Sign in to follow this  
Fap

Compilation of issues I've found or read about intensively.

Recoil is immensely stupid. What are you trying to simulate? Are we all trying to control robots, that have no idea what recoil is, and have to manually adjust with our MICE? This is so immersion breaking, and unrealistic. There is no argument, this needs to be fixed.

Scroll Menu - I'm slightly confused about what to do with this one.. It's immersion breaking, yes. Opening doors through a scroll menu, hm. I know you can press Space, or use the Scroll Wheel for clicking (Which I do all the time), but, when you're hurt, or when you have Satchel Charges, or something of more importance, and you're in battle.. It's very easy to misclick a satchel charge, or start healing yourself. The amount of times I had to heal someone on the floor and then he jittered around like things regularly do, or the menu just disappeared, I'll plant a satchel on his face instead of healing him.

No argument, this needs to be fixed/changed. Opening doors should not require pinpoint aiming either as seen in ArmA 2 especially. A single keypress aimed towards the door from a not too far distance, and maybe a 1 second animation with your hand going towards the door would be nice.

Also we don't need 10 keys that all do the same thing, change perhaps spacebar into the universal "Climb/Open" key. Holding Shift on the ladder makes us perhaps slide down (where available). We'll be opening doors / climbing ladders often enough to make it a worthwhile change.

Satchels/explosives etc. should perhaps have a hotkey/inventory free floating bar that you can open (imagine the ArmA 3 inventory system, but only a single bar), by pressing something like Ctrl+I, whatever, and then having to use your mouse to double click to start placing it, or dragging it out from the inventory with your mouse to simulate the placement. Anything, honestly ANYTHING, would be better than what we have right now. Accidentally placing satchels on teammates or while trying to open cars, sigh, rageworthy.

Tree Collisions / Chopper / Quadbike acceleration / navigating vehicle as gunner, very awkward, could be intended

Hitting ground with 100km/s in a chopper is mostly only enough to get the INST red, nothing else happens. When barely touching a tree with your landing gear, the entire chopper explodes. >Must be fixed

Quadbike acceleration is like driving a three wheeled kiddies bike at the moment, I guess this has been mentioned, just thought I'd add it to the list.

Oh and yeah, navigating a vehicle as anything other than driver is very awkward, sometimes the AI driver doesn't listen when I press A or D. or stops turning even when I hold down one of them. This is not a keyboard issue as i've tried on other keyboards.. maybe it's something else, I don't know.

In a helicopter, when I press Q or Z, I am rotating the helicopter rotor blades horizontally, right? Not lowering or increasing the rotational speed, right? If not, this is something that should be fixed as it would make helicopter flight a lot more realistic. (As it is now, if you go up for a short amount of time, only decreasing the spin speed, it takes too long to go downwards. Helicopters aren't this hard to maneuver in real life.)

Edited by Fap

As a major hater on the scroll bar I'm just going to give you a bump and a bit of praise.

Yay Fap!

Q and Z raise and lower collective respectively. This is the pitch of the blade.

Thank you, thank you!

But what I mean with Q/Z in the chopper is that it feels like flying a car. You rely on gravity to fly down, my remote controlled helicopter turns the blades so the direction of air pull gets turned around, the engine is always on full speed and isn't something you change..

As far as my reading goes, I read that this is also how it works with real helicopters?

:checking your sig links:

Your sig link reminded me of something I forgot to add, the mounted guns on vehicles and popping 4 tires thing making you unable to enter.. yeah, stupid indeed

That is correct. I believe in ArmA, Q and Z only change the pitch, not the RPM. I could be wrong.

TOH FM is not in the alpha(or even beta, or might be never, which is a shame)

As for scroll menus, I personally wish separated keybindings for selecting different weapons and even items and explosives, a tab to cycle/hold and release to select scroll menu might provide a good for both camp.

Take On Helicopters, what is FM? I never played TOH, sadly.

I personally don't remember ever using TAB for anything, actually there's a helluva a lot of keys I don't use. TAB could be used to cycle through main/offhand/rocket.. Or (silly idea), TAB once to get Main Weapon, TAB twice to get pistol, TAB three times or perhaps hold it for a second to get rocket launcher/etc out?

I sometimes (rarely though) accidentally click on the launcher instead of pistol, the animations are so so so slow and valuable seconds are lost in the transition/animation. Even when selecting the rifle again. But this is so counter intuitive it hurts.

I obviously agree they need to make weapon swapping easier/smoother somehow..

