The statement shouldnt be "Convince me into buying it" - it should be "Convince me into NOT buying it!"

If u made a thread with that title, it would contain 0 replies lol.

if you want maximum enjoyment from the game then get stuck in to every aspect of arma and see what you like, otherwise youll have "retard" in the arma community stating what you should play, and we have a lot of those, arma is about freedom not closed mindedness.

If anyone says you should play this or should play that try and ignore and make your own opinion on the matter.

Too often the "veterans" of this community tell you what to play and how to play it, the best thing you can do to those people is tell them to stick it, and play it how you want to.

The first page of this thread pretty much proves this poster's point.

Jumbify, I say: Do you remember playing "Going Hunting", that one single-player jet level that basically was just an on-rails vehicle shooting segment but with even less aiming than in other games? Do you remember how the Hornet's guns were basically useless in that level because you weren't even piloting the thing? Don't you wish that you could have just been using the F/A-18E (the single-seat Super Hornet) from multiplayer so that you would have been piloting and gunning/launching missiles? Dangnabit Arma 3 will let you.

Do you wish that the maps were even bigger and that there were no artificial/invisible walls past which you could die if you stayed there too long for arbitrary gameplay reasons? The entire island of Stratis is "playable area".

Do you wish that you could play different match types besides just ol' Conquest, Rush, TDM, CTF? Heck, wouldn't you like to play matches like CTF, Scavenger, Tank Supremacy and Air Superiority without having to shell out for $15 DLC? Then look no further, we will build those matches for you (or you can roll your own when you learn how to).

Do you wish that there was a single-player campaign that lasted more than six hours in this day and age? There's plenty of one-off SP missions and some campaigns to be found in this community to whet your appetite, if you're indeed a SP-only kind of player.

Do you wish that you did not have to feel that there's an unending grind for unlocks, service stars and progression in general in MP because EA wants to keep you hooked until they can announce the next installment?

Do you wish that DICE knew how to game balance worth a damn, not make jets into "skygods" and find a way to make Recon worth playing for anything except MAV drivers and Spawn Beacon planters? Well guess what, Arma 3 doesn't have level progression, there's no grinding to do, and heck there's no soldier classes either! (The Editor's "classes" are essentially "default loadouts".) Heck, you can even take only part of someone else's kit, and you can even change/mix-and-match attachments when you do so! Or hell, change attachments on the fly if you've got others on you! (WARNING: These last two advantages only applies to Arma 3.)

Do you wish that someone had actually come up with a way for

?

Hell, would you like to out-silly Rendezook? Have some ARMA Kart 64 (Seriously.)

TL;DR: Welcome to Arma 3. :icon_twisted:

When I say veteran I mean that I put many hours into the game. My gamin history includes BO, Halo 2, 3, Reach, & 4. Im also enjoy games like DEFCON and Starcraft... So I think I can handle the slower pace. But after looking into this game more (especally Dislexy's and Killroy's videos) I think im going to get it.

Thanks

Jumbify

Spend some time in the 'Editor', that should win you over completely..:)

Oh and welcome.. I know you'll buy it..;)

If you liked what you saw on the ShakTak videos, then I suggest you find like-minded people in your time zone and play in a group. Most clans do public nights, that's always a good opportunity to get in and see.

>only mentions arcade FPs shooters.

...You're not going to find this easy to begin with and with your history doubly so.

Change of pace is an epic understatment. Those videos are edited to cut out the vast majority of the boring to stuff otherwise no one would watch or be interested. Nobody wants to watch a 1-2 hour op in its entirity. Then you have to remember the maps are bigger than anything ever seen, the ones you have seen on youtube only shall small portions of that island/map they are playing on and this map is considered SMALL. The next map we receive to test is 5x larger than the one we are on now.

Yes i know why take my word for it right? It's the internet after all and everyone lies and exaggerates things. This isn't 1 of those moments and i'm not 1 of those people.

Oh, and i hope you didn't find bf3 had a steep learning curve lol. Also, if you see a chopper, hit the deck don't fucking shoot at it. They're not the poxy RC helicopters in BF3, they're the real deal. Prepare for heart racing moments if ever 1 flies overhead.

simple, if your going to get ARM3 anyway, you save ~15USD off the launch price

You need some strangers to convince you about your own purchase??How about you start reading this forum,maybe watch some videos and you know form up your own opinion if this game is worth it or not.

First of all, welcome to the armaverse.

