Shooting through Scopes etc.

Do you want that to be true? or is it already in there  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want that to be true? or is it already in there

• Yes I want it
    • No I dont want it
    • It's already in there
    • They are planning to use it

I have tried to check and I dont think you can shoot through Binoculars, Scopes, glass and stuff like that

Do you want it? is it already intalled in the game?

Can you elaborate, because I don't think I understand question.

You mean like using binocs as improvised scope? Destroyable weapon models? Or something else?

Sorry but I vote no.

Its such a low chance of ever happening that there are many other things the devs should work on.

I think he is talking about something like this:

That is a perfect example

That is a perfect example

Yeah. Too bad it's impossible in real life.

I think that I saw a mythbuster episode where they were trying to shoot trought a rifle scope on a firing range. The result in all experiments were that the rifle optic was destroyed but the target remained "unharm" because the bullet was deflected by the lenses inside the scope.

Maybe a mechanism that would render the scope unservisable when hit by a bullet. Also could work for other attachement, for example if the under barrel grenade laucher was hit it would be non functional. Would be a nice addition (destroyable weapon parts) but I think that there are more important things to do first.

I would actually be quite surprised if the scopes had any sort of fire geometry lod (a special lod that tells the program how the surface interacts with bullets), or geometry LOD (telling the program the extents of the object for the purposes of collision) at all, nevermind a complex shape made of several different kinds of materials.

I voted no for the simple reason i don't like hollywood effects in the armaverse.

the scopes from ww2 or earlier maybe but moderned no

Not even that. Not from any distance greater than 50cm

as unrealistic as it is to have a round flawlessly penetrate through optics and deliver a kill shot.. What I would like to see are the weapon modifications to get physically damaged and unusable if struck by a round or debris.

Yeah, voted no. If you want to play Sniper Elite, buy that game instead, not Arma.

Sorry but I vote no.

Its such a low chance of ever happening that there are many other things the devs should work on.

This.

If you want to play Sniper Elite, buy that game instead, not Arma.

ANe5AeOIFm4

I voted "They are planning to use it" because I think it's hilarious to have that as an option in a poll ;)

True, I cant wait for more Melee knife polls, one option of the radio button needs to be "Request Ivan to personally come to your home and test it on you".

Maybe you don't realize it, but you guys are calling Carlos Hathcock a liar based on a Mythbusters episode. Not only is that show more entertainment than science, but

Still voted no because it appears to be impossible with modern weapons and highly unlikely even when it was, but I'd believe Hathcock over forum warriors and reality TV hosts.

Edited by Fuse

I think you will rather get Crabs on the battlefield then having someone shot trough a weaponscope. Why would anyone even aim at such a low-profil target? A full penetration killshot trough a scope is more like winning the lottery - 3 times in a row. Thats the same as asking for System Malfunctions on Targeting-Systems or anything of that microscopic chance to happen, it is possible but very very unlikely to happen, therefor we shouldnt ask for things that you might not even see once happening in A3 during a game-span of more then 5 years.

Fuse: Calm down, nobody is acusing anyone as a liar. It's something that depend on the scope that was hit. How many lenses it have inside to deflect the bullet. If it's an older scope with a small number of lenses it will go trought. Just as was shown in the video you provided. On modern scopes it's not likely.

Nobody called Hathcock a liar, that is just your assumption.

I would actually be quite surprised if the scopes had any sort of fire geometry lod (a special lod that tells the program how the surface interacts with bullets), or geometry LOD (telling the program the extents of the object for the purposes of collision) at all, nevermind a complex shape made of several different kinds of materials.

AFAIK weapons are bulletproof since ArmA1, can be annoying occasionally, though im not sure if its still the case in ArmA3.

Fuse: Calm down, nobody is acusing anyone as a liar.

Nobody called Hathcock a liar, that is just your assumption.

If one person says another person's story is impossible I'm not sure what else that could mean other than "they are lying". That doesn't make it malicious or mean I'm upset. Sorry if I sounded mad or like I was singling you out by mentioning Mythbusters, I just assume that show is why people say it's impossible. I can't imagine many have tried it on their own. I tried to temper it by saying "maybe you don't realize". :)

Maybe you don't realize it, but you guys are calling Carlos Hathcock a liar based on a Mythbusters episode. Not only is that show more entertainment than science, but

Still voted no because it appears to be impossible with modern weapons and highly unlikely even when it was, but I'd believe Hathcock over forum warriors and reality TV hosts.

Here's the difference: The scope Hathcock shot through was the M3 active NV sight of a VC. That's a large diameter scope, thus enabling him to actually shoot through it. If it'd been any other scope, it wouldn't have happened.

If one person says another person's story is impossible I'm not sure what else that could mean other than "they are lying". That doesn't make it malicious or mean I'm upset. Sorry if I sounded mad or like I was singling you out by mentioning Mythbusters, I just assume that show is why people say it's impossible. I can't imagine many have tried it on their own. I tried to temper it by saying "maybe you don't realize". :)

FWIW, it can mean "they are mistaken", which is very different to "they are lying".

Back to the topic, no: I'm not interested in Arma trying to model a bullet's path through weapon optics. I *would* like to see weapon damage made possible. I get a bit frustrated when I see three rounds ping off an AI's gun, only to have him shoot straight back at me with it.

Here's the difference: The scope Hathcock shot through was the M3 active NV sight of a VC. That's a large diameter scope, thus enabling him to actually shoot through it. If it'd been any other scope, it wouldn't have happened.

As I said "it appears to be impossible with modern weapons and highly unlikely even when it was". It sounds like we're saying basically the same thing? :confused:

FWIW, it can mean "they are mistaken", which is very different to "they are lying".

Well in that case I once jumped nude from the top of the Empire State Building, but I guess I could be mistaken. ;)