Also, perhaps speed it up. It doesn't take long to fling the rocket launcher on your back and pick up your rifle hanging from your waist in real life, why does it have to take almost a whole minute in A3?

Gorbachev; It doesn't feel like ArmA changes the pitch of the blades, it feels like it only slows down and lets gravity do its work. This is what I mean :(

Oh, man, I forgot all about the recoil. You're right, a sentient being would automatically attempt to compensate for recoil, so the weapon should return to somewhere pretty close to it's original position a bit after firing automatically.

Would it be doable to still have the cursor spring up and then back down automatically? Thus if the player wanted to fire rapidly they'd still have to compensate for the initial kick, but if they fired in slower bursts the cursor would automatically be doing most of the work for them. I think a concept like that would be interesting to play around with.

The recoil should just be changed to what it was like in ArmA 2, that worked perfectly fine, even though it wasn't quite as realistic as could be.

I don't really know what you mean by the cursor moving.. If it's anything like below, then hell no :)

I hate games like BF3/CS where if you aim down the scope of a shotgun, it somehow magically becomes more precise and has 50% of the spread. Or that your gun kicks up when you shoot, but the bullet spread gets wider and wider and wider the longer you hold the trigger. This is just unrealistic and it's also the reason why I only use powerful one shot weapons for headshots.. anything requiring more than one shot in these games I can't bear playing with, hah.

I pray to the gods that BI doesn't do something like this, but instead just fix the recoil.

I like how it is now, as in, where you aim the gun, the bullet goes. This should never change, only recoil.

Maybe cut the amount of recoil travel to half after a few bullets leave the weapon.This is to simulate that once the first bullet is fired you can then lean into it for a bit more control.

"If it's anything like below" What below are we talking here?

Counterstrike doesn't have shotguns with scopes? Let alone sights for most weapons. Maybe you mean like crouching or slow walking?

Anyways my ideal version of scoped vs. unscoped is just accuracy vs. precision. Where unscoped your weapon will still be putting rounds exactly where it's pointed, but you won't know exactly where it's pointed (without LAM) so it will still be precise but not accurate. And then bring up your optics/sights and you've got accuracy and precision. Of course scoped or unscoped you'd still be dealing with recoil.

Anyways yeah, I basically mean a step more towards how accuracy works in A2/OA. Although it's not a complete deal breaker for me as is.

Also we don't need 10 keys that all do the same thing, change perhaps spacebar into the universal "Climb/Open" key.

this is a great idea

Perhaps yeah, the first shot of a weapon is what you get used to, the second shot is pretty much the last shot you need to stand right for no recoil like there is in-game. OR just all around remove recoil like it is, add in some gun shaking. Would be ten times more realistic, not to mention the feeling and very simple to setup.

"If it's anything like below" What below are we talking here?

Counterstrike doesn't have shotguns with scopes? Let alone sights for most weapons. Maybe you mean like crouching or slow walking?

Anyways my ideal version of scoped vs. unscoped is just accuracy vs. precision. Where unscoped your weapon will still be putting rounds exactly where it's pointed, but you won't know exactly where it's pointed (without LAM) so it will still be precise but not accurate. And then bring up your optics/sights and you've got accuracy and precision. Of course scoped or unscoped you'd still be dealing with recoil.

Anyways yeah, I basically mean a step more towards how accuracy works in A2/OA. Although it's not a complete deal breaker for me as is.

Sorry don't know what I was thinking with CS and shotgun scopes, that was all Battlefield 3. But the reticule "size" is still there, to picture how much of a spread there is when firing. quite off topic I got suddenly

None of these problems are deal breakers for me either, but they would definitely make the game a lot better if fixed ;)

I was perfectly fine with ArmA 2's recoil, but ArmA 3 completely overexaggerated every single weapon, especially when PISTOLS have more kick than a sniper rifle..

@Fap, have you reported these issues as feedback to the tracker? http://feedback.arma3.com/my_view_page.php

Sorry no, I have no clue how, was hoping someone else would do this :S

Edited by Fap

this is a great idea

<3

I just realized another thing, grenades and smoke. Everything you toss in game will also fly the way you are running if you are sidestrafing. This is not realistic.

I toss a grenade at something I am aiming, and it should hit it.. hm... Maybe I just aim properly instinctively in real life.. not sure

this is a great idea

How about space = the universal use/open key.

And how about adding an inventory radio. If you don't have this radio, you can't call support or communicate with your AI squadmates via the command menu. Move all script added actions to the radio.

I can dig it.