Try to get an arma 3 lite account(you can find them at many places) to get a feel for arma 3 because arma 2 is a lot stiffer than A3(but its still good if you want to see how it is) Just remember that with the lite version you cant use mods or play multiplayer. There are some showcases that more or less show of the different features but the editor is the biggest thing.

Apart from the fact that the selection of units and other things atm is a bit small you are totally free to do whatever you want. Want to just look around the island, spawn a car/helicopter or even just a regular soldier and run around the island. Want som quick action, spawn to squads and let them battle out. and so on, the opportunities are endless, even more when the full game is released.

Your lucky if you can buy Arma3 and run it as I cannot, but I have all the other games in the series.

All i can say is that Arma3 maybe not the right word Idk but the epitome of what we all been waiting for in terms of Arma's evolution.

Look at it this way, you can do anything that you only wish you could have in BF3, why because in the Arma games you can do anything, go anywhere, build anything.

With the existing game you can be anyone, drive anything, fly anything, shoot any gun, play anyway you want be it singleplayer, pubic mp servers, coop, the game has multiple editors, if you want to build new models, be it regular soldiers, tanks, planes, choppers, or mechs, or spaceships, you can do that!

If you just want to throw together a quick mission in the editor just to have someone to shoot at, you can do that,

anything you can imagine and create, or someone else has created be it addons mods, scripts, textures, maps ect,.

you can do that, you can play that, you can play anyway you want to in this game and series, there are no limitations!!!

There is no certain way to play, there is no better way to play, there is no right way to play, the game does have a learning curve in terms of controls, and a sort of realism aspect to it, but its a sandbox milsim sandbox, its basically a big fat editor, theres no cut and paste game that you buy that is final, there is no 5 mission, 1 campaign, and an option to do mp and that it, you can do anything and theres no limitations!

As has been said think for yourself, watch videos, read through the forums here, any questions ask,

the community here is massive we have all sorts of people here with many backgrounds in the series.

>only mentions arcade FPs shooters.

...You're not going to find this easy to begin with and with your history doubly so.

Change of pace is an epic understatment. Those videos are edited to cut out the vast majority of the boring to stuff otherwise no one would watch or be interested. Nobody wants to watch a 1-2 hour op in its entirity. Then you have to remember the maps are bigger than anything ever seen, the ones you have seen on youtube only shall small portions of that island/map they are playing on and this map is considered SMALL. The next map we receive to test is 5x larger than the one we are on now.

I found myself thinking the same thing.

Case in point. Mission from yesterday:

1- Destroy Armoured Column

1.a I never saw the column alive.

2- Most engagements were 500+m out

2.a Pretty much everything I engaged was a dot in the distance

3. Laid ambush.

3.a Lad on ground so long my internet got bored and dc'd me :D (felt like 30 mins but was probably 5-10 minutes)

3.b On reconnect a recon team had moved forward. Then the patrol we wanted to ambush showed up.

4. Recover vehicle

4.a I was on point with m249.

4.b Get shot in the face by the LAST guy hiding in some weeds.

Mission length 1hr x minutes.

Most Fun I will have until Friday!

Are you able to get enjoyment out of not engaging targets because you are too important? i.e Medic, engineer, w/e

Patient enough to handle large manoeuvres?

* note this is an example of an extreme. There are shorter more "actiony" missions available.

Edited by Masharra

Its kinda hard to "convince" someone to buy it. I think everyone knows the facts about the arma series now. Its realistic, its got a great modding community, its huge and intense.

Theres so much content to discover its hard to suggest anything without knowing you better. Except for the people that joined for DayZ/Wasteland only theres probably not a single playstyle out there that youll find twice. Some people enjoy SP, some people enjoy COOP, some people enjoy warfare maps, others want hardcore realistic scenarios...

You know the facts about the game and judging by your interest in shooters its easy to see that you will be able to enjoy the game. The thing is that getting the most out of your arma experience takes a bit of effort. Checking out mods and maps/missions, finding the right server, collecting content for your own collection. If you want a BF3-like experience where you hit a single button and youre thrown on a server and achievements and medals keep popping up everywhere that will be saved to your account, then youre probably looking at the wrong game.

Personally i can honestly say that arma 2 is the best game ive ever bought "bang for the buck" wise in my 20 years of PC gaming. There is little to no game on the market that delivers as much. So buy arma 2 if you want the best arma experience right now and get arma 3 if you still want the best arma experience a year from now.