We have too many keys that do the same thing anyways.

Also there should be completely different control schemes in all the different types of vehicles, you know?

Like in a tank, I hate having to press 0 on the numpad to get the optics out, but I can't change it just for tanks since that's a "global" key.. or well I don't know about Num 0, but there's definitely other keys where this won't work..

TL;DR - Different control schemes for each vehicle/man - completely separated for ease of use.

For the most part they have been separated. However, the "Use Optics/Sights" key is not the same in vehicles as it is for infantry by default. This is mind boggling. Also, holding the right mouse button is not consistently zoom in every vehicle. Sometimes you just tap it to zoom, others you hold it and vice versa for vehicle optics. This level of inconsistency screams "bad design" to me.

For the most part they have been separated. However, the "Use Optics/Sights" key is not the same in vehicles as it is for infantry by default. This is mind boggling. Also, holding the right mouse button is not consistently zoom in every vehicle. Sometimes you just tap it to zoom, others you hold it and vice versa for vehicle optics. This level of inconsistency screams "bad design" to me.

1+

1/3 from the keyboard have keys where make others the same - and not intuitive to hardcore and very frustrating for new players ^^

i work a picture series for a better keyplacement ;) maby a bis dude find it great and we can made in the beta chances - in the name off all the newbies :D

Edited by JgBtl292

I honestly cannot believe that Primary, Secondary, Launcher and Satchel/Mine do not have number keys set for them.

1 = Rifle

2 = Pistol

3 = Launcher

4 = Satchel/IED

5 = Mine

Why the hell do we need to scroll wheel and select, it's so bloody clunky.

Also 100% agree on a shortcut key for opening doors or climbing ladders! You should be able to press a single key and when your player is close enough he will move into the animation.

I honestly cannot believe that Primary, Secondary, Launcher and Satchel/Mine do not have number keys set for them.

1 = Rifle

2 = Pistol

3 = Launcher

4 = Satchel/IED

5 = Mine

Why the hell do we need to scroll wheel and select, it's so bloody clunky.

Also 100% agree on a shortcut key for opening doors or climbing ladders! You should be able to press a single key and when your player is close enough he will move into the animation.

Beacuse this is not an MP game only, and numbers are used for orders to your team mates or AI, ain't difficult to try to adapt to the arma gameplay wich is the same from 2001, there are thousands of player never had these kind of problems related to scroll menu, and weapon change, and this is not CoD or Batllefield and i hope will never be or i'll forget forever Arma too, Arma is excellent as it be and as it always been

Beacuse this is not an MP game only, and numbers are used for orders to your team mates or AI, ain't difficult to try to adapt to the arma gameplay wich is the same from 2001, there are thousands of player never had these kind of problems related to scroll menu, and weapon change, and this is not CoD or Batllefield and i hope will never be or i'll forget forever Arma too, Arma is excellent as it be and as it always been

Seriously, throwing me the COD and Battlefield insult is really poor. The reason I suggest numbers is because they are a single key press. Think about it for a second, if in real life I want to change from Rifle to Pistol, this decision is made almost instantly. The only delay should be a short time for the animation to complete.

I have hundreds of hours of Arma 2 play under my belt, so I know how to use the scroll wheel. That doesn't remove the fact it's clunky, cumbersome and much more open to user error than pressing a single key.

Those keys could have dual purpose: as long as no subordinate unit is selected then they can select equipment. If a subordinate unit IS selected then the number keys act as command menu selectors.

I mean, as long as the switch between equipments takes the same amount of time, how you do it is unimportant, so might as well make it intuitive.

I'm pretty ambivalent about it really, but I've seen this issue come up several times.

on the numbers:

-i cant see why it shouldnt be allowed to assign those buttons freely

besides that:

while arma 3 made huuuuuge improvements in infantry movement and weapon handling in terms or responsiveness and "natural" feel PLUS successfully put an innovation ON TOP (fluid stances),

i would still demand a "cancel animation" button or something, its still one of the most frustrating things about arma if you get shot while stuck in some clumsy RPG reload animation or something...

another thing that would increase the perceived resonsiveness of your character handling is the rifle colission, i wonder if it was possible to implement some clunky sound bit that indicates your rifle hitting or scratching the wall so you will know whats up and dont have that mystical feel of invisible midgets trying to immobilize you...

Seriously, throwing me the COD and Battlefield insult is really poor.

Insult ? where?, i've just said : [(arma) and this is not CoD or Batllefield and i hope will never be or i'll forget forever Arma too]